PDA

View Full Version : If you had two weeks to prepare from scratch...

TronBlaster
03-11-2004, 01:10
...and free time and money were not an issue, could you? What would be the top priorities?

attroll
03-11-2004, 01:35
...and free time and money were not an issue, could you? What would be the top priorities?
Definately. I would leave next week if I could.

azchipka
03-11-2004, 01:41
I started preping in mid January....and i have been done for about two weeks and i had alot of money stuff i had to deal with so i could be gone. 2 weeks with no money issues to worry about...oh ya very very doable

A-Train
03-11-2004, 02:31
Not exactly sure what you are asking, but if you are referring to hiking the Trail again, the answer would not only be an emphatic "yes i would" but rather "I'm going to!". The PCT is a big priority for me in the next 2-3 years, probably after I graduate but another thru-hike sounds like a good possibility soon after that. Either a SOBO or a very late NOBO hike like mid may

chris
03-11-2004, 08:38
Two weeks would be no problem. First off, download the Companion from the ALDHA website and buy a hard copy as well. Use the download to help planning. Next, figure out where you might like to resupply. Again, just concentrate on south of Damascus for now. I like Walasi-Yi, NOC (Wesser), Fontana, Hot Springs, Erwin, Damascus. But, this might be long for you. You can break some of the legs up. By the time you get to Damascus, you'll have plenty of time to think about Virginia. Next, think about gear. There are lots of threads on this site about gear lists. Look over them to get an idea, keeping in mind that you want to buy as little new gear as possible. Use what you have. Debate with yourself the map question. I'd suggest getting maps for south of Damascus and then figuring out if you want more. You'll be able to get maps for the more northerly section as you progress.

Next, figure out how you'll get to Springer. If you are within 600 miles of Atlanta, hop a Greyhound to Gainesville, GA. Arrange for a shuttle to Amicalola (post something here and to the AT-L), Then, go. This last point is the most important one: GO.

Peaks
03-11-2004, 08:41
With only 2 weeks before hitting the trail, it's time to make airline or train reservations to get me to the trailhead.

Kerosene
03-11-2004, 09:39
TronBlaster:

For an experienced hiker with all of their equipment, the hard part is getting to the trailhead (and perhaps getting back when you're finished).
I'd book a flight if needed and arrange ground transport first. Next, I would get my hands on the appropriate guidebook(s) and map(s). Then, I would pull together food to take me to the first resupply point. If I was out for more than a week, I'd throw a bunch of stuff in a bounce box and send it to a post office about a week or so down the trail.It's a little bit harder if you're starting without equipment...okay, it's a lot harder, especially if you've never done any long-distance hiking before. You'll have to place yourself at the mercy of some outfitter, because you don't have time to do the research and order your gear of choice. I think this is probably the biggest reason that people start out with 50+ pound loads. Plus, without money as much of a constraining factor, you'll end up buying the more expensive and frequently heavier stuff pushed by the outfitter "just to be safe". Get your boots first, then sleeping bag and mattress, backpack, tent, stove, kitchen stuff, and on down the line. In some ways, it would be better to focus on getting the right boots and breaking them in, then copying some experienced hiker's packing list. Regardless, you'd want to start out slow and adjust several times that first day/week/month. Not pretty.

Jaybird
03-11-2004, 10:10

Man...if i could only live in that world for a few years!

...but, since its a hypothetical question....i'd jump in my car & head to the Springer TODAY! :D

(i've got my backpack, boots, trek poles in my car now.)

hungryhowie
03-11-2004, 10:26

I worked at an outfitter after returning from my thruhike. One day, this fellow walks in and says he's going to go hike the AT. We start talking; he has some gear, a general idea of what the AT is, and is leaving tomorrow.

After he left that day, I didn't think he would last a week (actually, I didn't think he would even make it to the trail). I saw him at Traildays in May, when he had 800 miles under his belt. "Hey! Hungry Howie! Remember me?!?" He came back into the store later that year to let me know he had completed his hike.

-Howie

Grampie
03-11-2004, 10:51
It's not as hard as it seems. But, of coarse you would have to know a little about what you were getting into, but even if you didn't I'd advise the following:
I would buy Wingfoots book The Thru-Hiker's Planning Guide and The Thru-Hikers Handbook. These two books will provide all the information you will need to prepare you for a thru-hike.
I would not bother with mail drops, bounce boxes. They are not needed.
As soon as you get the books, read them and decide on what gear you will need. Use Wingfoots advise and you wont be very wrong. Buy your gear. You already have a start date, so arrange for some transportation.
Once you have all your gear. Load up your pack with it all. Put in food for four days, about 2 ltrs. of water, hike a little and simulate setting up camp. Put up your shelter and cook a meal. Do this to get the basic understanding of what you are in for.
It worked for me. :cool:

max patch
03-11-2004, 11:41

I gave notice at work, and as I worked out my notice I did all my planning and gear changes at night and weekends over that 2 week period.

And...this was before the internet existed and I had no idea that the Philosphers Guide (the original Thru-Hikers Handbook / Companion) even existed until I saw one at Rainbow Springs Campground.

When I left I knew where my first 2 food resupplies would be; all the rest I figured out as I went. Planning is fun and interesting but is not necessary; if I could do it I'm sure anyone else could.

walkon
03-11-2004, 12:28
give me 1/2 hour and im gone. 20 minutes to pack and 10minutes for "fist pumping".
actually, make that 15 to pack, 15 fist pump.
walkon

Doctari
03-11-2004, 13:34
If money warnt nary an issue, I could leave today!

