PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used the Steripen that has an opinion?

adventurousmtnlvr
08-29-2008, 22:09
New to backpacking and while I've read many threads on water purifiers on WB and on the Internet; just wondering if anyone used the Steripen and like or disliked it and why. Thanks :)

Marta
08-29-2008, 22:14
We just bought one last night, on sale at REI.

Monday night I'll let you know how it worked out for us.

adventurousmtnlvr
08-29-2008, 22:56
I'm just buying literally everything from shoes up and all gear. Saw one a Rock Creek (we don't have an REI) .... the guy there (kid who does backpack in many places LOVES his). He did NOT buy the 'filter' and uses his bandanna to filter water prior to treating (to save ounces as he is an ultra lite person). He only said (which you may know as I know nothing about any filter first hand) water is still dirty looking and taste will be the same but "purified" ... so thanks for letting me know after you try it out. And he added (from the 2 types they had in stock) that one shape will go in Gatorade bottle but the other shape won't. Let me know if it was from clean water (running) or stagnant if you think of it. Thanks!

Summit
08-29-2008, 23:05
I love mine. It lasts for weeks on 4 lithium batteries - real peace of mind about the water you're drinking. Here's a good thread (more if you search 'steripen'):

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35710&highlight=steripen

adventurousmtnlvr
08-29-2008, 23:25
[quote=Summit;690259] Here's a good thread (more if you search 'steripen'):

Thanks Summit. I hit the 'search' button on the main page and typed that in but I didn't get this one you found ... perhaps I searched incorrectly.

sheepdog
08-30-2008, 00:01
I've used my steripen for over a year. I have had no problems with it and never got sick. That includes hiking in Michigan and drinking from streams that have a large beaver population.

Lawn Sale
08-30-2008, 00:38
I have used them for years with a few problems at the beginning, but there was a flaw in the original design. They replaced the pen with apologies and some free gear.

I have the filter/screen that goes with the Classic, and it's very handy if you have the Classic (I also have the Adventurer). It does filter out the larger chunks that could be a problem, and it avoids letting non-radiated water on the threads.

They're a great group at Hydro-Photon and take pride in their product. I have worked with many UV units, know the chemistry, have reviewed their data, and recommend them highly.

Phlashlite
08-30-2008, 04:56
we uxed one and really liked it. bough it in port clinton and it worked very well.

borntobeoutdoors
08-30-2008, 15:07
I have the adventurer and I also bought the pre filter. Beats the blazes out of everything I've ever used in the last 40 years. :banana:banana:banana

Uncle Tom
08-30-2008, 15:08
I used one for my whole thru hike. I did not have any problems with it, and while I didn't get sick at all, it might not have been due to the Steripen's effects. There were people out there who didn't do anything but drink unfiltered, unpurified water and they didn't get sick either. The research is solid regarding the practice of UV light killing off DNA in microorganisms. I still use it, consider it benign voodoo.

Summit
08-30-2008, 15:28
A little analysis given the current new offerings from Steripen:

SteriPEN® JourneyLCD Handheld Water Purifier (JY-RP)
Weight: 4.5 oz. with batteries.
Battery type: Lithium CR123a Batteries
Number of Expected Uses 0.5 L (16 oz.) of water: 100 (50 Nalgene 1L bottles)
Unit cost: $99.95 + $12.95 for Steripen® Pre-Filter (SP-PF) = $112.90
Battery Cost (: $1.43 x 2 = $2.86 ($5.72 for 200/100 'Classic' equivalence)
PROs: LED battery life indicator, 2 oz. lighter
CONs: Initial cost is $22.95 higher, availability of batteries along the trail-not good (good mail drop item)

SteriPEN® Classic with Pre-Filter Pack (SPPF-RP)
Weight: 6.5 oz. with batteries
Battery type: AA Lithium e2 Batteries
Number of Expected Uses 0.5 L (16 oz.) of water: 200 (100 Nalgene 1L bottles)
Unit cost: $89.95
Battery Cost (4 AAs): $7.79
PROs: Cost is $22.95 less
CONs: No LED battery indicator, requiring carrying extra set of batteries after a couple of weeks of usage, 2 oz. heavier + extra batteries weight, availability of batteries along the trail-not good (good mail drop item)

Based on these considerations, although I own the classic (Journey didn't exist when purchased), I would go with the Journey model primarily for convenience of the LED battery status. Total cost of ownership will favor the Journey model over life of the unit due to $2.07 savings per 200/100. At 2,218/1,109 uses you will break even. If you don't plan on hiking that much or living that long and cost is important over weight, go with the Classic. I did not compare the other models as I don't think they are suited as well for the purpose.

