PDA

View Full Version : Shakedown hikes in Florida

bobbyw
09-01-2008, 21:44
This winter I'm going to be checking my true preparedness by doing some shakedown hikes in Florida, I live in the southwest area, but I'm certainly willing to travel provided the hikes will be for at least a few days. It would be great if we could even get a small group together for a trip or two. So sound off here if you're interested.

Bare Bear
09-02-2008, 06:10
I have from Gold Head Branch north on the Florida Trail still to do and can go whenever the weather fits (probably Jan-Feb). I will not go until the trail is dry though,lerned tahat lesson in Dec 05 and was waist deep in swamp for days. Not fun.

Gray Blazer
09-02-2008, 07:33
Count me in. BB, that is prolly one of the best drained sections on the FT.

Hammock Hanger
09-02-2008, 10:27
I have a remote 20 miles that I need to complete to put this End-to-End hike ta bed, up in the Apalachicola NF.

During the cooler months I'm up for a hike.

Bare Bear
09-07-2008, 00:30
Sue HH I still ahve your number unless it has changed and I'll give you a call when I get a firm date............I've only accomplished two short week long hikes all summer.

Hammock Hanger
09-07-2008, 07:58
Sue HH I still ahve your number unless it has changed and I'll give you a call when I get a firm date............I've only accomplished two short week long hikes all summer.

Then you've got me beat. Over a year since I have done any serious hiking.:rolleyes:

Bare Bear
09-08-2008, 23:31
Yeah, us old guys just use fossil fuels, drive around and visit ol Trail friends, take a week to hike 75 miles...............tough life, I wonder what the poor folks is doing today? I learned long ago that it is not money that makes you rich but what you do with your life. BUT the thread was tune up hikes so let's go.

j03210
10-22-2008, 22:12
Hey, I'm in the Tampa Bay Area and I'd be down to drive if you know of some good trails. I'll be hiking 30+ through Myakka State Park this weekend (10/24 - 10/27) and looking to hike the FT in February once I'm outta school.

fehchet
10-23-2008, 12:24
I'm ready. I'll be back on Siesta Key in November until May.

bobbyw
10-24-2008, 11:56
I've since had to move to Texas, and have been working insurance claims for hurricane Ike. Now I've got the money for my '09 thru, but can't be going hiking in Florida. Have fun without me.

hurryinghoosier
10-24-2008, 20:20
I am moving to Fla (central-Orlando area) in the middle of December. Put me on your list. If it fits my schedule I would love to join in. I too need to get in some shakedowns for the 09 thru.
Hoosier Ben

Bare Bear
11-07-2008, 01:47
Check back around Jan 15th............I want to be on the Trail when Superbowl comes to Tampa.

Bare Bear
11-21-2008, 18:51
Hey folks, it looks like Dec 15 works for most of us.......
I will be starting from Gold Head Branch State Park NOBO until I get bored..................PM me if you are serious about going. 3 so far semi-committed ( which is a legal term if you are really committed :) I hate hiking alone, especially in Fl where it gets desolate at times.

Hammock Hanger
11-21-2008, 21:03
Hey folks, it looks like Dec 15 works for most of us.......
I will be starting from Gold Head Branch State Park NOBO until I get bored..................PM me if you are serious about going. 3 so far semi-committed ( which is a legal term if you are really committed :) I hate hiking alone, especially in Fl where it gets desolate at times.

Am I in that #3??? I don't think I'll re-hike the Goldhead -- Osceola area but may join you up in the Suwannee area and definitely up in the Apalachicola area. Then I will be well past my 6 week rehab stage. Remember though I'm planning to go easy.

Grinder
11-22-2008, 17:07
I'm in winter haven. I'd consider some florida hikes in the northern half.

Understand that there isn't much climbing in florida. Training for the trail has to include climbing or you'll be suprised.

Tom/grinder

Sloth71
11-22-2008, 19:26
Keep me updated. My schedule is crazy, but I'd love to get some trail time in! I'm way over in Perdido Key (Alabama border) so I'd prefer something in the northern part of the state. Don't mind traveling a bit though:) If you're referencing a trail section, just let me know what it's near. I'm new down here.

Dogwood
11-22-2008, 20:12
[QUOTE=Grinder;728669]I'm in winter haven. I'd consider some florida hikes in the northern half.

Understand that there isn't much climbing in florida. Training for the trail has to include climbing or you'll be suprised.

I'm seeing the same concerns as U! For a gear shakedown and some physical and mental prep for an AT thru-hike great. but FLA hiking isn't going to properly prepare U for the elevation changes that will be encountered on the AT.

