PDA

View Full Version : traptents

gonewalkabout
08-28-2008, 15:50
planning on 09 and would apreciate any infomation and feedbacl on solo traptents.

Thanks,

Gonewalkabout

Freeleo
08-28-2008, 15:51
i would not want to get caught in one;)

Footslogger
08-28-2008, 16:07
planning on 09 and would apreciate any infomation and feedbacl on solo traptents.

Thanks,

Gonewalkabout
========================

You mean "Tarptents" ?

'Slogger

Blissful
08-28-2008, 16:08
I used the double squall for the first part of my hike. Performed well, some condensation issues, esp with two people inside in rain, but it is a single wall tent.

Freeleo
08-28-2008, 16:25

Thanks,

Gonewalkabout

i really like the tarptent rainbow...it is a great shelter...and wouldnt mind the double rainbow for a little more weight and a tad more room with two doors

taildragger
08-28-2008, 16:26
I use a cloudburst. Love this tent. A little short for two people if you're going to spend a lot of nights in it (a plus if its your SO though)

Ender
08-28-2008, 17:04

Thanks,

Gonewalkabout

You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave. :p

Check out Gossamer Gear... if you can find one (limited availability right now) they are some of the lightest full shelters out there right now.

Footslogger
08-28-2008, 17:09
Six Moon Designs is what I carry nowadays ...

Check em out

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/

I own the Lunar Solo-e and the Wild Oasis and really like them both.

'Slogger

jesse
08-28-2008, 17:12
I like my homemade ray-way tarp and net tent. Plenty of room, inexpensive, Tarp, net tent and stakes 31oz.

BookBurner
08-28-2008, 22:33
Henry Shires' tarptents rock. I think they are a great solo shelter for a thru. 1200+ miles on mine and still going strong.

Lyle
08-28-2008, 22:59
Six Moon Wild Oasis or Gossamer Gear The One. Own them both. Really like them both. Nothing lighter than these two for full or nearly full protection. At least not that I know of.

Had some serious condensation problems in The One during the summer on one very stormy night, poured rain non-stop, absolutely no breeze of any kind, and kinda cool at night. Otherwise, it has performed very well every other night. Some rainy, some VERY windy, some with snow and winter temperatures.

That one night this past summer seemed like all the conditions came together to show a single wall tent's biggest one weakness. I still would not hesitate to carry it again.

aaronthebugbuffet
08-28-2008, 23:39
Six Moon Designs is what I carry nowadays ...

Check em out

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/

I own the Lunar Solo-e and the Wild Oasis and really like them both.

'Slogger
That Wild Oasis looks like a sweet tarp.

Ender
08-28-2008, 23:43
Also, if you haven't already, take a look at hammocks. They aren't for everyone, but if they work for you they are the most comfortable night's sleep you'll get in the woods. I use a Hennessy, and there are a number of other great manufacturers out there, as well as a number of do-it-yourself instructions online.

Just a thought.

Toolshed
08-29-2008, 08:05
Traptents......Giggity Giggity..... Come check out my tent you little hottie.... <SNAP> Giggity. Giggity. Giggity...... hairy hippy chicks or those that wear granny panties not welcomed. Giggity. Giggity. Goo!!!!!!

Footslogger
08-29-2008, 10:39
That Wild Oasis looks like a sweet tarp.
===================================

It's an off-shoot of the Gateway Cape. The area that was formerly the hood on the Gateway Cape is now an apex vent.

If you don't plan on using your shelter as your raingear it's the next best thing for the weight. Simple to pitch and plenty roomy for a solo hiker and their gear.

'Slogger

Appalachian Tater
08-29-2008, 10:52
Henry Shires Tarptent Rainbow. The new Sublite he has looks interesting but it doesn't sound appropriate for the A.T. where you have a lot of rain sometimes.

LIhikers
08-29-2008, 11:43
My wife and I have 2 models of Tarptents.
Rainbow for when either of us goes out solo or with our dog, a large shepherd and the Rainshadow for when we go together, with or without the dog. We've had good experiences with them both. They keep out the weather as well as the bugs, are light weight, and easy to set up.

Quoddy
08-29-2008, 12:17
After trying most of the TarpTent models I still like the Contrail best, by far.

Dogwood
08-29-2008, 16:31
DEFINITELY check out Henry Shires tarp tents. He has a prototype model that he calls the Sublime that I viewed at the PCT Lake Morena kickoff that is the lightest well built solo tent that I've ever seen. It utilizes trekking poles, which I don't normally use, or I would have ordered one. Gossamer Gear also makes a model called 'The One' that is made from spinnaker clothe that is well designed and constucted. I am not sure of the current availability of either tent but they are both cutting edge in their field.

Think Spring
08-29-2008, 16:56
Here's another kudo for Henry Shires tarp tents. After ordering mine, he got it to me very quickly, and I've used it LOTS without any difficulties and lots of satisfaction. Also use a piece of Tivec under it to reduce the chance of floor punctures from rocks, sticks, etc. Check the out online.:-?

Hana_Hanger
08-29-2008, 17:10
I know Henry makes great tents and I use to own a Squall but if you like plenty of space and not having to hit the sides of your tent, or being squished...go with the Six Moon Designs by Ron. Especially the Luna Duo or the Luna Solo you will be very happy you did.
I hate crawling into a tent and hitting the top, especially in the rain!

Bare Bear
08-29-2008, 23:02
Tents versus tarps versus hammocks.............pick what works for you but be sure to test it throughly BEFORE hitting the trail. I like a solo tent with a real floor, no bugs, cleaner, NO MICE.

