PDA

View Full Version : Your water/hydration system??

Happy
03-10-2004, 13:08
I just wanted to see what other hikers use that has proven to work for them.
Not trying to be the lightest on this, just what works better for you and why if you want to expand.

I currently use:

2.8 oz----Aqua Mira
3.5 oz----2 litre platypus hoser
2.0 oz----2 litre platypus carrier
1.2 oz----soda bottle

Total: 9.5 ounces / start out with 2 quarts for 4 pounds of water weight

Second question is how much water would you start out with each morning for a 8+ mile hike??

I used to start with 1 quart and take a filter bottle and dip and drink as I hiked past a water source. Bottle and filter weight was 5.5 oz, water flow was difficult and water sources were lots of times way down a hill, so I ditched it.

walkon
03-10-2004, 13:13
i use polar pure, not sure on weight, and a 2.5 litre platypus with hose. fill that mother up in the morning as this is the most important time to hydrate. drink drink drink.
hydrate or die.
walkon

blairspangler
03-10-2004, 13:21
I use a 70 oz camelback bladder as main hydration and then two 32 oz. nalgenes. One nalgene with water to cook with or drink if water resupply is scarce and the other nalgene with gatorade for a little flavor. For 8+ miles i would start with a full supply especially in summer. obviously water availability and how often you wish to stop and resupply are factors.

Lone Wolf
03-10-2004, 13:47
A Nalgene, a soda bottle and no filter or treatment.

chris
03-10-2004, 14:17
Polar pure comes in around 3 oz dry. In the east, I generally carry a 32 oz. gatorade bottle and a 6 L watertank (hauling water to camp). I may just take a 2.4 L platypus water bag this summer as I really liked mine last from last summer. I don't drink as I go, perfering instead to sit on my arse while guzzling water. I rarely treat my water any more, but that is a personal risk that I am willing to take.

MOWGLI
03-10-2004, 14:21
I use a 70 oz camelback bladder as main hydration and then two 32 oz. nalgenes. One nalgene with water to cook with or drink if water resupply is scarce and the other nalgene with gatorade for a little flavor. For 8+ miles i would start with a full supply especially in summer. obviously water availability and how often you wish to stop and resupply are factors.

Unless it's a drought year like '99 or 2001, there is rarely any reason to carry 8 pounds of water on the AT. Of course, it's important that folks have "peace of mind". If carrying 8 pounds of water gives you that peace of mind, go for it.

The best advice I ever received was from a fellow named Skid. I'm sure some of you know him. He said, "the best way to carry water is inside of you". I agree totally.

Like Blairspangler, I like a little Gatorade from time to time. Crystal Light powder is pretty good too, but I usually like to steer clear of artificial sweeteners.

I have used Polar Pur for the past 4+ years. On my last hike (Foothills Trail end to end), I rarely used any treatment, but I was extremely selective about where I took my water from (dripping rocks, seeps, tiny streams high in the hills). I would not personally suggest that anyone do as I do. That would be irresponsible.

Having grown up near the AT on the New York/New Jersey border (Greenwood Lake) I drank water straight from springs & streams all during my youth. I think that helps my system tolerate untreated water better than a city dweller or someone who has never sipped directly from Mother Nature's cup. Of course, each time I choose not to treat water, I am taking a chance.

okpik
03-10-2004, 14:26
I still use the sweet water filter and I start out my hike with a 1.5L no name bladder and a 50oz camelpack bladder both riding on top under packstraps.
I also carry a nalgene to hydrate supper while I hike between lunch and days end. and the filter comes with a 2L platy I use in camp only.

I know, Aqua Mira. I want it now not 20 minutes from now. after a military career, I wait for nothing even at the cost of an extra pound.

hungryhowie
03-10-2004, 15:18
I use a 100oz Camelback hydration bladder (~5oz) and carry a 2L MSR Dromlite for extra capacity when its needed (~3-4oz).

While Platypie are certainly lighter, I often end up scooping my water out of the source and thus prefer wider openings.

When I treat water, I use Aqua Mira (3oz).

Hydration systems have worked better for me than bottles. Hydration systems can collapse as they empty, allow me to drink easily while I hike, have proven to be quite durable (at least the brands that I now use - the older Gregory's mylar bladder gave up the ghost too fast for my tastes, and several of the older MSR bullet valves have bitten the dust as well). I also like the fact that it's much more difficult to accidentally "spill" a hydration system - unlike a bottle.

