PDA

View Full Version : Manistee NF, Porkies, etc.

Tilly
09-01-2008, 14:30
I can hear my words echoing already in the NCT forum. Hopefully I will get some replies...
So at the end of Sept. I'll have about 10 days to go backpacking. I live in Northern Indiana, just for a point of reference. I really, really don't feel like driving 5, 6, 700+ right now. I just don't (gas prices aside.) So I've been trying to look for some information on hiking in Manistee NF, which would only be 4 hrs away at it's southern end. The NF website says that it has 300+ miles of trails, that the NCT winds 125 miles through it, but I can't find any good maps or anyone who has actually hiked in there and could give me some insight.
What I really need is a loop so I can get back to the car at the end of the trip. So then I thought that I could go to the Porkies, which I know have well maintained loops abounding. But it's soo...far...away. For anyone who has hiked there and thinks it's the bees knees and somewhere I have to hike before I buy the farm, let me know!
A tiny part of me wants to go to the Smokies again but again it's so far away and I figure I should go somewhere new.
So basically if anyone wants to give any info or impressions about Manistee or the Porkies please let me know...Thanks.

rcli4
09-01-2008, 15:34
How about the high country pathway? I think thats what it is called. Google it. I hiked it. I enjoyed it seen elk, deer, and small critters.

Clyde

Lyle
09-01-2008, 20:49
Mannistee National Forest does contain a long section of NCT. Very nice I might add. No loops of the magnitude that you are speaking however. Maps can be ordered from North Country Trail Association.

http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

As suggested above, the High Country Pathway is a popular, 80 mile hike.

http://www.100megsfree3.com/wordsmith/backpacking/highcountrypathway.html

One of my favorites is Isle Royale National Park. HIGHLY recommended. September is an excellent time to visit. It's a long drive, but not much further than the Porkies. Do you realize how big Michigan is? The Porkies are about an 10-11 hour drive from the Mich/Ind border.

http://www.nps.gov/isro/

Another option that I really enjoy is North Manitou Island. It's part of Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. Some real nice remote, dispersed hiking with great sand dunes and beautiful sandy beaches on the west side. Very peaceful every time I've been there.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/slbe/NMI.htm

Whatever you decide, have a great hike.

Tilly
09-02-2008, 09:31
Hi Lyle,

Ohh, I know how big MI is. It seems weird that I live literally less than a mile from the MI border, but the UP is just as far away as the Smokies are. I know that the Porkies are far away...and Sept would be so pretty. I just didn't know if the Porkies would be so much better than Manistee that it would be worth more than doubling the travel time to get there.

One thing that worried me about Manistee is I've heard that the trail is open to mountain bikes/ATV's. I didn't know if I'd be walking on trashed trails for 100+ miles or not.

I've been to Sleeping Bear before, very lovely, but I didn't go out to any of the islands as the ferry wasn't running that time of year. (May)

Thanks for all the info. I think I'll look into hikes in the LP a little more. Tilly

Lyle
09-02-2008, 15:09
Hi Lyle,

One thing that worried me about Manistee is I've heard that the trail is open to mountain bikes/ATV's. I didn't know if I'd be walking on trashed trails for 100+ miles or not.

Bicycles are allowed on parts of the Manistee, ATV's are not. The trail is nice, not trashed. At least the parts I've been on.

ki0eh
09-03-2008, 07:20
Ohh, I know how big MI is. It seems weird that I live literally less than a mile from the MI border, but the UP is just as far away as the Smokies are.

I knew a guy who did his undergrad at U of Michigan and said he had a couple of friends who were roommates, one was from Connecticut and the other was from the U.P. and the Connecticut guy was closer. :eek:

Lyle
09-03-2008, 11:55
Also, If you have never hiked in Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore is is a beautiful, fairly easy hike. Only about 40 miles or so, but there is also Grand Island a very short ferry ride from the west end of Pictured Rocks. The county runs a shuttle bus (will have to check on the fall schedule) the length of Pictured Rocks that is very reasonably priced. Could drive your vehicle to Munising, take the shuttle to Grand Marais, hike back to your vehicle, then with any time left catch the ferry to Grand Island and explore there for a day or two.

http://www.nps.gov/piro/index.htm
http://hunts-upguide.com/grand_island.html

This trip is in the UP, but not nearly as far as the Porkies. Just one more option for you and highly recommended.

