PDA

View Full Version : Hex 2 advice request

Texas Dreamer
03-10-2004, 11:17
My first (sort-of) post. I tried yesterday but must have done something wrong, I'm new to computers.
After reading a lot of gear reviews I had finally decided on the Hex 2, only to find it discontinued in favor of the Hex 3. Now I have located one, but only the shelter, not the nest. I was planning on using mostly the shelter by itself anyway, but as I will be doing a lot of summer Texas trips, the bug nest will probably be neccesary. The price on this shelter is VERY good, but if I go ahead and buy it, what are my chances of ever finding a nest? Do y'all ever see them up for sale? And what about the possibility of just hanging a piece of mesh inside, India Style? Having not actually seen the shelter yet, it's hard to imagine how this could attach, or if it would interfere with the progress of condensation on its way down the sides to the ground (one of the selling points of the hex, in my opinion). Any advice from Hex owners or others greatly appreciated.

walkon
03-10-2004, 12:08
i own and used a hex 3 on my thru hike in '03. i did not use a nest or floor, opted instead for a small tarp as a ground sheet. as far as bug netting goes, you have a couple options. if you wanted to hang some netting you could put it between the pole and the apex of the hex. there are also 3 guy points inside the shelter which are to spread the nest or you could use them for your net setup.
but...
if you stake your hex down well few bugs (not including ground crawlers) can get in as they usually congregate up high. usually.
also, if you use trekking poles, leave the golite pole at home. you can hang the hex from a tree. i used my trekking poles for setup many times. 3 velcro strips to secure the poles together as one is not quite long enough. you have to play with this a bit to get it just right, positioning the strips to provide adequate support, but my setup withstood some great storms and left me impressed.
walkon

Datto
03-10-2004, 12:30
Hex 3 Nest -- $99.00 (Link may wrap so you may have to cut and past the link to get it to work correctly)
http://mountainmiser.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?store_code=miser&screen=PROD&product_code=gol_hex3nest

Datto

Datto
03-10-2004, 12:37
Here's a link to an $89 Hex 3 nest:
http://4beartooth.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product676.html

Datto

Pabst
03-10-2004, 13:55
There is a difference in size between the Hex 2 & Hex 3. I went through the same thing about a year ago. I was told by many retailers that the 2 & 3 are the same but after contacting GoLite they told me that this isn't true. I purchased my Hex 2 from Northerm Mountain Supply in package deal; fly, floor and pole for $149.99, and evetually actulally bought my Hex 2 nest from GoLite direct for about $79 ...I believe. You need to contact Jess at Golite Customer Service. 1 (888) 546-5483 (5-GOLITE) There customer service was great and they even sent me 2 silnylon stuff sacks for no reason at all but for being a loyal customer. They will be able to explain everything you need to know and even tell you which one of there retailer has any Hex 2 products. I usally just carry the fly and floor. Its a great shelter, light weight and a palace in the wood (as far as space or Square foot). I also carried a small sponge with me. To wipe down the tent in the morning before packing it away and hitting the trail....cause it seem to condensate alot in cooler weather. If you have any questions about it.....let me know.

Golite.com (http://golite.com/)

Golite Customer Service (http://golite.com/customerservice/index.asp)

Texas Dreamer
03-11-2004, 09:32
Thanks for all the advice, but...

When I contacted the supplier by phone it turned out the one on the website had been sold, they just hadn't removed it from the site. all this worry about nothing. I guess I'll just save for the "3", although the size of the "2" really apealed to me. From what I was told, the hex 2 had been discontinued because most people were finding it too small (I guess size does matter, sorry guys!), but this wouldn't have been a problem for me, as I'm a towering 5 feet tall. if anyone hears about a "2" for sale anywhere while I'm saving, please let me know.

firefly
03-12-2004, 11:42
I have a hex 3 with the nest...I have been very disappointed with it because of the lack of space it provides. I purchased this tent to have space for 3 people or 2 people and gear. I only get this much space by using the hex without the nest and by tying off the top to a tree. Finding a good spot to pitch the hex that is located under a good branch is a little tricker than it sounds. If you use the pole you immediatly lose alot of space. 3 people will not fit and 2 people and gear do not fit well. I also live in the southeast and need the bug nest. You cannot use the bug nest without the pole because there is no way to attach the nest to the Hex. This would require adding a thru strap sewn in to the top of the Hex. Golite does not modify their products but will refer you to people who do. I am not sure I want to do that because the hex is made with special stiching that swells when wet. I worry that the tent would leak if someone altered it. If I did get a good thru strap sewn it the I am back to finding a good spot to tie it off to. So I have not decided what to do yet. I would sell it but I LOVE it ..it is very well made..has great ventilation...and handles very heavy rain.

walkon
03-12-2004, 12:04
just out of curiosity how much gear do you carry? i found the hex 3 to be enormous even with 2 people, gear, and dog, set up with trekking poles. i am also from the southeast and have not had significant bug problems. but then again, some people are a bit more fickle on matters of comfort. just a note, golite makes equipment with ultralight hikers in mind...
walkon