To each his own

In regards to the amount of water one should carry for an 8+ mile hike, this is also a very subjective question. I seem to carry more water than many others. I like to start with a full 100oz (3+ Liters) in the morning and go all day, refilling towards the end of the day for camp. Using this method, there have been relatively few days that I have run out of water and been unable to obtain it while hiking. Another reason why I tend to carry more water is that I like to have the flexibility to stop and camp wherever I choose (i.e. awesome view), which are often dry. I just fill up first chance the next morning and keep on truckin'

-Howie

Alligator
03-10-2004, 16:42
I carry a 3l, 2.5l, and 1l, platypuses with hydration hose. In summer, 4 liters, cooler times of the year 3l to start with. The extra capacity is for in camp or dry spot camping. On a hot day, I could go through 4 liters by 12-2:00. I usually don't have to fill up before camp, but I may if necessary.

I use Polar Pur but may switch to Aqua Mira.

Sure, there are lots of water sources on the AT, but they are not always where you want them. I'm not chasing water down every side trail. I start off heavier but end up lighter. I have enough water to last most of the day. I'm hardly ever thirsty.

Whatever system you pick, just ask yourself two questions:
Was I thirsty today because I didn't carry enough water? [Was I comfortable]
Was my urine clear? [Optimal hydration]
Adjust your capacity accordingly.

tlbj6142
03-10-2004, 17:00
I have several bladders, but have discovered that I drink less when I use them. I think because I have no idea how much is left. I tend to take many sips, but they must not amount to much volume.

As such I have switched to carrying a 1L platty and a 1L gatorade bottle. Now I have to stop to drink (which I do every 45-60 minutes). Which makes the trip so much more enjoyable. And I have a chance guage my water supply. At water sources, I attempt to pre-hydrate as much as possible.

I'd probably carry an additional 1L platty if I wasn't sure water was available every 6 miles or so.

I use a bandana and aquamira for treatment. I'm thinking I might forgo treatment on my next trip if I come across good lookin' water.

PKH
03-10-2004, 17:07
A Nalgene, a soda bottle and no filter or treatment.
Ditto. No doubt I'll get sick someday, but it hasn't happened yet!

Cheers,

PKH

Kerosene
03-10-2004, 17:32
Dual 1+ liter collapsible Nalgene bottles (2 oz. each) in my side pockets.
20-ounce squeeze sport bottle (2 oz.) in my Wet Rib attached to my hipbelt.
Sweetwater filter (13 oz.)That comes to 19 ounces plus 84 ounces of water weight, for a total of up to 103 ounces (6.4 pounds).

I usually hike in the fall when water can tend to be scarce after a hot, dry summer. After running out of water on one summer trip 25 years ago, I always tend to carry more water than I need unless I'm positive about availability.

Since water should be fairly plentiful in Georgia next month, I'll be swapping the filter for Aqua Mira, saving 10 ounces, and will likely carry less water. What I'd really love is to combine the Aqua Mira with a very light pre-filter, but I'll make due with a coffee filter for this trip.

Peaks
03-10-2004, 17:39
1 Nalgene
1 Pur Hiker filter
1-3 liter collapsible Nalgene Canteen.

I usually didn't carry more than 1 liter of water. I'd read the map, and see where the next source of water was, and then fill up when I got there. Seldom needed to carry more than 1 liter. 3-liter was used in the evening so I needed to make only 1 trip to the water source.

Zaphod
03-10-2004, 18:11
I use a two L. platypus with a drinking tube. I love the tube because you do not have to stop or fiddle with a lid, just bite and sip. Some people like to hold as much as they can on the inside but your body can only absorb at a given rate so it is possible and likely that you can pee out water that you never got to use.

DeoreDX
03-10-2004, 18:38
I use a 2l MSR Dromelite w/ Hose attachment and a 1l Platy for extended areas with no water and for extra camp water. I carry an older MSR filter. I do not filter water because I'm afraid of contractign something, I just prefer the taste of filtered water. When I used iodine I used to try to hide the flavor with gatoraid, koolaid, etc. All the citric acid gave me serious heart burn while on the trail. I stick with plain old clear filtered water from now on.

