PDA

View Full Version : The Unwashed and the Upper Crust in Connecticut

Tin Man
08-31-2008, 10:28
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/misc/logoprinter.gif (http://www.nytimes.com/)
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/ads/spacer.gifhttp://graphics8.nytimes.com/ads/fox/printerfriendly.gifhttp://graphics8.nytimes.com/ads/choke/choke_88x31.gif (http://www.nytimes.com/adx/bin/adx_click.html?type=goto&page=www.nytimes.com/printer-friendly&pos=Position1&sn2=336c557e/4f3dd5d2&sn1=f090480e/50552dd0&camp=foxsearch2008_emailtools_810906d-nyt5&ad=choke88x31&goto=http://www.foxsearchlight.com/choke/)

August 29, 2008

The Unwashed and the Upper Crust in Connecticut

By CHRISTOPHER PERCY COLLIER
ARRIVING in Kent, Conn., fresh off the Appalachian Trail, two hikers who go by the trail names Mudbug and Bones ambled for about a quarter of a mile along a country road. First they passed the well-kept athletic fields and stately brick structures of the Kent School. Then came two chocolate (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/c/chocolate/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier) shops, a trio of hulking bovine statues, a smattering of art (http://travel.nytimes.com/travel/guides/art/overview.html?inline=nyt-classifier) galleries and a series of sidewalk cafes.
Designer purses hung on racks not far from a Victorian house doubling as an antiques shop. A shiny black Porsche was parked on the street nearby. The camping supply store, when they arrived there, was selling backpacks alongside pink-and-green neckties bearing the preppy fashion design label Vineyard Vines. Mudbug carried a gray, javelin-sized walking staff fully stripped of its bark. Bones wore a light brown bandanna. His teak-stained ukulele was rolled up in a gray sleeping pad. Both sported beards and backpacks.
Like many hikers of the Appalachian Trail, Bones and Mudbug (whose names off the trail are Andrew Simpson and Tyler Geymann) hold that there are only two kinds of towns along the way: those friendly to hikers and those not. At first, they weren’t sure which side of the fence the upscale town of Kent was on.
Then the silence was broken.
“So have you seen any bears?” asked Larry Cunningham, a jovial middle-aged patron of Caralee’s restaurant who was eating brunch at an outdoor table not far from a woman wearing a shirt from Taft, another Connecticut (http://travel.nytimes.com/travel/guides/north-america/united-states/connecticut/overview.html?inline=nyt-geo) boarding school.
“Sixteen,” Mr. Geymann said casually as he adjusted a strap on his pack. “There were a lot in New Jersey (http://travel.nytimes.com/travel/guides/north-america/united-states/new-jersey/overview.html?inline=nyt-geo).”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/29/travel/escapes/29ConnHike.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=trail&st=cse&oref=slogin

ed bell
08-31-2008, 11:37
From the article:"It seems more like a place for blue blazers, penny loafers and pink shorts."
Blue-blazers don't wear no stinkin' penny loafers and pink shorts.:D

sasquatch2014
08-31-2008, 11:42
Hey Tin Man thanks for Posting this it is a good piece.

NICKTHEGREEK
08-31-2008, 11:52
My kind of town

Nearly Normal
08-31-2008, 17:05
From the article:"It seems more like a place for blue blazers, penny loafers and pink shorts."

Yep,
Blue blazers find the best least traveled spots where the scaredy-cats don't go.

Lone Wolf
08-31-2008, 20:21
i've been goin' thru kent since 86. the only thing that sucks about the town is the uptight hikers that visit there. the locals are great

skinny minnie
08-31-2008, 20:50
i've been goin' thru kent since 86. the only thing that sucks about the town is the uptight hikers that visit there...

Uh, and the cost of ice cream. I seem to recall it being a bit steep for two scoops. Upper crust pricing, perhaps...

Good article though. And Kent and the surrounding area is very pretty.

Lone Wolf
08-31-2008, 20:52
Uh, and the cost of ice cream. I seem to recall it being a bit steep for two scoops. Upper crust pricing, perhaps...

Good article though. And Kent and the surrounding area is very pretty.

bfd. you're hikin'. eat it or don't

skinny minnie
08-31-2008, 21:04
bfd. you're hikin'. eat it or don't

yeah, yeah. :)

I'll bite my tongue next time. Can't really whine about how poor I am when I'm shelling out 5 bucks for coffee or ice cream. Cause if I really was, I wouldn't be buying it...

You win LW.

