PDA

View Full Version : Trail Effects

mtnkngxt
08-31-2008, 10:27
After seeing the broke river guide thread it made me think about the amount of time we as a society spend watching tv, "going out", and just generally wasting time.

So my question is, after your thru or in preperation for a thru, does anyone find that they seem to start to disconnect with typical amenities of "town" life?

For example I section hiked much of VA and TN last summer. I only have a year and a half of college left, and after moving into my townhouse this year I find myself not using many of the things typically available. For one I don't drink bottled water, I bought a Brita Filter and just drink that. I don't eat out, in fact typically I still cook out on my front porch with my pocket rocket. I wash dishes in the sink even though we have a dishwasher. I don't think we have ever turned on our central air, we just open the windows. My house mates have cable and tvs, but I don't have either. I use the internet for Whiteblaze and checking facebook and email only. I walk to school even though I have a bike and car. I just overall feel like society and technology has advanced so far that in many cases it is easier and more useful to do things the old fashion way.

I know it is hard to readjust to city life, but what about after you settle back in, do you stop using and relying on many of the amenities we once though common place and lost without?

MOWGLI
08-31-2008, 10:33
So my question is, after your thru or in preperation for a thru, does anyone find that they seem to start to disconnect with typical amenities of "town" life?

I can no longer go to malls. I never liked them much, but now they make me want to puke. In fact, mindless consumption disgusts me.

A thru-hike will definitely teach you the difference between needs & wants. You may also notice that a thru-hike will generally cure most gear heads. While you may find some past thru-hikers constantly focusing on fancy new gear, most who have walked a long way realize that gear has very little to do with it.

mtnkngxt
08-31-2008, 10:43
I think my gear obsession is focused around my lungs. The lighter I go the easier it is for my lungs to keep up. Working with only half of a lung makes hiking much more difficult.

OutdoorsMan
08-31-2008, 10:43
You two have made me realize that I really should do a thru or at least a long section hike. Although I don't like malls, I am definately a "gear head" and I can see that not being one would be liberating.

mtnkngxt
08-31-2008, 10:49
I'm a recovering "city kid". I have had every little amenity in life up until coming to college. Coming to a place where the biggest thing to do is go bowling or go down to see a movie in the theater with 2 screens is the most liberated I've ever felt. I threw out my TV last semester along with my playstation and got rid of my "cool car" for a station wagon that can fit my gear my bike and a canoe if I ever find one. I realized that life even before a thru hike doesn't have to be connected to a digitalized world.

wrongway_08
08-31-2008, 12:33
The less items you own, the better/easier life gets.

Its nice not to waste money on a bunch of useless crap (nick-knacks and such) that clogs up the house.

The less crap you own, the less time you spend cleaning/looking after/worry'n about stuff and the more time you have to get outdoors/hang out with family/spend time with the pets....... and so on.

Plus who wants to work extra hours to "keep up with the jones's"? Yea some of my buddies have really nice cars and a big house but they also have to work over time/worry about loosing the job/ dont have time to relaxe after getting off because the have to take care of all that crap.
I dont get what makes people want all that crap, only to have to turn down going out with friends/relaxing/being with family because they have to work because of all that junk.

Doing the thru-hike has made me even more disliking of material items, hanging out with people/ relaxing/ having the time to enjoy the outdoors and not worry about being strapped down because I am try'n to "outdo the Jones's" are what really matters.

To each their own.....

MOWGLI
08-31-2008, 12:59
Well said Wrongway.

mtnkngxt
08-31-2008, 13:14
Wrongway I'm in total agreement and good luck with the big finish.

woodsy
08-31-2008, 13:22
Getting back to basics is a liberating venture.
As a mostly retired worker and land steward(tax paying land owner)
i get much of what i need from the land...food, firewood, lumber and solitude.
What Joneses?

modiyooch
08-31-2008, 16:05
When I travel, I go light. We are a family of 5 adults. We went on a week vacation at Christmas including a 4 day cruise and still managed to travel with carryon bags only.

Montana Mac
08-31-2008, 20:04
The less items you own, the better/easier life gets.

The quickest way to get rid of a lot of that "crap" is to get divorced a few times:D

After 3 of them I am pretty much down to a few footlockers of stuff that fits into the back of my pick up. I have worked a job that supplies a place to sleep and meals. When I'm not guiding I do some of "work for stay" stuff for different people so that eats up another couple months per year. Eventually I may buy another house but right now with a planned 09 thru hike I am in no rush to get back into one.

mtnkngxt
08-31-2008, 21:20
I did the amateur thing and got rid of a fiancee and a long term girlfriend. Actually lost the girlfriend yesterday. It is amazing how at first they support your hiking, then they realize that it isn't just a faze. Then when you throw out your tv, and sell your sports car and by a station wagon, they start to guilt trip you. I got the, but what about med school speech so many times it drove me crazy. I figure if I can't find a girl who likes the outdoors as much as I do, or doesn't have a passion that is as driven as mine, theres no point in wasting both of our time.

Jason of the Woods
08-31-2008, 22:03
The quickest way to get rid of a lot of that "crap" is to get divorced a few times:D

After 3 of them I am pretty much down to a few footlockers of stuff that fits into the back of my pick up. I have worked a job that supplies a place to sleep and meals. When I'm not guiding I do some of "work for stay" stuff for different people so that eats up another couple months per year. Eventually I may buy another house but right now with a planned 09 thru hike I am in no rush to get back into one.
Isn't that the truth! I am in the middle of learning that as I type.

