PDA

View Full Version : REI guarantee experience

mister krabs
08-29-2008, 11:13
What has been your experience with the REI 100% satisfaction guarantee?

"Every item you purchase at REI is 100% satisfaction guaranteed. "

Did they swap out your blown out 800mile trailrunners with no questions asked? Did they repair your Leki's for free at the end of your through hike?
Here is an opportunity to sing their praises. If your experience has been different, here is the place to damn them.

I went over there yesterday to talk to them about a piece of gear and wanted to see if my experience was similar to others. I'll share the story in a bit so as not to affect the result too much.

SteveJ
08-29-2008, 11:20
I have a Gregory Whitney pack that I bought in a moment of insanity...$350 at the time. This was about 2 months before deciding to go lightweight. It has hung in my closet for 6 years, I believe used once (my Marine Corp brother carried it one weekend).

I was in REI a few months ago, chatting with the manager. I mentioned the pack, and that it had been a big mistake purchase. He encouraged me to bring it back in for a refund / store credit.....

Rain Man
08-29-2008, 12:42
I've never once had REI give me grief about a return.

Rain:sunMan

Marta
08-29-2008, 12:55
Nope, no grief when I've returned things.

I would NOT return shoes that had blown out after 800 miles. Shoes wear out--they don't come with a lifetime guarantee.

However, when I ordered a Bear Vault that broke, they took it back without question. I changed my mind about an ice axe I ordered. They took it back.

partinj
08-29-2008, 13:01
I had a Snow Peak stove in my closed for about a year work ok when i put it away would not work when i took it back down would not light could not hear or swell any gas getint to the burner. Call REI they send me a new one befor i even send the old back. One the few great company left around will alway buy stuff from them

the goat
08-29-2008, 13:10
they really did replace my trail runners after 700 miles.

sherrill
08-29-2008, 13:15
Our guides in Alaska told me about a guy returning a pair of 8 year old worn out boots to the store in Anchorage. They took them, no questions.

Our conversation turned to the ethics of the situation. We all agreed that REI stood by their commitment but we thought the dude was an ass.

mister krabs
08-29-2008, 14:55
Ethically, I think my situation is a little more grey. I have a 10 year old, but not worn or abused thermarest lounge chair. It's a bit heavy so hasn't gotten much use over the years, it's in very good condition otherwise with no tears or abrasions, burn holes or cracked stays. If it were a car, it would be a clean 98 with 30,000 miles on it. Kept clean on blocks with the oil drained.

I got it out of the closet last weekend for car camping and about thirty minutes into sitting, it started giving way. Where the strap meets the side, the reinforced triangle of nylon started to pull apart, in the way that nylon can do, where it comes unwoven and loses it's structural integrity. Like it's unravelled, but not frayed~it's hard to describe. The chair is covered by both the Thermarest "lifetime" and REI "satisfaction" guarantee. Thermarest even makes a big deal about how most things can be fixed, and please don't throw them away.

Let me preface this with my attitude at the service desk: I did not have a "you should make it right cause I'm a member" attitude, it was very much, "can you help me out with this?" I've worked in service positions, I understand the right way to ask for help. I'm a 15 year member, have bought thousands of dollars worth of gear over the years, and this is the first time I've taken anything to them with a problem.

The dude at the counter was not especially enthusiastic about keeping the chair out of the landfill. He was not interested in helping me out. I said I'd like to get it repaired or replaced, he started talking about "useful lifetime" and nothing really he can do, and it not being worth repair. That's reasonable enough I suppose, but it was not what I expected after hearing such great things about the guarantee, and it put me in deer in headlights mode. So I asked him if he would be willing to send it back to Cascade Designs to see if it qualified for their warranty. His response was, "Why not, worth a shot I guess" Good enough I guess, saves me the cost of shipping and we'll see what they say about it, if it doesn't get lost. It's just not what I was expecting. Perhaps my expectations were unreasonable, perhaps not. If they were, then weren't they set by REI themselves with their 100%?

