PDA

View Full Version : How much should I donate?

MyName1sMud
09-03-2008, 12:02
trying to decide on what's a good donation amount? I didn't wanna short change anyone1

the goat
09-03-2008, 12:18
it depends: donate to what?

weary
09-03-2008, 12:22
trying to decide on what's a good donation amount? I didn't wanna short change anyone1
Donation to who? You should join the Appalachian Trail Conservancy and add whatever is comfortable. ATC always lacks the money needed to do the job it is committed to doing.

There are also 30 or so maintaining club, most of which are perennially short of money.

Then there is the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust, which is trying to keep the trail in Maine reasonably wild, now that the surrounding land is mostly owned by developers.

I think that is the most critical need. Maintenance can always be done later. But once the condos are built, they will remain forever. The threat is real and growing.

Weary www.matlt.org

Hooch
09-03-2008, 12:25
I'm pretty sure that he's speaking of a good amount to become a donating member here at WB. If I'm worong, then so be it. The answer, inabsentia of condascending remarks, is that it takes a minimum donation of $10. Give more if you feel that it's worth it to you and can afford a few extra bucks.

MyName1sMud
09-03-2008, 13:57
Sounds good! Thanks Hooch. That is what I was talking about.

weary... what are some maintaining clubs that I could get in touch with? I would like to help out the cause. I have always wondered where I could get in touch with a group of people that do maintance work on the AT. I wouldn't mind lending a helping hand.

Kerosene
09-03-2008, 14:00
I assumed that he was asking about a WB donation also. I'd recommend a $20 annual donation; more for aspiring thru-hikers looking to mine the site, less for the young, poor, casual aficionado who just wants to stay connected with the hiking community.

Blissful
09-03-2008, 14:45
Donate what you want. No one is counting...

MyName1sMud
09-03-2008, 15:02
Donate what you want. No one is counting...

love that AV man!

Jack Tarlin
09-03-2008, 15:14
JShoes:

If you go the ATC website at www.appalachiantrail.org, you'll see a separate section called "Volunteer." If you click on that, you'll find a section on trail Maintaining Clubs, with contact information for each. And thank you for doing this!

weary
09-03-2008, 15:38
Trail maintenance is a multi-faceted effort. Most maintaining clubs assign a single person or group to each 1-8 mile section of trail. Those persons and groups in turn either do the basic work themselves or recruit neighbors, friends, scout group, school groups, members, whoever to help.

In addition some maintaining clubs -- such as AMC -- have professional crews do muct of the trail work, though AMC has an active volunteer group that maintains the AT and other trails.

Finally some maintaining clubs have profesionally-lead volunteer crews that do more complicated tasks.

The latter seek volunteers to spend a week or more helping to build and protect the Appalachian National Scenic Trail, America's premier long-distance footpath. No previous trail experience is necessary - just a desire to work hard, live in the backcountry and have a great time among friends.

Trail Crews tackle large-scale projects such as trail relocations, rehabilitation and bridge and shelter construction. Projects are planned and completed in cooperation with AT maintaining clubs and agency partners such as the National Park Service and the US Forest Service.

Programs this year included; Konnarock Crew (May 8–August 16) Konnarock is ATC's flagship crew program, named after its original base camp in southwest Virginia. Originating in 1983, it covers the Appalachian Trail from Rockfish Gap in Virginia, near Waynesboro, to the Trail's southern terminus at Springer Mountain in Georgia. The program is a joint venture among ATC, the 12 southern Trail clubs, the U.S. Forest Service's southern region, and the National Park Service.

Maine Trail Crew (June 7–August 6) The Maine crew, sponsored by the Maine Appalachian Trail Club, ATC, the National Park Service, and Maine Conservation Corps is based in central Maine. Projects are located along 280 miles of the A.T. in the scenic Maine woods, and most involve reconstruction and rock work. The crew achieves great success through a combination of long-term MCC members and week-long volunteers. Projects are supervised by crew leaders under the direction of modern trail-work pioneer Lester Kenway.

Vermont Long Trail Patrol (July 28–September 26) The Long Trail Patrol is sponsored jointly by the Green Mountain Club, ATC, the National Park Service, and the U.S. Forest Service. The crew works on heavy construction projects on hiking trails in Vermont, including the coaligned Appalachian Trail and Long Trail.

Mid-Atlantic Crew (September 4–October 27). The Mid-Atlantic crew works on the AT from Rockfish Gap in Virginia to the New York – Connecticut line. The crew is sponsored by AT clubs of the Mid Atlantic region, the National Park Service, and ATC.

Rocky Top Crew (September 3–October 27) The Rocky Top crew works exclusively on 70 miles of the A.T. through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park following the ridge crest from Davenport Gap to Fontana Dam. The crew is sponsored jointly by the Smoky Mountains Hiking Club, the National Park Service, and ATC.

