PDA

View Full Version : shoes, soles and slipping on wet rocks.

zammy
03-11-2004, 04:34
While training for my thru hike I slipped on a wet rock (no rain at that time) and sprained my ankle.
What kind of shoes\soles should I use that grip wet surfaces? I wore NB 651 old model. (not for tennis) I also train with the NB806 .
Any comments on that risk?

chris
03-11-2004, 08:44
New Balance shoes have very bad traction indeed. Not only is the pattern of the sole not very aggressive, but the rubber used seems to be harder than normal. This gives the bottom of your feet a lot of protection, but also makes it difficult to friction on rock. I much prefer something like the Asics Eagle Trail or Gel Trabuco. The first is very aggressive, the second much less. Traction is good on both, with a distinct nod to the Eagle. Asics has a new shoe out called the 1090 or something, which looks like the Eagle Trail but is about $20 cheaper. I'm going to try a pair out this summer. The Brooks Trespass is another good shoe, but I haven't put enough miles on my pair to offer a final opinion yet.

hungryhowie
03-11-2004, 10:10
While training for my thru hike I slipped on a wet rock (no rain at that time) and sprained my ankle.
What kind of shoes\soles should I use that grip wet surfaces? I wore NB 651 old model. (not for tennis) I also train with the NB806 .

The best advice I can give you is to watch where you step. A thruhike will help you develop a keen sense of balance and teach you how to "dance" on the rocks. I usually recommend that 1st time thruhikers start out with boots that provide some ankle support. Coming from the world of jobs, most people aren't used to throwing an extra 20-40lbs on their weak ankles and manuvering over rock & root strewn trails. A prime time to switch to trail runners is when you lighten your pack to your summer gear, and have 500-700 miles on your ankles.

As far as wet grip is concerned, any gripping difference between brands is fairly negligible. I've sliped on wet rocks wearing any brand I've ever worn. Remember the old adage an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure? Well, watching out where you step will protect your ankles a lot more than merely trusting the shoe.

I always carry an ace bandage with me. They weigh only about 1-2oz, and can be used for a multitude of problems. I've never had to use one, thank goodness, but several of my hiking buddies have appreciated it over the years.

Have a great hike!

-Howie

Jaybird
03-11-2004, 10:47

Yo Zammy:

probably don't wanna hear this one...BUT, welcome to the world of "weak ankles"...once you break, or sprain an ankle (i've been told by a Doctor) you'll need to "take extra care" & provide extra support for them.

the New Balance 806 trail-runners/cross trainers are what they are a "good running shoe" that can double as a trail shoe...but, when you're facing boulders, sharp rocks, steep ascents & descents....go with a mid-weight boot...& watch where you step! hehehehehehe

you won't be sorry! :p

walkon
03-11-2004, 13:14
i recommend 5.10 access shoes, stealth(climbing) rubber soles on a trail runner. super grippy when wet, dry, vertical, horizontal, etc....
walkon
ps- they are a funny fit, they fit me like a glove but dont fit others well. just like any other shoe i guess.

Blue Jay
03-11-2004, 13:36
probably don't wanna hear this one...BUT, welcome to the world of "weak ankles"...once you break, or sprain an ankle (i've been told by a Doctor) you'll need to "take extra care" & provide extra support for them.

Actually what you need to do is build strong ankles. All the "support" in the world does nothing. What holds your ankles up is your ankles, you can break them in the most solid frankenstein boots. You need side to side exercise such as step aerobics or roller bladeing. Walking, running and biking do nothing for the parts of your ankles you stress on the trail. It amazes me that so few figure this one out. They always try to take the lazy way out by buying a pair of shoes and expect them to cure "weak ankles" or take extra care. Walking the AT is hardly a way to take extra care, in fact I'd say it is clearly the opposite. Take extra exercise.