Grampie
09-01-2008, 10:09
Chris Collier is right to a certain extent when he said, "there are two types of towns along the AT."
I find that what the difference is mainly in the owners of town establishments. Those who need the income that hikers provide and those who don't need the income from hikers.
Most of the folks who live in these towns are great.:-?

minnesotasmith
09-01-2008, 11:27
i've been goin' thru kent since 86. the only thing that sucks about the town is the uptight hikers that visit there. the locals are great

-no hostel

-no supermarket

-no AYCE

-no place to get non-WIFI online access

-no good large general discount store

-no dollar store

Other than that, it's a first-rate trail town with everything. :rolleyes:

Tin Man
09-01-2008, 11:31
there is a supermarket, Davis IGA

what happened? they didn't let you in?

the rest is luxuries for hikers. resupply, pay CT rates to stay/eat or not, then leave
no town has an obligation to cater to hikers on a budget

MOWGLI
09-01-2008, 11:33
A Dollar Store in Kent. Now THAT'S funny. :D

I really enjoyed a Sunday AM in Kent. I bought a newspaper, baked goods and coffee, and lounged around for a couple hours. It was just what I needed, and close enough to the trail that I walked both ways.

minnesotasmith
09-01-2008, 12:07
there is a supermarket, Davis IGA

I didn't personally have a need to stop there either time I was there, making arrangements for resupply elsewhere.

RITBlake
09-01-2008, 12:23
-no hostel

-no supermarket

-no AYCE

-no place to get non-WIFI online access

-no good large general discount store

-no dollar store

Other than that, it's a first-rate trail town with everything. :rolleyes:

A town has no obligation to be a great trail town. The town came first then the trail. God forbid a town doesn't cater to your every need. You could always......walk past the town!!!!!!!!!!

MOWGLI
09-01-2008, 12:28
I didn't personally have a need to stop there either time I was there, making arrangements for resupply elsewhere.

I hear they carry Cuddlefish in Salisbury. :rolleyes:

Montana Mac
09-01-2008, 12:30
Actually Davis IGA is a fairly well stocked market with a good deli department for having sandwiches made.

Before the trail relo Monroe's Store in Cornwall Bridge was another good re-supply place. The best part of Cornwall Bridge was that the liquor store would give a free cold beer (hiker's choice) to thru hikers. Since the relo further up Rt 4 I don't know if this practice is still done.

Both Cornwall and Kent and northwestern Conn in general have experienced a large influx of NYC residents for weekend homes and retirement homes.

I grew up in Cornwall when it was still a "rural farm town" and land prices were reasonable. There use to be at least of half of dozen dairy farms in Cornwall.

Tilly
09-01-2008, 13:43
I liked walking through Kent. The IGA has everything you need. It's not a discount store, but the prices are in line. The green is nice. The Pizza Garden is a good place to eat and get a beer.

I really like walking through all the different towns on the trail. I like it when they are a little different, too. "Upper-crusty" "tourist" "blue collar" or whatever. It's interesting & fun for me.

Grampie
09-01-2008, 14:26
The problem is: Kent is not a trail town. It's a town on the trail.:rolleyes:

RITBlake
09-01-2008, 14:30
The problem is: Kent is not a trail town. It's a town on the trail.:rolleyes:

Nothing wrong w/ that.

Why rent hostel space to hikers for 10 dollars a night when other people will stay at your B&B for $300 a night. You'd be an idiot to open a hostel in Kent.

Towns have no obligation to cater to hikers. Get over it.

max patch
09-01-2008, 14:48
Thrus used to be able to tent in the grassy area behind the post office. I don't know when or, most importantly, why, this option no longer exists.

Within walking distance was a laundromat, an italian restaurant that made a decent pie, and an outfitter.

And if you didn't mind spending a few bucks, there was a pretty good restaurant that made me some pretty good french toast and a great cup of coffee.

Had everything I needed in a trail town.

minnesotasmith
09-01-2008, 15:38
Thrus used to be able to tent in the grassy area behind the post office. I don't know when or, most importantly, why, this option no longer exists.

Within walking distance was a laundromat, an italian restaurant that made a decent pie, and an outfitter.

And if you didn't mind spending a few bucks, there was a pretty good restaurant that made me some pretty good french toast and a great cup of coffee.

Had everything I needed in a trail town.

Except a shower once in a while would be nice. ;)

max patch
09-01-2008, 15:43

Good point; kinda forgot about that.

So Kent had ALMOST everything I needed...

Route Step
09-01-2008, 18:49
Kent. I walked in, bought what I needed and walked out. I never looked back, didn't give it a thought. I'm pretty sure the locals never looked forwarded, didn't gave me a thought.

sasquatch2014
09-01-2008, 20:15

Plan next time you can shower in Pawling NoBo or Falls Village SoBo that way when you get to Kent your still almost fresh.