I'm not arguing about what the guy said, it was all reasonable enough. It would have been nice if he were nicer about it, or offered to help in any way, or if I got the feeling that he was "going to see what he can do." It just sounded like he was reading from some corporate playbook telling you how to dissuade customers from pursuing the satisfaction guarantee. I don't know whether that's attributable to the guy, the store or the company. I do know that the comfort of their satisfaction guarantee was one of the reasons I often chose to buy there, now I'm not so sure. I guess I could buy into that useful lifetime stuff and get on with my life, but then I would have to ditch my very functional 14 year old car and 60 year old house, maybe even trade the wife in on a newer model! Talk about expensive! ;)

Then again, maybe I should chalk it up to some dude who was just phoning it in that day.
~vent over

Hoop
08-29-2008, 15:06
Only ten years old, you say?

MOWGLI
08-29-2008, 15:06
Ethically, I think my situation is a little more grey. I have a 10 year old, but not worn or abused thermarest lounge chair....

Trying to return a 10 year old piece of gear is simply wrong. Nothing grey about that at all. There is wrong, and there is right. And how much you've spent over the years has nothing to do with anything. I say that as a fellow member of the same co-op.

Thermarest has a lifetime guaranty. Take it up with them.

workboot
08-29-2008, 15:13
Returning a pair of worn out shoes for replacement is wrong....

max patch
08-29-2008, 15:13
Trying to return a 10 year old piece of gear is simply wrong. Nothing grey about that at all. There is wrong, and there is right. And how much you've spent over the years has nothing to do with anything. I say that as a fellow member of the same co-op.

Can't say it any better than that.

mister krabs
08-29-2008, 15:14
Dang, ya'll are harsh. It sat in a closet, like I said.

mister krabs
08-29-2008, 15:15
I wonder why I should take it up with thermarest, but not REI?

NICKTHEGREEK
08-29-2008, 15:15
Poor choices, no vote

What they did when I returned a Sierra Designs Wild Bill sleeping bag that had a horrible zipper issue was apologize, asked which option would make me happiest (refund/exchange/store credit) then refunded my money immediately and had a floor manager personally show me every bag in stock.

NICKTHEGREEK
08-29-2008, 15:17
Shame on you

MOWGLI
08-29-2008, 15:18
Dang, ya'll are harsh. It sat in a closet, like I said.

Harsh? Maybe. Truthful? Yes.

I also offered you some good advice along with the criticism.

Why should you take it up with Thermarest?

http://www.thermarest.com/support_warranty.aspx

the goat
08-29-2008, 15:23
Shame on you

i wore 'em to the store to get new ones after my '03 hike & the manager offered to exchange them for me.

shame on me for taking him up on it?

ok, if you see it that way.

mister krabs
08-29-2008, 15:42
Harsh? Maybe. Truthful? Yes.

I also offered you some good advice along with the criticism.

Why should you take it up with Thermarest?

http://www.thermarest.com/support_warranty.aspx

Ya, I knew about that when I went there, what I asked was why thermarest and not REI? They've both set some pretty hefty expectations and both use their guarantee in their marketing. I'll admit that I was hoping to get something out of them, ( and I did, shipping to thermarest is nothing to sneeze at) but it was just as much to see if the stories about the magical 100% were true. Stories about the 700 mile boots are priceless to companies like REI and LLbean, much better than mice typed limited liability warranties.

besides, REI is closer ;)

I'll not lose sleep tonight over it either way. Stealing is wrong, asking is right. Like the guy said, it's worth a shot.

And no, I didn't say *only*

And no, I didn't say *only*

Just Plain Jim
08-29-2008, 15:54
I knew Rainman would think highly of REI as he [and I quote] "practicaly lives at the one in Brentwood, Tn.":banana

MOWGLI
08-29-2008, 15:54
Ya, I knew about that when I went there, what I asked was why thermarest and not REI?

In this case, REI has more to lose than Thermarest. The defect, if there is one, is the fault of Thermarest, so let them make good on it. Good luck.

