PDA

View Full Version : help needed with tent features

vibedog
08-27-2008, 16:52
everyone, i need some help. besides weight, what are the important features that a tent must have in order to have a successful week on the trail? i have seen tents range from 40 bucks to 500 bucks. what must a hiker have as far as featrues are concerned?

Tipi Walter
08-27-2008, 16:58
I'll be the first one to say it: Ignore all suggestions to use a hammock instead.

NICKTHEGREEK
08-27-2008, 16:58
everyone, i need some help. besides weight, what are the important features that a tent must have in order to have a successful week on the trail? i have seen tents range from 40 bucks to 500 bucks. what must a hiker have as far as featrues are concerned?
Waterproof is a big plus, good ventilation, and a degree of strength to not fold like a cheap umbrella in a good breeze. I like about 16 sq ft of floor and about 4 sq ft of vestibule storage per occupant.

Egads
08-27-2008, 17:00
Dry, weight, volume, ventilation, vestibule, # of doors, durability, packed size, color, pockets, free standing, price, erection time...

Tipi Walter
08-27-2008, 17:02
Just a week and never again? I'd get a cheap Walmart ozark trail 3-pole dome(last priced: $28)and forget about it. Will it leak? Yes. Will the poles break in a high wind? Yes. But for one week of camping it will do okay.

Jim Adams
08-27-2008, 17:04
2 people, 2 doors...free standing and a rain fly that comes close to the ground.
There really is alot more to it but as long as you have these three things, even a poor tent can be made to function.

geek

vibedog
08-27-2008, 17:06
thanks for the help. i will be taking future hikes. my brother and i will hiking the AT in the GSMNP for a shakedown to see if we want to move forward and section hike the entire AT. i am looking for good info on why the 300 to 400 dollar tents are the way to go or not?

Pedaling Fool
08-27-2008, 17:12
thanks for the help. i will be taking future hikes. my brother and i will hiking the AT in the GSMNP for a shakedown to see if we want to move forward and section hike the entire AT. i am looking for good info on why the 300 to 400 dollar tents are the way to go or not?
Make sure you shop around, even consider buying a used tent, no reason to spend so much on a tent. I have a $100 (new) Kelty teton 2 tent that I've used on 3 long-distance hikes and 2 cycling trips w/o ground cloth. It still has many years of use left.

Jim Adams
08-27-2008, 17:18
You don't need a $300-$400 tent. If you shop around you can find last years models of those tents new for $100-$200. If this is more than a 1 shot deal then try to buy the best you can...the differences in quality are great and do make a difference in long term useage and comfort.

geek

Jim Adams
08-27-2008, 17:23
Just to give you an idea of what is out there.
I use a Kelty Gunnison 2 for canoe camping. Free standing, very dry, very easy to ventilate, 2 doors and 2 vestibules, very easy to set up and with care will last 10 years. The 5.5lb weight keeps me from taking it backpacking but if 2 people split the weight it is a great tent for $149.
There are alot of great 3 season tents out there for a good price, just shop around.

geek

Tipi Walter
08-27-2008, 17:24
Here's a pretty good hard and fast rule learned by many backpackers over many years: Buy the best quality, top-of-the-line item you can find and you'll save money in the long run. High quality gear is well thought-out gear and therefore is the most expensive, etc. But this kind of gear is just overkill for most intermittent backpacking.

Nowadays people are enamored with the screen tents like the Seedhouses/Eurekas/Sierra Designs/North Face/Keltys and the single walls like the Tarptents and Six Moons.

The main question is, will you be using it alot and in all four seasons? In the winter on top of open balds? Or just in the summer? And even here, most 3 season all-netting type tents work well enough year round and I see many winter backpackers using what I would consider summer tents.

The next big thing is square footage. Here I differ from most as I want something at least 30-36 sq feet in volume. 16 sq feet is SMALL, very small, and you'll have to ask yourself how many days you might be holed up in such a tent during a blizzard. Plus, sq footage is also a consideration in regards to total inner tent length(usually 87 to 92 inches). If the tent is too short your sleeping bag foot will rub up against wet condensating walls and keep it wet, especially when the bag is a couple inches off the ground on a sleeping pad, shortening the angle of the tent walls, etc etc etc.

Check out Campmor and find a Eureka or a Kelty or a North Face and that will be good enough.

Summit
08-27-2008, 17:45
I'll be the first one to say it: Ignore all suggestions to use a hammock instead.What happened to 'tipi lovers anonymous?' Did you wander into the hammockers anonymous meeting next door last meeting? :D

general
08-27-2008, 17:50
eureka makes really nice, roomy, bombproof, light, cheap tents. i've never seen one that i didn't like.

