PDA

View Full Version : tent sealing

dismalhiker
09-03-2008, 07:02
just got a tarp tent that needs resealing. i know the silicone mineral spirit that henery recomends. is that the best way to seal or is there a better way.? and how often should i have to seam seal it after i do it this time?

thanks for the input

Summit
09-03-2008, 07:07
Here's some products:

http://www.rei.com/search?query=seam+sealer&button.x=0&button.y=0

Silnet is the one most often mentioned around here, I believe. I have used it. The manufacturer's directions should tell you how often you need to reapply - every couple of years under normal usage. If doing a 'thru,' maybe one reapply half way thru.

Marta
09-03-2008, 07:09
Definitely use the recommended mixture. A friend of mine tried a premixed, water-based gunk that looked easier to her. Not a happy result. Most stuff will not stick to silnylon.

I resealed the seams and gave my Tarptents a light spraying with silicone waterproofing after 3 or four years of regular use.

bigcranky
09-03-2008, 07:34
Use the recommended silicone sealant. Mix it with mineral spirits (paint thinner) about 2:1 spirits to silicone. Stir for a while. Stir some more. (I use a 1-qt plastic takeout soup container -- you'll need to throw it away when you are done.) Stir more. Eventually, with a lot of stirring, you will have a smooth, thin paste, about the consistency of gravy.

I like to use a cheap .50 cent paint brush, since it, too, will be thrown away when done. I pour a little of the mixture into the lid from the soup container, then dip my brush and make sure that I only pick up a small amount. Starting at the top, paint the mixture into the seams, taking care to cover all the threads. As you run out of the mix, pour a little more into your lid. Be reasonably careful, but realize that you won't do a perfect job -- I try to err on the side of functionality rather than beauty, so my Tarptents look like slugs have been crawling all over them.

When finished with the outside, I like to paint stripes on the floor to keep my pad from sliding. The stripes are an inch wide and about 8 inches apart.

Don't do this in your living room. Not only are the fumes nasty, but if you drip silicone sealant on the rug, it won't ever come out. I've done it in the garage, but outdoors works best.

Tipi Walter
09-03-2008, 08:32
Here's some products:

http://www.rei.com/search?query=seam+sealer&button.x=0&button.y=0

Silnet is the one most often mentioned around here, I believe. I have used it. The manufacturer's directions should tell you how often you need to reapply - every couple of years under normal usage. If doing a 'thru,' maybe one reapply half way thru.

McNett's Silnet silicone seam sealer is perfect for the job. I used it on my Hilleberg dome tent and man it's nice!

buz
09-03-2008, 09:06
I did it exactly like big C, but with 3 to 1 by weight measure silicone to low odor mineral spirits. By weight measure, not volume. That was good for my seams, and I did both the outside and inside of the seams. After testing and using in heavy rain, the misting issue in my tent had me wanting better. So I simply did the whole fly on the outside with 3:1, and the floor inside as well. No more slipping, and I can't get the fly to mist anymore under the hose treatment. Added some weight, really don't care or didn't weigh, because it is now perfect in any weather.

Lyle
09-03-2008, 12:13
I have successfully used silicone windshield sealant, available at most any auto parts store. Didn't turn out the prettiest (maybe just my impatience is the cause of that) but it is effective and cheap. Get the stuff marked "flowable" My local NAPA dealer sold me two 1 oz tubes for about 5 bucks. I sealed both my "The One" and most of my Wild Oasis with just one tube.