PDA

View Full Version : Knee and or Shin Pain

jzakhar
09-01-2008, 20:14
Before I got off the trail at harpers ferry, I was having some pretty good knee and lower shin pain. The knee pain is always right below my knee cap, a mis step or turn ankle a little off and step really set it off, I mean owww big time.
The shin just gets real sore and starts to throb after walking up hill for awhile.

Anyway, I havent hiked in maybe 2 months, everything was good. Did 20 something miles this weekend and wow its back with a vengeance...

This has to be a common problem with hikers, ive looked into it a little today (I just got back). Seems like runners knee is a really good candidate http://saveyourself.ca/tutorials/patellofemoral-pain-syndrome.php

I had always assumed this would heal over time. However 2 months is a long time (for me). I will probably make an appt with a doctor next week, just to be sure. I admit I am worried now, 2 months rest and 2 days brings it right back to where I was after 1000 miles.

I am hoping to hear that this isnt now a lifelong injury, or anyone elses experience with this kind of pain

-Blackberry

burger
09-01-2008, 20:31
I'm a runner and hiker, and I've had both shin splints and runner's knee. The good news is that both runner's knee and shin splints (assuming that's what you have) will heal given time. The bad news is that it can take a while, and you may need to take active steps to avoid a repeat of the injuries. One bad case of runner's knee that I had took 6 months to heal completely (to the point where I had no pain). My shin splints usually get better after several weeks.

Are you doing exercises and stretches to help your knees/shins? There are a lot of great exercises that can help. For your knees, make sure you keep your hamstrings and calf muscles well stretched, and strengthen your quads. For your shins, you need to strengthen your tibialis anterior, the little muscle that runs along the front of your lower leg.

And don't just go to a family MD--see a sports medicine doctor or an orthopedist who has experience with these types of injuries.

jzakhar
09-01-2008, 20:40
I do the 3 basic stretches every morning and evening when I hike. No strengthening yet. It is encouraging to hear it can heal with out a surgical fix. I will look into the sport doc this week, man it hurts lol

Blissful
09-01-2008, 21:51
Yeah, not good to take 2 months off and then crank out a 20 miler. Need to work back into it gradually (which is very tough for a thru hiker, I know!).
Did you wear a brace? Use poles? Type of footwear matters as well. If your footwear / insoles were worn out on your inital thru, that may have aggravated it too.

Ice, ice, ice (no heat). And heavy NSAIDs (your doctor may put you on prednisone pack initally which does wonders in cutting inflammation)

Pedaling Fool
09-01-2008, 22:03
I use (~10 years ago) to have really bad knee pain, especially the right knee. I've been to the docs and they say the usual, take anti-inflammatory meds and when it gets real bad surgery will be the only option. After talking to many people I decided to start weight training, and I haven't had nearly the problems I use to have. It's best to do weight training in a way in which you're not overly straining yourself, but get a really good burn in. Only once in a while I do the heavy weights.

Because of weight training I now run regularly, since I can’t hike too much around here. No more knee/shin problems, as long as I don’t overdo it.

One thing that works for me, when I do injury myself, like now I’m working through a strained groin muscle,I don’t take long periods of time off, instead I just reduce the time/intensity of my workouts; this seems to enable me to heal quicker. It’s very important, at least in my experience, not to push it too hard when I’m exercising with an injury, even when I’m feeling good.

P.S. I also went through a long bout with shin splints when I started running/hiking; just take it easy, but don't take massive amounts of time off and it will pass.

mkmangold
09-01-2008, 22:32
The Cho-Pat strap (https://secure.cho-pat.com/products/product.php?product_type=26) helps push the kneecap up, elevating it above the underlying structures causing pain in runner's knee.

