PDA

View Full Version : Travel Plans

bigboots
09-03-2008, 20:21
Looking ahead, I have most of my gear ready to roll for an early March start. The only thing I have left is which method of transportation to get to Springer. This will most likely decide my exact start date.
What's everyone else's plans for travel to the start?

6 months to go! :banana

KG4FAM
09-03-2008, 20:33
Coming from Ohio I would just fly. Then take the Marta up to the north side of Atlanta The Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega is the way to go for everything from the Marta station to the trailhead. The can take care of anything that you need and are real friendly folks who have hiked the trail and can give last minuite advice.

Mr HaHa
09-03-2008, 21:05
You are young. About 21 hours on the bus from Akron to Dahlonega Ga. $59.00 booked in advance as of this past spring. Just consider it the start of the adventure. On arrival at Dahlonega you can catch a cab directly to Springer or having made prior arrangements stay at the hiker hostle. Suit yourself,either way is fine. After 20 some hours in the Grayhound system the trail is a welcome blessing! However you choose to get to the trail you are in for a great time! Have fun.

keifers13
09-03-2008, 21:14
I'll be heading out from Cincinnati the first week of March as well and I'm taking Greyhound. It seems to be the easiest and cheapest way to get from Cincinnati to Springer Mtn.

Monkeywrench
09-04-2008, 08:15
I figure on either flying from Boston to Atlanta then taking MARTA to North Springs, or taking Amtrak from Boston to Gainesville. Then I'll probably have the Hiker Hostel pick me up.

Right now it looks like flying will be cheaper, and obviously it's faster, but flying presents the hassle of not being able to carry certain things with me. Amtrak is lots slower but more comfortable, and I can pack whatever I wish and not worry about having things confiscated by security.

smaaax
09-04-2008, 20:16
Greyhound cancelled their advanced purchase tickets last I looked, it was cheaper for me to fly. Flying with a pack can suck if they mess with it.