PDA

View Full Version : Merino shirts

bkrownd
09-03-2008, 20:27
I'm wondering about everyone's experience with the durability of the currently available light merino wool shirts from different manufacturers. I ordered a couple of Smartwool "rambidextrous" (sp) shirts. They're comparable in thickness to some of my polyester shirts. I noticed that they fuzzed out a bit on the first wash, not to say that that's a problem, but it did prompt me to wonder about what to expect for the long-term durabiliity of them, and if there are some shirts that are more durable than others? Do some fuzz out and pill more than others? The polyester wicking shirts are very cheap, but these wool ones are quite an investment.

SteveJ
09-03-2008, 23:28
I picked up one at S&C a few months ago... Wore it for the first time on a trip to Shining Rock last month. Was glad I had it on when we finished up in the rain, and I hadn't brought a jacket or even a long-sleeved shirt - just a poly short sleeve shirt to sleep in. Even though it was wet, it kept me warm.

It survived it's first wash. Went through a cold, gentle cycle (twice), then line dry. No pilling, just stained from some pine sap I got on it which didn't wash out.....

Egads
09-04-2008, 06:53
No issues washing my Smartwool shirts. I have one going on it's third season. My others still look new.

bkrownd
09-09-2008, 01:54
It isn't as much the washing I'm worried about as the overall wear. I'll be using them once or twice a week each. Since they fuzzed out fast, which polyester shirts don't do much of, I was wondering how long they'd last.

Jim Adams
09-09-2008, 02:04
They may be more expensive than polyester but the difference in comfort and performance is incredible. I think you'll like them.

geek

rubyvermonter
09-09-2008, 12:31
I have three smartwool shirts and wear the short sleeved ones in the summer and the long sleeved on in the winter. I have not had the problem you've described. I don't put them in the clothes dryer but let them air dry.

RubyVermonter

Mags
09-09-2008, 17:30
I use this shirt for ski touring. Pretty heavy use over the winter. I've been very pleased:

http://www.minus33.com/minus33ziptops.htm

(They were via an Amazon gift certificate..otherwise I'd not have splurged. :) )

ChinMusic
09-09-2008, 17:34
I am a HUGE fan of Icebreaker www.icebreaker.com (http://www.icebreaker.com) stuff.

I find their tops to hold up very well. They are comfortable at a WIDE range of temperatures, don't itch, and are impossible (at least my experience) to make stink. For that reason alone they are a winner. Since I have totally switched over to merino wool socks, on and off the trail, even my tennis shoes have no odor.....not kidding.

Try one top like the Icebreaker Hopper and you won't go back. http://www.icebreaker.com/site/icebreaker_man_superfine190_hopper.html

bkrownd
09-15-2008, 18:14
Here's an interesting thing that occurred yesterday. When I sweat into this Smartwool shirt the musky sheep odor of the shirt becomes very strong. Yesterday the area I was in was in the path of the volcanic plume ("vog") all day, and the particular combination of the sulfury taste of the vog and the musky-sulfury smell of the shirt was incredibly unpleasant! Eeew!

Odd that I've never detected an odor like this from my Smartwool socks!

Blissful
09-15-2008, 21:25
My hubby's smartwool sported a big size hole after two weeks. We returned it. Mine however held up the entire hike last year and I plan to use it again. Go figure. But mine has also started to itch some.

gonewalkabout
09-19-2008, 11:37
I believe wool is better than synthetics in regards to wearing day after day with less odor and that it is feels less clamy next to my skin. I also belive it is more bereathable. I owned three Ibex shirts. The first had a hole in after wearing it twice. They replaced it. The seocnd I put at least 1000 miles on it. A little under 300 miles of which were on the Long Trail wearing it every day and to bed at night. Washed it twice it never smelled (it was October and November). Last year I was taking it off and my fingers tore through it. I have an identical shirt with less miles on it that did the same thing. I know others who have had similar problemswith Ibex.

Any of the synthetics I wear stink before the days half over. So still looking for good wool.