PDA

View Full Version : Public Transportation to Shenandoah?

buff_jeff
08-30-2008, 19:12
Hey guys, I'm going to school in Pittsburgh and I have a fall break Oct. 10-14. Shenandoah seems like the nearest place to hit for a solid hike. Does anyone know of any way to get there via public transpo, or any nice parks in the vicinity of Pittsburgh? Thanks in advance.

thestin
08-30-2008, 19:43
Marc trains and Amtrak serve the Harpers Ferry area.

Nicksaari
08-30-2008, 22:35
amtrak or busline to Ekton, Charlottesville, Waynesboro, Luray, not Sperryville. Be prepared to pay for a cab to thorton, swift run (my pick), or rockfish gap. depending on whether you're hiking north or south, the town is your choice. im sure sending a thread, contacting someone near these towns on the site sould seal a deal or a drop off pick up time. good luck, be prepared to share the shelters with lots of people. you also secure a PATC cabin. google PATC. SNP is PACKED in Oct. suggest blue blaze loops, back country sites, bears active, but docile. have fun, see you out there regretfully.

buff_jeff
08-30-2008, 22:53
Thanks for the advice, guys. I rolled through SNP this summer and it was decent but I'm pretty keen on seeing the fall foliage. I guess it'll be easier,though, to just hit Harper's Ferry and do some loops in that area. I think that's my plan, as of now.

GoldenBear
08-31-2008, 10:09
> SNP is PACKED in Oct

I made three trips to SNP in October 2006. Every campground had 80% vacancy. No shelter had more than two people other than myself. I never saw more than a few people on any of my day hikes. I was frankly shocked at how UNcrowded the park was.

The simple fact is that recorded visitation to NPS sites in 2007 is significantly lower than it was in 1987, despite significant increases in population, disposable income, and international visitation to US.
www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2008/02/national-park-visitation-debate-here-we-go-again

phishpapond
08-31-2008, 10:16
I from the Pittsburgh area. I beat my head trying to find a bus and shuttle to get me to Front Royal.
I gave up and am paying a friend to drive me down next week for my hike.
This is before I found Whiteblaze.

Sly
08-31-2008, 11:49
Forget HF and SNP come to the Gathering in WV!

NICKTHEGREEK
08-31-2008, 12:20
Hey guys, I'm going to school in Pittsburgh and I have a fall break Oct. 10-14. Shenandoah seems like the nearest place to hit for a solid hike. Does anyone know of any way to get there via public transpo, or any nice parks in the vicinity of Pittsburgh? Thanks in advance.
Go to the library at school or the Carnegie on Forbes in Oakland and check out a few local guidebooks. Western Pa has no shortage of fall color. All I know for long trails is the new route from Mckeesport to Cumberland.
There's more in the Burgh besides deer huntin and the Stillers, but it takes some looking.

buff_jeff
08-31-2008, 12:38
Forget HF and SNP come to the Gathering in WV!

Good idea! Is it that weekend?

sasquatch2014
08-31-2008, 12:53
Go to the library at school or the Carnegie on Forbes in Oakland and check out a few local guidebooks. Western Pa has no shortage of fall color. All I know for long trails is the new route from Mckeesport to Cumberland.
There's more in the Burgh besides deer huntin and the Stillers, but it takes some looking.

Yeah there's Iron City Beer and Kabalsia Sandwiches as well a six pack and a sandwich is the classic Pittsburgh 7 Course meal.

NICKTHEGREEK
08-31-2008, 13:41
Yeah there's Iron City Beer and Kabalsia Sandwiches as well a six pack and a sandwich is the classic Pittsburgh 7 Course meal.
In Pgh that's a Sammitch and a 6 ir'n. You must be from Cleveland or some other town without a Pro football team:D

Nicksaari
08-31-2008, 20:21
what is "the gathering" in West virginia????

buff_jeff
08-31-2008, 21:30
what is "the gathering" in West virginia????

I'm not familiar with specifics but it's the annual gathering of ALDHA members. The website is kind of vague. I might try and go. I'm sick of sitting in this damn city. :banana

NICKTHEGREEK
09-01-2008, 11:29
I'm not familiar with specifics but it's the annual gathering of ALDHA members. The website is kind of vague. I might try and go. I'm sick of sitting in this damn city. :banana
Which school is your mom and dad wasting their hard earned money at?

buff_jeff
09-01-2008, 12:12
Which school is your mom and dad wasting their hard earned money at?

I'm paying my own way through Pitt, boss.

NICKTHEGREEK
09-01-2008, 12:43
I'm paying my own way through Pitt, boss.
Good to hear it, it's a great school in a great town. BTW, they have hiking clubs at Pitt and Carnegie Mellon. Dive into that college experience you're paying for and check em out.