Two recommendations for shin splints (also for plantar fasciitis and achilles tendonitis): first is a homemade splint to keep your foot at a 90 deg angle during sleep. I made mine from fiberglass splinting material and elastic wrap. This keeps your calf muscle stretched during the night when they would otherwise naturally contract and shorten.
Second, use weights to dorsiflex your feet and develop the anterior lower leg muscles. I have a "Dorsiflex" bar to which weights can be attached but when I go to www.dorsiflex.com (http://www.dorsiflex.com), all I get is a blank screen. Otherwise, use empty paint cans and fill with more water as strength increases.

adventurousmtnlvr
09-01-2008, 22:32
IF it's shin splints, first rest them and when you feel better there are a couple things you can do to "strengthen" them (had this problem last week, lol). If you are standing up lift all your toes on both feet (as if you are trying to point them up to the ceiling) ... then relax and continue this several times. Another exercise that helps is stand on stairs with the balls of your feet (in or out of shoes doesn't matter) but lower your heels as far as you can and HOLD ... then goes back up to your toes and repeat this. And the last one is really for karate people but it's for shins. And that is to to use a can or bottle (maybe with water in it) and roll it from above the ankle to just below the knee. This hardens that area slowly. (always best to consult a physician prior of course) these are exercises for after you are better :)

jzakhar
09-01-2008, 23:06
Lots of good info, thanks so much guys. I will start trying to work up the strength in my knee and shins.

Yeah, not good to take 2 months off and then crank out a 20 miler. Need to work back into it gradually (which is very tough for a thru hiker, I know!).

LOL tell me about it, I went with a partner who kept telling me, dude slow down, dude slow down. I am paying for it now and he is laughing it up.

I did wear a brace while on the AT and used poles there and here this weekend. I didnt bring the brace, I was kind of assuming it was healed, ive not had any pain in a good few weeks.

My boots are in good shape (Merrel Pulse 2's) with the green super feet inserts. The inserts have never bothered my feet but I didnt have a professional recommend them.

After doing some reading it seems like this could take up to a year to fully heal in the most severe cases. I really hope that is not true, that would be a huge bummer.

Anyway, just ordered that brace mkmangold suggested and as soon as it feels better I will start with exercises. From the posts here it does sound like I will be fighting this on and off for sometime to come. Who knew that many miles would cause some injuries ;)

take-a-knee
09-01-2008, 23:53
Barbell squats, both heavy low rep and light high rep, will strengthen your knees. Jumping up and down off of a plyometric box will help, as will walking lunges.

Many Walks
09-02-2008, 17:07
Cho-Pat knee braces and good hiking poles really helped us get through.

Bearpaw88
09-02-2008, 18:23
Hi,

Sorry to hear about your knee pain. As mentioned Cho-Pats really helped. I don't think I could have gone past Neel's gap without mine. I used the Dual strap braces.

Also seeing a good Orthopedic Surgeon/ Sports Medicine Dr. really helped me. He sent me to a physical therapist that specialized in sports medicine and was a bcakpacker himself. After 4 months of P.T. an synvisc injection (replacment join fluid) my knees were great before my hike.

Then when they started hurting in the beginning of the trail I wore the braces and basically hiked away the problem.

Knee pain can be tricky because so many things can be involved. It can be caused by over pronation, bad hip/knee/foot alignment, weak muscles and a number of other things. This is why seeing a GOOD professional can really help determine the cause and the cure.

Good Luck :D

johnny quest
09-06-2008, 11:39
i just came off the trail because of knee pain. im going to look into orthodics. anybody ever use them to correct knee pain? i may also buy those chopats

Wags
09-06-2008, 12:01
i used those cho pat things when i played a lot of street basketball games. my knees would hurt from 2 hours a day, everyday, of pounding on the asphalt

bmac
09-15-2008, 12:19
You may want to consider doing some low impact exercises using a bike or swimming. It may help strengthen your legs without hurting your knees / shins. The only other recommendation that I had was for you to replace your boots, but it looks like you said your boot were in good shape. Definitely see an orthopedist or physical therapist like the other posters said. Hopefully you can get back on the trail pain-free (atleast as much as possible). Good luck!