PDA

View Full Version : socks

Pickleodeon
08-31-2008, 08:14
ok, I'm a female with some blister-prone feet. (they're still recovering from a week and a half ago, 30 miles) Anyway, can anyone recommend some good socks? I'd prefer if they were women's specific, but it's not absolutely necessary. I've heard "darn tough" seem to work pretty well. My smartwools are past their backpacking prime, although they've served me well. If I pay like $20 for socks for my thruhike, obviously they wont survive the whole thing, but I want them to last me a while. Thanks for the help.

Hoop
08-31-2008, 08:29
Shoes OK?

modiyooch
08-31-2008, 08:33
I wear two pairs of socks. I have added those little white AT socks as liners to my heavier wool socks. As Hoop Rat suggested, it is probably the shoes. I think that for a long time, my shoes have been too small. I have always had excrutiating blisters until my last pair of boots.

Wilson
08-31-2008, 08:38
You might want to try wearing liners under your hiking socks.

Been doing it since 1982, was advised back then to wear the army nylon dress sock under the issued wool socks to prevent blisters.

I just bought a pair of microfiber nylon dress socks for $2.50, they work great for me. Maybe they've been around for awhile, but it was the first time I've seen them in microfiber. Smooth stuff, less friction.

DavidNH
08-31-2008, 08:40
I can't suggest a specific brand for you but I will suggest some tips to help fight blisters.

wear wool/synthetic blend socks. NO cotton!! Be sure they fit comfortably in your boot. I think it is a good idea to backpack with several pairs of socks. One to wear and one to keep dry to change into. Two pairs for weekend to several days perhaps three pairs at most on long trip.

Make sure you have good insoles in your boots (personally I like Spenco and shockblockers). the insoles that come with the boots are useless.

Keep feet dry. If necessary, stop several times during day and let feet air out. I find dry feet is critical to keeping feet comfy. If you do get a hot spot, stop and take care of it (bandage up, moleskin etc).

David

Wilson
08-31-2008, 09:08
One other thing I noticed about the microfiber, is that it clings to your skin and doesn't slip...kinda like covering your foot with thin moleskin.

Pickleodeon
08-31-2008, 11:15
thanks, I have insoles for them that I bought. And I bandage the hot spots immediately, I've used blister specific bandaids which are like an extra layer of skin, until they slide off. I've tried moleskin and duct tape and it slides off. At the suggestion of some sobos I even wrapped the duct tape all the way around my foot to avoid slippage and that just gave me blisters on the tops of my feet from the pulling on my skin. I've tried taping little round makeup sponges in there too, worked til they slid down. I'll try liners again, the coolmax blister-proof ones I have in my size bunch at the heels. I tie and re-tie my boots to keep them tight, I air out my feet when I stop for lunch. I really don't want to resort to new boots after paying $170 (on sale from $200 something) for Asolos. :(

Richard Snider
08-31-2008, 11:27
I wear Wigwam merino wool socks with my Vasque Summit GTX boots(They're an all leather Gortex GTX boot so they don't breath real well) & I've never had any problems. They're a little thicker that Smartwool to provide a little movement between the foot & boot/shoe & still protect your feet well. I also take my boots off on the lunch break to allow my socks/feet to dry which also helps.
Blisters are ofter caused by a combination of friction (boot movement against the foot & moisture (sweat) so you need to allow some breathability to reduce the moisture. I have heard of people spraying their feet with an antipersperant to reduce sweat (moisture) and reduce the likelihood of blisters.
Everyone is different though so unfortunately it may take a little experimenting to find the best combination for you.

Roots
08-31-2008, 11:34
Unfortunately everything is a hit and miss when it comes to hiking/backpacking equipment. I was in the same diliema as you. I had a pair of Asolos that tore my feet up within a mile of hiking...seriously. I even wore liners with them. I tried everything. I ended up having to get another pair--Vasque breeze GTX. I have only had one blister with them. I switched to trail runners after my section this spring and am very glad I did.

I wear Darn tough. The best I have worn. Thorlos and Smart wool are very good also, but I think the Darn Tough ones are the best, IMO. If you are going to wear boots, it is almost necessary to were liners to avoid major blister problems, IMO.