PS: I did return a jungle hammock to LL Bean after 3 years, but only after a manufacturing defect was pointed out by an engineer friend of mine. They gave me a refund.

max patch
08-29-2008, 16:05
Most "lifetime" guarantees exclude normal wear and tear which is something people overlook when, for example, they want to return an item after a thru hike.

chriscook02
08-29-2008, 17:12
my guess is abuse of their policy will cause them to change it, just like costco did with electronics.
used to be lifetime, very few if any questions asked.
now 90 days return/credit , with a normal 2 year warranty after that.

on a side note...
do rei outlet /online purchases get the same treatment?

the goat
08-29-2008, 17:24

Shame on you

i wore 'em to the store to get new ones after my '03 hike & the manager offered to exchange them for me.

additionally:
unlike those that buy new trailrunners to wear to the company picnic, i wear through several pairs each year running. i use rei each time, so it turned out to be a wise investment for them.:)

Bearpaw
08-29-2008, 19:47
my guess is abuse of their policy will cause them to change it, just like costco did with electronics.
used to be lifetime, very few if any questions asked.
now 90 days return/credit , with a normal 2 year warranty after that.

on a side note...
do rei outlet /online purchases get the same treatment?

Yes and yes.

The only items which are not returnable are "scratch and dents", items which were returned used or damaged. Since they were already used or damaged, REI won't take them back again. ;)

Blissful
08-29-2008, 19:49
We exchanged a leaky BA pad we bought from them, no problem.

MOWGLI
08-29-2008, 20:10
Yes and yes.

The only items which are not returnable are "scratch and dents", items which were returned used or damaged. Since they were already used or damaged, REI won't take them back again. ;)

They put an X on the scratch and dent items so they are clearly identifiable as non-returnable.

RichardD
08-29-2008, 20:45
Advice request.
I purchased Leki poles about three or four years ago from REI and I recollect that the poles were guaranteed for life. I am not certain on this but I think that was the guarantee.
The poles have given good service until this Summer. Part way through my JMT hike the tips fell out and the poles wore down almost to the rubber basket.
I have about 1400 to 1500 miles on them.
The locking mechanism has also been problematic this Summer.
I don't want to take unfair advantage of anyone but if the lifetime guarantee means that the poles will be guaranteed for as long as I own them, which is how I understood the guarantee, then I would like the poles repaired.
Has anyone used the LEKI guarantee, should the poles go to LEKI or REI.?
Neither is close to me, the nearest REI is 350 miles away so I only get there once or twice per year.
I notice that there are many hikers with LEKI Malaku Super Poles out there so perhaps someone on this forum has experience of how to get them repaired.

Cabin Fever
08-29-2008, 20:47
I have broken my "REI" (made by Komperdell) trekking poles twice. Both times, I took them to the REI in Brentwood and go satisfactory results. The first time, they gave me a new pair. The second time, the poles had been discontinued, but they fixed them with parts from other poles they had in the back. Great service both times. I have practically had 3 sets of trekking poles for $100.

Scrapes
08-29-2008, 21:52
I had a pair of leaky Targhee boots purchased at REI. It never occured to me to contact REI. I contacted Keen, just asking how I should treat them, their reply was send us a picture of them and perhaps they'll replace them. I sent the pics and they sent me a new pair of boots. They were under a year old and well cared for.

It's the power/convenience of the internet, without it I would never have reached out to Keen. They have great customer service!

Flush2wice
08-29-2008, 22:07
Our guides in Alaska told me about a guy returning a pair of 8 year old worn out boots to the store in Anchorage. They took them, no questions.