Slosteppin
09-04-2008, 20:09
Tilly,
I've hiked most of the NCT in the MNF, much of it several times. The Mountain bikes are very seldom a problem and, as Lyle said, only part of the trail is open for bikes. I'm going out for a 3 day walk starting tomorrow, about 35 miles and partly a loop. The only loop in the MNF is a combination of the NCT and the Manistee River trail, a total of about 22 miles, just SW of Mesick or about 30 miles south of Traverse City.

How far would you want to walk in 10 days? Perhaps we could arrange a shuttle for you?
I live near Interlochen. My best friend lives about 10 miles NW of Baldwin.

Ed M

Tilly
09-06-2008, 17:09
Aye! Slowsteppin--
Thanks for responding to my post. I'm out of town right now, and haven't checked this thread for a few days. I have to do a little more research & confer w/my hiking partner, but I might be PMing you in a few days...realistically in flattish MI terrain I could probably hike 12-15 miles a day...but will talk to you soon. Thanks again.

Matteroo
09-06-2008, 17:39
if you consider using your 10 days for 2 different spots there is:
Nordhouse National Wilderness area - I believe the only national wilderness area in the lower penn. of the state. It is small, but beautiful, and not very far (I grew up in Ann Arbor and did my undergrad there). About 1 hour north of Ludington. On the 'sunrise side' of the state are Hines Lake area that offers some decent (For michigan) terrain and small lakes in the woods, etc (it is north a bit of the town of Ausable, very close to a tiny town called Mio).

Tilly
10-11-2008, 14:52
Thanks everyone for all your input and advice.

I did a section of the NCT through Manistee...at the time it was dark and rainy but I did have a good time, and the trail conditions were excellent.

Special thanks to Sloesteppin for a shuttle and general trail advice.

conmcb25
06-05-2009, 09:46
Tilly,
I've hiked most of the NCT in the MNF, much of it several times. The Mountain bikes are very seldom a problem and, as Lyle said, only part of the trail is open for bikes. I'm going out for a 3 day walk starting tomorrow, about 35 miles and partly a loop. The only loop in the MNF is a combination of the NCT and the Manistee River trail, a total of about 22 miles, just SW of Mesick or about 30 miles south of Traverse City.

How far would you want to walk in 10 days? Perhaps we could arrange a shuttle for you?
I live near Interlochen. My best friend lives about 10 miles NW of Baldwin.

Ed M

Has anyone recently done the MRT/ NCT loop recently? I planning on taking my 14 yr old for a shakedown run for a couple of days the third week of June.

I was wondering about trail conditios is there anything I need to worry about?

Lyle
06-05-2009, 10:09
Has anyone recently done the MRT/ NCT loop recently? I planning on taking my 14 yr old for a shakedown run for a couple of days the third week of June.

I haven't hiked it recently (need to get back there sometime soon), but it is a very popular loop, so I can only assume it will be in fine shape.

Just a note for your planning, the NCT side of the loop is on a rather high bluff - no access to the river for water. Only one stream to cross, and that is at the northern end of the loop. The River Trail side of the loop has frequent access to the water.

Slosteppin
06-05-2009, 20:16

I hiked the loop the last week in April. As Lyle said, the west side is high and dry with only one creek near the north end.
In April there were some wet areas and muddy on the east (MRT) side. I waded several inches of water for about 100 feet on a board near the south end. Waterproof trail runners work very well.
There are 10 designated campsites on the MRT side.
I usually time my hike so I camp near a creek near the south end and on the MRT side.

Slosteppin Ed