JERMM
08-31-2008, 12:06
Unfortunately everything is a hit and miss when it comes to hiking/backpacking equipment. I was in the same diliema as you. I had a pair of Asolos that tore my feet up within a mile of hiking...seriously. I even wore liners with them. I tried everything. I ended up having to get another pair--Vasque breeze GTX. I have only had one blister with them. I switched to trail runners after my section this spring and am very glad I did.

I wear Darn tough. The best I have worn. Thorlos and Smart wool are very good also, but I think the Darn Tough ones are the best, IMO. If you are going to wear boots, it is almost necessary to were liners to avoid major blister problems, IMO.

IMO, that's Darn good advice Roots. ;)

fehchet
08-31-2008, 18:55
First make sure of your boot/shoe/trail runner/etc fit. Then put on a pair of Wright peds (the double layer ones) followed by a low trail hiker sock that should be made from wool.
Should I say believe me? You should.

Montana Mac
08-31-2008, 19:03
This link was posted in another thread - some good info

http://fixingyourfeet.com/

minnesotasmith
08-31-2008, 19:33
Then, add a thin second pair of socks (like very thin nylon dress socks).

Keep your feet bare as much as possible in camp and at home.

Buy a pair of New Balance 1201 Trail Runners.

Good luck.

skinny minnie
08-31-2008, 21:40
Sell the asolo's on ebay or craigslist. It's not worth the pain.

I guess I am jumping on the band wagon as far as peer pressuring towards trail runners, but I love them. Even my 55 year old uncle who always wears boots tried them last time we went out and was happy.

Although... some people just have feet shapes that make them more prone to blisters. So I really can't predict you'll be blister free after making the switch. But it makes sense... trail runners (in my opinion) are more cushioned, flexible, and low cut than boots, so it stands to reason that they hurt your feet less. There's practically no break in period, unlike boots.

I had to try 3 different brands of trail runners before I found the brand I really loved. My feet rarely even get hot spots though. I know other people who are hard core runners and every time they get a new pair of shoes, even their tried and true favorite brand/style, they still get blisters at first. So yeah, everyone's feet are different. And definitely make sure you know your size. (generally runners size a full size up from their regualr street shoe size, and I've found this works with trail runners too)

I was reading up on Jennifer Pharr (who just broke the woman's supported AT record) and seem to remember her saying (can't remember what article, maybe in her blog?) that she realized after her first thru-hike how important socks were, and how she was planning on replacing them way more often this time around.

Obviously not everyone is going to feel this way but sometimes you need to just shell out the money. You can recoup some of it by selling off what doesn't work for you. It sucks to waste money guessing which brand and type is going to work best but really, you don't know until you try it and you actually put some mileage in. What one person loves or what sounds good in theory, just might not work for you. (I'm talking more about shoes than socks here, obviously. And if you do look into trail runners, new balance, vasque, and asics seem to make people pretty happy - I love my asics) As far as my smart wools... I have multiple pairs on rotation and I just retire them to being house socks once they become a little too beat up. And I haven't tried any other brand but keen. I'm pretty happy with the smart wool mid weight... the price sucks but occasionally you can find them on sale or use a coupon. So I just stock up then.

refreeman
08-31-2008, 22:53
Most often moisture is the root cause of the biggest blisters. Marino wool socks like smartwool can hold a lot of moisture and not bind up and remain springy. If the sock material does bind, friction and heat will soon tear at the vulerable wet skin.

So, you need to pay close attention to your feet while hiking. If they get wet change your socks, or take a break and take your socks off and air out your feet, socks and shoes. Airing out your feet helps much more than it sounds and your feet will always be greatful you took the time at the end of the day.

Cary a pair of socks just for the times your feet feel to wet or have hot spots.
Smartwool has been the best for me.
sockcompany.com has good prices as does ebay, surf and ye shall find great deals on smartwool.

adventurousmtnlvr
08-31-2008, 23:25
Hey, I'm the roller-skater that mentioned those make up pads ... you can "cut" them also and not use the entire thing. and I hope you didn't duct tape them, ouch .. medical tape then the sock should work depending on the location of the blister. They are never in a great place are they. Anyway, you said your boots may be too small? but you write like they are too big? which was is it? If they are too small ... and made say of leather ... stretching is a possibility or taking them to a shoe repair place and let them try it (they will tell your prior if it's possible as some are not and would blow out the seams). Just another thing to 'try'

Pokey2006
08-31-2008, 23:38
I tie and re-tie my boots to keep them tight, I air out my feet when I stop for lunch.