Turtle2
09-01-2008, 23:00
Hey Guys,

Last summer (07) a bunch of us tented at the church yard and took showers in the education building. The catch was we couldn't tent until the kids were out of school (day care?) after 2 pm then we needed to be gone some what early. The Kent Market was great for a $5 breakfast and our 2 scoop ice cream was less than $3.00.

One of my favorite towns! Friendly people, good food.

jzakhar
09-01-2008, 23:28
Hey Guys,

Last summer (07) a bunch of us tented at the church yard and took showers in the education building. The catch was we couldn't tent until the kids were out of school (day care?) after 2 pm then we needed to be gone some what early. The Kent Market was great for a $5 breakfast and our 2 scoop ice cream was less than $3.00.

One of my favorite towns! Friendly people, good food.

Church didnt allow tenting anymore last time I was in Kent.. Too many problems..

Heater
09-02-2008, 01:53
I hear they carry Cuddlefish in Salisbury. :rolleyes:

...and pâté for any "liver lovers" out there.

Jason of the Woods
09-02-2008, 10:09
Nothing wrong w/ that.

Why rent hostel space to hikers for 10 dollars a night when other people will stay at your B&B for $300 a night. You'd be an idiot to open a hostel in Kent.

Towns have no obligation to cater to hikers. Get over it.
It sort of sounds to me like they need a hostel and maybe a true outfitter.?

seaside
09-02-2008, 10:23

I thought you were walking the AT, not on a Grayline tour of New England.

middle to middle
09-02-2008, 11:16
I revel in being trail grungy and smelly and enjoy the townies stares. This is a great escape from conformity.

Heater
09-02-2008, 11:28
I washed my asscrack today and found a half a sourdough breakfast sandwich with the image if the Virgin Mary scorched in the side.
Musta sat on it sometime last night. I don't remember. :confused:

It's going on E-Bay. :)

weary
09-02-2008, 16:32
The reference is not too clear, but I suspect the writer may have been thinking of blue sports jackets, not trails, when he mentioned blue blazers.

Weary

Footslogger
09-02-2008, 16:39
Folks in Kent couldn't have been more hospitable to me when I hit town on my 2003 thru. Things in New England tend to cost more. I knew that before I got there so no big surprise.

As for the IGA ...they had everything I needed in terms of re-supply plus a fantastic deli that made huge sandwiches to order. Carried 2 of those suckers out of town the morning I left and thoroughly enjoyed them as I made my way further north.

'Slogger

ed bell
09-02-2008, 16:47
The reference is not too clear, but I suspect the writer may have been thinking of blue sports jackets, not trails, when he mentioned blue blazers.

Weary:DGotcha;)

minnesotasmith
09-02-2008, 19:15
I thought you were walking the AT, not on a Grayline tour of New England.

That if he were serious about thruhiking without EVER showering, would be barred from entering 100% of grocery stores, post offices, and outfitters after about a month or so. How would you figure on resupplying, given those limitations? Dumpster dive? Steal? Do tell.

Jack Tarlin
09-02-2008, 19:28
Max:

Regarding your query above (Post #21), the reason that hikers are no longer welcome to overnight by the Post office or the park adjacent to it is the same reason that hikers will probably not be able to camp by the soccer field in Hanover for much longer: Inconsiderate idiots are ****ing it up for other hikers by partying, lighting fires, leaving garbage, disturbing townspeople, etc. The people of Kent aren't un-friendly. They are simply tired of inconsiderate a******* that don't give a damn about where they are, who lives nearby, as well as caring not a damn about their fellow hikers or who might be arriving in town needing services after they've left a place and burned it out for other hikers. From what I've witnessed just this past week and a half in Hanover, well to be perfectly honest, I can understand why lots of these folks wouldn't have been too welcome in Kent. Or anywhere else, for that matter.

Lion King
09-02-2008, 19:43
They give you a free beer, have a hiker breakfast that is a good price at the bakery and the bar has great Karoke night and resonable priced beer for New England.

There are no signs saying "Stop here if you are an *******"

Appalachian Tater
09-02-2008, 22:49
From what I've witnessed just this past week and a half in Hanover, Pray tell: these stories are fascinating, from wrecking hostels to ****ing in swimming pools or ****ing in library chairs, they never cease to amaze.

Was someone eating from the bulk bins in the co-op with a spork? Taking a sitz bath in the bathroom sink at the North Face? Camping in a dormitory closed for construction? Getting drunk and skipping out on the bill? Stealing coins from the ASPCA jar at the drugstore?

Jack Tarlin
09-03-2008, 11:43
Actually Tater, some of them were camping illegally; some were illegally overnighting in the Outing Club building; some were drinking on the Town Green; some were caught trespassing in a dorm where they were trying to do laundry; some were caught sneaking extra people into their motel room; some brought their own booze into a bar; some were turned down from buying beer at a local store as it was obvious they were already inebriated in the midle of the afternoon; and some completely trashed out the one place anywhere near the center of town where it's OK for hikers to camp.