Our conversation turned to the ethics of the situation. We all agreed that REI stood by their commitment but we thought the dude was an ass.
bogus

correct

Returning a pair of worn out shoes for replacement is wrong....
correct

Can't say it any better than that.
me either

I wonder why I should take it up with thermarest, but not REI?
because they made the thing

Advice request.
I purchased Leki poles about three or four years ago from REI and I recollect that the poles were guaranteed for life. I am not certain on this but I think that was the guarantee.
The poles have given good service until this Summer. Part way through my JMT hike the tips fell out and the poles wore down almost to the rubber basket.
I have about 1400 to 1500 miles on them.
The locking mechanism has also been problematic this Summer.
I don't want to take unfair advantage of anyone but if the lifetime guarantee means that the poles will be guaranteed for as long as I own them, which is how I understood the guarantee, then I would like the poles repaired.
Neither is close to me, the nearest REI is 350 miles away so I only get there once or twice per year.
I notice that there are many hikers with LEKI Malaku Super Poles out there so perhaps someone on this forum has experience of how to get them repaired.
Make LEKI replace them. The poles cost $3 apeice to manufacture and they charge $100 for them. It's in their business model to repair,replace everytime they break. Which is often. Their business model is to sell a hundred poles and only 2 of them will ever travel over a hundred miles. So make 'em cheap, charge a ton, and replace the broken ones with a smile. All the way to the bank. Then you get a bunch of "experienced" hikers who have all these great things to say about LEKI because they fixed or replaced their broken poles for free.

I have broken my "REI" (made by Komperdell) trekking poles twice. Both times, I took them to the REI in Brentwood and go satisfactory results. The first time, they gave me a new pair. The second time, the poles had been discontinued, but they fixed them with parts from other poles they had in the back. Great service both times. I have practically had 3 sets of trekking poles for $100.
See what I mean?

BR360
08-29-2008, 22:33
I have 100% satisfaction...I am a co-op member...

REI store took back an REI-outlet purchase that didn't fit.

Also, they readily replaced a pair of 2-yr old hiking poles after one broke at the lock.

I used to run a local outfitter 25 years ago, and there were a few critters who tried to exploit the "lifetime warranty" (but not normal wear and tear) that was the rage from North Face, Kelty, Patagonia, etc. back then. We would gladly help out those who had real problems, but we naturally dragged our feet when we suspected someone was trying to take advantage of us...after all, we had to take a new item out of our inventory, and spend money shipping the defect back to the manufacturer.

Sly
08-29-2008, 22:54
REI has a return policy...

The REI Guarantee

Our 100% satisfaction guarantee ensures that every item you purchase at REI meets your high standards—or you can return it for a replacement or refund.
We have been outfitting outdoor adventurers since 1938. And in that time, we've learned a lot about what makes great gear. Our employees continually use all the gear we have to do the same activities that you do—from weekend day hikes to ascents in the Himalayas.
Plus, we listen to your feedback. All of it. Bottom line? You can count on everything we offer to be highly functional and 100% satisfaction guaranteed. Which means you can't go wrong with gear from REI.
If you're ever dissatisfied with an item, you may return or exchange (http://www.rei.com/help/returns.html) your REI.com purchases at any REI store (http://www.rei.com/stores/index.jsp) or through mail order.

...if they're getting beat by bogus returns it's up to them to change it.

Marta
08-30-2008, 06:25
I bought a pair of North Face shoes at REI this spring that I'm unhappy with. After less than 200 miles the fabric inside the heel has worn through on both shoes. Bits of foam are coming out. I've been on the fence as to whether to take them back to REI, or contact North Face directly. Sounds like the REI guarantee has it covered, even though it's really NF's problem.

NICKTHEGREEK
08-30-2008, 09:49

The thread has to do with guarantee experiences not freebies at REI.
So no shame under those circumstances, but had you tried to return them for a warranty issue it would have been less than honest or don't you see it that way?

Bearpaw
08-30-2008, 09:50
I bought a pair of North Face shoes at REI this spring that I'm unhappy with. After less than 200 miles the fabric inside the heel has worn through on both shoes. Bits of foam are coming out. I've been on the fence as to whether to take them back to REI, or contact North Face directly. Sounds like the REI guarantee has it covered, even though it's really NF's problem.