Obviously, if you can find either of these on sale, that would blow my numbers, so you'll have do your own calculations! :)

Thinking about obtaining batteries on a 'thru,' it is unlikely that gas stations/convenience stores will have CR123 batteries but AA Heavy Duty (not lithium) batteries are everywhere and will do the job, you'll just go through more of them. That might be a compelling reason to go with the 'Classic' if you intend to do extended trip hikes.

Summit
08-30-2008, 20:58
Thanks to 'adventurousmtnlvr (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=18260)' for pointing me to a negative review from REI. The issue centered around the unit not staying on when immersed in water - mentioned that a pinch of salt solved the problem when water contains low electrolyte levels. I haven't tried/tested that, but on several occasions when mine either didn't turn on or turned on and went off immediately, I dried the two electrodes (sensors) off and then mine worked. I have a habit now of leaving the plastic cap off for a little bit after use to allow the sensors to air dry. When I need to dry them I use either a dry part of my T-shirt or if it is too sweaty, I use a sheet of toilet paper (works even better). After drying the sensors, I've never had mine fail to light.

ScoutingFamily74
08-30-2008, 21:18
We love ours, I would recommend the filter as it will remove most crunchies!

Wildecoach
08-30-2008, 22:02
Absolutely loved mine. I used it in China for over 21 days and didn't have any problems at all. The only issue I have is that I can't use it with my platypus bladder.

adventurousmtnlvr
08-30-2008, 22:15
The only issue I have is that I can't use it with my platypus bladder.

Like I said when I began this thread, I'm new so if this is a dumb question forgive me. But can't you use a bottle, treat that since it doesn't take all that long; put that into the platypus and begin again until it's full ? (or is that irritating time wise) ... I've only seen them in the store, haven't used one yet.

Skidsteer
08-30-2008, 22:37
Like I said when I began this thread, I'm new so if this is a dumb question forgive me. But can't you use a bottle, treat that since it doesn't take all that long; put that into the platypus and begin again until it's full ? (or is that irritating time wise) ... I've only seen them in the store, haven't used one yet.

You can do it that way, or use the platypus(or any bladder)as the 'wild water' container to be poured into the bottle and then treated.

That's what I do because I gave up on hydration bladders in a pack years ago. I carry one or two Platy reservoirs for camp water and the occasional long, dry stretch.

Lawn Sale
08-30-2008, 22:39
Yes, you can do that with the bottle and platypus.

Earlier Classic models had a problem with the electrodes. Water would work its way underneath them and short circuit the electrodes. The newer models have the electrodes sealed in silicone to prevent it from happening. That was the issue with mine originally.

briarpatch
08-30-2008, 22:47
I use the AquaStar.Same principle but its designed to fit in a nalgene.

http://www.uvaquastar.com/standard.aspx?elid=258

adventurousmtnlvr
08-30-2008, 23:10
You can do it that way, or use the platypus(or any bladder)as the 'wild water' container to be poured into the bottle and then treated.

That's what I do because I gave up on hydration bladders in a pack years ago. I carry one or two Platy reservoirs for camp water and the occasional long, dry stretch.

and then how to you clean your potentially contaminated bladders later? Wouldn't they ruin if boiled or however they are cleaned?

Skidsteer
08-30-2008, 23:21
and then how to you clean your potentially contaminated bladders later? Wouldn't they ruin if boiled or however they are cleaned?

Bleach and water after the hike.

Rain Man
08-31-2008, 00:40
A little analysis given the current new offerings from Steripen:

SteriPEN® JourneyLCD Handheld Water Purifier (JY-RP)
Weight: 4.5 oz. with batteries.
Battery type: Lithium CR123a Batteries

Summit, first of all, thanks for the excellent comparison! I have to say that the thing that does NOT impress me about the Journey is that it requires an oddball battery. That ruins the multi-use functionality, not to mention ease of finding replacements on the trail. If it took AA batteries, I'd be much more impressed with it. That's all.

