PDA

View Full Version : Stay Seriously Dry with REI's eVent Fabric?

Summit
09-02-2008, 23:20
http://www.rei.com/features/REI_eVent.html

Could it be? This clothing is pricey with the jacket at $289 and the pants at $229. Who at WB will volunteer to buy, test, and report back to the rest of us? :)

TwoForty
09-03-2008, 00:05
I've tried them on in the stores, but I had problems with the zippers. I also had problems with the zippers with the Switchback parkas last year. Same zippers. It's also pretty heavy.

On the other hand, I've been using a RAB eVent Drillium since last summer and I practically live in it on the trail. Yes, I do wish it had pitzips, but it cool to cold weather, I haven't overheated it or felt sweaty yet. My old Frogg Toggs feel like a sauna in comparison.

I do a lot of hiking in bad weather and this has been the best investment I have made so far. eVent in general is awesome.

Cuffs
09-03-2008, 00:11
I got the latest REI sale flyer today and only skimmed thru it. Your post made me go back and look... at the price. Dang! "It vents so well, you dont even need pit zips." Hmmm, thats some futuristic fabric right thar! I sure hope its da bomb (and bomb proof) for that price! But! The hood is helmet compatible! That fo' sho' is worth the price!

FamilyGuy
09-03-2008, 00:35
I have not tried the REI eVent jacket, but have the Integral Designs Thru Hiker. It works. Really. The eVent fabric is completely waterproof and so breathable that you simply do not need pit zips.

Having said all that, the REI products are too heavy for the price. For a similar price both Rab (as indicated before) and ID, in particular, offer jackets that are 30-40% less weight for the same or less $$'s.....

Summit
09-03-2008, 07:02
The ID Thru-hiker at $240 and 9 oz. compared to the 18 oz. REI product does indeed look good. Thanks for the tip. Now I just need to wear out my Marmot Precip for an excuse to get one. :eek:

FamilyGuy
09-03-2008, 11:32
The ID Thru-hiker at $240 and 9 oz. compared to the 18 oz. REI product does indeed look good. Thanks for the tip. Now I just need to wear out my Marmot Precip for an excuse to get one. :eek:

That's what gear swap is all about :D

Kerosene
09-03-2008, 14:08
I have not tried the REI eVent jacket, but have the Integral Designs Thru Hiker. It works. Really. The eVent fabric is completely waterproof and so breathable that you simply do not need pit zips.I have the Integral Designs eVENT Rain Jacket, which is the original and someone lighter version of the Thru Hiker (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/appareldetail.cfm/ID1517). I found the jacket to be extremely breathable, although if the temperature is high enough I'd still like to see pitzips. I'd get the 11.5 ounce Thru Hiker over the 9.5 ounce Rain Jacket just to get the longer hem.

Summit
09-03-2008, 18:26
That's what gear swap is all about :DCool! I'll swap you my Precip for your ID ThruHiker! Deal . . . or . . . no deal? :D

NICKTHEGREEK
09-03-2008, 18:50
http://www.rei.com/features/REI_eVent.html

Could it be? This clothing is pricey with the jacket at $289 and the pants at $229. Who at WB will volunteer to buy, test, and report back to the rest of us? :)
Pricey? Compared to frog toggs yes, compared to dead bird (Arc'teryx) dirt cheap. E-Vent works pretty darn good. Love to see the quality and durability compared to Arcteryx done in Gore xcr.

Wise Old Owl
09-03-2008, 19:27
I still have the very pricey heavy Gortex Jacket from EMS I bought 8 years ago. The event jackets you are talking about are 8 oz heavier than than other laminate jackets. - I can't wear the old stuff out to pick up the new. Sierra and LLBean's rain jacket laminates were lighter & cheaper... Your money. If we were discussing Alaskan trips... GO buy it. For the AT - $60 Sierra Packable is more than enough.

NICKTHEGREEK
09-04-2008, 06:28
I still have the very pricey heavy Gortex Jacket from EMS I bought 8 years ago. The event jackets you are talking about are 8 oz heavier than than other laminate jackets. - I can't wear the old stuff out to pick up the new. Sierra and LLBean's rain jacket laminates were lighter & cheaper... Your money. If we were discussing Alaskan trips... GO buy it. For the AT - $60 Sierra Packable is more than enough.
How can anyone disagree with that?