But as you are serious:
All: Break in your boots. Get W/Fs book & any others you want, read them from cover to cover. Break in your boots. Buy travelers checks, parcel them out to what ever mail drops you plan on. Break in your boots. Set up someone to call (one or more) in case of emergency. Break in your boots. And finally: Break in your boots.
Newbie, with no hiking gear: The "big 3" Shelter, sleeping bag & Pack. Figure out what you want, see if it's avalable. Get a GOOD stove (if you are going to cook, some don't) I use a "Pepsi" Alcohol stove, check the gear reviews here for ideas. Start breaking in your shoes/boots NOW, as in put them on as you are reading this then sign off & go for a long walk. Get food for the first 4 days. Have a nice hike. I could most probably do that, start from scratch, in less than 3 days, plus shipping time for mail order gear.
With gear; leave now, you are done. Well,,,,, check all your gear out, is something been in your pack for years but never used? Throw it out! check pack, tent etc for undue wear, repair/replace as needed. do you need anything spare to have at home for just in case? And other advice here on white blaze, after all you have 2 weeks. Take long walks around the block, or run. Get in as good of shape as you can without killing yourself.

After all, it's only hiking.

Doctari.

azchipka
03-11-2004, 13:44

Tron,

Something to keep in mind on this is i would guess about 75% of us, have our pack and stuff sitting pre-packed and ready to row on a moments notice. Some of us even have it in our car.

Heck mine even has five days of food in it. Would just have to stop and pick up perishable, and get to the trail.

Kozmic Zian
03-11-2004, 15:04
;) Yea....Readiness. IMHO, it depends on one's degree of 'rediness to hike'. Like Azchipka, suggested, some of us are REALLY ready. Pack in car, loaded as to Thru-Hike and ready to go! I know mine always is. Only thing I need is food for a few days and I'm gone. If money were no prob, and the timing was right (no domestic, family, work issues), I'd leave manana, mine freres. KZ@

Glee
03-11-2004, 15:45
I would buy Wingfoots book The Thru-Hiker's Planning Guide and The Thru-Hikers Handbook. These two books will provide all the information you will need to prepare you for a thru-hike.

I've hear some cons and pro's about the WF book. If there is a better book then his could someone recommend it. I've been to his website but I'm only going to get his opinion and he seems to be really one sided on everything.. Or if The Thru-Hiker's Planning Guide is better and would be enough and where can I get it.
Thanks

azchipka
03-11-2004, 16:10

I've hear some cons and pro's about the WF book. If there is a better book then his could someone recommend it. I've been to his website but I'm only going to get his opinion and he seems to be really one sided on everything.. Or if The Thru-Hiker's Planning Guide is better and would be enough and where can I get it.
Thanks

I have found the combination of the Data Book, Thru-Hikers' Companion where more then enough. Both can be found the the ATC web store.

I have personaly decided against using wingfoots book.

hungryhowie
03-11-2004, 21:48
Personally, I don't think you'll go wrong with either of the major guidebooks (Thruhiker's Handbook or Companion). Both are regularly updated, and provide as accurate of information as you'll be able to get. There will be a certain number of typos and changes in each book that were overlooked of that happened after publication, but these are generally FEW and FAR between.

The advantage of the Thruhiker's Handbook is that you'll get comprehensive trail AND town information all in one publication...which in my opinion is very nice. The advantage to the Companion is that the information is collected and verified by many different people who specialize in specific locations.

If you decide to go with the Thruhiker's Handbook, I think that is the only book publication that you'll need. If you want to go the Companion route, I'd recommend the AT Databook to go along with it.

I used the Companion/Databook combo on my thruhike in 2000, but only because WF didn't publish a Handbook that year. If I were to hike again, I'd probably choose WF's book over the other two simply because of convenience. But like I said, I don't think you'll go wrong with either.

-Howie

tribes
03-11-2004, 21:58
give me 1/2 hour and im gone. 20 minutes to pack and 10minutes for "fist pumping".
actually, make that 15 to pack, 15 fist pump.
walkon

I'm with you.....gimme about a half hour to get my pack together and we can split a cab from Atlanta as money is not an issue. :clap

Noggin
03-11-2004, 22:53
Starting "from scratch" meaning no gear? Money no object? Piece of cake.

Day one: Order the best gear money can buy (finally, Western Mountaineering bags!). Ship next-day or second-day delivery.

Day two: Pull together food that can't be found easily in trail towns. Arrange maildrops. Pay all bills ahead next 7 months.

Day three: Unpack and pack new gear arriving UPS/FedEx.

Day four: Head out.

Grampie
03-12-2004, 10:06
What I liked about Wingfoots Thru-Hiker's Planning Guide is that he gives the pros & cons on different types of gear and lets the reader decide. I took the advise, in the guide, and planned my thru. I made very few equiptment mistakes, compared to other hikers I met.

mountaineer
03-12-2004, 10:31
It is interesting to me that so many of you have your pack ready to go, and even in your car "just in case"... my first thru-hike will be next year, and I wonder if when you are done and back to civilization, you have a hard time leaving your pack behind when you go out, even just going out to the store, because it becomes so crucial to you for 6 months.

Footslogger
03-12-2004, 15:16
I'd set my start date for March 2005

Twofiddy
03-14-2004, 15:49

This is easy!!

Setup online bill payment with your bank.
Get a credit card.
Purchase Gear.
Arrainge ride to Springer.

Start Hiking!

Maildrops and all that other planning stuff is not really necessary.

Undetermined
03-15-2004, 17:10
Sumac and I started planning our hike last year around the 1st of March and left Canada to drive to Georgia around March 21, so we had about 3 total weeks of planning. However, we planned and finished the trip on a very tight budget, so you don't need a lot of money to do the trip with a short amount of planning. Of course, at the time neither of us were working so we had a lot of time to devote to preparations.

Undetermined