PDA

View Full Version : Experiences With Eureka K2 XT Tent

WalksInDark
08-31-2008, 23:44
My Bro and I want to do a lot more winter camping on the A.T. this year so we are looking for a solid 3 person 4 season tents.

When it comes down to price and features the Eureka K2 XT Tent seems like a winner. Does anyone have any experience/comments to make about this tent.

BTW, I know that this tent is heavy (12 pounds), but have heard that the tent can easily be split between two hikers. Is the tent split easy...or a PIA?
:-?
Thanks In Advance!

UpHillPuffer

Toolshed
09-01-2008, 08:09
Ouch!!!!!
That is a lotta tent. Where are you heading? Over the whites? Anything else and it is overkill with tent.

I Spent many years winter backpacking and climbing in the adirondacks and even there that tent would be a luxury, but still overkill.

Tents can be easily split apart between fly and poles, tent body and stakes, guy ropes...

If you really want a 2 person Eureka winter tent, look at the Alpenlite (http://www.eurekatent.com/p-71-alpenlite-xt.aspx) (you can get on Ebay for $200)

Otherwise for most parts of the trail below VT/NH, you won't really have the snow load or need the protestion from camping on high ridge lines with continual blizzard-like conditions to warrant anything that exttravagant.

Other eureka tents to consider are the standard A-Frame Timberline. There are still a whole host of other tents by other manufacturers that would qualify as 3 1/2 to 4 season tents that are very light.

Lotta members on this board stretch into the 4th season with their regular gear, with no ill effects.
Good Luck
Rick

Homer&Marje
09-01-2008, 08:40
Sounds like over kill on that tent. My REI Dome is a 3 1/2 season and is designed for 2-3 people, large fly and footprint the total weight is 7 lbs (too much tent for me by the way) and is easily split in half. If you want a lot of space this tent has it, it is very warm. We sat out 15 F temps with 50 mph winds in SNP in March so it might be a better option than the Eureka.

Then again, I am looking for a new tent because of size and weight of this tent, but if you need extra capacity and can split between 2 or 3 people it would be a very nice tent for winter adventures.