Summit
08-27-2008, 17:52
I agree with Tipi on the space considerations. Cocoons (solo tents) are for caterpillars. Pass the human comfort, please! Besides suggesting a two-person tent for a solo hiker (that would be me), the tarp, single-wall, double-wall, lots of mesh, little or no mesh choices all involve gives and takes. You have to decide what will best meet your intended use (seasons) and personality.

jesse
08-27-2008, 18:27
I am a weekend backpacker. I love my homemade ray-way tarp, and net tent. Total weight for both including stakes is a little less than 2lbs. $119 gets you the kits for the tarp, net tent, and the book.

http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Tarp-Kit/index.htm

troglobil
08-27-2008, 21:04
try renting one. many stores offer this service. If you don't like it, you aren't out much.

rafe
08-27-2008, 21:34

Under 3 lbs (give or take a few oz.) Any decent name brand. Eureka Spitfire, Sierra Designs Light Year, MSR Hubba, Tarptents (Rainbow, Squall, Contrail,) Big Agnes SL1... to name a few. The Spitfire's a great tent for the money.

Understand the difference between single and double-walled, and freestanding vs. non- freestanding, and you'll be in a better position to find the right tent for you.

phishpapond
08-27-2008, 21:46
I got this tent at walmart it's ok.I am not counting on it keeping me dry so I got a tarp to hang over it and everything was about 28 bucks. Just the right amount of room for me and my gear.Took me about 2 min to set up the first time I did it. It uses guy lines and is not free standing
I got this thinking that when I go on my first section hike [in about two weeks] I won't be out a ton of money if i don't go out again. That and the fact that I am cheap as hell. I put my entire pack together for about 300.00 that includes food 4.0oz stove and backpack. Really everything. It won't be a long term item but will make it a couple of weeks no problem.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8136423#ShortReviewTitleBar

Egads
08-27-2008, 22:04
Use an $80-120 tarp at ~10 oz.

Marta
08-28-2008, 07:13
Vibedog--

You actually shouldn't need a tent for your section-hike in the Smokies. You're supposed to stay in shelters, and should have reserved spots in the ones on your itinerary.

That said, I would have some sort of emergency shelter along for the ride, such as a silnylon poncho, plus lines and stakes. Or a mylar space blanket/body bag, which can also double as your groundcloth in the shelters.

Since tents are relatively expensive, before you buy one, I'd recommend renting and going on a tame expedition to someplace where there are likely to be a lot of other tents set up. A state park campground on a busy weekend is a possibility. Tent City at Trail Days would be ideal. Stroll along and strike up conversations with people who own the various types of tents. Ask them what they like and dislike about their tents. See which ones take your fancy.

Alligator
08-28-2008, 07:51
Having another person to split the weight, that way you get all the features you want:). Do you backpack alone, or with someone else mostly? I've got a nice stormworthy two person tent, but damn it's heavy when hiking by myself. So I lose a few features by using a hammock or a tarp or a single wall pyramid tent when hiking alone.

Headroom is important, can you sit up in it? Can two people sit up in it and play cards? A vestibule is good, a pocket or two is nice, screening for letting out the odor of your stinky hike partner, two doors is a plus for middle of the night trips. Length is a consideration for taller folks. It's got to handle the weather, but if you are not hiking in the winter, you don't need a four season tent. I second Geek's advice and look for last year's model. Try Sierra Trading Post, Reioutlet, or any of the clearance sections of the other major online stores.

Gray Blazer
08-28-2008, 08:00
Just a week and never again? I'd get a cheap Walmart ozark trail 3-pole dome(last priced: $28)and forget about it. Will it leak? Yes. Will the poles break in a high wind? Yes. But for one week of camping it will do okay.

You can pick up one of those free almost anywhere on the trail, No kidding, I see those abandoned all the time.

I've been using the Ozark pup tent that my kids abandoned 15 years ago. I've got a light tarp that I put over it so it's double walled (important if you don't want condensation dripping on you all night). It's made it through a few good storms when everyone elses' tarps blew away. The last one was the remnants of Bertha up on Big Bald.

I'll never be a real hiker because I can't afford the gear.:banana

Tipi Walter
08-28-2008, 08:11
You can pick up one of those free almost anywhere on the trail, No kidding, I see those abandoned all the time.

I've been using the Ozark pup tent that my kids abandoned 15 years ago. I've got a light tarp that I put over it so it's double walled (important if you don't want condensation dripping on you all night). It's made it through a few good storms when everyone elses' tarps blew away. The last one was the remnants of Bertha up on Big Bald.

I'll never be a real hiker because I can't afford the gear.:banana

It's funny you should say this as I found a dumped ozark trail tent sitting on the trail leading up to Bob Bald on a not-so-recent trip. I went thru a period in the late 1990s when I was without a decent tent and instead used a series of subpar shelters. Two in particular: A 1970s model Eureka Timberline A-frame(orange)I found in a yard sale and which I slept in for at least 100 nights in the woods behind the church I worked at. And at the same place I used a cheap Walmart $28 dome with fiberglass poles for an additional 100plus nights.

The Eureka was a fine tent though the floor was like a sieve and leaked. The ozark trail had to be completely duct taped and refurbished with added guy lines, etc. A real piece of work. I took it on a 10 day camping trip to South Dakota where a thunderstorm with high winds snapped a couple of the poles as I was OUTSIDE STANDING IN THE WIND AND RAIN holding the thing together.

Eventually I buckled under and got a $325 Mt Hardwear Muir Trail tent(frog style A-frame)and was back in the saddle again.