Bare Bear
11-24-2008, 12:38
Florida's highest hill is about 300'...........but any hiking with a back pack for a few days or weeks is better than nothing. It conditions your feet and that is the most important thing. It will also allow you to remember what you do not have that you needed. It lets you eliminate things you really do not need. I always enjoy those who set out on a thru that say they are ready because they stairstep at the gym, or run, or whatever, etc. Folks, unless you do it with a full pack for 8-10 hours a day then you are not ready!
After section hiking the AT including two 500 mile 'sections' and 1000 miles in three sections of the PCT, and the AT 2006 thru hike, I know that I will not be ready no matter what going again.
I also know that recent hiking of any kind helps. Even in flat Florida.

Gray Blazer
11-24-2008, 14:41
Bare Bear, I'll be watching this space to find out when you are leaving. How is the FT hiking north of Goldhead? Do you have to get permission to go through Camp Blanding? Where are some road crossings between say Goldhead and Olustee? I definitely want to join you when I can and can shuttle you if necessary.

Hammock Hanger
11-24-2008, 17:00
Bare Bear, I'll be watching this space to find out when you are leaving. How is the FT hiking north of Goldhead? Do you have to get permission to go through Camp Blanding? Where are some road crossings between say Goldhead and Olustee? I definitely want to join you when I can and can shuttle you if necessary.

After hiking through GHSP you cross SR21/Blanding Blvd. This will put you at the trailhead to enter Camp Blanding. From this point you are suppose to call the number on the kiosk and get permission to hike through. It is a safety precaution should there be maneuvers going on. Once you reach the northern side of Camp Blanding you are suppose to call and let them know that you are across and leaving the area.

There is some road walking a bit further north from there or you can take the newer trail which is an old railroad area. Then there is some dirt road and neighborhood roads as well as crossing #301 just outside of Starke. It is like that most of the way to Lake Butler.

After leaving the town of Lake Butler you enter a pine forest. Here it is trail and dirt road all the way to #90 where you will cross and enter the Olustee Park/Osceola NF. There is a bathroom and running water here.

Once in the NF it is mostly all trail with a bit of dirt road thrown in.

tucker0104
11-24-2008, 20:32
I am in Jacksonville and would be up for a hike anytime. Just send me a PM. Thanks.

Grinder
11-24-2008, 22:51
Dogwood,
What I did to add climbing is go to the local stadium and climb the steps there for an hour. It had me panting like the real thing. at 50 feet per climb, 10 reps equaled 500 feet of ascent.

Unfortunately, the damn terrorists caused the school to tighten up security and now a days I can't get in.

Such is life.

Grinder

JaxHiker
11-24-2008, 23:25
Once in the NF it is mostly all trail with a bit of dirt road thrown in.
You're off and on roads from Olustee to Deep Creek. Keep an eye out for the blazes. Some didn't seem to match up with the map/data book.

tucker0104
11-25-2008, 20:09
I still haven't seen a gator in 7 years of being in florida

Bare Bear
11-25-2008, 21:29
I am going to TRY to get away for at least a week on the FT starting this weekend. I won't get up to where HH needs to go for a long while yet. I always go with the intention of staying out a week minimum and if I am enjoying it then just keep going. I hate driving so far to a start point then just doing a day or two. Esp AT where it is ten hours away from me!
So...anyone ready to go for a week on the Florida Trail starting???

Bare Bear
11-25-2008, 21:31
I just went back and read the 'no gator sighting' I see em everyday I care to look even in the city here. In Orlando I even see them in the retention ponds along the bypass to the airport.

Hammock Hanger
11-25-2008, 22:21
I am going to TRY to get away for at least a week on the FT starting this weekend. I won't get up to where HH needs to go for a long while yet. I always go with the intention of staying out a week minimum and if I am enjoying it then just keep going. I hate driving so far to a start point then just doing a day or two. Esp AT where it is ten hours away from me!
So...anyone ready to go for a week on the Florida Trail starting???

It's a little too soon after the surgery for me. Besides I'm spending next week in Daytona. Keep going... I'll drive out to see you wherever you are when I get back. Sue

Bare Bear
11-25-2008, 22:33
Thanks Sue, I knew it woudl be too soon for you but if I can get some miles in then I will be getting closer to where you need that section. I just pulled my 05 version FT maps out and will be ordering new ones tomorrow. I hope to check on line and see what changes so I do not have to buy too many new ones. I know there have been a few major changes like in Bradwell Bay and along the River north of White Springs.