Maybe you're tying them too tight. I'm not prone to blisters, but the one time on my AT hike that I did get one, it turned out it was because my boots were too tight. I know it goes against your instinct -- I still have to force myself to retie my shoes and loosen them up sometimes -- but trust me, it could work. You DON'T want to make them as tight as you can.

Try tying your boots just a tad looser than seems comfortable for you at first, and see how that feels after walking for a couple of miles. You might be surprised.

Wags
09-01-2008, 00:52
pick have you given any thought about buying some nike socks designed for marathon runners and use them as liners? i just saw some at the local outlet

Pickleodeon
09-01-2008, 12:49
Thanks for all of the advice. My heels tend to slide around in the back on the uphills, so I try to tie the boots tight. But on the downhills, my toes hit the front of my boots, I didnt notice it hurting while hiking, I mean my feet hurt everywhere after like 10 miles, but I did get blisters on my toes, under one toenail, that I'm going to lose now because of it. I'll definitely try some different liners, and as far as trail runners, I have a pair of Vasque trail kind of sneakers. they work decently, but I figured with boots I'd have more ankle support and for longterm hiking, I thought they'd be better for not wrecking my feet, rock impact, etc. I'll try liners, other than that, I'm still not sure what I want to do about boots. Thanks everyone.

emerald
09-01-2008, 14:58
I've taken more interest in your hike preparation than I would otherwise since you are a local hiker. I always root for Berks hikers who seek to become 2000 milers. As I'm sure you know, we are soon to add another.

I'd like to see you become the next if you are serious about it. It's not something to be taken lightly. Seek the counsel of those who have been there before.

I honestly believe you need to work on finding boots that fit your feet better since that's more likely where your problem is to be found and solved. Otherwise, 2000 miles is not apt to be pleasant and may not happen at all.

Go where you can try on as many brands and styles as possible and speak with someone knowledgeable about fitting boots. You may have feet that require footwear that offers something a bit unusual.

FamilyGuy
09-01-2008, 15:41
Some great advice here. First - get boots that fit but be aware that hiking all day will swell your feet up about 1/2 a size. So you may want to size up in your boot size.

Now the fun part - I am also prone to blisters, especially around the toes. I started wearing these:

http://www.injinji.com/

Yes they look really weird but they work. No (I mean zero) blisters this season! They also seem to relax my feet somewhat. Can't argue with the success.

dessertrat
09-01-2008, 16:05
You might want to try wearing liners under your hiking socks.

Been doing it since 1982, was advised back then to wear the army nylon dress sock under the issued wool socks to prevent blisters.

Ditto. The Air Force told me that in 1990, and even in heavy combat boots, it worked. I went all the way through Basic at Lackland, in San Antonio in the late Spring/early Summer, with no blisters at all. Whenever I break the "two sock" rule on a long hike, I get blisters. Whenever I follow it, I don't.

You decide.

Frosty
09-01-2008, 16:08
ok, I'm a female with some blister-prone feet. (they're still recovering from a week and a half ago, 30 miles) Anyway, can anyone recommend some good socks? I'd prefer if they were women's specific, Not doubting that such a thing exists, but what would make socks women specific?

rubyvermonter
09-01-2008, 16:13
I like smartwool socks and they come in various thicknesses. You can get them on sale in a number of catalogues. I suggest taking your boots and socks off every time you stop for more than 15 minutes. I find that my feet sweat a lot and when they get damp, they are prone to blisters. I avoid the blisters with one pair of smartwool socks (no liner), breathable hiking boots and airing out a couple of times during the day.

Rubyvermonter

emerald
09-01-2008, 16:22
Please remove this double post. The 2nd is what I intended.

emerald
09-01-2008, 16:24
Does anyone really know what causes blisters? I expect some medical professionals have thought about such things and know the answer. Maybe we could all learn something.

JERMM
09-01-2008, 20:01
Not doubting that such a thing exists, but what would make socks women specific?

I don't know, but a higher price comes to mind.