PDA

View Full Version : First backpacking trip for a three year old

Wildecoach
08-30-2008, 21:57
Hello,

I am planning my three year old son's first backpacking trip along the AT. I am looking for any advice on traveling with a toddler. We are planning to go from Washington Monument State Park to the Dahlgren backpacker campground. Besides lots of treats, toys and lovies, does anyone have any sound advice?

Thanks for any and all help.

modiyooch
08-30-2008, 22:20
Don't be in a hurry. We hiked 8 miles with three kids ages 2, 4 & 5. I can't remember exactly, but we may have camped 2 nights.

modiyooch
08-30-2008, 22:22
also, the 2 yr old walked 25%, the 4 yr old walked 75% and the 5 year old walked the whole time.

Blissful
08-30-2008, 22:30
Wow that's pretty young for full fledged backpacking - took my son on maybe a half mile at that age, if that. He was about seven when we began to take longer hikes, and they were day hikes up in Shenandoah. We did take him car camping quite a bit though at a young age, which he loved. His first backpacking trip was at age nine, I think. We did end up carrying him at age 2 when we wanted to do longer hikes, in a Tough Traveler carrier (this was in the Whites).

I might park at the road crossing at Turners Gap and just walk down to the backpacking campground and camp. That might be good for a first time out also.

modiyooch
08-30-2008, 22:42
just checked my notes. It was 14.6 miles with two nights camping. Damascus to 859. 2 year old was potty trained on the trail. I wasn't going to carry diapers in or out. Boy did we have repercussions with that when we returned to civilization.

Hammock Hanger
08-30-2008, 22:49
just checked my notes. It was 14.6 miles with two nights camping. Damascus to 859. 2 year old was potty trained on the trail. I wasn't going to carry diapers in or out. Boy did we have repercussions with that when we returned to civilization.

!-- Remember their attention spam is short. They bore with walking quickly w/o diversons and breaks.

2--Be prepared to carry a little. Only problem with that is once you start that process it is hard to get them to walk again.

3--The child should carry no more then a backpack with his little pillow, stuffed animal and a snack.

My son began hiking out with us when he was 2 1/2. By 10 he hiked the 100 mile-wilderness carrying a full pack (minus the group food and cook stuff).

Have fun, enjoy and by all means be flexible.

Wise Old Owl
08-30-2008, 22:50
Too much unless you are going to carry. Can you tone it down and play "camp' in the backyard?

modiyooch
08-30-2008, 22:56
you are right about attention span. My kids enjoyed the trails with streams.

Wildecoach
09-01-2008, 11:49
Thanks for all the wisdom! We went ahead with the trip and the lad had a fantastic time. He did halfway on the first way, then we carried him. He absolutely loved the tent and the campground. On the second day back to Washington Monument St. Park he walked over a mile before he needed more "shoulder time". It was a great experience and he absolutely loved seeing all the deer and rabbits on the trail.

Again, thanks for all the advice.

Hammock Hanger
09-01-2008, 20:00
Thanks for all the wisdom! We went ahead with the trip and the lad had a fantastic time. He did halfway on the first way, then we carried him. He absolutely loved the tent and the campground. On the second day back to Washington Monument St. Park he walked over a mile before he needed more "shoulder time". It was a great experience and he absolutely loved seeing all the deer and rabbits on the trail.

Again, thanks for all the advice.

So glad to hear he had a good time. Remember to do things in small doses and he'll learn to really love the out-of-doors.

Blissful
09-02-2008, 10:55
Glad you had a great time! A little thru hiker in the making. :)

Marta
09-02-2008, 11:24
We ran into a 3-year-old with his Dad in the Smokies this past weekend. They were out from Friday through Monday. Dad was carrying everything except a tiny kiddy backpack on the boy's back. They were clipping along pretty well, planning 3-4 miles per day. A few salient points--the weather was very nice and warm; the trail ran alongside water most of the way, which is fun for the boy; the Dad was letting the boy set the pace.

PS--The boy seemed to be having a great when we met him, three days into his trip.

Bulldawg
09-02-2008, 12:23
My kids LOVE hiking. Most of the times we go as a family, I let them choose the hike. My daughter started at age 5, my son at age 5 as well. MY daughter has done as much as 13 miles in a day. She was a tired little girl, but she did it, of her own choice. I started asking her if she wanted to stop at about mile 7 that day, but she insisted on pushing on. My son has done as much as 6 miles in a day. They are both strong hikers who usually set the pace and live by a motto they made up "Hurry up and lets go, the further ahead of Dad we get, the more we can rest waiting on him." They know not to get out of sight, but they will get way ahead when the trial is straight and I can see them.

Glad to hear you had a good trip.

The Solemates
09-03-2008, 10:52
our 13 month old has been on 5 backpacking trips since she was born.

never too early to start! :)

weary
09-03-2008, 12:36
Hello,

I am planning my three year old son's first backpacking trip along the AT. I am looking for any advice on traveling with a toddler. We are planning to go from Washington Monument State Park to the Dahlgren backpacker campground. Besides lots of treats, toys and lovies, does anyone have any sound advice?

Thanks for any and all help.
My youngest son backpacked to Chimney Pond, half way to the summit of Katahdin, at age three years, three months, along with his brother, 4, and his sister, 6.

We spent eight hours doing the 3.5 miles. He walked the whole distance, aside from a few boosts over big rocks in the trail.

Each kid carried a few token things in their backpacks, to make them part of the trip, but 90 percent of the weight was on my back. The key in my opinion is to allow kids to set their own pace.

We camped two nights at the pond and then walked out. Keep toys to a minimum. Kids find all kinds of interesting things to explore. They don't need much stuff from home.

Weary

MyName1sMud
09-04-2008, 11:29
He is gonna be hooked! I remember my first "hiking" trip