Rain:sunMan

adventurousmtnlvr
08-31-2008, 12:45
I am curious if any 'brainiac' sorts know if those who used this in 'higher' elevations that all seemed to need to add salt to make it turn back on; if that is due to elevation from mountain/glacier run-offs lacking electrolytes, or if that could happen in any body of water.

SoonerTex
08-31-2008, 14:18
I am also looking at getting a SteriPen. No one has mentioned the Solar charger option. Does it not work? SoonerTex

adventurousmtnlvr
08-31-2008, 14:22
I don't know your direct answer but on REI look up their reviews ... didn't give a good rating; however it is only one site. And remember you'd need to been in sun for it to work properly anyway and if hiking in trees don't know how long it would have to charge or if it was charged, what the length of holding a charge would be .... maybe if you look at different stores reviews there may be an answer there. I'm researching many things myself which is why I began this one where other threads didn't mention the salt for instance.

Summit
08-31-2008, 16:42
Just returned from REI here in Durham. The Steripen Classic is on sale for $55! :eek:

The charger is expensive and I understand it takes far too long to be practical for backpacking along the Eastern 'green tunnel.' Might work if you had it somehow strapped to the top of your pack in the Sierra Nevada range.

adventurousmtnlvr
08-31-2008, 21:11
Dept of the Army on various types of water purifying (http://usachppm.apgea.army.mil/wpd/pdfdocs/finalreport.pdf)

it includes the steripen ... but it's a long document, very detailed ... another site said look at pg 16 but I found steripen throughout along with charts and 'conclusions' in their tests

Summit
08-31-2008, 21:51
Dept of the Army on various types of water purifying (http://usachppm.apgea.army.mil/wpd/pdfdocs/finalreport.pdf)

it includes the steripen ... but it's a long document, very detailed ... another site said look at pg 16 but I found steripen throughout along with charts and 'conclusions' in their testsThanks for that source. Having spent 20 years in the Air Force and being familiar with the 'military mentality,' I would suggest balancing these findings with a number of other reputable testing laboratories, many of which can be found here:

http://www.steripen.com/testing.html

Yes, the link is a Steripen site link, but the links within the link are not. They are official documented reports from the sources identified.

Given that it is common knowledge that government reports have a reputation of 'stacking the cards' from time to time, I believe a clearer picture is obtained by using more sources of data.

I read a lot of these reports before investing in the Steripen as a water treatment solution, and my confidence level was satisfied. Having used the product for two years with zero instances of gastronomical maladies, I stand by it. It may not be everyone's choice, but it is mine. :)

adventurousmtnlvr
08-31-2008, 22:43
I'm "x" Army myself but not as many service years as yourself. Thanks for the other testing link ... I was still trying to research and thus the research goes on ,lol. I was more fascinated at all the material on the steripen site as well that said it was 'designed' for clear water (as in running) and not quite as much for 'murky' (not referring to the military link, this was on another site). So it mentioned NOT killing all the bugs afterall ... but then another guy said we eat 'bugs' at home and in restaurants anyway all the time. So many opinions is confusing, lol but such is life :)

rafe
08-31-2008, 23:09
I still use it, consider it benign voodoo.

Which can probably be said for most forms of water purification. I used a Steripen for my very short JMT hike a few weeks ago. Didn't get sick, but I suspect the Steripen had little or nothing to do with that.

hammock engineer
09-01-2008, 08:00
I killed 3 of them and are done with them. The company is good at replacing them. But I am not convinced it is a good product.

Summit
09-01-2008, 09:14
I killed 3 of them and are done with them. The company is good at replacing them. But I am not convinced it is a good product.Well, it's a known fact that 'hammock engineers' kill crowbars in a sandbox! :p :D

On the serious side, I've been using mine for two years and it has been very reliable. A few times it fails to turn on if the sensors are wet, but I have learned how to mostly avoid (let air dry after use if not rainy) and remedy (dry off with sheet of toilet paper) this.