Smokies Wilderness Elite A.T. Crew (SWEAT) (June 9 - August 18) The Smokies Wilderness Elite AT crew (SWEAT) is something completely different than other ATC trail crews. Instead of focusing on heavy construction projects, this crew will complete much-needed maintenance in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

A.T. Trail Crew Alumni: Contact us at [email protected] for an alumni application.

Other opportunities
Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts. The Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) sponsors two volunteer trail crews that work on the Appalachian Trail. AMC-Berkshire's crew works on the Appalachian Trail in Massachusetts. AMC's White Mountain crew works on the Appalachian Trail and other trails in New Hampshire and southern Maine. More information is available at the AMC Web site.

The Potomac Appalachian Trail Club
The Potomac Appalachian Trail Club manages volunteer trail crews to work in Shenandoah National Park and the George Washington and Jefferson National Forests between May and mid-September.

All the programs are winding down for the 2008 season.

The ATC web site will have plenty of information for the 2009 season by early 2009.

Weary

Lybarger
09-03-2008, 17:12
Along the same lines, how much should I donate to a hostel for a nights stay?

Jack Tarlin
09-03-2008, 17:21
Very few are by donation only anymore, and a lot of those closed.

Most of the places that do operate on a donation basis get ripped off horribly.

If there's a sign on the wall that lists the requested donation, pay it, and if you're able, throw in a bit extra. If it isn't listed, give them at least ten bucks, more if you can afford it. And donate your time as well as your money, i.e. help out with chores, cleaning, etc. If there's an attendant present or someone who runs the place, ask them if they need help with anything. Most places that seem to run on "donations" actually require more than this, as in most cases, the ammount collected is insufficient to run the facility.

MyName1sMud
09-03-2008, 17:23
Thanks for the post Weary! You help me out a lot on here it seems like! My book you told me about still hasn't come in :(

Frau
09-03-2008, 17:31
Natural Bridge AT Club takes care of this area, around the JAMES River and down to the Roanoke area club.

Frau

Kirby
09-03-2008, 20:17
I'm going to start becoming active in the MATC. That club needs some youth to help ensure the long term stability of the club.

And their website needs to be modernized,
Kirby

MyName1sMud
09-03-2008, 20:36
I'm going to start becoming active in the MATC. That club needs some youth to help ensure the long term stability of the club.

Kirby

props to ya. I need to get into one of them. just gotta pick out the closet one to the start of the trail. as being I am in MS

KG4FAM
09-03-2008, 20:56
props to ya. I need to get into one of them. just gotta pick out the closet one to the start of the trail. as being I am in MSThe closest to you is the Georgia ATC, but you may want to look into the Pinhoti to do work. That way you wouldn't be burning up as many dollars to get someplace to give away work.

BigToe
09-03-2008, 21:04
Hi Jason,

I think about the value received here on WhiteBlaze from the accumulated wisdom and experience of other members, along with the archiving of many articles and learnings. For me, there is a real dollar value attached to getting the right gear and packing properly to enjoy my hikes. I never have a problem rationalizing my donations this way and know that in fact I've saved time/money.

Thanks for reminding me - I think I need to check my last contribution and freshen up!

TwoForty
09-03-2008, 21:10
I don't think I've ever donated moeny because I don't trust the NPS/USFS with it.

If you can, donate some time volunteering on the trail. That makes a direct impact.

MyName1sMud
09-03-2008, 21:14
The closest to you is the Georgia ATC, but you may want to look into the Pinhoti to do work. That way you wouldn't be burning up as many dollars to get someplace to give away work.

I might look into that Pinhoti... how long is that trail anyway? Never really could find a exact mileage number.

weary
09-04-2008, 09:37
I don't think I've ever donated moeny because I don't trust the NPS/USFS with it.

If you can, donate some time volunteering on the trail. That makes a direct impact.
The NPS/USFS have no significant control over the money you donate to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy or to any of the 30 maintaining clubs. As owners of the land the federal agencies have general rules about what can be done to the land, but in 35 years as a member of MATC, I can't recall anytime that the park service prohibited us from doing something we wanted to do.

Certainly money donated to the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust is under absolutely no control of the federal agencies. We simply negotiate with private land owners to buy buffers to the narrow trail corridor through the state.

Our big project so far has been to buy an adjacent mountain to the trail, near Saddleback. We presently are negotiating for land to buffer other sections of the trail in the area.

It's a long slow process to work out a fair price, raise the money, and complete a purchase. But it is critical that it be done.

Land near the trail that until a decade ago was dedicated to growing trees, is now owned by developers. The business slump of recent years has given us a bit of breathing room. Our critical need remains money.

Weary www.matlt.org

NICKTHEGREEK
09-04-2008, 09:39
One Kidney now, donor card the rest.

MOWGLI
09-07-2008, 08:03

Kirby

Bravo Kirby!