PDA

View Full Version : Starting May 09 with Questions

mts4602
08-30-2008, 23:21
I'm looking to start the PCT next May right after I graduate college and if I get into Law school then hiking probably all of California, if not then maybe I'll just go all the way. Unfortunately our final exam schedule goes until april 30th. I may or may not have an exam on that day. I could be done earlier, or could possibly ask to take some of my exams early, but I won't know until January. The thing is, with graduation, even though I don't have to actually go, I could possibly not be able to start until the around the 10th of May.

The reason I say this is b/c I WANT to start the trail with everyone from the Annual Zero Day kickoff party and I realize that it is likely to be a week or so before the start of May. I really like the idea of starting with a bunch of other people and making relationships early on in the hike.

With all of this writing I guess I'm really asking that if I start in May will I still be hiking with other people and have the chance to meet a lot of other thru hikers? The PCT thru hiking window is soo small that I just don't want to to miss out on the chance to start with everyone else.

One other thing. In an earlier thread, someone had suggested starting 100 miles up the trail for every week after the start of May to help with the water/heat issues. Should I maybe consider doing that?

thanks,

mts

TwoForty
08-31-2008, 23:20
It sounds like you really want to leave with the kickoff, so I won't touch on that issue.

I left on May 9th for a section hike attempt, but I bailed in Big Bear (so I didn't even see the hottest sections/weeks). There were tons of people around despite being behind the pack.

All of the water caches were full and I had lots of water info, which was nice. Not a deal breaker or anything, but just a nice perk. I never had any water issues.

The heat is definitely an issue, but it is quite manageable if you prepare for it. There are several methods you can research. Most don't involve shorting yourself of 100-200 miles.

Sly
09-01-2008, 01:01
If you're not sure of hiking the entire trail, missing any of the first 700 miles is NOT a big deal. If you happen to start from say Warner Springs, Idyllwild or Bear Bear and make it to Canada, just come back and finish up later, or in another year, when you can make the KO.

mts4602
09-02-2008, 15:57
Thanks,

I don't have to be at the kickoff. In fact I will most likely miss it. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be way behind the pack. It's good to know that I won't.

Depending on what happens, I may or may not skip ahead.

MTS