Fiddleback
09-01-2008, 09:47
I'm "x" Army myself but not as many service years as yourself. Thanks for the other testing link ... I was still trying to research and thus the research goes on ,lol. I was more fascinated at all the material on the steripen site as well that said it was 'designed' for clear water (as in running) and not quite as much for 'murky' (not referring to the military link, this was on another site). So it mentioned NOT killing all the bugs afterall ... but then another guy said we eat 'bugs' at home and in restaurants anyway all the time. So many opinions is confusing, lol but such is life :)

The Steripen and other UV treatments do not "kill" bugs. The UV disrupts the DNA so that the bugs cannot reproduce. Therefore, when ingested they cannot grow to the numbers necessary to cause disease or adverse symptoms. QUOTE:The ultra-violet rays, similar to the sun’s UV but stronger, alter the nucleic acid (DNA) of viruses, bacteria, molds or parasites, so that they cannot reproduce and are considered inactivated. UV treatment does not alter the water chemically as nothing is added except energy. It should be noted that inactivated microorganisms are not removed from the water. UV treatment does not remove dirt and particles, metals such as lead or iron, or hard minerals such as calcium.ENDQUOTE http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/maho/wawa/wawa_002.cfm

There are bugs in our food and in our municipal water and wells but the amount meets standards...i.e., the contamination level is very low and not a cause for concern. In a sense, UV water treatment creates that low-level standard by ensuring that the bug population cannot grow to problem-causing size.

FYI, municipal water systems worldwide are adding UV treatments This is being done because of the outbreak of giardia and crypto in 'treated' water. In particular, giardia and crypto are resistant to traditional chlorination treatments (chlorine dioxide is different and is more effective) and UV systems are being added as a final step to cleaning public water. In my area, Missoula added/upgraded UV treatment about two years ago.

Some definitions of 'alive' or 'life' include the ability to reproduce. Only in that sense are UV treated bugs 'dead.' Here's a wikipedia link on the chemistry of UV treatment; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet_Germicidal_Irradiation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet_Germicidal_Irradiation)

FB

grumpypickle
09-01-2008, 09:48
I used a Steripen Adventuruer on my thru hike this year. The lamp burned out on my 1st unit before the NOC. Steripen dropped a replacement for me to Fontana and I used that unit until the lamp went out again around Kent, CT. After that I said screw it and used Aqua Mira. That being said, I will get the 2nd unit fixed and continue using the product. It is fast and convenoient (when working!). One reccomendation; by extra CR123 batteries and put them in your bounce box. They can sometimes be harder to find. The older units run on AA batts and I saw a few people carrying those this year. The unit is definitely heavier, but the batteries are multi purpose.

Roots
09-01-2008, 11:06
I used the SteriPen on my section in April and it worked well. Mine runs off of AA batteries. I use the Lithium ones. I never had a problem with it. It isn't as convenient to use with 2 people so I switched to a filter after my trip. From what I have learned in the past year and from others on the trail using one, it is a hit or miss product. Some versions work very well without flaw--like mine--some screw up from the start. I believe it is like most other things in the equipment world. I have the Hyperflow and you can definitely say the same for it. Mine works fine.

adventurousmtnlvr
09-01-2008, 11:34
[quote=Fiddleback;691070] chlorination treatments (chlorine dioxide is different and is more effective) and UV systems are being added as a final step to cleaning public water.

You seem to know a bit on this topic so which treatment do YOU prefer, if that is alright to ask (for your own trips)? and thanks for that info; it was indeed similar to the one(s) I found as well. But I've yet to buy any system and don't want to waste money I don't have ....

Wonder
09-01-2008, 11:50
I LOVED mine......I just had the old uber heavy model.....ended up ditching it. I miss it

Fiddleback
09-01-2008, 20:31
[quote=Fiddleback;691070] chlorination treatments (chlorine dioxide is different and is more effective) and UV systems are being added as a final step to cleaning public water.

You seem to know a bit on this topic so which treatment do YOU prefer, if that is alright to ask (for your own trips)? and thanks for that info; it was indeed similar to the one(s) I found as well. But I've yet to buy any system and don't want to waste money I don't have ....

