PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Springs

RAT
03-09-2004, 21:48
WIll anyone be stopping by Rainbow Springs Campground (and satellite store) on their way up THE Trail this yr? (under new management). Just wondering. Seems in the short yr of the new owners , it has gone downhill already. Used to be nice clean well kept place.
Rumor has it that Neals Gap is not what it was in the days of Jeff & Dorothy either. Hear they are pushing products on hikers, jacking the prices way up, and convincing them to mail their **** home WAY to early!! I have witnessed alot of changes on the trail in the last two decades. Just wondering about the latest that anyone knows? HAIRNT ! RAT

smokymtnsteve
03-09-2004, 23:42
well if you consider a new yurt down hill from the old "stalog "
bunkhouse.

I can see you have not been there to the new Rainbow springs as the new yurt is uphill form the old bunkhouse. also they are now accepting mail drops and expanded hiker supply. alot better in my humble opinion.

Jack Tarlin
03-10-2004, 00:35
I can't comment on what Rat has heard or seen; I can only comment on what I've heard and seen.

Since the new folks took over at Rainbow Springs, I've heard nothing but positive things; changes this year include a new outfitter shop, plus they're accepting hiker mail and parcels which was not previously the case. Last year, their first full year of operation, I heard nothing but good things about the new folks.

This also goes for Winton and his wife at Neels Gap; they are great folks. Their gear is a little high-end, but nobody is forced or browbeaten into purchasing it. Considering how crazy it gets there during hiker season, it's amazing Winton stays as calm as he does----last year, the guys at Neels Gap, both owners and staff alike, treated the hikers just great, and I've no doubt that this will also be true this year.

If there were any serious complaints about either of these places in recent times, this is the very first I've heard of it.

A-Train
03-10-2004, 00:57
Sure one could say Neels Gap has expensive gear, but is it really their fault? Would you do otherwise? They have a prime location and every hiker knows it. No one is gonna hitch 50 miles to go somewhere else. location, location, location. And for the record I had a staff member go thru my pack and his finally tally and sales pitch was that I should pick up a little 50 cent sponge to clean my pot and suggested sending some stuff home. Didn't force any sales.

And sorry to hear Rainbow Springs has gone downhill in quality if this is true. The place was in tip-top shape exactly a yr ago when I stopped in there and the hospitality was great.

RAT
03-10-2004, 01:43
Thanks for the info, thats why I posted the question! Always good to know what's really going on by those actually in the field. Sounds like great reports so far, let's hope it stays that way. As for the pricy gear at NG, I was only comparing to the former owners' "lower" prices for that "location". I guess we can't expect a place like that NOT to be capitolized upon esp. since hikers are so rich !! lol Thanks again for everyones time and input here to help keep trail news up to date. RAT > PATROL

firefly
03-10-2004, 09:12
A couple of weeks ago I went into Neels Gap shopping for an ultra-lite sleeping bag (something I cannot shop for in Atlanta) I found an expensive (but not over priced) bag I really liked. I would have bought it but one of Winton's employees pointed out that the fabric of the bag might not hold up well since I camp with a dog. (she is a jack russell and she sleeps inside the bag with me) He reccommended a different bag. Winton does not stock this bag but I was offered the web address to order it myself. Since I want to see a bag before I buy it I decided to wait. According to Winton there are some new liteweight bags coming out soon. This is why I do business at Neels Gap. This is not the first time I went in to make an major gear purchase and they have reccommended something else based on their experience. Many of these reccomendations have involved working with the gear I already have versus buying new stuff. I shop gear alot and I do not feel his stuff is overpriced at all. I think some people get the perception he is overpriced because he only stocks quality gear. He does not have any of the cheap stuff mixed in there-people are use to seeing that. I cannot imagine getting poor customer service from them. They are all there because they love hiking and want to help people. I can imagine a grumpy hiker..that is not prepared as well as they thought..that has just had a huge reality check hiking from Springer to Neels gap..that is having to redo their gear and rethink their trip maybe saying something out of frustration that may not be accurate. I do not want to imagine having to deal with several of those those "babes in the woods" in the space of 3 months...

Peaks
03-10-2004, 10:27
Sounds like you got some good advice from the folks at Mountain Crossings.

So, my question to rest of the readers of this thread who complain about high prices is just what price to do put on good advice and customer service?

We should all support our local outfitter because of the services such as this that comes along with the sale.

Rain Man
03-10-2004, 10:34
I've been in the Walasi-Yi hikers center at Neels Gap (the business itself is called "Mountain Crossings"?) twice in the last 6 months, plus have spoken with them by phone a couple of times, plus have emailed with them several times.

I've shipped stuff there for a hiker. My daughter, who went through last week, purchased gaiters and food there and shipped home a tent with their help.

I think Winton and his staff have been curteous, knowledgeable, and friendly, not high-pressure and not high-priced.

I look forward to stopping off at the famous Rainbow Springs when my next section hike takes me by there.

Mountain Crossings at Walasi-Yi, Neels Gap, GA
http://www.mountaincrossings.com/

Rainbow Springs Campground, Franklin, NC
http://www.rainbowspringscampground.com/

Rain Man

Youngblood
03-10-2004, 10:55
They do a great job, as did Jeff and Dorathy when they were the owner/operators. My experience is that Winton and his staff are first rate and that the prices are resonable... they provide a unique service to hikers, ESPICALLY thru-hikers. The trail would not would not be the same without them! Mountain Crossings probably has a more than positive experience on most every thru-hiker that crosses its path.

