PDA

View Full Version : A. Rufus Morgan Shelter

Wolverine
03-10-2004, 19:10
During my thru-hike last year, there were only two times I was ever completely alone overnight in a shelter -- at Katahdin Stream Campground, and here at A. Rufus Morgan. It's less than a mile from N.O.C., so if you get here towards the evening, it's a good place to stop if you want to save a few bucks and maximize your time at N.O.C. the next morning.

steve hiker
03-11-2004, 01:18
From the Companion:

Rebuilt 1989, sleeps 6, no privy. Located in a small cove, this shelter is named after the club's founder. The water source is a stream across the A.T. from the shelter.

hungryhowie
03-11-2004, 10:55
I spent the night here alone on a southbound section hike in 2001 after Traildays. I would have had a nice nights rest if it weren't for the whipperwhills....

It is in a great location, set off from the trail about 50 yds and at the head of a little ravine. There is a small creek along the trail, so water is close by as well. It is also a very easy walk to and from the NOC (read: no big climbs and ~1 mile). I spent the afternoon at NOC, walked to the shelter to spend the night, walked back to NOC to have some breakfast and make a few calls, and then turned around and continued my hike south.

-Howie

Brushy Sage
03-11-2004, 11:06
I think I even knew Rufus Morgan in my younger days. I looked at the shelter, respectfully, and kept walking.

flyfisher
03-11-2004, 11:51
I think I even knew Rufus Morgan in my younger days. I looked at the shelter, respectfully, and kept walking.

Yes, good memories. I hiked LeConte with him and a group of about 40 college age kids in June or July 1975. It was his birthday and he was quite elderly. He was also mostly blind by then. I also went to a New Year's Eve service in his Episcopal church the next winter in which he officiated as Priest. He was proud of the work he had done in the mountains. He had personally rolled his gravestone down the mountainside and had his details chiseled into the rock at the church.

RIP, Rufus.

Jaybird
03-11-2004, 12:02
During my thru-hike last year, there were only two times I was ever completely alone overnight in a shelter -- at Katahdin Stream Campground, and here at A. Rufus Morgan. It's less than a mile from N.O.C., so if you get here towards the evening, it's a good place to stop if you want to save a few bucks and maximize your time at N.O.C. the next morning.

Model-T was to hike to the Rufus Morgan shelter & meet Jigsaw & me last year(2003)...but, we were ahead of schedule...& hiked past it & on into N.O.C.....me limping all the way (knees were killing me)...nothing, a LARGE ICE PACK & a HUGE BIG WESSER BURGER couldnt cure!

nice shelter...but i wuz ready for a shower & a comfy bunk. :D

Oteast
06-03-2005, 00:21
Unfortunately in the Spring of 1993 the blizzard that swept thru the southern states had felled a big tree right across the (then) relatively new shelter. So I had to tent in the cove it was in which was a nice area.

Rain Man
06-03-2005, 10:10
When I came through on a section hike late one evening last October, I almost missed this shelter. As I recall, there was no "Shelter" sign, or whatever there was, was very haphazard. The shelter itself was small and dark. I signed the register and went on, getting into Wesser after dark as rain began to fall.

Rain Man

max patch
06-03-2005, 10:26
Unfortunately in the Spring of 1993 the blizzard that swept thru the southern states had felled a big tree right across the (then) relatively new shelter. So I had to tent in the cove it was in which was a nice area.

That was an unbelievable sight. I kept thinking of "what if" someone had been sleeping in there when the tree crashed into the shelter.

Nean
06-03-2005, 13:18
My one memory is one I wish I could forget, this big lincoln log in the spring :eek: When I close my eyes I can still see the corn :eek: :eek:

Jester2000
06-03-2005, 15:45
In 2000 when I passed through there was a HUGE free party at the NOC as there was a cycling race, kayak race and some other stuff going on at the time. Free Bass Ale for all and we tented across the RR tracks down by the river. The next day a bunch of folks came down from A. Rufus to hear the tales of the previous evening's fun.

They were not happy.

Jeanette
06-12-2005, 08:07
I had intended to stop here for the night in May 2005 and arrived at the shelter around 6 p.m. No one else around. No bear cable, no privy. No good branches nearby for hanging your food. And I was disappointed to see a huge mess of somebody's leftover food that had been dumped into the fire ring. :mad: Being somewhat bear-phobic, I didn't want to stay there alone with all those food scraps luring beasts out of the woods... so I picked up and hiked the remaining mile or so to NOC.

DMA, 2000
06-12-2005, 17:27
In 2000 I was there on a different day than Jester. I liked it. I arrived there at around dusk, quite tired and wet, and would not have gotten proper enjoyment out of NOC. The next morning, it was just a quick hike to NOC and a big and hot breakfast. I took a virtual 0 at NOC, but didn't have to pay for 2 nights there. Good times.

Dancer
08-11-2007, 14:55
This was my first shelter experience on the AT. I went to the 2007 SORUCK and did the easy hike up to the shelter and back. It wasn't easy for me because I was out of shape. I kept expecting the group to meet me on the way back down but I finally made it to the shelter and the group cheered me. Signed my first shelter register at Rufus Morgan. Didn't hang around to explore or check out conditions though. I will always remember it though as my first AT shelter.

AW

jcskolman
10-13-2007, 13:30
I was there last week and it is still there and there was actually water there in the stream. I hiked to Wesser where there was no water and turned around to be safe.

The shelter is still there and made for a comfortable nights stay after a long day climbing up the mountain to Wesser and then coming back down.

Jack Tarlin
10-13-2007, 13:36
One of the funniest things I ever saw on the Trail was at Rufus Morgan.

At the end of a long day we were settling in for the night when a section hiker came in. We started re-arranging our stuff to make room for him, but he said he wasn't staying the night and was only there to "take care of some stuff."

The "stuff" involved his taking off his trousers, balling them up, throwing them in the fire pit, dousing them with around a quart of Coleman, and dropping a match.

There were a bunch of us in the shelter wondering what the hell he was doing.

After the trousers were well ablaze, he looked at the fire, nodded grimly, looked at us, and said "I HATED those pants!!" Then he put on his pack and hiked out. (He was wearing some undershorts if anyone's interested).

We never saw him again and did not sleep all that great that night.

And I don't think I've stayed at Rufus Morgan in the ten years since!

rafe
10-13-2007, 14:28
When I arrived I was confused to see a small gray short-tailed cat roaming around. It was Ziggy. I'd had a tough dehydrated descent off Wesser, and in general not in a happy mood. The water was good.

Sly
10-13-2007, 14:38
I wonder how well the stream is flowing these days?

Roots
10-13-2007, 15:04
My husband and I came to love the AT thanks to years of going to NOC. The first short hike on the AT was from NOC to Rufus, years ago. We were immediately drawn in by the awesome camping sites, stream of cold mtn water, and the shelter with journals to read. We sat there and read of the awesome adventures people had while coming through. From that time on we've been hooked. So when we came through in July, slowly dehydrating, hot, and miserable, the Rufus Morgan shelter area was a life saver. We wet our bandanas and poured it on our heads and it gave us the energy we needed to go that .8 miles to the end. Thanx, Rufus!!:sun

Roots
10-13-2007, 15:06
Very well as of last Sunday-the 7th