PDA

View Full Version : SOBO sightings?

Heater
08-28-2008, 04:25
:DWhere are all the SOBOers?:cool:Austexs

Jeff
08-28-2008, 06:09
Tonight, August 27th at Green Mountain House we are hosting southbounders Grizz, Earthworm, D-Wreck, Superman and Bootstrap. There are still plenty of NOBO's near Manchester, VT as well.

Check out our Trailjournals for lots of hikers you might recognize:

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=380480

sasquatch2014
08-28-2008, 08:07
Met a bunch that have come through Pawling NY already. The two that I saw yesterday were Stretch and Slot Machine. They were hiking with No Car who will wrap up his Flip Flop this weekend.

modiyooch
08-28-2008, 08:33
anybody seen Half Gallon? I met him near Pinkham on July 31. He seemed to be a strong and determined hiker.

Jeff
08-28-2008, 10:53
Don't know Half Gallon, but One Gallon was through Manchester,VT August 22nd.

Here is his pic:

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=378619

Peanut
08-28-2008, 11:30
I'm a week into Maine and have run into at least one each of the last few days. :)

Jack Tarlin
08-28-2008, 13:53
At least four left Hanover today, or are planning to.

Nice folks, too.

Dakota_
08-28-2008, 14:07
Plank, boulder, Calamity Jane, Caveman/Jeremiah, Detour/Gregg and Dakota are in the Hanover area today and moving south.

Jack Tarlin
08-28-2008, 14:12
As a general rule, I'm not sure that the exact whereabouts of individual hikers should be publicly posted, especially that of women hikers. Obviously, if they choose to post this information themselves, like Dakota did, or if they have Internet journals, or if they post regularly to Trail websites (like Chaco or Matty or Wak for example) that's another matter, but as a general rule, especially as regards solo women hikers, I simply don't think this is a good thing to do.

Call me old fashioned, but friends and families of hikers generally have a really good idea of their whereabouts, and this isn't necessarily information that needs to be publicly posted.

Jeff
08-28-2008, 14:54
Jack, you raise a good point. Can't be too careful regarding personal safety.

Red Hat
08-29-2008, 13:45
One early June starter has left Pearisburg and should be Damascus bound soon. A few are in NY/NJ, but most are in MA/CT.

Blissful
08-29-2008, 13:50
Go, SOBOS!

Good luck finishing - NOBOs. This time last year we were entering Maine. Lots of really tough but good memories.

max patch
08-29-2008, 13:59
As a general rule, I'm not sure that the exact whereabouts of individual hikers should be publicly posted, especially that of women hikers.

I agree with Jack and mention this at least once a year when these types of threads get started.

After a female hiker was met at a trailhead by a young man who was reading her journal and wanted to meet her, Wingfoot started to delay posting updates for hikers who used his online journals for about a week to make it more difficult for stalkers to track down hikers.

Jack Tarlin
08-29-2008, 17:26
Thanx, Max.

This happens more often than you think. In my opinion, you shouldn't post the exact whereabouts or itinerary of a hiker, especially a woman hiker, unless you KNOW they want this information publicly posted.

And the vast majority of them DON'T.

Nicksaari
08-29-2008, 17:32
im staying in the Pocosin Cabin on the trail in SNP sept 6-9th, will there be SOBOs in the park by this time?

thinking of bringing extra food, case of beer, water for some trail magic. ill make a sign on the trail welcoming any SOBOs?

Bearpaw88
08-29-2008, 17:34
I had to make it a point to tell people not to post my whereabouts online.

The majority of people think it is no big deal to post what hikers you saw and where and the majority of hikers don't care if there name is posted onling.

As a woman hiker I do not want people putting my name online along with where I am and what I am doing. People should keep this in mind when posting names without permission.

Jeff
08-29-2008, 19:33
I understand the point being made about safety in identifying everyones exact location. But, look on Trailjournals.com and hikers are doing exactly that. Even hikers with multiple thrus are naming places and trail names.

With technology today you can update your journal almost daily so the information is fresh. Yet, I do not remember this safety issue being addressed over at TJ.com.

Are we to ask everyone we meet if it is OK to mention their name when journaling????