Definitely return them. This is part of why the return policy exists. North Face will likely tell you this is normal wear, but at less than 200 miles this is unsat.

hoyawolf
08-30-2008, 09:54
i took a set of cycling rain gear to them that had not been worn or used in two years, they gave me full instore credit.

Bearpaw
08-30-2008, 10:04

I have experience with both Leki AND REI in dealing with faulty Leki poles. On my '99 AT thru-hike, I don't know a single hiker who got satisfaction dealing directly with Leki.

I don't know if their U. S. office was incompetent or corrupt, but at least 8-10 hikers mentioned that pole sections broke or locks malfunctioned or what not and Leki promised to send a replacement section to such and such maildrop. NOT ONCE did the hiker ever get a secion in the mail that I heard of, and some hikers tried 2-3 times. The only folks who got repairs were those who did a one-for-one exchange off the floor through the goodwill of an outfitter.

So I suppose it was my own stupidity in supposing that if I actually SENT them a pole they could repair it. I made numerous calls, and the response was always "Sorry, we don't have it." I insured the pole but foolishly did not get delivery confirmation. I have no doubt Leki got that pole and threw it out.

When I had a later issue with the entire plastic interior lock-thread piece ripping out of a pole section, I knew I was not going to trust Leki by myself. I work for the local REI, so I didn't want to hit REI up for a whole new pole section. Instead I asked if REI would request the repair. They did with UPS confirmation and delivery and I got a replaced pole section in a couple of weeks. REI was only out on shipping and I had the company's clout backing the return.

In your case, you may want to return the pole directly to Leki, but be SURE to get delivery confirmation. I have heard of a number of successful returns in recent years, so I can only assume Leki has cleaned up their act in their service department. But I couldn't trust them.

My personal opinion is to replace your Lekis with a pair of Black Diamonds with flicklock pole sections. This system is so far superior to anything else on the market that I'm surprised other companies can still sell their twistlocks.

RichardD
08-30-2008, 10:41
Thanks Bearpaw, I will keep my poles unil I go to Dallas or some other city with REI and ask them to fix the poles as you did.
I agree with you about the Black Diamond poles, the locking mechanism seems a lot more positive on the BD poles, however after spending the money on the LEKI's I don't plan on purchasing another set.

Blissful
08-30-2008, 11:50
The locking mechanism on Leki poles stink. I'm having trouble with mine I purchased in Gorham last year for Maine. You have to do some kind of funky thing with it to make it work. Right now I keep them in the same position so I can avoid the issue (but I know that won't work forever).

Rain Man
08-30-2008, 12:03
So no shame under those circumstances, but had you tried to return them for a warranty issue it would have been less than honest or don't you see it that way?

What I see is that REI is a shining exception to the "gotcha capitalism" practiced by most large corporations.

If a customer pays for a piece of merchandise AND the services and contractual rights (warranties, promises, etc) that are part-and-parcel of the sale, then the corporation isn't giving away "freebies" at all. The customer paid for those so-called "freebies" when he bought a product sold with a bunch of promises attached.

It is the corporations that don't want to provide the services or warranties or promises that they sold, that get the freebies, when they charged money with no intention of honoring their promises.

REI happens to be a stellar seller that honors the promises it sells, and as such reaps the reward of greater customer loyalty, higher prices, and greater sales.

But shame on those corporations that sell "talk" and then don't "do." They get to choose what they promise, and if they promise lifetime unconditional no-questions-asked warranties, then they need to live up to them, no questions asked. Like REI. Otherwise, THEY are getting the freebies.

Rain:sunMan

Sly
08-30-2008, 13:33
I have experience with both Leki AND REI in dealing with faulty Leki poles. On my '99 AT thru-hike, I don't know a single hiker who got satisfaction dealing directly with Leki.