Youngblood

Blue Jay
03-10-2004, 11:09
Rumor has it

That phrase says it all.

springerfever
03-10-2004, 11:28
They do a great job, as did Jeff and Dorathy when they were the owner/operators. My experience is that Winton and his staff are first rate and that the prices are resonable... they provide a unique service to hikers, ESPICALLY thru-hikers. The trail would not would not be the same without them! Mountain Crossings probably has a more than positive experience on most every thru-hiker that crosses its path.

Youngblood
Absolutely agree !!

Those were some big shoes to fill, and Winton and his staff are definately up to the task !! I get up to Neels Gap every few months and am always amazed with the quality/selection of the gear in such a small store. NO JUNK....not cheap, but comparable with prices in Atlanta...definately your hiking "one stop superstore"

Add in their knowledge and helpfulness and this is by far my favorite Backpacking store..........

gravityman
03-10-2004, 11:33
Taking over an existing buisness is always difficult. The new owners now have to pay a significant portion of their income to paying off the debt of buying the place. The original people who built the place from the ground up do not have to do that. It's the old risk verses return thing - there is less risk buying a place that is established, but for that you have to pay more (i.e. less return). Often times it is tough to come out from under that debt. My guess is they have passed some of that cost on to the consumer. Nothing wrong with that.

Waffle

Pirate
03-10-2004, 11:55
WIll anyone be stopping by Rainbow Springs Campground (and satellite store) on their way up THE Trail this yr? (under new management). Just wondering. Seems in the short yr of the new owners , it has gone downhill already. Used to be nice clean well kept place.
Rumor has it that Neals Gap is not what it was in the days of Jeff & Dorothy either. Hear they are pushing products on hikers, jacking the prices way up, and convincing them to mail their **** home WAY to early!! I have witnessed alot of changes on the trail in the last two decades. Just wondering about the latest that anyone knows? HAIRNT ! RAT
Hey Rat. I always stop at Rainbow Springs. Was not bad last year when I was there.

smokymtnsteve
03-10-2004, 13:51
Hey Rat. I always stop at Rainbow Springs. Was not bad last year when I was there.

I am glad you weren't bad there last year Pirate.

I remember when the truck burned in 2000, were you bad that year? LOL :D

I have seen the new yurt at Rainbow springs..It going to be a LOT nicer to stay in than the ole concrete block bunkhouse.

does anyone know if the sauna is completed?

Rain Man
03-10-2004, 14:50
I have seen the new yurt at Rainbow springs.....

I'll bite ... what's a "yurt"???

smokymtnsteve
03-10-2004, 16:08
Main Entry: yurt
Pronunciation: 'yurt
Function: noun
Etymology: Russian dialect yurta, of Turkic origin; akin to Turkish yurt home
: a circular domed tent of skins or felt stretched over a collapsible lattice framework and used by pastoral peoples of inner Asia; also : a structure that resembles a yurt usually in size and design

In this case instead of skin or felt it is a heavy duty type tarp material...
inside there is a wood heater and bunks...also the location is better for the shower house.....bigger more open feeling than the old stalog.

to see a pic of the new yurt

http://www.rainbowspringscampground.com/gallery.htm

Ankle Bone
03-10-2004, 16:26
According to the owners, the sauna is up and running!

papa john
03-10-2004, 16:55
Man, 24 stinky, snoring hikers and all their gear in a yurt! Wonder if they will add a front porch to that thing. Sitting outside the bunkhouse was relaxing.

smokymtnsteve
03-10-2004, 17:47
as far as I know the old stalog is still there and will be used for overflow...so you can still stay there..isn't it nice to have a choice!

and mail drops too....isn't it nice to have the choice.

A-Train
03-10-2004, 18:07
from the link steve put up it seems as if the owners have changed hands again! I know the Crossmans owned it for years. When i went thru Phil and Yvette were just opening, but they are not the owners pictured on the website....did it change hands in just one year? Anyone know?

papa john
03-10-2004, 18:07
Well, I was always partial to RSC, they always treated me well there. I have been back several times and will be going back the end of this month for a few days for the hammockfest. Sounds like the new owners have made some positive improvements.

smokymtnsteve
03-10-2004, 18:27
from the link steve put up it seems as if the owners have changed hands again! I know the Crossmans owned it for years. When i went thru Phil and Yvette were just opening, but they are not the owners pictured on the website....did it change hands in just one year? Anyone know?

no as far I as know same owners as last year. Terry and Barry are the on site mangers. Terry and Barry were also there last year.

Rain Man
03-10-2004, 19:01
a circular domed tent of skins or felt stretched over a collapsible lattice framework and used by pastoral peoples of inner Asia...
In this case instead of skin or felt it is a heavy duty type tarp material...
inside there is a wood heater and bunks...

Ahhhhh..... now I see. Never heard that word. Thanks, now I know!

Rain Man

Ankle Bone
03-11-2004, 09:17
I did a section hike last May and finished there. At that time, the owners were a couple, Barry and Terry Glidden, and another fella named Phil Largin.

hpowers
03-11-2004, 17:31
I'll bite ... what's a "yurt"???

I can't resist this. A "Yurt" is really a Ger.

RAT
03-12-2004, 15:46
Hey Trash,

thanks for all the informative feedback here, sure helps to get good info from the field. As for the new owners, they are as of this minute: Phil & Yvette. The other two are only the hosts that kinda run things with them. I remember my first hike from Springer back in `91 when I stopped there. I had no complaints then nor now, and have been friends with the Crossman`s ever since.I am glad to hear that the new folks at NG are doing well also , I have also been friends of Jeff and Dorothy since that time too. Looking fwd to all the trash coming thru this yr. See ya at Brown Gap or Trail Daze ! The band will be doing one show at TD`s at the Old Mill on Thursday.Also look for hobocentral.com in the coming weeks ! See ya there ! HAIRNT ! RAT > PATROL