Glad you think this sort of thing is so funny, Tater.

Mags
09-03-2008, 15:26
I liked walking through Kent.

It is what I call a "hit and run" town. Walk in early, get some chores done (resupply, gear, whatever), eat some good town food and head out later in the day. Or earlier.

IIRC, there is a shelter just outside of town as well, so it is a perfect in-and-out town.

Tin Man
09-03-2008, 15:39
It is what I call a "hit and run" town. Walk in early, get some chores done (resupply, gear, whatever), eat some good town food and head out later in the day. Or earlier.

IIRC, there is a shelter just outside of town as well, so it is a perfect in-and-out town.

Lots of camping choices nearby...here are a few...

Mt. Algo shelter is 0.3 miles south of RT341 (Road into Kent)

Schaghticooke Campsite is 7 miles south of RT341
Stewart Hollow Brook Lean-to is 7 miles north of RT341

MOWGLI
09-03-2008, 16:38
Actually Tater, some of them were camping illegally; some were illegally overnighting in the Outing Club building; some were drinking on the Town Green; some were caught trespassing in a dorm where they were trying to do laundry; some were caught sneaking extra people into their motel room; some brought their own booze into a bar; some were turned down from buying beer at a local store as it was obvious they were already inebriated in the midle of the afternoon; and some completely trashed out the one place anywhere near the center of town where it's OK for hikers to camp.

It sounds to me from this description, that things are out of control. In 2000, I found that it was a very small minority that caused issues like jack is describing above. It seems to me that problems along the trail have gotten significantly worse over the years. Damn shame really. Killing the goose that laid the golden egg. :(

Jack Tarlin
09-03-2008, 17:09
No, Mowgli, I wouldn't say things are out of control. Are there more problems than there used to be? Yes, but we're still talking about a small number of people creating a dis-proportionate ammount of the problems. And this isn't just a Trail problem, either. It's society-wide. I'm sitting here in the Hanover Public Library right now and the behavior of the young people is appalling, in terms of noise, language, dis-respect to the staff and other patrons, etc. And remember, these are privileged, apparently well-brought up kids. What we're seeing here is a generation of children who spend more time on the Internet, texting, or playing video games than they do reading; what we're seeing is a generation of kids who've been esssentially ignored by their parents and have no positive role models; what we're seeing is kids raised in a society that bestows legitimacy and respect upon entertainers and celebrities whose popularity depends on the foulness of their speech or the number of their arrests; what we're seeing is kids who attend schools where discipline doesn't exist anymore because the powers that be that run our schools are afraid that telling a child "No!" interferes with his growth and creativity. In short, Mowgli, this problem is systemic, it exists across all aspects of our society, and it's not limited to the Trail. If larger numbers of younger people are behaving badly on the Trail (and elsewhere), and if we've raised a generation of rude, inconsiderate, foul-mouthed little monsters, we have nobody to blame but ourselves. There has been a general coarsening of American society for years now, and it is no surprise whatsoever to see an increase of uncivil, inconsiderate, and unpleasant behavior as a result. And unfortunately, this includes on the Trail as well.

sasquatch2014
09-03-2008, 17:12
We avoid a lot of these problems in Pawling by telling all the hikers how great Kent is. :D

NICKTHEGREEK
09-03-2008, 17:12

Drinking on the town green??? Booze??? Beer??? Obviously inebriated in mid afternoon??? How horrid! I can see why your sensibilities are so offended. Please don't tell me they were smoking too.

rafe
09-03-2008, 17:47
There has been a general coarsening of American society for years now, and it is no surprise whatsoever to see an increase of uncivil, inconsiderate, and unpleasant behavior as a result.

Coming from you, Jack, that's pretty funny.

Tin Man
09-03-2008, 17:56

As usual, you can't tell the good guys from the bad guys. :rolleyes:

Mags
09-03-2008, 18:12
Lots of camping choices nearby...here are a few...

Mt. Algo shelter is 0.3 miles south of RT341 (Road into Kent)

Schaghticooke Campsite is 7 miles south of RT341
Stewart Hollow Brook Lean-to is 7 miles north of RT341

Perfect! Camp outside at 7 miles, grab, go to 7 miles out of town.

Or go in .3 miles, go out 7.

Or hike in 7 and hike out .3 if going SoBo.

Perfect setup all around for "grab and go" (another good term. ;) )

Tin Man
09-03-2008, 18:27
Perfect! Camp outside at 7 miles, grab, go to 7 miles out of town.

