PDA

View Full Version : Weather

GeneralLee10
08-30-2008, 16:58
I was planning on a thru hike wanted to start in the beg. of April. Wondering if someone can give me tips on what kinda clothes to pack. Also would it be to late to start then?

Sly
08-30-2008, 17:06
Beginning early April is an ideal time to start, leaving plenty of time to get to ME.. For the most part weather should be mild, convertible pants, a fleece, gloves, balaclava/fleece hat, rain jacket and a 20* bag should do.

max patch
08-30-2008, 18:36
I think the first 2 weeks of April is the "best" time to start a thru for most people. Early starters miss hiking in New England in the fall which is a real shame.

refreeman
08-30-2008, 21:47
I think the first 2 weeks of April is the "best" time to start a thru for most people. Early starters miss hiking in New England in the fall which is a real shame.

Doesn't the south have a colorful fall as New England?

Blissful
08-30-2008, 22:18
Yes, good time to start. Still need cool weather items though until mid May. We did get snow and cold temps (teens) beginning of April, so plan for everything. Make sure to have a 20 degree bag at least for a few weeks. Bring an insulated jacket. Hat. Gloves. But also a pair of shorts (or take convertible pants) and t-shirt.