PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof Pants/Shorts

Wake
08-28-2008, 10:02
What waterproof pants out there provide the best airflow? I get hot very easily so I've always just hiked in lightweight shorts/a bathing suit but I'm rescheduling my upcoming thru to be during the winter months so I feel like I should be on the safe side and have some waterproof pants in my pack just in case. Help! Having waterproof gear is pointless if you're just going to sweat all over the inside of it anyway. :p

While we're on the subject: what's a great pair of extremely lightweight shorts, preferably waterproof? Mine are close to extinction, especially since it has starting raining in Charlottesville again (meaning I've been out on the trail 50x as much).

canoehead
08-28-2008, 10:39
Quality gear and experience is the answear.
Yes you can sweat under your rain gear and in the warm months thats not much of an issue but in the colder months, it could mean illness or death on the trail with nowhere to get warm and or dry.
On my mountaineering trips I find that layering and good gear is key, then it's how much physical excertion is needed to summit or reach your goal.
On the trail if your pounding out miles your gonna sweat any way.
But if you conserve energy, walk with a slower pace then you will reduce sweating. It may not be the answear you want to hear but thats how it works.

I use TNF Summit Series Expedition Pants in winter.
EMS goretex Packlite for warm weather.

bkrownd
08-29-2008, 03:50
What waterproof pants out there provide the best airflow?

Rubber kilt :banana

Alligator
08-29-2008, 08:11
My winter shell pants are old, so I don't have a specific product in mind. I do find however that having full leg zips in the winter is very helpful for temperature regulation, especially if you hike warm. I hike a good portion of the time in shorts as well, and appreciate having the leg zips to dump heat as needed.

Homer&Marje
08-29-2008, 08:27
My Frogg Togg Bib pants are wonderful in their own little way. For cold weather I find that a thermal shirt, thermal undies, and wool socks with my bibs over that is great. The legs zip up to about the knee for ventilation and you can zip down the front of the bib. They are spacious, waterproof, ultralight, ventilated and comfortable. No pockets though so I suggest sewing one on.

highway
08-29-2008, 08:55
What waterproof pants out there provide the best airflow? I get hot very easily so I've always just hiked in lightweight shorts/a bathing suit but I'm rescheduling my upcoming thru to be during the winter months so I feel like I should be on the safe side and have some waterproof pants in my pack just in case. Help! Having waterproof gear is pointless if you're just going to sweat all over the inside of it anyway. :p

While we're on the subject: what's a great pair of extremely lightweight shorts, preferably waterproof? Mine are close to extinction, especially since it has starting raining in Charlottesville again (meaning I've been out on the trail 50x as much).

Shorts-Best of the Best-that you will never wear out:

http://www.railriders.com/men-sawtooth-mountain-shorts-p-904.html?cPath=104_112

Billed as toughest on the planet. I have been wearing one pair since 2002 or 2003 and they are barely faded but still look good enough to wear on a plane and walk through an airport.

bkrownd
08-29-2008, 14:01
thx for the link

hopefulhiker
08-29-2008, 14:03
I used Marmot full zip long rain pants in 05..

take-a-knee
08-29-2008, 14:30
None of them, use a poncho when it is warm enough. If it is warm enough for a poncho, you don't need the pants. Having said that, my Marmot Precip pants both fit and breathe better than Goretex, IME.