Or go in .3 miles, go out 7.

Or hike in 7 and hike out .3 if going SoBo.

Perfect setup all around for "grab and go" (another good term. ;) )

LOL

And there are a few other options for the longer distance hiker.

NICKTHEGREEK
09-03-2008, 18:35
Just got back from the ER after reading that one. Totally fragged my funny bone

Nearly Normal
09-03-2008, 19:37
No, Mowgli, I wouldn't say things are out of control. Are there more problems than there used to be? Yes, but we're still talking about a small number of people creating a dis-proportionate ammount of the problems. And this isn't just a Trail problem, either. It's society-wide. I'm sitting here in the Hanover Public Library right now and the behavior of the young people is appalling, in terms of noise, language, dis-respect to the staff and other patrons, etc. And remember, these are privileged, apparently well-brought up kids. What we're seeing here is a generation of children who spend more time on the Internet, texting, or playing video games than they do reading; what we're seeing is a generation of kids who've been esssentially ignored by their parents and have no positive role models; what we're seeing is kids raised in a society that bestows legitimacy and respect upon entertainers and celebrities whose popularity depends on the foulness of their speech or the number of their arrests; what we're seeing is kids who attend schools where discipline doesn't exist anymore because the powers that be that run our schools are afraid that telling a child "No!" interferes with his growth and creativity. In short, Mowgli, this problem is systemic, it exists across all aspects of our society, and it's not limited to the Trail. If larger numbers of younger people are behaving badly on the Trail (and elsewhere), and if we've raised a generation of rude, inconsiderate, foul-mouthed little monsters, we have nobody to blame but ourselves. There has been a general coarsening of American society for years now, and it is no surprise whatsoever to see an increase of uncivil, inconsiderate, and unpleasant behavior as a result. And unfortunately, this includes on the Trail as well.

No authority in town?
I believe I'd ask them politely to move on, the first time.
After that there ain't any polite. Either hit the road or....
Mommy will have to send bail money. Which will it be?
Do something or quit sniveling.

minnesotasmith
09-03-2008, 19:41

No less true.

Jack Tarlin
09-04-2008, 16:17
Nearly Normal:

I see from your post that when it comes to thru-hiking, you say "Not yet."

If you had spent much time on the Trail, I doubt you'd be so cavalier about folks who mess things up for other hikers.

Oh, and the authorities ARE doing something about the problems. The Dartmouth campus and their Security Office are now decidedly unfriendly to hikers; the Police Department is not as tolerant as it once was, and a place where hikers have been able to camp for free is probably about to close.

If and when you ever get here, bring a couple hundred extra bucks for a motel, as you'll likely need it.

Nearly Normal
09-04-2008, 18:05
Nearly Normal:

If you had spent much time on the Trail, I doubt you'd be so cavalier about folks who mess things up for other hikers.

Oh, and the authorities ARE doing something about the problems. The Dartmouth campus and their Security Office are now decidedly unfriendly to hikers; the Police Department is not as tolerant as it once was, and a place where hikers have been able to camp for free is probably about to close.

If and when you ever get here, bring a couple hundred extra bucks for a motel, as you'll likely need it.

I can see no excuse for poor behavior. Those "thru-hikers" should not be excused because they are thru-hikers. The rest of us including ME who may thru hike one day do not deserve the forced reputation because a few can't act civil.
Perhaps you should read my post again.
The attitude you inject in your post suggest whinning. Perhaps had the authority not been "as it once was" your present problem would not exist.
Citizens such as yourself do not have to tolerate bad behavior. You might try calling someone down on it. People will usually respond knowing they are acting like fools.
I don't have the miles you have Jack, and for my not having yet thru hiked, you can certainly fling it out there, if it makes you big shot.
You certainly seem omnipotent lately.

TD55
09-04-2008, 20:29
Kent has been an in and out town for at least 40 years. I am sure about that. It's a great little town just a short walk from the trail. Nice place to go river swimming or starlight bathing too. So whats the problem, the locals don't appreciate obnoxious, crude, rude drunkards committing various minor crimes like theft and trepassing?

Kirby
09-04-2008, 21:26
Besides the lady who was some what rude to me at the grocery store, Kent was OK. The food store was priced as I expected, a tad bit above typical pride trends for the time. No hitch required.

Not that you would get one anyway.

Kirby

Tin Man
09-04-2008, 23:15
Nearly Normal:

No need to stay in town, Velvet Rocks Shelter is an easy 1.5 miles north. It's a new shelter located in a nice spot. Hopefully, it has not been abused since I was there 2 years ago.

Jack Tarlin
09-05-2008, 12:05
Nearly Normal:

What a kind and thoughtful post!

