PDA

View Full Version : New here

Trailbender
08-31-2008, 19:08
I will be hiking the Appalachian trail summer 2009. Unfortunately, I can't do a thru-hike this time, as I only have 3 months in between semesters. I have always loved the woods, played in them constantly as a kid. I hike at several state parks around here, small hikes of 12 miles or so for now. I am building myself up for this, any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

BookBurner
08-31-2008, 19:15
In terms of conditioning, keep walking. Nothing gets you in better shape for hiking than hiking. Regarding gear, do some research into lightweight equipment and figure out what your comfortable with. Lighter loads spare the body and increase the enjoyment. Good luck and welcome!

Trailbender
08-31-2008, 19:30
In terms of conditioning, keep walking. Nothing gets you in better shape for hiking than hiking. Regarding gear, do some research into lightweight equipment and figure out what your comfortable with. Lighter loads spare the body and increase the enjoyment. Good luck and welcome!

I carry about 30 lbs of gear, max, most of it homemade. My main focus is on firestarting and water acquisition. I have 2 Bics, cotton balls, and a firesteel for the fire, water I have a 1qt canteen with a 2L pepsi bottle of water in my pack. I also carry the idodine tabs and trashbags for getting water with transpiration. Sleeping I carry a wool Army blanket, and a military poncho for shelter/sleeping bag. I pack light, and most of my stuff is homeade or modified military gear. I use the nylon quick drying REI pants, got a couple pairs for cheap, and the wicking underwear. I use one of the floppy boonie hats, and I safety pin a piece of cloth on the back to protect my neck and shoulders, I burn easily. With longsleeve shirts and pants, this leaves very little of my body exposed, so I can carry less sunscreen. I used to to long road marches with monster rucks when I was in the Army, so a 35-40 lb pack is easy in comparison.

Pedaling Fool
08-31-2008, 19:37
You might want to look into getting a trail guide, i.e. Thru-hiker's handbook, Appalachian Pages or Thru-hiker's Companion. They show most of the water along the AT. They cost anywhere between 12-15 bucks and also have town info, for resupply. The Data Book would be a good quick reference for only about $5.

Skidsteer
08-31-2008, 19:52
Welcome to Whiteblaze Trailbender.

mountain squid
08-31-2008, 20:28
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/signs087.gifto WB, Trailbender,

I carry about 30 lbs of gear.... I used to to long road marches with monster rucks when I was in the Army, so a 35-40 lb pack is easy in comparison.

Yes it will be. However, I’ve seen many prior military start off with that thought and 50 – 60 lb packs (even saw one guy who said he had 100#:eek:). No need to carry that much weight just because you can or did on a ‘forced march’. Does your 30# include food and water? If so, that is good.

Prior to the start of your hike next yr, I would suggest going to Neels Gap (http://www.mountaincrossings.com/) (30 trail miles from Springer Mt in GA) during thru hiker season (March/early April) if possible. You will see what other hikers are carrying. You will also see what they are sending home. Additionally, talk with the staff while there. They are very knowledgeable and helpful.

As far as water purification, I suggest Aqua Mira (http://www.mountaincrossings.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=692) instead of the tablets. You might also research the articles section here for more helpful tips/hints.

See you on the trail,
mt squid
http://hikinghq.net/forum/images/smilies3/rankn-cpo.gif

Lone Wolf
08-31-2008, 20:36
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/signs087.gifto WB, Trailbender,

Yes it will be. However, I’ve seen many prior military start off with that thought and 50 – 60 lb packs (even saw one guy who said he had 100#:eek:). No need to carry that much weight just because you can or did on a ‘forced march’. Does your 30# include food and water? If so, that is good.

Prior to the start of your hike next yr, I would suggest going to Neels Gap (http://www.mountaincrossings.com/) (30 trail miles from Springer Mt in GA) during thru hiker season (March/early April) if possible. You will see what other hikers are carrying. You will also see what they are sending home. Additionally, talk with the staff while there. They are very knowledgeable and helpful.

As far as water purification, I suggest Aqua Mira (http://www.mountaincrossings.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=692) instead of the tablets. You might also research the articles section here for more helpful tips/hints.

See you on the trail,
mt squid
http://hikinghq.net/forum/images/smilies3/rankn-cpo.gif

DO NOT go to neel gap for info. they SELL stuff

Kirby
08-31-2008, 20:47
Use the articles section of this sight. A lot of the information you'll need without some of the nonsense that comes up in the forum, which I am, like most, partially responsible for.

Kirby

Blissful
08-31-2008, 20:54
Best way to condition for it, really, is to get out there and just do it. You'll get your trail legs soon enough. My son did no conditoning whatsoever and did fine. But read up too on all the great info here on WB.