Texas Dreamer
03-11-2004, 10:36
Pardon the Newbie, but could y'all explain Aqua Mira a little? Maybe a link?

hungryhowie
03-11-2004, 10:48
Pardon the Newbie, but could y'all explain Aqua Mira a little? Maybe a link?

http://www.mcnett.com/images/editor/aquamiraTreatment-ts.pdf

It is a two part solution that creates Chlorine Dioxide, a chemical solution that disinfects water and is used in the majority of municpal water supplies around the country and in industrialized countries world-wide. It is tasteless, harmless, and effective if used properly. Mcnett corporation, as far as I know, is the only company marketing it to outdoorsy people. I use the kind that is in two small dropper bottles. There is an extra mixing cap on one of the bottles. You put in the proper amounts of both solutions, let it sit for 5 minutes to combine, pour it into your untreated water, and let it set for the designated amount of time (it varies with the temperature of the water). Typically, it takes about 20 minutes to treat the water.

-Howie

tlbj6142
03-11-2004, 10:57
Pristine (http://www.pristine.ca/home.html)also sells the stuff. In fact the packaging looks identical. Which makes me think McNett and Pristine get the stuff from the same place. Or one of them makes it for the other company.

One thing to note about Pristine is that you can find it in larger containers. I have seen the doube sized packaging for $20 (USD) several places online.

firefly
03-12-2004, 13:00
I carry water in 2 one liter platypus bottles loaded on each side of my backpack-this balances best for me. I use a hydration hose. I collect camp water in a 4 liter platy reservoir because the wide mouth make it very easy to just open and scoop. It is much easier to filter drinking water from the platy reservoir than from a stream. I use a filter because I have been very ill from water cooties and do not want to ever go there again. All my friends that work for the EPA filter their water. My filter is the Pur hiker My total water system weighs in at 1 lb. The filter is 11 oz, the platy stuff added up is about 5 oz. I have tried hiking with just the hose and the larger water bag but that did not work for me. Placing the bladder in the my pack takes up to much room..putting it on top or in the back throws me off balance. Having only 1 water bag means I have to stand at the stream and wait while I pump all that water thru the filter..YUK..for 1 more oz I get 2 bottles that are easily loaded on each side (not always full) and I can collect water out of the stream in one big scoop and filter it later-maybe while I am cooking diner..this system works well for me..

bluesplayr
03-24-2004, 09:35
Unless it's a drought year like '99 or 2001, there is rarely any reason to carry 8 pounds of water on the AT. Of course, it's important that folks have "peace of mind". If carrying 8 pounds of water gives you that peace of mind, go for it.

The best advice I ever received was from a fellow named Skid. I'm sure some of you know him. He said, "the best way to carry water is inside of you". I agree totally.

Like Blairspangler, I like a little Gatorade from time to time. Crystal Light powder is pretty good too, but I usually like to steer clear of artificial sweeteners.

I have used Polar Pur for the past 4+ years. On my last hike (Foothills Trail end to end), I rarely used any treatment, but I was extremely selective about where I took my water from (dripping rocks, seeps, tiny streams high in the hills). I would not personally suggest that anyone do as I do. That would be irresponsible.

Having grown up near the AT on the New York/New Jersey border (Greenwood Lake) I drank water straight from springs & streams all during my youth. I think that helps my system tolerate untreated water better than a city dweller or someone who has never sipped directly from Mother Nature's cup. Of course, each time I choose not to treat water, I am taking a chance.
First of all, I'm a section hiker out west, and have not hiked any of the AT....so take that into consideration with my opinions herewith:

I've used a pur hiker, now made by katadyn, for years now, with absolutely no problems....from trickles of snowmelt to raging rivers....those of you who think taking the chance with giardia is a heroic act need to stop and think about the week of agony it can cause....remember, it's not just cute deer and elk and marmots that pee in the streams and creeks...mostly it's herds of cattle, grazing on federal land....there could be fifty head wading and pooping and peeing just upstream around the bend.

I choose to treat, for the same reason I use a seat belt in the car, and cut off the circuit breaker before I install an electrical outlet. I don't want to get zapped. :)

nazdarovye
03-24-2004, 14:46
I use an Ultimate Direction 128oz SportTank in summer, Camelbak 100 (insulated) in winter.

I carry a 1 oz Silnylon water bucket from Dancing light gear and Micropur tablets. I filter water through a bandanna if it has junk in it (just started carrying a coffee filter as an experiment - that might turn out to be better). With the SportTank and a pile of tablets, the whole setup weighs under 9 oz.