For the last couple years I've used a Bota filter bottle on the trail during the day and chemical treatment for the larger amounts of water in used in camp. I really like the convenience of the Bota. But then, most of my trails run pretty close to streams...just dip and fill, squeeze and drink.

This week I hope to get out if the hills didn't get too much snow yesterday and today. If I do, I'll probably be taking a SteriPen Adventurer for the first time...a gift from My Lady. But I'll still be hiking with the Bota and iodine from the first aid kit will be my back-up for either piece of gear.

FB

adventurousmtnlvr
09-01-2008, 21:05
Thank you for that :) ... oh so you are in higher elevations if you had snow so the water would be cleaner where you are, just lower electrolytes I guess. That would be one difference from the south I suppose. In any case THANKS!!!

And thanks to ALL of you who responded. Regardless of the various ways each person prefers ... the main point is that we all "communicate" good, bad or indifferent and frankly "this is how we LEARN" ... thanks everyone :)

smaaax
09-01-2008, 21:30
If you aren't using a pre filter and are just dipping your water bottle, the water on the threads isn't being treated. Same thing as not treating your water at all.

Marta
09-01-2008, 21:56
Just returned from REI here in Durham. The Steripen Classic is on sale for $55! :eek:

Yep, that's why we decided to try it out.

Used it this weekend. Very easy. We like it so far.

Fiddleback
09-02-2008, 11:42
If you aren't using a pre filter and are just dipping your water bottle, the water on the threads isn't being treated. Same thing as not treating your water at all.

If your comment is directed to the Bota filter bottle use...it's not a concern. In use, the water does not exit the bottle except through the filter. For other gear, wiping the threads clean is sufficient.

But the admonition is valid. Cross contamination is a major problem on the trail...dirty hands, dirty utensils, etc.

FB

adventurousmtnlvr
09-03-2008, 00:32
Used it this weekend. Very easy. We like it so far.

Thanks for feedback, but could you tell me if you used it in running water or water standing still (as in a little dirty looking) ? And did you turn yours up-side-down; loosen the lid ... shake excess untreated water off threads and wipe it or what? ... just curious ... thanks ! :)

Mags
09-03-2008, 15:55
I suspect the Steripen will be replacing filters as the default water treatment for most backpackers (not long distance hikers).

The price is coming down (which is more important than weight for Joe/Jane average backpacker) and it has a high "gee whiz" factor.

On a trip in July, one person had a Steripen. Almost everyone wanted to use it it! (Except for one lone thru-hiker veteran. Guess who? ;)) and said "This is so cool!" and "This works so well!"

I can not comment on the effectiveness of the Steripen over other treatment methods, but I can confidently predict this method will become more and more common in the years ahead. Not just among backpackers, but outdoor users in general (rock climbers, canyoneers, trail runners..etc. Those activities tend to attract more gear heads anyway).

I expect filters to become less used as they are about the same price now and weigh more than a Steripen. Plus Steripens light up! :) Chemicals are still around for lightweight weenies and/or KISS principle people like myself.

adventurousmtnlvr
09-03-2008, 16:42
ok Mags ... what do you seem to think you know that I (being new) may need to know? lol (hows that for a confusing sentence, lol)

Mags
09-03-2008, 17:01
ok Mags ... what do you seem to think you know that I (being new) may need to know? lol (hows that for a confusing sentence, lol)

From http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&Itemid=33
Four common ways to treat water are:

1) Boiling Boiling water to a rolling boil will kill nasties in the water. But, it takes very long, makes the water tastes flat, and uses lots of fuel. Most use boiling as a last resort only

2) Chemically Using iodine is the old standby for water treatment up until recently. Typically known as “Portable Aqua” these tabs will treat one liter of water each. They take longer to treat water than a filter/purifier but are lighter and less complex than the filters. Iodine does have an aftertaste that some people do not like. You can also use iodine crystals (i.e. Polar Pure) and a newer chemical treatment known as Aqua Mira. Aqua Mira takes less time to treat water than iodine and is a two stage chemical process.

3) Filters/Purifiers Filters and purifiers are for most people the standard tool in the backpacker’s water treatment arsenal. Though they are heavier, bulkier and can break down/clog, they will treat water quickly and without a chemical after taste. If using a filter, be sure to keep the intake (dirty water) and output (clean water) hoses separate.

