PDA

View Full Version : Hombre

Hombre
03-09-2004, 16:08
I'm planning to take 5 day hike around May in Smoky Mountains. The elevation will be around 5,ooo.feet for the 5 days.(Virgin Wool versus synthetics.) I realize that wool is heavier than synehetics but all of my equipment like sleelping bag, backpack and tarptent is ultralight. Wool even when wet will keep you warm. My question is, what would you take? Wool jacket or synthetic jacket like patagonia puff ball?

Thank you :)

MOWGLI
03-09-2004, 16:22
My question is, what would you take? Wool jacket or synthetic jacket like patagonia puff ball?

While partial to rag wool socks, if I owned a Patagonia Puffball jacket, I'd take it. It's a nice garment. Wool will work too though. There were plenty of hikers out on the trail before the advent of synthetics.

Hombre
03-11-2004, 18:45
While partial to rag wool socks, if I owned a Patagonia Puffball jacket, I'd take it. It's a nice garment. Wool will work too though. There were plenty of hikers out on the trail before the advent of synthetics.
Thank you for answering my question. :sun :sun

Chip
03-11-2004, 19:50
For hiking in May I like a fleece jacket. If the wind picks up I can put a light weight rain jacket or poncho over the fleece to block out the cold air.;)

max patch
03-11-2004, 20:09
I'm planning to take 5 day hike around May in Smoky Mountains. The elevation will be around 5,ooo.feet for the 5 days.(Virgin Wool versus synthetics.) I realize that wool is heavier than synehetics but all of my equipment like sleelping bag, backpack and tarptent is ultralight. Wool even when wet will keep you warm. My question is, what would you take? Wool jacket or synthetic jacket like patagonia puff ball?

Thank you :)

I started my thru 5/1 so I was in the Smokies sometime around mid-month. I took a wool rag sweater because I didn't own a synthetic one. I now prefer the synthetic, however, the wool sweater worked all the way to Maine so take whichever you prefer. BTW, had snow flurries in the GSMNP when I went through.

MOWGLI
03-11-2004, 23:46
Thank you for answering my question. :sun :sun

You're welcome! Have a great hike.

Tomorrow I'm going to Great Smoky Mountain National Park with my 13 y.o. daughter. We''re going to hike the Albright Grove - Maddron Bald Trail. I'm pretty excited about seeing some really BIG trees.

Jaybird
03-12-2004, 09:05
I'm planning to take 5 day hike around May in Smoky Mountains. .......................What would you take? Thank you :)

Hombre:

i'm hiking in May in the Smokies...i'm taking fleece.
wool socks (SmartWool), but nothing else wool.

maybe i'll see you out there!
(Clingmans to Hot Springs May 1-8)

hikin' with "Jigsaw", "Model-T", "DragonFly", & "TooTall". (aka: "the Model-T Crew") :D