Um, hate to point it out to you, but no, people out here generally DON'T alter their poor behavior, even when someone points it out to them. So when ou said that people generally respond when someone points out that they're acting like fools....well, no, they don't.

You'll understand this when you've been on the Trail for a bit.

And no, I don't think I'm a big shot or omnipotent. Far from it. I'm like anyone else....sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm not. However, I do think (imagine that!) that folks that have actually been out here a bit might actually have a bit more credibility when talking about Trail matters than folks who haven't. If this simple fact makes you feel somewhat inadequate or defensive, there's a simple remedy: Hike more, post less, and then tell us what you found out.

sasquatch2014
09-05-2008, 12:39
Well I am glad to see that once again we are able to swing from a story about one town in one state to problems in a different town and state. Maybe the issues in Hanover would be better addressed in its own thread.

sheepdog
09-05-2008, 13:01
Citizens such as yourself do not have to tolerate bad behavior. You might try calling someone down on it. People will usually respond knowing they are acting like fools.
Obviously you have never watched "Cops".:D:D:D

Tin Man
09-05-2008, 13:52
Well I am glad to see that once again we are able to swing from a story about one town in one state to problems in a different town and state. Maybe the issues in Hanover would be better addressed in its own thread.

I might agree with that if it was different folks causing the problems, but I think the problems move with the thru-hikers. Us section hikers have more appreciation for the trail and trail towns and likely are less of a problem. :)

rafe
09-05-2008, 14:44
I might agree with that if it was different folks causing the problems, but I think the problems move with the thru-hikers. Us section hikers have more appreciation for the trail and trail towns and likely are less of a problem. :)

More to the point, section hikers tend to be older and more mature, with more cash on hand and thus less of a need for hostels and cheap/free lodging, handouts, etc. Plus, they don't generally travel in bands as do thru hikers. As for the "more appreciation" part... yeah sure, whatever.

Tin Man
09-05-2008, 15:08
As for the "more appreciation" part... yeah sure, whatever.

Let's talk about appreciation. I would appreciate it if you would stay off my thread. :)

Appalachian Tater
09-05-2008, 15:16
Glad you think this sort of thing is so funny, Tater.What in the world makes you think I think it's funny? I've made my thoughts about this sort of poor behavior very clear, consistently and repeatedly, in various threads. Fascinated & amazed does NOT equal thinking it's funny. It's disgusting.

I was pretty close on some of my guesses about the exact nature of the poor behavior in Hanover. I'm a little surprised no one's gotten arrested for diving off the bridge or some sort of petty theft in that town.

rafe
09-05-2008, 15:31
Let's talk about appreciation. I would appreciate it if you would stay off my thread. :)

Your thread? You're joking, right?

wilconow
09-05-2008, 15:37
Back to on-topic posts or this gets locked. Take the arguments to PM

Tin Man
09-05-2008, 16:36
Back to on-topic posts or this gets locked. Take the arguments to PM

Good idea. As the OP, I request the thread be closed or I may have to go off topic with passion.

p.s. PM's, especially those crying to the mods, is ridiculous. :)

TD55
09-05-2008, 17:12
Wow, I'm new here. Sorry if I'm out of line, bu... Seems like this was a thread about hiker conduct and behavior, something very much needed. We have towns getting fed up with hikers and taking action to show it. Instead of running with the thread and exploring some possible solutions, the thread is turning into some kind of control and power trip. What a shame, but, I'm not a thru hiker, never been, never wanted to be, never gonna be. I'm just a guy thats been hiking sectons of the AT for 45 years.

Jack Tarlin
09-05-2008, 17:12
This is actually a pretty useful thread with some thoughtful comments. I hope it stays open for a bit.

Sly
09-05-2008, 17:53
Good idea. As the OP, I request the thread be closed or I may have to go off topic with passion.

p.s. PM's, especially those crying to the mods, is ridiculous. :)

Just because you start a thread doesn't mean you own it, or can close it at will, unless it's in straight forward or gear sales. You can request that it's closed, but unless it's a complete FUBAR, I wouldn't count on it.

Tin Man
09-05-2008, 17:56
Wow, I'm new here. Sorry if I'm out of line, bu... Seems like this was a thread about hiker conduct and behavior, something very much needed. We have towns getting fed up with hikers and taking action to show it. Instead of running with the thread and exploring some possible solutions, the thread is turning into some kind of control and power trip. What a shame, but, I'm not a thru hiker, never been, never wanted to be, never gonna be. I'm just a guy thats been hiking sectons of the AT for 45 years.