4) Steripen The equipment of choice for geeks! :) This pen-like device uses UV radiation to sterilize water. Besides being a bit expensive (~$80 online), it also depends upon batteries. Its main attraction is that it is quicker than other methods of treating water.

Finally, be sure to wash your hands after “doing #2” and before eating. A simple bottle of Purrell (alcohol based hand sanitizer) can do wonders to prevent GI illnesses (tummy ache and the runs to non-medical types like me!). No point in treating water if you are sticking a dirty hand in your food..or worse yet, you may stick YOUR dirty hand in someone else's GORP. Yeeech!

Filters, Steripens and, to a lesser extent, chemical treatment can be shared among multiple people on this trip. Steripen

Marta
09-03-2008, 17:16
Thanks for feedback, but could you tell me if you used it in running water or water standing still (as in a little dirty looking) ? And did you turn yours up-side-down; loosen the lid ... shake excess untreated water off threads and wipe it or what? ... just curious ... thanks ! :)

The water was running (springs and streams) and exceedingly clear, to my eyes, anyway.

One of the things I liked best was that the Steripen did not change the taste of the water at all. With mountain spring water, that's a good thing. I've been using Aqua Mira for several years, which doesn't taste too bad, but the Steripen-treated water tastes better.

As you described, I turned the bottles upside down and rinsed the threads with treated water. I didn't wipe the threads. My belief is that we'd probably be fine without even treating the water at all, so I'm not overly concerned about maintaining a hospital standard of cleanliness.

One comment--In order to use SteriPen you've got to have an appropriate water container. Gatorade bottles are great. The mouth is wide enough to admit the light source and sensors, but narrow enough that the standard SteriPen model can rest on the rim without falling in.

One thing that makes the treatment cycle fail is to let the little sensors come up above the surface of the water.

The SteriPen was a significant time saver over Aqua Mira this past weekend when my husband and I were hiking together. The weather was hot and humid and we were going through a lot of water. Instead of mix, wait, treat, wait, it was zap and drink.

Another convenient thing is that, if you have a partially-filled bottle, you can just top it off with new water and zap it.

If you're unsure whether you've really done a good job, you can always shake the bottle up and zap it again.

A friend who was hiking with us this past weekend had a SteriPen and didn't like it at all. She uses a water bladder and didn't like treating one liter at a time, then pouring it into the bladder. She found it time-consuming. I have to say, however, that we always had the water for two of us treated and ready to go before our two filter-using friends were even ready to start pumping.

As you can tell, I have the zeal of a convert. Ask me again a few months from now to see if I still like the thing when the new wears off.:D

Summit
09-03-2008, 18:22
Based on Mags' good analysis, it's kind of a simple choice for me. Sometimes when you get to a water replenishment source, you're extremely thirsty. I don't want to wait for chemical treatment or boiling/cooling to swig down some nice cold water. And with the boiling, in summer you may never get a drink of COLD water. Blah!

I tried a First Needs filter and quickly discovered that I loath pumping water. There's just nothing fun/pleasant about it IMHO. Not to mention how often you have to disassemble/clean the dang thing.

So, while the Steripen may not be the 'perfect solution,' it is for me the best solution. It's quick. It doesn't alter the taste of the water. You get to drink nice cold water. And if you're dead tired from hiking too many miles, it's not a painful chore to have to perform.

As to cost, I think (and I'm not going to try to spell it all out in detail) one might be surprised. Aqua-Mira adds up quickly. A pump filter is close to the cost of the Steripen and the filter replacement is nearly as much as the whole unit. Could very easily exceed the total cost of ownership of the Steripen, battery consumption included, if you replace the filter as prescribed. Boiling would only cost and require more fuel to be carried, but unless it's cold weather, I really don't want to drink luke warm water, so who cares about cost savings for that solution?

adventurousmtnlvr
09-03-2008, 20:01
ok, my last personal question for ANYONE using the steripen (or those only reading this thread that have) ... has ANYONE used it in "stagnant" water ... not running water and murky looking in the container AND STILL wanted to continue to use the steripen?????

rafe
09-03-2008, 20:21
ok, my last personal question for ANYONE using the steripen (or those only reading this thread that have) ... has ANYONE used it in "stagnant" water ... not running water and murky looking in the container AND STILL wanted to continue to use the steripen?????