Lost_Soul
09-03-2008, 23:53
Sometimes money is spent on getting away from the things that are wrong in your life. Even if it's only to get away for a little bit. The true test and strength a person has is to be able to recognise that before it takes it's toll on you. To be able to free yourself of those burdens before they get the best of you. And, I definitely agree wth Wrongway. It's who you are friends with that defines the person you are. And there are idiots out there who don't realize that while there's still time to do anything about it. (some idiots learn, though)
Knowing Wrongway has turned alot around for me. And I stopped trying to please those who aren't worth being around because I felt an obligation to do so. (like some members of the family) I've taken back my life for me. Plain and simple.
When you stop learning... you stop growing... you stop living.

LIhikers
09-04-2008, 07:16
..... I figure if I can't find a girl who likes the outdoors as much as I do, or doesn't have a passion that is as driven as mine, theres no point in wasting both of our time.

You can, just keep looking until you find her.
My wife loves to hike, backpack, bicycle, canoe, and other outdoor stuff as much as I do. It makes it sooooooo much more enjoyable to be able to share that passion for the outdoors.

mtnkngxt
09-04-2008, 07:33
Thanks for all the input everyone, I feel like by just keeping my eyes and ears open on a daily basis we can all still learn. I think the sources of information you learn to rely on when there is no tv actually improves your ability to differentiate between truth and lies. As far as girls go, I know theres one out there, I was merely saying that until I find her I won't waste my time in a relationship where I'm expected to change the things I love to please the other person. Have a great day everyone.

sherrill
09-04-2008, 09:14
More than likely you'll meet that person out on the trail or the river.

NICKTHEGREEK
09-04-2008, 09:26
After seeing the broke river guide thread it made me think about the amount of time we as a society spend watching tv, "going out", and just generally wasting time.

For example I section hiked much of VA and TN last summer. I only have a year and a half of college left, and after moving into my townhouse this year I find myself not using many of the things typically available. For one I don't drink bottled water, I bought a Brita Filter and just drink that. I don't eat out, in fact typically I still cook out on my front porch with my pocket rocket. I wash dishes in the sink even though we have a dishwasher. I don't think we have ever turned on our central air, we just open the windows. My house mates have cable and tvs, but I don't have either. I use the internet for Whiteblaze and checking facebook and email only. I walk to school even though I have a bike and car. I just overall feel like society and technology has advanced so far that in many cases it is easier and more useful to do things the old fashion way.

I know it is hard to readjust to city life, but what about after you settle back in, do you stop using and relying on many of the amenities we once though common place and lost without?
Don't kid yourself as long as you shower more than 2 time a week and don't go crap in the back yard you aren't part Yeti like you think. Incidentally peeing where ever and when ever you choose is a guy thing and not a metric of how feral you are

NICKTHEGREEK
09-04-2008, 09:29
I can no longer go to malls. I never liked them much, but now they make me want to puke. In fact, mindless consumption disgusts me.

A thru-hike will definitely teach you the difference between needs & wants. You may also notice that a thru-hike will generally cure most gear heads. While you may find some past thru-hikers constantly focusing on fancy new gear, most who have walked a long way realize that gear has very little to do with it.
Does that include all you can eats or is there a finer line between materialism and gluttony

jesse
09-04-2008, 10:30
I don't think this applies to long distance hikers only. I never eat out. When I travel, I bring food from home and purchase food in super markets. I can not remember the last time I went to a mall. There is absolutly nothing need there. I don't spend a lot of time or money at REI either. I pick up a fuel cannister when I need it.

Blissful
09-04-2008, 11:38
One definitely misses the simplistic life instead of a life of things. Surrounded by electronics, house, etc, you really do miss the woods, a view, even the clouds in the sky. Which is why I want to go back again, though I will really miss my family, and yeah on occasion, a comfy bed and a/c when I am sweating to beat the band. And getting a shower when I want.

As far as eating out - I still love it like I did on the trail, but my gallbladder doesn't anymore. I mean, who can fall in love with mashed potatoes and Liptons? In fact, I couldn't eat the sutff for weeks when I got back.
But I have also liked growing veggies this summer, making different salads, etc.

Footslogger
09-04-2008, 11:50
==============================

At first I liked spending a lot of time alone ...reflecting on the experience. Wasn't a complete shut-in but found that I didn't have much patience for crowds and noise. About the only LONG LASTING difference for me is that I walk down grocery aisles and often evaluate food items in terms of their suitability for backpacking.

'Slogger

Lion King
09-04-2008, 12:06
I like to keep things simple now, but ironically, I still love Air Conditioning on a hot day.

I can handle and don’t mind being alone as much as I used to when I was a kid, but back then I was thinking of how important it was to have everyone approve of you and what you are and what you have and what you are becoming, now I could give a rats ass about what most people think because most people are mindless anyway.

I enjoy a good book, great conversation and a hearty storm.

I love stars that stretch forever and mountains that hide all sound save for the wind, the birds and the sound of a distant creek.

Yet, I still love going to movies…

I love watching people and studying their ways, yet I am annoyed at the amount of time people spend on their stupid cell phones, especially when I am trying to watch a movie in a theater…I swear, one day you’ll hear about me knocking someone out at a theater for texting through the first act.

I like other hikers, most of them anyway. Especially the ones who get past Damascus on the AT or Aqua Dulce on the PCT because by then they usually have outgrown their idiotic ways and behavior and left behind all the luggage they toss at everyone else so freely the first 100 miles or so.

Not always, but usually.

I can live out of a tent, a van, or a hotel and it doesn’t bother me at all, and still one day I hope to have a family and a house somewhere. Probably in the hills or near a trail where I can escape from the wife and kids from time to time.

Wherein I used to live in a condo near the beach in South Fl and thought it important to have such a place and to dress such a way and what have you.

None of that matters.

Life experience and sharing what life gives us is all that truly matters.

So town life has its moments, but most of them I can do without