Bare Bear
11-26-2008, 15:19
Well it looks like my 'get back and finish the FT' willahve to wait. I called FT in G'ville this morning and they said to call Deb Blick Monday to figure out which maps (04-05 I have) need updates. SO I will probably not get going until Dec 1. Still plan on going north from Gold Head Branch until I get to the end or bored.

tucker0104
11-27-2008, 10:06
Does anyone live close to the trail and can give my girlfriend and me a ride so we don't have to hike out and back?

Hammock Hanger
11-27-2008, 12:47
Does anyone live close to the trail and can give my girlfriend and me a ride so we don't have to hike out and back?

What section of the trail are you inquiring about??

tucker0104
11-27-2008, 20:53
I haven't done any research on the Florida trail. Any good 3 day hikes that are not swampy?

Hammock Hanger
11-27-2008, 21:26
I haven't done any research on the Florida trail. Any good 3 day hikes that are not swampy?

A nice 3 day hike is Eglin AFB located up in the Panhandle. I couldn't help out way up there.

Bare Bear
11-28-2008, 00:49
The Florida Trail website is fairly good. I am sure there is a branch near you that meets at least once a month and each group sponsors hikes in their area. Or give the Fl Trail Association in Gainesville a call for more info. 877 445-3352

BumpJumper
11-28-2008, 23:00
Oh man, I am so in for a north Florida hike. I have my FT CD coming in the mail this week so I can get any map I want....:D

Hammock Hanger
11-28-2008, 23:07
Oh man, I am so in for a north Florida hike. I have my FT CD coming in the mail this week so I can get any map I want....:D

If you figure out that CD let me know. i was never able to get mine to work right...

I am all for a few weeks out in the woods come January. The knee should be ready for some sandy florida walking.:p

tucker0104
11-29-2008, 14:18
I am in for a hike.

Bare Bear
11-30-2008, 01:17
I've heard other complaints about the CD and them not being up to date. You can't always get what you want but if you try real hard, sometimes you get what you need. Sure would make a good song...............Go Stones

BumpJumper
11-30-2008, 15:27
It better be what it says it is or I will be knocking on someone's doors....:eek:

tucker0104
11-30-2008, 15:55
Good one

Biancap
11-30-2008, 19:47
I'm up for doing some hikes starting in january. I'm not picky as to what sections but whether I can go or not depends on my school schedule (which I don't trust to be finalized until the term begins so I can't give a definite yes or no on any dates until the beg. of January).

Bare Bear
12-01-2008, 18:42
Heading to Ocala Friday for the weekend. Bumpjumper is helping out on a hike/paddle/camp weekend just for grins and giggles but it beats staying home. I am waiting on Fl Trail to get updated maps but the ONE PERSON I need to talk to is still not back from the holidays. :) So the Fl Practice Hikes will not get going for another week or so. Stay tuned for updates.

Bare Bear
12-11-2008, 18:56
I am thinking about heading North Monday at Gold Head NOBO on the FT.
Anyone else ready to go? PLEASE do not PM me, use this thread as I do not have time to answer PM everyday.

Gray Blazer
12-12-2008, 09:00
I am thinking about heading North Monday at Gold Head NOBO on the FT.
Anyone else ready to go? PLEASE do not PM me, use this thread as I do not have time to answer PM everyday.

I work all next week and will be visiting grands on the weekend and next Monday. You will be in my neck of the woods so let me know if you need a ride. I could swing by and meet you after work sometime next week. I might can join you after Christmas if you are still walking.

Bare Bear
12-14-2008, 09:27
I have to be back in StPete for a day Dec 20 but plan on being out a week starting Monday, then back again during the Christmas Holidays and into the New Year on the FL Trail.

riverroyer
12-14-2008, 19:50
Spending some time in Tampa area and planning on starting the AT in late February. After X-mas I have time to hike and the freedom so would appreciate any info, also willing to be part of a hike in Florida. Also for Slow starting companions for the AT.

Hammock Hanger
12-15-2008, 16:26
I have to be back in StPete for a day Dec 20 but plan on being out a week starting Monday, then back again during the Christmas Holidays and into the New Year on the FL Trail.

After the New Year I'll be looking for your wear-abouts. Sue/HH:sun

Bare Bear
12-18-2008, 21:18
Well some times I think I do better just GOING and worry about everything else 'tomorrow' like Miss Scarlett. I will be stuck here in town now until Jan 3 when I am going.............NOBO from Gold Head. Probably stay in Gold Head and walk out on Jan 4th might be a better plan.
Just say Hike It All

Bare Bear
12-26-2008, 12:07
The best source is the Florida Trail in Gainesville, get the thru hiker guide. It is supposed to be updated every two years.
I will be getting dropped off at Goldhead State Park and just walk NOBO until I get bored, finish, or my foot gives out (I've got a nagging injured left heel from this summer's hikes).