Not me... but merely thinking about that scenario somewhat confirms and reinforces my long-standing preference for filters (as opposed to chemicals, Steripen, or no-treatment.)

Summit
09-03-2008, 21:36
ok, my last personal question for ANYONE using the steripen (or those only reading this thread that have) ... has ANYONE used it in "stagnant" water ... not running water and murky looking in the container AND STILL wanted to continue to use the steripen?????I think you hit the nail on the head why the US Army report you provided came down so hard on the Steripen. Soldiers must go where the battle (enemy) goes, and that means they may have to get their water out of mud puddles as a last resort. The Steripen would not be the solution to use there for sure.

But when hiking the AT, the CDT, the PCT, and most other mountainous trails, you should be able to find reasonably clear running water most of the time. You should get the pre-filter for the Steripen and it's not a bad idea to have a few Aqua-Mira tabs as a backup, just in case!

adventurousmtnlvr
09-03-2008, 21:55
Yes, a backup ... good idea, lol. This next statement isn't regarding the steripen; however it fascinated me anyway. I watch all those "survivalist" type shows (granted these people have advice in advance about where they are and resources. But this Canadian guy was in some rocky, desertish place and found a stagnant pond. And what I found facinating was what he did to "drink" ... he went approximately about a foot away (uphill) from the pond and dug in the sand until he found water and I can't remember what he used to get the water out (strawish stick or outside of a pen) but he said that the "sand" filtered MOST (certainly not all) of the the worst parts. So he didn't drink from the pond itself. Don't know if it works but I still found it fascinating. Your muddy water story reminded me of that. Thanks all again for your GREAT responses. I really do appreciate ALL the input as we all do what is best for each of us I still enjoy the "knowledge" of all the viewpoints.

Marta
09-03-2008, 22:04
The SteriPen's effectiveness is supposed to be reduced by particles in the water. If I head towards a place where I might need to drink cloudy water, I'd probably bring a coffee filter or two to sieve out the big pieces. Or use a bandana.

As far as flavor goes, I usually carry some drink mixes along anyway as an energy boost, and they work great to mask the taste of manky water.

88BlueGT
09-03-2008, 22:21
My main hiking partner has a steripen and we use as our main "purifier". IMO, its OK. Does it do the job? yes. Depending on your setup it can be time consuming though. I use a 1L nalgene and a 2L bag. Not only can it be a pain because you can only do 1L at a time and than fill the bag. For ex, we were at a "stream" this weekend with really slow shallow moving water. I could only get my nalgene to fill less than half way. So we had to purify 3/8 of a L for over 7 liters (including myself and my buddy). It took almost a half hour when all said and done. That all could have been prevented by a pump and would have taken more on the lines of five minutes. Also, if you are like me and highly prefer narrow mouth to wide mouth bottles, your in a tough position also because the steripen barely fits in there. Like I said, IMO it depends on your own preferences and setup, for me I say pump all the way.

Mags
09-03-2008, 22:23
the taste of manky water.

But..that's trail tea! Mmmm..mmmm...mmmm :D

http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=15316&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=9b7269e0127675108ae6001d1d0952b4

My buddy d-low gives his feelings about my water treatment habits...
Disco blogs about it. (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=184215) :)

adventurousmtnlvr
09-03-2008, 22:28
[quote=Mags;692290]But..that's trail tea! Mmmm..mmmm...mmmm :D

---------------------

LOL on the Kodak moment face ... I think I may need some flavoring teas for sure then, lol as my taste buds are really sensitive ... LOVE the pic though! Yuck ... trail tea ... guess it goes with snipes for dinner huh

Skidsteer
09-03-2008, 22:32
Just don't carry see-thru water containers. :D

88BlueGT
09-04-2008, 00:34
^^^^thats why i carry a green nalgene lol it just all blends in no matter what the color

Marta
09-04-2008, 07:21
But..that's trail tea! Mmmm..mmmm...mmmm :D

http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=15316&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=9b7269e0127675108ae6001d1d0952b4

