PDA

View Full Version : Directions-Albany NY to Crawford Notch NH

Hikerhead
08-28-2008, 13:11
I think I know the route that I'll be using but I get a different route on MSN Maps and Dirctions.

What is the best way to go?

rafe
08-28-2008, 14:09
Take Rte. 4 east across VT. Go North on I-91. Find some place to cut east again to I-93. Then from there to Rte. 3 to Rte. 302. The trick seems to be the W-to-E path from I-91 to I-93. Rte. 112 might do. Or you could go further north to St. Johnsbury and take 302 from there (heading southeast.)

Peaks
08-28-2008, 16:37
Well, it's hard to get to Crawford Notch unless you are coming from Boston area.

Last time I went from Bennington to Crawford Notch, I recall it was Route 4 across Vermont, and then mostly secondary roads between small towns in New Hampshire. It was a poke.

Hikerhead
08-28-2008, 18:09
Take Rte. 4 east across VT. Go North on I-91. Find some place to cut east again to I-93. Then from there to Rte. 3 to Rte. 302. The trick seems to be the W-to-E path from I-91 to I-93. Rte. 112 might do. Or you could go further north to St. Johnsbury and take 302 from there (heading southeast.)

Did you mean to say Rt 9?

Well, it's hard to get to Crawford Notch unless you are coming from Boston area.

Last time I went from Bennington to Crawford Notch, I recall it was Route 4 across Vermont, and then mostly secondary roads between small towns in New Hampshire. It was a poke.

I agree about the Poke You mention Rt 4 too. I think it's Rt 7 which turns into Rt 9....I'm thinking of taking Rt 9 all the way to I-93. Anyone know how this road is between Brattleboro and I-93? Level or Mountains? My thought is the farther south you cross over to I-93 the fewer Mountains you would have to cross, or no mtns at all. Or is there a better way?

rafe
08-28-2008, 18:49
Rte 4 crosses VT around the "height" of Rutland and Killington, and dumps into I89/I91 near Lebanon and Hanover. Rte. 9 crosses VT more to the south, through Bennington, and dumps into I91 at Brattleboro. Both about the same, speed and traffic-wise.

You can take I91 straight up to St. Johnsbury and then get on 302 there (which is the road that goes by Crawford Notch.) Or you could take I89 down to Concord, and then I93 back up to Rte 3 and then 302 (up over the town of Twin Mtn.) There's no straight "diagonal" road from Hanover to Crawford Notch... on account of the Whites. :D

Hikerhead
08-28-2008, 19:27
ok...I see Rt 4 now. Thanks.

Blissful
08-28-2008, 19:43
I've done that route Terrapin talks of from my inlaws who live near Scotia NY. Great, scenic drive.

TheTank
08-28-2008, 19:44
I live in Troy, NY, and have gone both the route 9 and route 4 routes to get to the whites. I find that route 9 is a bit quicker, but it is not too much difference, but that is the way I will go this weekend when I head to the whites. As for finding the exact roads to take, I find Yahoo maps does a good job for this trip.

Hikerhead
08-28-2008, 19:51
I live in Troy, NY, and have gone both the route 9 and route 4 routes to get to the whites. I find that route 9 is a bit quicker, but it is not too much difference, but that is the way I will go this weekend when I head to the whites. As for finding the exact roads to take, I find Yahoo maps does a good job for this trip.

Thanks Tank. Thats the way were going, Rt 9 over to I-93. Cookerhiker made me promise that I would buy him a beer at the Microbrew in Bennington.

rlharris
08-28-2008, 23:00
From I-93, take exit 17 (US302) in Wells River, VT. Follow US302 through Wells River, Woodsville, Bath, and Lisbon into Littleton. In Littleton, get on I-89 south for two exits; then get off at Exit 20 onto US302 into Bethlehem. Stay on US302 through Bethlehem, Twin Mountain (aka Carroll) to Crawford Notch. Approximate driving time from Wells River to Crawford 1 hour 2 minutes. Fastest way from I-93 to Crawford Notch (take it from someone whose house you will be passing if you follow these directions).

Kerosene
08-29-2008, 11:42
From I-93, take exit 17 (US302) in Wells River, VT. Follow US302 through Wells River, Woodsville, Bath, and Lisbon into Littleton. In Littleton, get on I-89 south for two exits; then get off at Exit 20 onto US302 into Bethlehem. Stay on US302 through Bethlehem, Twin Mountain (aka Carroll) to Crawford Notch. Approximate driving time from Wells River to Crawford 1 hour 2 minutes. Fastest way from I-93 to Crawford Notch (take it from someone whose house you will be passing if you follow these directions).Hikerhead, I think that's the same way we returned from Pinkham/Crawford Notch at the end of our hike.

Hikerhead
08-29-2008, 11:59
Hikerhead, I think that's the same way we returned from Pinkham/Crawford Notch at the end of our hike.

Yeah. Checking the Yahoo maps it looks like that way would keep me off the backroads the most. I was trying for max interstate time.

Rt 9 to Brattleboro, I-91 to 302 and to Twin Mtn where we're spend the night and hitting MT Washington first thing Sunday Morning after spotting a car at Crawford Notch.

Thanks for all the help.