Bare Bear
12-30-2008, 02:17
Well the new maps suck compared to the old ones....but at least I have them. I also have the 05 FT Guide for what it is worth being 'dated' now. So far it still looks like me driving up to Perry, FL on Sat Jan 3 then getting dropped off at Goldhead on Sunday. I'll probably stay at Goldhead State Park Sunday to see if anyone else shows up (ask at the entrance Kiosk, the Ranger knows me :)
So Jan 5 I'll be going NOBO from Goldhead Branch State Park. I will go at least one week but will keep going if my foot allows me to. I think it actually feels better out in the woods walking than around home but that is probably my state of mind.
HH I will give you a call when I get near your needed section.

Bare Bear
01-02-2009, 03:55
Everyone TALKS about hiking but when it comes time to go then it is really quiet......
I am leaving from Goldhead Sunday at 1100 am.

Worldwide
01-02-2009, 10:17
I would join you but since the highest point in FL is Space Mountain in Disney World I just stick to the beach strolls.

Bare Bear
01-03-2009, 02:04
I am leaving Sunday Jan 4th from Goldhead. Noon seems reasonable. Only about 7.5 the first day as the camp sites are sparse in this area. So it is 7.5 or 30!
10-15 miles per day of relatively easy mostly flat walking until the White Springs area where it is up and down 30 foot sand hills for 60 miles.
I can only go out for two weeks and will have to go home Jan 18-20 then will be back (estimate around White Springs north by then.) around Jan 21. and hope to finish at Ft Pickens by the end of February. See ya.

Gray Blazer
01-04-2009, 20:23
I am leaving Sunday Jan 4th from Goldhead. Noon seems reasonable. Only about 7.5 the first day as the camp sites are sparse in this area. So it is 7.5 or 30!
10-15 miles per day of relatively easy mostly flat walking until the White Springs area where it is up and down 30 foot sand hills for 60 miles.
I can only go out for two weeks and will have to go home Jan 18-20 then will be back (estimate around White Springs north by then.) around Jan 21. and hope to finish at Ft Pickens by the end of February. See ya.

I'm guessing you changed your plans. I left the Keystone Air Park today around 11:30 and walked all the way to 21 (by Goldhead) and back. I realize you may be staying at Goldhead, but, by the time I got back to my blazer it was getting late. Beautiful walk, 4 lakes and a waterfall, not to mention a secret WWII air force base. I'll PM you with my telephone # in case you need a ride. Have fun!

Bare Bear
01-05-2009, 19:55
Sorry I missed you Gray Blazer. I left very early Sunday and walked to the DOF station getting there around 6:15 pm. 28.5 miles was too much! They really need a camp between the stops...even though there are stelath spots in the woods along the way we are asked not to do that. But for me the mileage was too much. My foot has given out so I got a ride back to Perry at my sisters. Hanging here for a day or two to replan....not hiking until I get to a Dr to have an exam of this foot since it was first injured in Oct so it is about time I gave in to the pain.
I am thinking about going back to Clearwater, getting the kayaks and coming back to take a week on the Suwannee around White Springs?

Bare Bear
01-09-2009, 03:06
Well kids I made it to the DOF Station after twelve hours of hiking and the last three were really tough. Easy enough road walk but I aggravated my foot injury from last Oct. I got home and did the doctor-xrays thing and will probably opt for day surgery to try to get it fixed and rehab before March. It could have been worse.

Hammock Hanger
01-09-2009, 19:38
Well kids I made it to the DOF Station after twelve hours of hiking and the last three were really tough. Easy enough road walk but I aggravated my foot injury from last Oct. I got home and did the doctor-xrays thing and will probably opt for day surgery to try to get it fixed and rehab before March. It could have been worse.

Did you decide o a paddle trip???

tucker0104
01-15-2009, 11:59
Anybody up for heading out Sunday to Tuesday. 1/18-1/20

Bare Bear
01-16-2009, 01:56
I have surgeon evaluation Jan 30th. I hope to get the surgery done and rehab to be on the Trail by March 15th????

bobbyw
01-18-2009, 20:21
I'm back in Florida and ready to go anytime. I live in the southwest. Also, I'm still lacking plans for a ride to the trail. If anyone in my area already has a ride or is planning one let me know.

Bare Bear
01-20-2009, 23:55
Having to sit home 'stay off the feet' is punishment to me. I realize now how much I want to go do the AT again and maybe will not be able to this year.

bobbyw
02-11-2009, 05:10
I'm back in town, sitting around waiting for an early-mid march start. If anyone wants to do some hiking and camping, let me know!