There really are no solutions to the problem hikers other than point it out when it is witnessed and hope others pick up on it and say something the next time they are a witness.

p.s. I spent my childhood going to the beaches in and around Rehoboth. Welcome to White Blaze! :sun

Tin Man
09-05-2008, 17:58
Just because you start a thread doesn't mean you own it, or can close it at will, unless it's in straight forward or gear sales. You can request that it's closed, but unless it's a complete FUBAR, I wouldn't count on it.

yeah, yeah ... I know ... my apologies to our wonderful mods :)

maybe I will think twice before starting a thread bound to stir folks up... or maybe not. ;)

Nearly Normal
09-06-2008, 03:15
Nearly Normal:

What a kind and thoughtful post!

Um, hate to point it out to you, but no, people out here generally DON'T alter their poor behavior, even when someone points it out to them. So when ou said that people generally respond when someone points out that they're acting like fools....well, no, they don't.

You'll understand this when you've been on the Trail for a bit.

And no, I don't think I'm a big shot or omnipotent. Far from it. I'm like anyone else....sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm not. However, I do think (imagine that!) that folks that have actually been out here a bit might actually have a bit more credibility when talking about Trail matters than folks who haven't. If this simple fact makes you feel somewhat inadequate or defensive, there's a simple remedy: Hike more, post less, and then tell us what you found out.

I hope I never find the bleak conditions you discribe. It would make me think twice about a thru hike.
I will continue sectioning until retirement and hope to continue finding the good that has been my experience.
Good luck to you.

minnesotasmith
09-06-2008, 09:43
I hope I never find the bleak conditions you discribe.

I wouldn't hike south of Pearisburg when there was any chance of encountering part of the main NOBO thruhiker bubble. (The rather-party-than-hike types, undisciplined dogbringers, broke leeches, etc., are mostly off the Trail north of there and in other seasons.)

yaduck9
09-06-2008, 12:22
From reading this thread I have picked up a couple of "facts" ;

There is a problem with bad behavior from hikers in towns.

It is getting signifigantly worse,as reported by a certain trail authourity .

Most of the problems surround the "bubble" of hikers that thru hike every year.

So perhaps steps need to be taken to discourage the creation of the "bubble".

Perhaps trail towns need to stop the practice of large food fests ( with the availibility of alcohol ) for thru hikers which concentrate hikers into large groups, forcing them to mingle, and bond together, thus creating the "bubble" ?

Disbanding these food fest will also prevent certain trail personalities from exhibiting there oversized ego's and thus preventing them from infecting the "bubble". ;)

What do you folks think, lets start a poll! :dance

( TM, how was that for stirring the pot? :D )

Tin Man
09-06-2008, 12:41
LOL

The bubble is partly start date driven and partly feed driven. I know the March/April start date window cannot be changed and I doubt the feeds can be changed either. One town can make it difficult to hold a feed and it will just move to another town or someone's private property. People love holding feeds and the bubble party appears to love them so they will always find a way.

It goes back to Jack's points on today's younger generation. A few values could go a long way to curbing the abuses. Value building starts at home. Its the parents who are at fault!* ;)

* Being a parent of teenagers, I can say this. I have seen good parenting and bad parenting. And even with good parenting, kids will be kids. Its very hard today with the non-stop garbage in tv, music, internet, etc.

rafe
09-06-2008, 12:44
Perhaps trail towns need to stop the practice of large food fests ( with the availibility of alcohol ) for thru hikers which concentrate hikers into large groups, forcing them to mingle, and bond together, thus creating the "bubble" ?

This thread started out concerning Kent, CT. The "problem" in Kent has nothing to do with food fests. In fact, the only trail town that I know of that meshes with your scenario would be Damascus, Virginia (with its long-standing Trail Days celebration.)

No thru-hiker is "forced" to mingle or bond. But you know, these things happen. The "spring break" tradition -- college aged kids going crazy -- is centuries old, and nobody should be surprised that a version of this tradition has developed on the AT.

Why is there a bubble? It's mostly because of the time required to thru-hike the trail, and the weather and climate. It's easy enough to avoid the bubble if one desires -- hike SOBO, or section hike, or filp-flop. The fact remains that lots of hikers prefer to travel in groups.

yaduck9
09-06-2008, 13:07
Well I got two out of three to respond and they both disagree with me! Perhaps its true opposites do attract!

I would continue with my satiracle response, but i am afraid it would only encourage rancor. And that is the opposite of my goals.

The only thing I would point out is that good individuals tend to behave badly in groups rather then as individuals. Bad individuals behave badly all the time.

Jack Tarlin
09-06-2008, 13:18
Well, actually your post wasn't merely satirical, and in fact, it would better be described as sort of snotty.

Yes, in towns, alcohol is available. Believe it or not, hikers actually figure this fact out for themselves, whether or not there is a feed or special event going on.