Marta
08-29-2008, 20:10
I understand the point being made about safety in identifying everyones exact location. But, look on Trailjournals.com and hikers are doing exactly that. Even hikers with multiple thrus are naming places and trail names.

With technology today you can update your journal almost daily so the information is fresh. Yet, I do not remember this safety issue being addressed over at TJ.com.

Are we to ask everyone we meet if it is OK to mention their name when journaling????

My thoughts exactly. 90% of TJs consist of a list of people met that day. Often with pictures.

trailangelmary
08-31-2008, 02:02
In reference to where the SOBOs are. There are 5 in Duncannon tonight.

Pickleodeon
08-31-2008, 07:26
I met three sobo's in PA near Port Clinton on the 21st, about a week and a half ago.

modiyooch
08-31-2008, 08:41
I had to make it a point to tell people not to post my whereabouts online.

The majority of people think it is no big deal to post what hikers you saw and where and the majority of hikers don't care if there name is posted onling.

As a woman hiker I do not want people putting my name online along with where I am and what I am doing. People should keep this in mind when posting names without permission.
I don't even bother sharing that information on the trail. I'm friendly, but I leave the details out.

modiyooch
08-31-2008, 08:44
Don't know Half Gallon, but One Gallon was through Manchester,VT August 22nd.

Here is his pic:

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=378619 That's him. Thanks. I wonder if I botched his name or if he changed it.

Jeff
08-31-2008, 10:55
One gallon got his name years ago. He ate 2 of the half gallon boxes of ice cream at the store next to Ironmasters.

Hoop Time
09-02-2008, 18:19
Yo-yoer Brian (no trail name I am told) was at 501 this afternoon after having hiked with Karl Meltzer part of the morning. He was actually moving faster than Karl today.

Jeff
09-03-2008, 06:14
The Vermont Mafia was in Manchester a few days ago. Default was not feeling well, so they zeroed awhile.

Red Hat
09-04-2008, 21:52
The Vermont Mafia was in Manchester a few days ago. Default was not feeling well, so they zeroed awhile.

I've been checking their web site and they hadn't updated last time I checked. They amazed me early on!

rambunny
09-15-2008, 10:44
We've heard of 3 already passed thru here.We've had 8 section hikers so far.

sasquatch2014
09-15-2008, 11:18
Yo-yoer Brian (no trail name I am told) was at 501 this afternoon after having hiked with Karl Meltzer part of the morning. He was actually moving faster than Karl today.

Is he on the second leg of the Yo Yo or just completing the thru?

trailangelmary
09-15-2008, 12:25
Is he on the second leg of the Yo Yo or just completing the thru?

He's on the second leg of the YoYo. I would guess he is around the area of Glasgow, VA about now. That is if his leg is doing alright. It was starting to bother him when he came through Duncannon.

trailangelmary
09-15-2008, 12:26
About 6 southbounders in Duncannon, PA this weekend.

DAKS
09-15-2008, 20:45
He's on the second leg of the YoYo. I would guess he is around the area of Glasgow, VA about now. That is if his leg is doing alright. It was starting to bother him when he came through Duncannon.

i saw this guy near the james river today.

Sweet Tea
10-03-2008, 16:12
I'm in Pearisburg. Last night there were 9 SoBo's intown last night, staying another night, 5 more have come into the hostel...We got a hiker gang going on

trailangelmary
10-09-2008, 02:46
I'm in Pearisburg. Last night there were 9 SoBo's intown last night, staying another night, 5 more have come into the hostel...We got a hiker gang going on

AWESOME!!!!
My apologizes to the southbounders whom I couldn't follow through on shuttles because of illness and car problems. My thoughts and prayers are with you on completing of your journey.
LOL

trailangelmary
10-09-2008, 02:48
i saw this guy near the james river today.

Go, Brain GO!

sasquatch2014
10-09-2008, 09:00
Gave a lift to Beast a few days back in Pawling NY. He had a buddy come join him on the trail for a bit. Seemed to be in really good spirits and looking forward to getting down south and into some real terrain again.

twisted
10-09-2008, 09:18
there are plenty of sobos out there i'm one of them a few of them have already finished like alpine strider solo rocklayer flashdance

trailangelmary
10-13-2008, 15:29
There were several currently hiking SOBOs at the ALDHA Gathering.