In 2000, I snapped a section of pole that got stuck in the mud as I slid forward. I called their 800 number from Fontana Village and the service rep told me to go to the local outfitter at FV and to have them call. I did but the Leki rep was at lunch by the time I got there, so I left my pole with the story and number and did my laundry. Once I got back my pole had been repaired. The following day, I saw the outfitter and he was astonished that he received the replacement section he took from a pole on the rack that morning.

I've had the same pair of Lekis since 1997 with over 10K miles on them. I've had grips replaced, and the two lower sections of poles replaced twice over along with countless tip and baskets at Trail Days and this year at the ADZPCTKO.

Shadowmoss
08-30-2008, 13:49
I ordered a pack from REI outlet on deep sale. A guy at REI (Patrick?) fitted it to me since I had it sent to the store in Brentwood to get the free shipping. I carried it once fully loaded on a very short hike (uphill from a campsite) just to see how it carried. I decided it didn't carry well loaded, so I took it back. The store refunded my money no questions asked. I have since bought two more packs from them (one for me, one for a friend).

I got the REI hiking poles a little over a year ago. From my lack of understanding of how the locking mechanism works, I messed it up to where one pole wouldn't lock reliably. When I took it in, someone took the time to show me what had happened, and when I expressed concern about the pole continuing to work anyway, they gave me a new set. Several months later a friend used my poles (she and I share gear a lot), and one came back locked so tight that I couldn't get it loose by hand, and when I did all the parts came loose. I took it back and the set was replaced again.

I have spent a couple of thousand dollars there on gear that I did not take back.

Summit
08-30-2008, 14:30
I chose the 'awesome' choice because REI has never hassled me about any reasonable return, and I've never attempted any 'unreasonable' ones. ;)

BitBucket
08-30-2008, 14:45
Here's a portion of The REI Guarantee...last line sums it up pretty well...if you are "ever dissatisfied with an item", return it or exchange it...their guarantee is why I don't hesitate to buy anything from REI...

"Our 100% satisfaction guarantee ensures that every item you purchase at REI meets your high standards—or you can return it for a replacement or refund.

Bottom line? You can count on everything we offer to be highly functional and 100% satisfaction guaranteed. Which means you can't go wrong with gear from REI.

If you're ever dissatisfied with an item, you may return or exchange your REI.com purchases at any REI store or through mail order."

Summit
08-30-2008, 21:59
My personal opinion is to replace your Lekis with a pair of Black Diamonds with flicklock pole sections. This system is so far superior to anything else on the market that I'm surprised other companies can still sell their twistlocks.Last time I was in my local REI I looked at the BD poles pretty closely and would agree. When/if my REI (Komperdell) poles bite the bullet, I'll definitely be replacing them with a BD pair.

adventurousmtnlvr
08-30-2008, 22:51
[quote=Bearpaw;690349]I insured the pole but foolishly did not get delivery confirmation.
----------------------------------
If you insure something then the 'company' sending it (if it's not delivered) pays, ie PO etc. thus the insurance. So hope you got that back, but thanks for reminded all of us about adding 'delivery confirmation' I did that recently but not for the same reason you mentioned so that is good to know :)

Also quote from Bearpaw: "My personal opinion is to replace your Lekis with a pair of Black Diamonds with flicklock pole sections. "

.... thanks very much was just about to buy Leki's :o

adventurousmtnlvr
08-30-2008, 23:01
REI has a return policy...

...if they're getting beat by bogus returns it's up to them to change it.

I agree with you in the generalization of this policy (thanks for the written info as I was not familiar with this policy). And I'll agree in the 'technicality' of this policies wording. But some of these prior posts, in general, seem more like a moral issue. Wouldn't it be nice if car manufacturers did that after x amount of years past a typical warranty of an item? Or if an accident happened to a clothing item and oops I don't like it now? Granted some items mentioned are 'lifetime' I'm not including those in THIS reply, that would be different.

Wise Old Owl
08-30-2008, 23:20
Sorry Nick I read the choices and I thought it was a good pole.

EMS screwed up on a return once and that was it, I left her for a better woman REI!

(Every Man Screwed or Early Male Senelity) ... oops