MOWGLI
08-31-2008, 20:59
I will be hiking the Appalachian trail summer 2009. Unfortunately, I can't do a thru-hike this time, as I only have 3 months in between semesters. I have always loved the woods, played in them constantly as a kid. I hike at several state parks around here, small hikes of 12 miles or so for now. I am building myself up for this, any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Tennessee Trails Association (http://www.tennesseetrails.org/) leads some hikes. Mostly older folks, but some real fine people belong to that club. They have a chapter in your town.

If you find yourself coming to Chattanooga, shoot me a PM. There are some good short training trails here. In fact, one starts in my backyard. :D

Summit
08-31-2008, 22:07
Welcome Trailbender! :welcome You'll find plenty of helpful information here at WB from a diverse group of folks who have many years and many miles of experience.

Pokey2006
09-01-2008, 01:22
I carry about 30 lbs of gear, max, most of it homemade. My main focus is on firestarting and water acquisition. I have 2 Bics, cotton balls, and a firesteel for the fire, water I have a 1qt canteen with a 2L pepsi bottle of water in my pack. I also carry the idodine tabs and trashbags for getting water with transpiration.

Trust me, if you do a section hike, most days you won't have time or energy for starting fires, and you won't ever need to go through the trouble of collecting water the "survivorman" way. Not on the AT, anyway.

You can certainly do a good section hike with three months, enough to get you hooked on long-distance hiking, I'm sure. And you've come to right place for info. Feel free to ask more questions -- that's what we're here for, to listen to ourselves ramble on about backpacking the AT! Good luck to you.

Bob S
09-01-2008, 01:35
Trust me, if you do a section hike, most days you won't have time or energy for starting fires, and you won't ever need to go through the trouble of collecting water the "survivorman" way. Not on the AT, anyway.

You can certainly do a good section hike with three months, enough to get you hooked on long-distance hiking, I'm sure. And you've come to right place for info. Feel free to ask more questions -- that's what we're here for, to listen to ourselves ramble on about backpacking the AT! Good luck to you.

I would say this depends on weather you camp to hike, or hike to camp. If it’s to camp you will probably do less miles a day and enjoy shelters or tents more. But if it’s to hike and do miles, you probably will want a quick meal and it’s off to sleep. And you will be sending things home that a camper would want to have with him.

Homer&Marje
09-01-2008, 09:00
This book is full of info for a section, thru, or just a day hike. Invaluable I believe.

https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=604&compid=1

Enjoy your section! Should be able to do half of the trail at 12 miles a day, but you'll probably find yourself hiking more miles than that a few weeks in.

Happy Trails

Trailbender
09-01-2008, 16:29

I like to have the option to be able to if I need to. I spent enough time in the military to become familiar with Murphy's law. I haven't done any major hikes, but have enough skills to survive by myself. Its good that water, ect will be easily available, but I like having other options for fire and water if need be, and they don't weigh much. All my firestarting gear is a firesteel, 2 Bics, alcohol, and a sack of cotton balls. trashbags and Iodine tabs are for the water collection. I can start a fire with a firesteel as easily with a lighter now, that I've practiced a good bit.

Trailbender
09-01-2008, 16:32
I would say this depends on weather you camp to hike, or hike to camp. If it’s to camp you will probably do less miles a day and enjoy shelters or tents more. But if it’s to hike and do miles, you probably will want a quick meal and it’s off to sleep. And you will be sending things home that a camper would want to have with him.

I won't be doing it to count miles. I will be enjoying the scenery, living off the land, ect. Some days, If I feel like walking fast, I will, but I plan to just take my time and enjoy the experience.

Nearly Normal
09-01-2008, 16:59
Good luck with that living off the land thing.
Quite unlikely.

Bob S
09-01-2008, 18:55
I don’t think living off the land will work for several reasons. It will take a large number of hours to gather the food you would need to eat. I think there are very few people any more that have the knowledge and skills needed to live off the land. If animals are a part of living off the land you will have to spend thousands of dollars for out of start hunting licenses & permits. The same thing goes for fishing. It’s just not a realistic thing to think you can do. Too many obstacles in the way, and it’s a lost art.

Bob S
09-01-2008, 18:57
Out of state not out of start.

Also it's generally not allowed to pack a gun in a lot of areas the trail traverses.

Trailbender
09-02-2008, 07:54
Good luck with that living off the land thing.
Quite unlikely.

I didn't mean completely, merely to supplement. I plan on eating pasta, ect. If a squirrel or rabbit presents itself, I'll take the opportunity. As far as fishing goes, I will check it out and see how it goes. I do not plan on bringing a gun, ect on the trail. I have actually hunted squirrels and rabbits by using thrown rocks. It sounds stupid but it works.

Blissful
09-02-2008, 10:53
I have actually hunted squirrels and rabbits by using thrown rocks. It sounds stupid but it works.

Plenty of squirrels to throw at in NH and Maine...that's for sure.

MyName1sMud
09-02-2008, 10:54
Welcome to the site!

Nearly Normal
09-02-2008, 20:04
Take advice from your signature.