PDA

View Full Version : Calling all tent guru's.......

88BlueGT
08-29-2008, 01:28
When ever I get enough money I am looking to purchase a tent. I was doing some research and came upon the gossamer gear Squall classic. Originally, I was looking to buy the squall but now I'm reconsidering. Just looking for a list of pro's and cons between the two. Any help? Thanks.

Egads
08-29-2008, 06:43
When ever I get enough money I am looking to purchase a tent. I was doing some research and came upon the gossamer gear Squall classic. Originally, I was looking to buy the squall but now I'm reconsidering. Just looking for a list of pro's and cons between the two. Any help? Thanks.

What two?

bigcranky
08-29-2008, 07:32
What two?

The Henry Shires Tarptent Squall II and the GG Squall Classic. Pay attention. There will be a short quiz at the end of class. :-?

TT Squall II -- more head room, cheaper.

GG Squall Classic -- lighter, doesn't sag when wet.

Both are large enough for two hikers, and huge for a solo hiker. Both are well-made. In my mind, the only reason to buy the GG tent is if you want to save the extra half pound on shelter weight.

(Does GG list their squall as being in stock? I recall they were having issues getting the fabric.)

Jim Adams
08-29-2008, 09:55
buy a real tent and be done with it. why put up with non-free standing, constant adjustment and severe condensation?

geek

88BlueGT
09-02-2008, 09:38
As far as I know they are still having some troubles getting their hands on the spinnaker fabric accoring to their website... I'll call them and see what the wait is going to be like.

Jim Adams, for one, what makes you think that a TT Squall or a GG Squall isnt a "REAL" tent? There are TONS of people on this site alone that will argue that. Second, not all tents that arent freestanding have to be adjusted constantly and deal w severe condensation.

88BlueGT
09-02-2008, 09:40
any other comments on differences? pros? cons?

Jason of the Woods
09-02-2008, 10:02
It's a little more but I have used REI's quarter dome and the 1 person Hubba. Both have been awesome.

Blissful
09-02-2008, 11:05
I've only used the Tarptent Squall 2, and it performed fine for me.

88BlueGT
09-03-2008, 17:09
any other comments on differences between the two Squalls?

stranger
09-08-2008, 21:27
I believe the Spinnaker fabric is more prone to abrasion, and I think the GG Squall uses Spinnaker on the floor - something to consider perhaps.

I had the original Squall by HS, and the newer model has much more headroom which I would have appreciated.

Spinnaker is good stuff, I have a tarp using it by MLD, but all tents sag when wet - even if the material doesn't, the guy ropes usually stretch when wet and this impacts the taughtness of the tent in my experience.

Summit
09-09-2008, 09:28
Taking my queue from the title, I'm no guru, but a part-time tent dweller! :) The problem you run into when you start to ask 'tent opinions' is that no one can have tried more than a very few current tents, and one cannot adequately advise on a tent unless they've spent considerable time in it under the complete gamut of weather conditions. So any advise or opinions you get here, including mine, are extremely limited and biased.

So what do you do to make a wise major purchase decision? I think you research on the web looking for reviews (any one of which is going to also be biased) and after many reviews you will start to get a feel for whether the tent under scrutiny is a winner or a loser. For sites like REI that post customer reviews, I look for the number of reviews as well as the rating and comments. A tent may have 5 stars and only two reviews. A tent that has 36 reviews and 4 1/2 stars is more trustworthy IMHO. It tells me that tent is more popular and meeting the expectations of the owners.

So much to consider: weight, cost, design, size (space), functionality, etc. The tent you end up going with will likely fit your personality after doing all the homework. Don't get hung up - locked into a name brand. Lots of good ones to choose from.

When I made my last purchase, I was in the process of narrowing down my 'short list' and then one that was on the list went on sale for such a ridiculously good price I instantly went for it, knowing that it had already passed all the scrutiny tests. My choice? The Sierra Designs Lightning @ $132 (retail is $270 I believe).