PDA

View Full Version : Stove Pros and Cons

GeneralLee10
09-01-2008, 12:10
I have a Snow Peak GS100a stove now and see this alcohol can stove. I made one this weekend well just 2 to mess with and I do not get what all the hype is. Is it cause they are made by you or is cause they are so lite? The access to the fuel? But it seems that it could be a mess and not all the efficient. You mite use to much fuel burn yourself or not enough fuel and have to refill in between your heat up process. I like the one I have but can someone tell me the pros & cons of this alcohol stove craze. Thank You

Lyle
09-01-2008, 12:27
Light! Cheap! Efficient enough for the way 95% of hikers cook. Fuel Readily accessible. No heavy fuel containers/cannisters. Carry only the fuel you need. Plus you can make it yourself.

Like any gear there is a bit of a learning curve, but easy enough with a little practice. ANY stove requires care while using.

Since you went to the trouble of making one, use it. Try a pot cozy - adds significantly to the efficiency of any stove. Give it a good, honest try. If you still don't like it, toss it out and use what you like - won't get arrested either way. :D

Appalachian Tater
09-01-2008, 17:48
The only drawback to an alcohol stove is that you can't always see that it's lit. Once another hiker (obviously unfamiliar with alcohol stoves) asked me if they could use the rest of my alcohol to light the fire in the firepit and before I could answer grabbed my still-lit stove and proceeded to drop it, spilling flaming alcohol all over their legs and causing a mild burn to their fingers. He was the only one not laughing but it could have been serious had it been a child.

smaaax
09-01-2008, 21:33
On my thru-hike this year, almost every thru hiker I bumped into was using a canister stove. Alcohol only saves weight wise if you are filling back up every 3-4 days. SGT Rock did a study on his website. After that length of time a canister is lighter.

Canisters are quicker and easier, and you can adjust the flame.

NICKTHEGREEK
09-02-2008, 08:14
I have a Snow Peak GS100a stove now and see this alcohol can stove. I made one this weekend well just 2 to mess with and I do not get what all the hype is. Is it cause they are made by you or is cause they are so lite? The access to the fuel? But it seems that it could be a mess and not all the efficient. You mite use to much fuel burn yourself or not enough fuel and have to refill in between your heat up process. I like the one I have but can someone tell me the pros & cons of this alcohol stove craze. Thank You
Some guys like fat chicks some don't. It's all about what you are all about individually. It ain't worth overthinking.:D

zelph
09-02-2008, 17:34
The only drawback to an alcohol stove is that you can't always see that it's lit. Once another hiker (obviously unfamiliar with alcohol stoves) asked me if they could use the rest of my alcohol to light the fire in the firepit and before I could answer grabbed my still-lit stove and proceeded to drop it, spilling flaming alcohol all over their legs and causing a mild burn to their fingers. He was the only one not laughing but it could have been serious had it been a child.

Now if you would have had an SS StarLyte UltraLyte the fuel would never had spilled out to have flaming alcohol all over their legs. Protect yourselves, get a StarLyte next time you think of getting a new stove;)

Think "Safety"