Disco blogs about it. (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=184215) :)

As Lili von Stupp would say, "That is simply now-se-a-ting.":rolleyes:

Roots
09-04-2008, 07:33
My main hiking partner has a steripen and we use as our main "purifier". IMO, its OK. Does it do the job? yes. Depending on your setup it can be time consuming though. I use a 1L nalgene and a 2L bag. Not only can it be a pain because you can only do 1L at a time and than fill the bag. For ex, we were at a "stream" this weekend with really slow shallow moving water. I could only get my nalgene to fill less than half way. So we had to purify 3/8 of a L for over 7 liters (including myself and my buddy). It took almost a half hour when all said and done. That all could have been prevented by a pump and would have taken more on the lines of five minutes. Also, if you are like me and highly prefer narrow mouth to wide mouth bottles, your in a tough position also because the steripen barely fits in there. Like I said, IMO it depends on your own preferences and setup, for me I say pump all the way.

That is why I switched to a filter. I got tired of being at the water source for 30+ minutes while my friends were already cooking their dinner. BUT the steripen works. I do like the convience of it, but doing enough to fill my bladder can be a real pain. It is a learning curve that I eventually got use to. Since my filter finally proved to be a MSR statistic--the hyperflow--I'll be using my steri again until I get another filter.

88BlueGT
09-04-2008, 12:11
what do you mean by "since my filter finally proved to be a MSR statistic--the hyperflow--"?

Summit
09-04-2008, 13:01
The alternative is to make your bladder the untreated water. Fill it up straight from the water source, and then treat 1L at a time as needed in your water bottle. That's the way I do it with my collapsible Reliance and it works well for me.

http://www.rei.com/product/402099

But I guess if you want to turn around and drink from the bladder via tube hiking the next day, that wouldn't work. Oh well, one reason besides loathing drinking from a tube that I just drink from a Nalgene while hiking.

Marta
09-04-2008, 13:09
I completely don't understand the time saving of using filters and water bladders. David and I each carry two water bottles. Zapping four bottles really doesn't take very long. As I remarked earlier, David and I were usually done and sitting around, drinking and snacking, while our hiking companions wrestled with their filters and bladders.

I can think of reasons to use a filter, but saving time isn't one of them. OTOH, if you are not using, or are willing to use, bottles that work well with the SteriPen, it's probably not the device for you.

keifers13
09-04-2008, 13:47
While researching the Steripen, I read that the PA Air National Guard uses the Steripen in their survival kits. So if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me. Having used pumps, iodine drops, and now the Steripen, the Steripen is by far the best in terms of cost, weight, and taste.

astrogirl
09-04-2008, 22:03
I love mine.

I use a nalgene cantene (like a platy, but with a mouth as wide as a nalgene) to fill and treat, then pour into wide-mouth water bottles (generally aquafina) that I replace every few months.

I found the pre-filter fussy, and if I see particulates, I use my bandana as a filter. This was not an issue in the spring at all. I'm not terribly picky about a little bit of particulate matter (floaties, crunchies). YMMV. :D

Summit
09-04-2008, 22:21
I love mine.

I use a nalgene cantene (like a platy, but with a mouth as wide as a nalgene) to fill and treat, then pour into wide-mouth water bottles (generally aquafina) that I replace every few months.

I found the pre-filter fussy, and if I see particulates, I use my bandana as a filter. This was not an issue in the spring at all. I'm not terribly picky about a little bit of particulate matter (floaties, crunchies). YMMV. :DThis time of year if you aren't ingesting a 'skeeter' or gnat or two with every meal or drink, you ain't livin' right! :D

Cookerhiker
09-05-2008, 20:49
I used my new steripen the first time this past week on a brief White Mountains hike. Liked it for the reasons everyone else has stated. It drew stares from the other hikers.

Summit
09-05-2008, 23:15
Two years ago at Deep Gap shelter in GA (near Tray), there were a total of 11 of us. I was the only one NOT USING a Steripen. Everyone was purifying water and cooking about dusk and it looked like a swarm of fireflies! :) I went back home from that week-long hike, went straight to REI and got me one!