PDA

View Full Version : Live From The Clyde Butcher Muck-A-Bout

wahoo
08-30-2008, 18:42
Good evening Whiteblazers and FT peeps -

Here's a quick run-down of the Clyde Butcher Muck-A-Bout for Saturday. How's this for on-the-spot reporting?

The event is going well! There's a huge turnout despite the weather (it's raining now, but held out for most of the day) and every looks to be having a great time. Cars are lined up down Hwy 41, and tons of folks are stomping around in the swamp. Live music, good eats, great people - the Muck-A-Bout is awesome!

I'm over at Collier-Seminole State Park where it's raining, everyone is huddled in the screen room listening to the thunder and the pitter-patter of raindrops. Looks like it will rain through the night, hope it clears up for the event tomorrow.

Hammock Hanger
08-30-2008, 22:56
Good evening Whiteblazers and FT peeps -

Here's a quick run-down of the Clyde Butcher Muck-A-Bout for Saturday. How's this for on-the-spot reporting?

The event is going well! There's a huge turnout despite the weather (it's raining now, but held out for most of the day) and every looks to be having a great time. Cars are lined up down Hwy 41, and tons of folks are stomping around in the swamp. Live music, good eats, great people - the Muck-A-Bout is awesome!

I'm over at Collier-Seminole State Park where it's raining, everyone is huddled in the screen room listening to the thunder and the pitter-patter of raindrops. Looks like it will rain through the night, hope it clears up for the event tomorrow.

more rain makes for better swamping!!! when the heat comes out the skeeters will rise and take you away!!

adventurousmtnlvr
08-30-2008, 23:22
Sorry about your rain but glad everyone's spirits are up :) I didn't know what this was until I looked it up on the Internet ... how totally cool!!!!!!! Haven't been in a swamp since I was in Girl Scouts centuries ago trying to see if we could make new trails for later on. Have fun!

Tha Wookie
08-31-2008, 01:36
I was there... a little late for the guided hikes but I took one of my own... beautiful place! lots of gators!:D

BumpJumper
08-31-2008, 08:21
Dang. This is one that I am going to have to plan for next year. I was too late this time and well.....wouldnt have ventured south with two hurricanes headed at us.

Tha Wookie
08-31-2008, 17:29
Dang. This is one that I am going to have to plan for next year. I was too late this time and well.....wouldnt have ventured south with two hurricanes headed at us.

Nah... it's fine.... still going on too;)

wahoo
08-31-2008, 19:55
Day 2-
Well, the weather was better today than yesterday, darn near perfect! Not too hot, not that many 'skeeters at Big Cypress Gallery, and plenty of people out enjoying the swamp walks. There were just as many folks out today as there were yesterday.
Out at Collier-Seminole, the skeeters are out in full force. You can't hand around outside, even with a healthy application of bug spray. They light on you, decide that you aren't too tasty, and assume an orbit around you about three inches from your face. Aaahhhh!
It rained so hard last night that the rainfly on out tent was completely saturated and started to mist through. Not bad though, it held up nicely for the downpour that was going on.

No swamp walkin' for me tomorrow, gotta head back north...
When I get back, I'll start putting some video together for everyone to check out.

floridahikes
09-03-2008, 22:54
Hoping I'll find the time to upload my photos and video, too. Back from a tiring but satisfying four days of swamp walking ... one day clearing trails, three days leading hikes. This weekend marked the 5th anniversary of me and my hubby meeting in Clyde Butcher's backyard at the Swamp Walks! We've been volunteering ever since. A great group there, everything went smoothly, and even though Gustav tried to throw a wet blanket on things, after the tornado warnings lifted the weather was perfect. We had 1,007 registered ... still waiting for the final number on how many we introduced to Big Cypress. Now I'm psyched for finishing Oasis to I-75 this winter!

wahoo
09-04-2008, 14:16
Hoping I'll find the time to upload my photos and video, too. Back from a tiring but satisfying four days of swamp walking ... one day clearing trails, three days leading hikes. This weekend marked the 5th anniversary of me and my hubby meeting in Clyde Butcher's backyard at the Swamp Walks! We've been volunteering ever since. A great group there, everything went smoothly, and even though Gustav tried to throw a wet blanket on things, after the tornado warnings lifted the weather was perfect. We had 1,007 registered ... still waiting for the final number on how many we introduced to Big Cypress. Now I'm psyched for finishing Oasis to I-75 this winter!

Nice meeting you at the Muck-About! Gosh, what a whirlwind Labor Day weekend!
Congrats on the 5th anniversary, that's cool!
Please let me know what the final tally is on attendees.
Yep, Gustav made for some exciting camping, Saturday night I thought we might have to abandon ship!