PDA

View Full Version : sil nyl tube tent

MedicineMan
10-14-2002, 22:58
Set up the tube tent for the first time this afternoon in anticipation of the hike this weekend---at 12 oz. I am impressed, of course with a tube tent the set up time was minimal-1 long tie line and 4 stakes are the minimum,,,2 trees or the hiking poles for the ends....this tube tent was made by MoonBowGear.com (Jonathan McCue) and on one end has a triangular mesh insert, the other end has a pull cord to comletely cinch that end closed...after set up I cut a piece of Tyvek just a bit smaller than the foot print and will use it to help prevent damage to the floor area. Moonbowgear placed tie-outs in the middle on each side to increase interior room....
If I am displaced from a shelter in the Smokies this weekend (probable with all the hikers I expect) then I will use it and give a report when I get back. The tube-tent is approx 10feet long so when the end is cinched closed there is still plenty of room for gear and I think that the cinched end would do best pointed into the wind if you had a crystal ball and could tell which direction it would be blowing from at 3am! I didnt measure the height but you cant stand it it of course but maybe a hunched sitting position is doable depending on how tall you are.
More to come.

MedicineMan
02-07-2004, 01:18
I cant remember exactly but around 100$ but I dont think more than $120....
If you have looked at the pics of the Ponderosa/CrazyCreekCrib and have an interest in hammock camping you should also know that the Tube Tent will work in several ways with a hammock...one as a suspended tube tent encompasing the hammock (I tried with the BivAnorak but it was not big enough in girth), and two as an overpod keeping just a little more heat in.

Set up the tube tent for the first time this afternoon in anticipation of the hike this weekend---at 12 oz. I am impressed, of course with a tube tent the set up time was minimal-1 long tie line and 4 stakes are the minimum,,,2 trees or the hiking poles for the ends....this tube tent was made by MoonBowGear.com (Jonathan McCue) and on one end has a triangular mesh insert, the other end has a pull cord to comletely cinch that end closed...after set up I cut a piece of Tyvek just a bit smaller than the foot print and will use it to help prevent damage to the floor area. Moonbowgear placed tie-outs in the middle on each side to increase interior room....
If I am displaced from a shelter in the Smokies this weekend (probable with all the hikers I expect) then I will use it and give a report when I get back. The tube-tent is approx 10feet long so when the end is cinched closed there is still plenty of room for gear and I think that the cinched end would do best pointed into the wind if you had a crystal ball and could tell which direction it would be blowing from at 3am! I didnt measure the height but you cant stand it it of course but maybe a hunched sitting position is doable depending on how tall you are.
More to come.

HikeLite
02-07-2004, 01:34
That was me that was asking. Thanks for responding.

John

MedicineMan
02-07-2004, 09:09
If you get one John go ahead and get Moonbow/or whoever does it to put cinch cord/sleeve on both ends, and also the mesh inserts on both ends to give you even more variations. When you compare the tube tent and the BivAnorak the tube tent wins for more options in setup but it is hard to wear a tube tent, in that regard the BivAnorak wins- each weighs in so that you have no excuse for not having one or the other in a day pack, for a thru-hike that mainly intends to use shelters the tube tent is hard to deny unless you are interested in hammocks-the Light Racer weighs only 21oz. When you set up the tube try to direct wind through it unless you are in a hypothermia setting. It can also be used as a vapor barrier albeit a huge one.
MedicineMan