PDA

View Full Version : LT Section Hike: Journey's End to Johnson?

earlylight
09-02-2008, 21:33
Journey's End to Johnson is about 50 miles. I'm planning to hike it SOBO in 4 days. Does that sound like a reasonable estimate, or should I pack another day's worth of food as a contingency?

Is this stretch harder or easier than Jonesville to Johnson?

I've finished about 210 miles of the LT so far this year.

Thx,

-Philip

Lone Wolf
09-02-2008, 21:35
Journey's End to Johnson is about 50 miles. I'm planning to hike it SOBO in 4 days. Does that sound like a reasonable estimate, or should I pack another day's worth of food as a contingency?

Is this stretch harder or easier than Jonesville to Johnson?

I've finished about 210 miles of the LT so far this year.

Thx,

-Philip

pack an extra day. it's a little tougher

Quoddy
09-03-2008, 09:18
Hi Philip...

Having hiked with you, I believe that you could hike that section in four days. I thought that this section was one of the easier ones on the LT and I had my highest mile days there. The entire section is very rolling, but the only real testing mountains are Belvedere (which I hit after already doing 12 miles that day), and Jay Peak itself which is a short, but steep section. I did this section in 4 1/2 days, but only because I decided to spend one more night on the trail, otherwise it would have been 4. Have a great finish to the trail.

Kerosene
09-03-2008, 14:03
I'd shoot for 4 days, but perhaps only bring an extra meal as a contingency.

earlylight
09-03-2008, 21:30
Quoddy, everyone, thanks for the feedback.

I'm still going to shoot for 4 days, but bring along some extra calories in case I want to make this section last a bit longer. (This is a great excuse to miss my monday meetings!)

I did Jonesville to Johnson in just under 3 days (about 46 miles) and that was hard. Looking at the topo for this next section, it looks a lot easier than required on the previous one.

Big question on my mind now, is what should I hike next year. Hiking the LT has pushed me way beyond my previously known limits. Cohos? Maine AT? What even comes close to the difficulty, beauty and challenges of the LT, within a 4 hour drive of Boston?

-Philip

Askus3
09-04-2008, 00:36
Have you checked out my trip report for this section that I did southbound? Here is the link (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36640). Yes it was done as a series of dayhikes and we spread it out over 5 days but a relatively strong hiker can easily do it in 4 days. The first day from Journey's End to Jay Camp will be tough but after that the climbs are moderate and you should have no problem. The stretch from Spruce Ledge Camp south over Bowen & Butternut Mt. is rather dull but easy to traverse thus you should do good time thru this stretch. Make sure you take the .2 mile spur to the summit of Belvidere - a must excursion. If you have an extra day to kill, spend a day over in the Lake Willoughby area before going home. Mt. Pisgah & Mt. Hor are a blast and so scenic.

earlylight
09-04-2008, 23:14
Aaron,

Thanks for the pointer. That's a great trip report. Lots of detail and great photos. Just what I was looking for.

earlylight
09-14-2008, 22:31
just got back - my sobo took 4 days, from JEnd to Johnson. If I had been walking north, it probably would have taken 5 days.