Montana AT05
10-08-2008, 06:22
I tried a tarptent (Henry Shires, solo version, Contrail I think, can't recall).

I didn't like it. Why?

1. Not freestanding. Makes setting up a pain--and keeping it up as well (I was in sandy terrain).

2. Condensation and sag. Tarptents are single wall, so ya, condensation is a major problem. They tend to sag over the course of the night as well, unless set up juuust right. So in the morning, you have to inch your way out or get soaked.

3. Tight. Not much room to move. See above.

The Henry Shires Rainbow Tarptent is the best of the bunch (in my opinion). It's free standing.

The good aspect of tarp tents are: They are light, packable, and keep the creepy-crawlies out.

If I was to re-hike the AT, I would go with a Hammock (Hennessy is the brand I've used). On cold nights I would just stay in shelters or lay on the ground with my hammock as a ground sheet.

Or I'd use my tarp/bivy set-up I use out West.

If I wasn't a lightweight hiker, I would use a MSR Hubba style tent. Three or so pounds (so heavy) but hey are very reliable, fairly roomy, and most importantly--freestanding.

Overall I am a Hammock guy. Just not in weather below 50 degrees at night, cause dang they are cold on your back. You'll be awake from 3-6 AM in those puppies on a chilly night...

Gaza
10-23-2008, 22:02
i would not want to get caught in one;)

Why did you say this Freeleo? Was it a joke? Just curious. I mean when you guys use these and it rains all night and/or snows all night. Pretty much am I going to have to get used to sleeping in a sopping wet sleeping bag and/or tent?

Having looked at them all I really do like them. I just wonder if there is a better option or is it just because they are light weight that people use them?

Tagless
10-24-2008, 08:14
Originally Posted by Freeleo
i would not want to get caught in one

Posted by Gaza
Why did you say this Freeleo? Was it a joke? Just curious. I mean when you guys use these and it rains all night and/or snows all night. Pretty much am I going to have to get used to sleeping in a sopping wet sleeping bag and/or tent?

I believe Freeleo was referring to the typo "traptent" in the original post. Good one Freeleo, I enjoyed a chuckle from your post.

On a serious note, my wife and I really like our Rainshadow 2 and will use it on our 09 thru. We hiked for seven days in Virginia last week. The Rainshadow kept us very dry on a first night of hard continuous rain.

When first moving into tarptents we started with a Double Rainbow. That is a great shelter as well, but we really enjoy the added space that the Rainshadow provides - plenty of room for two people and gear. At a little over 2.5 pounds, the Rainshadow is a great option for two people.

I haven't done so yet, but I believe we could pitch the Rainshadow using rocks in place of stakes if needed.

I noticed online that Henry Shires has a 20% Fall sale going on. That's a great deal on an excellent line of shelters.

catfishrivers
10-31-2008, 13:49

Thanks,

Gonewalkabout

http://elitemrp.net/iat/examples/tarp.jpg

I plan on getting a tarp tent myself for my thru hike this spring. Going with the Rainbow.

Grampsb
01-06-2009, 10:42
Anyone ussing the Tarptent Scrap 1?

Lilred
01-06-2009, 19:00
I have an '03 Squall I use and love, love, love it. I can sit up, get dressed, dig through my pack in it and never touch the sides. It's the Taj Mahal for right around two pounds.

Wise Old Owl
01-06-2009, 20:04
I tried a tarptent (Henry Shires, solo version, Contrail I think, can't recall).

I didn't like it. Why?

1. Not freestanding. Makes setting up a pain--and keeping it up as well (I was in sandy terrain).

2. Condensation and sag. Tarptents are single wall, so ya, condensation is a major problem. They tend to sag over the course of the night as well, unless set up juuust right. So in the morning, you have to inch your way out or get soaked.

3. Tight. Not much room to move. See above.

The Henry Shires Rainbow Tarptent is the best of the bunch (in my opinion). It's free standing.

The good aspect of tarp tents are: They are light, packable, and keep the creepy-crawlies out.

If I was to re-hike the AT, I would go with a Hammock (Hennessy is the brand I've used). On cold nights I would just stay in shelters or lay on the ground with my hammock as a ground sheet.

Or I'd use my tarp/bivy set-up I use out West.

If I wasn't a lightweight hiker, I would use a MSR Hubba style tent. Three or so pounds (so heavy) but hey are very reliable, fairly roomy, and most importantly--freestanding.

Overall I am a Hammock guy. Just not in weather below 50 degrees at night, cause dang they are cold on your back. You'll be awake from 3-6 AM in those puppies on a chilly night...

Ok so you had the tent without your hiking sticks?:eek:

http://homepage.mac.com/hshires/pcthike/tarptent/tarpdesign29.JPEG

good write up really, I joined the hammock group too.:rolleyes:

Hey Montana, I havent purchased a quilt yet, but in cold weather for now I am using a cheap down LLbean Jacket $70 15 oz and it compresses to a grapefruit. Seriously no cold sholders!

garlic08
01-06-2009, 20:51
Henry Shires' Tarptents keep getting better, in my experience. The Contrail is a great shelter for a three-season hike.

mindi
01-06-2009, 21:42
I cannot brag enough about my Shires tarptent. Highly recommended!

Crawl
01-06-2009, 21:57
I've got the Cloudburst II, the thing I like best is it's up in less than two minutes, 3 stakes and two internal poles, no hiking poles needed, quick storm comes and you can be in it in no time and wait it out!....Crawl

Ramble~On
01-07-2009, 04:18
I'm really, really happy with my Rainbow.
Though I don't think you'd go wrong with any HS Tarptent.