PDA

View Full Version : Maine Conditions?

dessertrat
09-03-2008, 08:48
How is Maine looking right now for an early October hike? (I know, a lot can change in a month). I am thinking of doing Monson to Katahdin, and I have heard about the massive rains of this summer. Has it dried out at all? What's the long range forecast say?

boarstone
09-03-2008, 18:15
Right now it's fine, water levels have been at their normal low level for weeks. Bugs are gone, October brings bird season so expect to hear shotguns going off (if lucky). So don't panick, they won't be near you, just sound that way, the hills/valleys echo sound well in the fall....it's a great time to go, leaves off the trees, bull moose on the hunt for his mate(s)....it'll be quiet, leaves will be crispy and the nights very cool if not down right cold....be prepared..

Kirby
09-03-2008, 19:33
No matter what, the 100 Mile Wilderness will be absolutely amazing that time of the year, enjoy.

The mud might be an issue, it always is in Maine. By the time trail conditions dry out, snow starts to fly.

Kirby

surfster
09-09-2008, 19:59
I just finished Monson to Abol Bridge 10 days ago and have a trail report half done. I will post it tonight. If you have any questions beyond what the report states, let me know.

The Scribe
09-09-2008, 20:40
Monson got 2-3 inches of rain Sat night last weekend. Better than the coast that got 6-7. Remnants of one of the hurricanes I think. We were in Monson Saturday (dropping off stuff for the World Famous Whiteblaze Hiker Feed this coming weekend), up to Greenville, then back through on Sunday.

Uncle Tom
09-17-2008, 16:12
I was just up from Long Falls Dam Road to Monson. Lots of mud pits and water still in that 56 mile section. The water levels at both East and West branches of Piscataquis Stream were high enough to require actual fording. Last year you could just walk across both places on top of the rocks. Not too bad though. Will get a freeze or a frost tonight up there. Still the best time to hike in that area, in my opinion, but I like the cold. If you go in early Oct. you get peak foliage, which is not to be missed.

dessertrat
09-17-2008, 16:35
I am looking at the Columbus day weekend and into the week following to hike through there, unless a lot of rain is forecast, in which case I might take a chance on waiting another week in the hopes of clearer (but colder) weather.

boarstone
09-28-2008, 13:48
I am looking at the Columbus day weekend and into the week following to hike through there, unless a lot of rain is forecast, in which case I might take a chance on waiting another week in the hopes of clearer (but colder) weather.

Guess what! I think you just might want to wait on that hiking trip...we're in your bracket of "a lota' rain"......:D

JAK
09-28-2008, 13:57
Hurricane hitting the Bay of Fundy tonight. Not sure what effect that will have on the AT. I would think lots of rain and wind on the coast but maybe some cold air coming down from Quebec on the AT.

rafe
09-28-2008, 14:13
It's been a very wet weekend in eastern MA. The kind of weather that makes me say, "Glad I'm not hiking in this sch!tt."

Kirby
09-29-2008, 06:47
It was raining hard in DC.

Kirby

Uncle Tom
10-05-2008, 10:32
I just got out yesterday, on a 50 mile section from Crawford Pond to Abol Bridge. I had wet feet for all the three days I was hiking out. It was laughably wet. The colors in the trees are peak, there were no mosquitos or black flies, there were NO section hikers out there but me. It gets light at 6:15 AM , pitch black at 7 pm. You sure don't need to carry any water, can stop and dip just about everywhere. I went into Katahdin Stream campground at 3 pm yesterday ( Saturday). There was just one car in the day lot, 1 tent only in sight, and many empty lean-tos. There were only 2 cold thru-hikers at the Birches. Everyone was in town waiting to get back to summit, and the AT from KS campground has been closed the last three days. I saw either snow /ice, or both from the view from Rainbow Ledges. I will have a complete writeup of my trup on my blog, I have day 1 on there already at http://tjamrog.wordpress.com

weary
10-05-2008, 10:52
I just got out yesterday, on a 50 mile section from Crawford Pond to Abol Bridge. I had wet feet for all the three days I was hiking out. It was laughably wet. The colors in the trees are peak, there were no mosquitos or black flies, there were NO section hikers out there but me. It gets light at 6:15 AM , pitch black at 7 pm. You sure don't need to carry any water, can stop and dip just about everywhere. I went into Katahdin Stream campground at 3 pm yesterday ( Saturday). There was just one car in the day lot, 1 tent only in sight, and many empty lean-tos. There were only 2 cold thru-hikers at the Birches. Everyone was in town waiting to get back to summit, and the AT from KS campground has been closed the last three days. I saw either snow /ice, or both from the view from Rainbow Ledges. I will have a complete writeup of my trup on my blog, I have day 1 on there already at http://tjamrog.wordpress.com
http://www.katahdincam.com/
Open the site, a live camera view of Katahdin, with a look of snow on the summit ridges.

Weary

squirrel bait
10-05-2008, 10:57
NICE. Thanks weary. One more for the favorites.

dessertrat
10-05-2008, 14:02
It is flat out beautiful right now, though! That Katahdin Cam has given me some of the nicest views of the mountain I have ever seen.

As I mentioned on another thread, I pulled a leg muscle, so will probably not make it to Maine this year. It will be there next year. I will most likely hike somewhere in Virginia in a week or two, once the leg gets better.

boarstone
10-22-2008, 16:54
If anyone is interested, it snowed here this afternoon, was up in K.I. around Little Lyford Pond area, snowing there hard. No birds, no moose, no nothing.

mudhead
10-22-2008, 20:00
The county got a good dose of snow.

Hope the bugs were not too bad for you today!

Kirby
10-22-2008, 21:10
Nothin' here in Cumberland county.

Kirby

Brodels
10-22-2008, 22:08
Yeah, sucked to see the snow this morning on the way to work. It seems to be mostly gone now, but damn it's cold.

The county got a good dose of snow.

Hope the bugs were not too bad for you today!