DavidNH
08-28-2008, 10:21
the tent should be waterproof and breathable first and foremost.
--If not waterproof, there is no need for a tent, might as well be outside.
--If not breathable you will still get wet or at least be miserably uncomfortable in humid weather.

For me, it is important that the tent/tarp be tall enough so that you can sit up inside. I don't care if it is weightless, if I don't have space to fully sit up in tent then it is just not comfortable.

Easy to set up. Corralary to this: Practice at home BEFORE you set up in the woods so you can do it in the dark if necessary.

light as possible but still have all the features above.

mosquito netting is nice so you can have a view.

That's bout it far as I am concerend. all else is fluff.

Yes you can spend 300-500 even 700+ on a tent. However for AT hiking I doubt you realy need to spend more than 200-300 tops and many get by just find on sub 200 dollar tents. However, I personally would be skeptable about any tent going for under 100 bucks!

For warm weather portions of trip, check into Henry Shires Tarp Tents. very light and works very well. Only disadvanatge...they are NOT free standing, most models anyway. They use your trekking poles as part of the setup!

DavidNH

mudhead
08-28-2008, 11:07
I don't think I would happily buy a front entry tent. Make sure the netting is no-see-um netting. I remember mosquito netting.

Try the tent in a shop if you can. Not all zippers are created equal. Can't describe it, but I know when I don't like the feel of them.

Appalachian Tater
08-29-2008, 11:09
Vibedog--

You actually shouldn't need a tent for your section-hike in the Smokies. You're supposed to stay in shelters, and should have reserved spots in the ones on your itinerary.

That said, I would have some sort of emergency shelter along for the ride, such as a silnylon poncho, plus lines and stakes. Or a mylar space blanket/body bag, which can also double as your groundcloth in the shelters.

Since tents are relatively expensive, before you buy one, I'd recommend renting and going on a tame expedition to someplace where there are likely to be a lot of other tents set up. A state park campground on a busy weekend is a possibility. Tent City at Trail Days would be ideal. Stroll along and strike up conversations with people who own the various types of tents. Ask them what they like and dislike about their tents. See which ones take your fancy.That's the best advice on this thread considering where you will be hiking. For that hike, you only need an emergency shelter.

If you see a tent you like, ask if you can have a look inside. Most people are more than happy to talk about their gear if you ask. Just from sitting inside a red tent and an orange tent set up in a store I realized I couldn't stand the weird colored light it creates. If I had never gotten in a hammock, I wouldn't have realized that it wasn't comfortable to me.

Tipi Walter
08-29-2008, 11:21
Vibedog--

Uh, I believe vibedog said he wants to do more backpacking than just his section hike in the Smokies:

So, he will need a tent, hence his thread . . .

Mocs123
08-29-2008, 11:47
my brother and i will hiking the AT in the GSMNP for a shakedown to see if we want to move forward and section hike the entire AT

If you are hiking the AT through the Smokies, then you might not even need a tent. The only place on the AT in the Smokies where it is actually legal to use a tent if you are not a thru hiker is at campsite 113 (which is often closed anyways). Unfortunately you have to use the shelters in the park. You might hike the AT through the park without a tent and just a tarp or bivy for an emergency shelter.

I have a hammock, and Big Agnes Seedhouse 1SL. Spending more money normally gets you a lighter, stronger tent, but there are good deals to be had. I personally would recommend getting two solo tents rather than one 2 person tent. 2 person tents are always too cramped for me to stay in with anyone except my wife.

As for section hiking the whole AT, you might break it down into smaller sections. My goal currently is to section hike the part between Springer Mountain GA and Damascus, VA which is about 460 miles. It is taking me about 2.5 years with sections mixed in with trips elsewhere.

Wags
08-29-2008, 11:52
-2 doors is nice. you'll have a dry vestibule and doorway, one door or the other, regardless of sideways rain and wind. plus if you have 2 people you can get in and out w/o stepping on each other

-aluminum poles, fiberglass won't hold up

-is the tent roomy enough that you could spend hours inside it in case of bad weather

-freestanding is a nice convenient feature

-don't ever pay full price. you can find 99% of tents available either on sale or used

Rain Man
08-29-2008, 12:39
everyone, i need some help. besides weight, what are the important features that a tent must have in order to have a successful week on the trail?

I haven't seen anyone mention "free standing" yet, so I will. I am a fan of tents that you don't HAVE to stake down for them to stand up and function properly. Tents that will work on hard, rocky soil, or on wooden tent platforms, or for that matter even in shelters (if no one else is there) in extreme weather.

I like the new REI T-series of tents. They are free standing, now have fantastic head and shoulder room, and of course come with REI's unconditional life-time guarantee. As others said, I also like two side doors.

One more feature I like for a tent to have is the ability to leave the "tent" at home and just take the rainfly and footprint when bugs are not a problem. Reduces weight tremendously and still is fully-functional. I've done that more than once.

But I've yet to see a feature mentioned, my own included, that you "must have" to have a successful week on the trail. Earl Shaffer succeeding from Georgia to Maine without a tent after the first week.

Rain:sunMan