Depending on the trip, I may also bring a Katadyn Hiker (the bucket makes pumping water so much more convenient - scoop up a bunch of water from any source, then just hang the bucket from a branch and sit or stand and pump in comfort).

- Steve

bigcat2
05-30-2004, 17:20
I use a lot of water, unfortunately. Normally it's not a bad thing unless you're hauling it up a mountain. I have a 70 oz camelback, 1 32 oz Nalgene for Gatorade, 1 32 oz Nalgene and a 16 oz Nalgene for water when I run out of my camelback. I always run out at least once and on my recent GA through hike I had to refill my camel twice in one day. At least it keeps me hydrated, just wish I could find a way to lighten the load. :D

Kozmic Zian
05-31-2004, 09:45
Yea.........Hydration. Most of this depends on where you are hiking, the season and your personal needs. I like to 'camel up' in the AM with at least a liter of H2O. On the Southern AT, water is prevalent, during 'rain' years. I like to 'dip & fly', with my stainless cup, I thread it through a pack loop so it's always ready. I usually carry a half liter, depending on how hot it is, and how many water sources the guide says are ahead. Once you get up into N. Virginia, you begin to get a little more cautious about the sources. I filter most water up into upper New England, then it gets better. In Maine, the sources are pretty darn good.

I also carry an MSR water filter, for those times when I don't think the source is good. Most times I fill directly from the spring with no filter or Iodine (pew, hate that stuff). I think one of the greatest things about the AT is the water. You have to know how to identify the 'good springs', and even that's not a guarantee you won't get giardia, but IMHO, everybody get the s**** anyway from bouncin' back and forth with the 'trail food - town food' routine. Just pick springs way up on the mountain, coming directly out of The Earth, with a cistern and cover, or a pipe. Usually no animals can get to this water. If the spring is 'down the Mountain', somewhere near humans, animals or industry, always filter the water. If you have any difficulty with 'identifying good springs', filter or treat all of your water to be safe.

I also carry a 2 liter, MSR Dromedary bag for camp water and cooking. I use the Nalgene drinking system, with bottle caps and hoses, works great. Good Drinking! KZ@

Jaybird
05-31-2004, 11:14
i've (in the past) carried a 32 oz. Nalgene & 2 (28oz) sports bottles...But, now i'm dwindling that down to the 2 sports bottles...

NO FILTERS!

unless its been an un-believably dry season....2 bottles of water is usually good for me for 8 miles hike.

happy hikin'! :D

Big Guy
05-31-2004, 12:56
Generally carry two liters. One on my belt to drink as I walk and One in my pack. Usually carry my Pur hiker to filter water. Have had 5 years and never a problem. After atrip I always clean the filter and run diluted bleach throuh it. If doing a day hike carry one liter with my Bota Bottle to filter. I always filter or boil. Never know what may have been in the water before you.

eyahiker
09-12-2004, 19:16
Old thread, new question..........what do most feel is the downside of Nalgene bottles? Other than weight.

TDale
09-12-2004, 19:52
A sweetwater filter, (iodine tablets for backup) two or four 20 oz bottles (depending on the trip), and a 2.5 gallon water bag (4oz) for camp or dry stretches.

NotYet
09-12-2004, 21:29
I hate getting dehydrated; so I really try to avoid it! I use a PUR filter and usually like to start off the day with a full 100oz Camelback, taking sips often and liberally. I also carry an empty nalgene (gives me enough capacity to fill up at night, allows me to measure amounts, and my filter fits it perfectly). On my thru-hike, the fall was very dry and many of the springs from PA to NC were mere mud puddles...the filter made these water sources much more accessible and usable (of course, this wouldn't be an issue this year!!!).

As for the recent question, I don't see any downsides to nalgenes! I've had my current bottle since '97, and it seems indestructible. It has many uses...it can help in pre-soaking dinner, it's a good place to wrap duct tape for future use, its measurement lines make cooking easier, in the winter it can be a nice "warm-water bottle" to keep tootsies warm in a sleeping bag, if in the off-chance someone had to build a make-shift traction splint for a femur fracture, a nalgene can be used in creating a "boot" for the brace, and of course, it even holds water! I bet my simple nalgene has many other wonderful uses, too. I like having it around.

Perkolady
09-21-2004, 19:40
Old thread, new question..........what do most feel is the downside of Nalgene bottles? Other than weight.