Also, as to your "oversized ego" comment, well I'm not sure I know what events you're referring to. The last big hiker "food fest" event I attended was in Duncannon on the 4th of July, and the only well-known people in the Trail community who attended that weekend spent around 72 consecutive hours preparing meals, serving them, and cleaning up after folks. Not a whole lotta time there for oversized egos.

Also, have you ever hiked much? This might come as news to you, but on the Trail nobody is "forced" to mingle. People pretty much go to wherever place they wish, they stay as long as they wish, they leave whenever they wish, they tend whatever events they wish.

That pretty much covers it. Yaduck, you're not "stirring the pot" here. What you're doing is simply trolling, which by most definitions, means saying things that you think will be provocative or will rile people up.

Um, no. Nobody's riled up. You see, you haven't posted here or been around here much. Most folks here rcognize troll behavior for what it is, and they generally ignore it. See ya.

yaduck9
09-06-2008, 13:41
I apologise if I have behaved in a troll like way.

It was my intent to infuse some wry wit into the discussion. Please accept my heartfelt apology.

I was going to go on and talk about the "bubble crisis" but it would have been "over the top"

"I always delight in discovering the contradictions between what folks say and what they do" Mark Twain ( or so it is alleged ).

Jack Tarlin
09-06-2008, 13:48
Yaduck: In truth, I don't think this has anything to do with bubbles or a "bubble crisis."

People that are disposed to act like jerks will do it if they're with three other people; they'll do it if they're with thirty-three other people.

At the hiker event I just mentioned this past 4 July, there were NO problems whatsoever, despite the presence of dozens and dozens of hikers. Likewise, the recent Rutland Long Trail Festival, which attracted dozens of this year's thru-hikers, had absolutely NO problems. The fact that groups of hikers might congregate together or clump up in towns forming "bubbles" does not necessarily mean there will be problems. Most hiker events, including large feeds, report no problems at all. You're right that alcohol is often a factor, which is why at the larger feeds my friends and I throw, we don't serve or supply it, tho what adults do on their own time and with their own money is up to them.

But as to "bubbles" of hikers being responsible for today's problems, I have to respectfully disagree with you. Most of the idiots I've seen on the Trail were perfectly capable of being idiots all on their lonesome......no crowd or bubble was required.

yaduck9
09-06-2008, 14:13
Again Jack, My apologies if I have hurt your feelings.

yaduck9
09-06-2008, 14:56
Yaduck: In truth, I don't think this has anything to do with bubbles or a "bubble crisis."

People that are disposed to act like jerks will do it if they're with three other people; they'll do it if they're with thirty-three other people.

At the hiker event I just mentioned this past 4 July, there were NO problems whatsoever, despite the presence of dozens and dozens of hikers. Likewise, the recent Rutland Long Trail Festival, which attracted dozens of this year's thru-hikers, had absolutely NO problems. The fact that groups of hikers might congregate together or clump up in towns forming "bubbles" does not necessarily mean there will be problems. Most hiker events, including large feeds, report no problems at all. You're right that alcohol is often a factor, which is why at the larger feeds my friends and I throw, we don't serve or supply it, tho what adults do on their own time and with their own money is up to them.

But as to "bubbles" of hikers being responsible for today's problems, I have to respectfully disagree with you. Most of the idiots I've seen on the Trail were perfectly capable of being idiots all on their lonesome......no crowd or bubble was required.

The only thing I would point out is that good individuals tend to behave badly in groups rather then as individuals. Bad individuals behave badly all the time.[/quote]

Well Jack, at least we can agree that bad individuals behave badly all the time, and I suppose that is a start. see ya.

Mags
09-06-2008, 15:14
But you know, these things happen. The "spring break" tradition -- college aged kids going crazy -- is centuries old, and nobody should be surprised that a version of this tradition has developed on the AT.

Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyrannize their teachers.
Socrates (http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Socrates/)

:D

I also have a vague recollection from a Renaissance history class I took where a father wrote a letter to his son. The father took his son to task for spending too much time carousing (partying!) and not enough time on his studies.

The more things change...

weary
09-07-2008, 01:23
Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyrannize their teachers.
Socrates (http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Socrates/)

:D

I also have a vague recollection from a Renaissance history class I took where a father wrote a letter to his son. The father took his son to task for spending too much time carousing (partying!) and not enough time on his studies.

The more things change...

i.e. Humans still act like humans.

Montana Mac
09-07-2008, 11:18
Just wondering - is Kent still around:-? -

this thread certainly has left Kent:eek:

Tin Man
09-07-2008, 11:31
Just wondering - is Kent still around:-? -

this thread certainly has left Kent:eek:

Kent is around, but route 7 may be underwater after all the rain last night. If it is, it should dry up quickly.