This may sound silly, but I find I 'miss my mouth' more with the nalgene bottles. lol I don't have that problem with the liter sports drink bottles.

go figure. :confused:

Perkolady
09-21-2004, 19:54
I carry a 48oz. Platy in my pack, which I rarely fill if I know there will be another source on the way. (I usually camel up some before I resume hiking)

I also carry a liter sports bottle (Poweraid) which I prefer because I have small hands and I can get a good grip on it with either sweaty or numb hands.

I find a larger empty bladder is helpful for toting water at camp or if I decide I will be camping at a dry site.

I switched from a Sweetwater filter to Aquamira drops and I sure am happy with that switch !
:banana

Deerleg
09-21-2004, 20:55
A Nalgene, a soda bottle and no filter or treatment.Same here, but sub soda for sport drink qt bottle. works good for my mostly well planed section hikes, never been ill and have only been thirsty once. (Sep 01 in Shenandoah, drought year)

hustler
09-21-2004, 21:37
I carried a 70 oz and a 5 quart platypus. I used a little bottle with household bleach in it to purify water. I would use 2 drops per quart. I carried about 3/4 of an oz and it lasted all the way from springer to the whites. I got a refill from a hut for free. The 70oz was a hydration system, the 5 quart was for camp. I did not carry any soild water bottle, I used my pot for standing water to fill the pouches. This system was mega light. I did get away with using a 50 oz camelback for most of the trip. It was nice having the extra 20 oz in the heat and in New York.

The Hog
09-22-2004, 06:30
An ideal water treatment system will give you safe, clean water instantly, free of bacteria, protozoans and live viruses, with little extra weight to carry, and no aftertaste. That's why I carry an Exstream bottle.

bulldog49
01-13-2005, 17:00
I've been curious about the Exstream bottle and wonder why more people don't use it. How strong is the outflow, especially when nearly empty? And how susceptible to clogging is it?

The Hog
01-13-2005, 19:03
The flow rate is not very good, unfortunately. A good squeeze will shoot out a narrow stream of water, but it's awfully narrow. Most large particulate matter sinks to the bottom of the bottle and shouldn't get near the filter assembly if you keep the bottle upright. When the bottle gets low, I just toss out the dregs and refill the bottle.

DavidR
01-13-2005, 19:16
I carry a 1.8 liter Platypus with a Sweetwater siltstopper in-line. This makes for a very lightweight and effective system. I also treat my water with AquaMira.

I carry a 1 liter Platypus softside if I will be going through long sections without much water, but this rarely happens.

Footslogger
01-13-2005, 19:52
I carry a 1 liter Platypus softside if I will be going through long sections without much water, but this rarely happens.========================================
I have the same "fall back" system. If the water situation looks a bit iffy I fill the 1 Liter in addition to my 1.8L platy and stick it in a side pocket of my pack. That's bailed my butt out quite a few times on long, dry stretches of the trail.

'Slogger
AT 2003

rpettit
01-13-2005, 21:06
I use a First Need Deluxe water purifier and 2, 32 oz. Nalgenes. Usually carry 1 quart or less depending on water source availablity, suck up as much water as I can ( 1 plus quarts) when I refill. I use to carry 2 quarts, but ended up carrying one quart from source to source.

NICKTHEGREEK
01-14-2005, 18:39
2 48 oz Nalgene Canteens, 1 with Nalgene drinking tube.
1 32 oz Nalgene bottle.
1 96 oz Nalgene Canteen to collect large amounts of water, and I filter from it into the smaller ones.
Sweetwater Guardian Filter with siltstopper pre filter.
Couple of small melitta filters and aqua mira as a backup.

Bit on the heavy side but after 1 desert survival course, 1 deepwater survival course and a jungle survival course while I was in the service, I'm never without plenty to drink. Worse than that I perspire heavily and dehydrate pretty fast.

I've never had the sweetwater fail on me but I'm very careful about letting sediment settle and keeping it clean.

grrickar
01-14-2005, 18:44
20oz Propel Water bottle
1.5L Kelty Source Hydration Bladder
MSR Miniworks filter
REI folding bucket for hauling water to camp

SGT Rock
01-14-2005, 18:51
1Qt Gatorade bottle with a piece of cord for a carry loop - 1.9 ounces
Iodine tablets - 1.0 ounces
100oz Platypus bladder with pull top off a drink bottle - 1.5 ounces