PDA

View Full Version : SOBOers.

TRIP08
09-04-2008, 15:22
Man, I really feel waaayyy behind all other SOBOs. (I'm just about ready to cross the border into Vermont.

Anyone other SOBOs this far back?)

Pedaling Fool
09-04-2008, 15:30
I was a NOBO'er in 2006 and remember seeing SOBO'ers around this timeframe, at which time I was in NH, near the Whites.

Sometimes you can feel all alone even though there are hikers all around you, it's a neat feeling when you think you're all by yourself and then all of a sudden you run into some fellow hikers. You'll see them eventually.

KG4FAM
09-04-2008, 15:42
Its good to see that you are still going. You are starting to get into what a SOBO is really like. Back in 06 when I hiked from Katahdin to Rutland I started mid July and the biggest group of SOBOs that I was part of was 4. The total that I saw was 5.

Grizzly Bear

TRIP08
09-04-2008, 16:28
Its good to see that you are still going.

Well, thanks. I was just looking back on all my old posts on issues with being overweight and had to laugh. Forgot that problem at the end of the hundred mile wilderness.

You are starting to get into what a SOBO is really like.

I'm assuming you're talking about the SOBO = SOLO equation.

Jack Tarlin
09-04-2008, 16:31
Actually, there were several other Littlebeards in Hanover today, so there are certainly other SOBO's out there, and probably a few more yet to arrive. It's late in the season, but there are definitely folks still coming. Enjoy Vermont!

TRIP08
09-04-2008, 16:39
Actually, there were several other Littlebeards in Hanover today, so there are certainly other SOBO's out there, and probably a few more yet to arrive. It's late in the season, but there are definitely folks still coming. Enjoy Vermont!

Littlebeards, ha-ha. That's a great description. Hmm...I'm hanging out in Hanover. Visited the computers and the free pizza. Where else would they be?

chiefdaddy
09-04-2008, 21:08
little beards... love that!!! Ahhh Hanover and the free pizza slice, one of the few good things there besides a young lady I met.

Kirby
09-04-2008, 21:21
I remember the first SOBO I met, she was a snobby German woman. The second one was a nice female I met with Cookie on the ascent of Mousilauke.

Kirby

Red Hat
09-04-2008, 21:46
Actually, Kirby, Alpine Stider isn't all that snobby. She hikes fast, just like you do, and probably didn't have a lot of time to visit.

Sallie, or Murphy, or whatever your name is now (grin), I'll never forget climbing Katahdin with you that day... or the day you were leaving at Abol campground... can't wait to see you again after your hike and talk about it.

hammock engineer
09-04-2008, 23:58
You are not far, a matter of days, I was at last year southbound. It really thins out though. I was still meeting southbounders just before the smokies. I would recommend hooking up with some to hike with when you see them or you might spend more time alone than you want. The problem with that for me was the people that caught me were always moving too fast and the people I would catch were too slow.

Enjoy. If it helps I finished Jan 20th after a week off for ankle injury and lots of slow days and zeros towards the end. Stock up on the cold weather and rain gear and enjoy.

TRIP08
09-05-2008, 12:53
Actually, Kirby, Alpine Stider isn't all that snobby. She hikes fast, just like you do, and probably didn't have a lot of time to visit.

Sallie, or Murphy, or whatever your name is now (grin), I'll never forget climbing Katahdin with you that day... or the day you were leaving at Abol campground... can't wait to see you again after your hike and talk about it.

Hi Red Hat, I forgot to tell you that I was officially dubbed by Kelly (Browntoe) as Trip.

TRIP08
09-05-2008, 12:56
You are not far, a matter of days, I was at last year southbound. It really thins out though. I was still meeting southbounders just before the smokies. I would recommend hooking up with some to hike with when you see them or you might spend more time alone than you want. The problem with that for me was the people that caught me were always moving too fast and the people I would catch were too slow.

Enjoy. If it helps I finished Jan 20th after a week off for ankle injury and lots of slow days and zeros towards the end. Stock up on the cold weather and rain gear and enjoy.

Thanks. I really enjoy going slow. Touring these little towns by foot, if you will. The only problem is feeling ashamed in saying I've been out here for two months and have only done two states.

hammock engineer
09-05-2008, 13:08
I thought about it again. I was a little ahead but not but. Enjoy. The people I was hiking with towards the end were all saying we would keep hiking until it got warm, if we had the money.

There might be some tough lonely times ahead. I had some. Afterwards I am happy I did. I feel a lot more comfortable than I did before being alone or doing anything alone than I used to. On the good side you know every place will have a spot for you when you get to town. I always got the prime spot, since it was just me or 1 or 2 others. Plus you can have a lot better talks with people and they will help you out more when there are not 20 other hikers around.

Enjoy. Feel free to PM me if you need anything. Always looking to help out a fellow southbounder.

TRIP08
09-05-2008, 13:42
I thought about it again. I was a little ahead but not but. Enjoy. The people I was hiking with towards the end were all saying we would keep hiking until it got warm, if we had the money.

There might be some tough lonely times ahead. I had some. Afterwards I am happy I did. I feel a lot more comfortable than I did before being alone or doing anything alone than I used to. On the good side you know every place will have a spot for you when you get to town. I always got the prime spot, since it was just me or 1 or 2 others. Plus you can have a lot better talks with people and they will help you out more when there are not 20 other hikers around.

Enjoy. Feel free to PM me if you need anything. Always looking to help out a fellow southbounder.

Thanks again. I really am glad I chose to do it SOBO: no signficant deadline.

D-wreck
09-06-2008, 11:25
Hey Trip,

I don't think you're behind, the SOBO's are just all over the place now. I'm in Dalton, Mass and their aren't any SOBO's around that I know of. Some are a few days ahead, others a few days behind.

Vermont is wonderful, you're going to love it.

Hanging out at the Birdcage with Rob till the weather clears up and my toe gets better. Be sure to stop by the shell station here and ask for Rob, great place to stay.

Take care,
D-wreck

Red Hat
09-06-2008, 11:58
Hey Dwreck and Trip, you two of our little group of six from Katahdin 7/1 are still out there. Not sure if Godzilla is still hiking or not, but I know MacGyver had to get off in Rutland to do her Navy stuff. Dwreck, I'm really enjoying your journal and photos. Thanks! And Trip, you aren't the last one by any means. Stumpknocker just started back north at Hanover and he ran into four SOBOs yesterday. Mokay started back in June, but took some time off, I think. So hike on, and enjoy it.

Jeff
09-06-2008, 19:04
D-Wreck are you taking a zero because of the weather or just waiting for the Vermont Mafia??? !!!

Namaste
09-06-2008, 23:08
Hey Trip, we met at Piazza Rock (Maine). I (Anne) was co-leading the girls camp group. There were 6-15 yr olds and another adult (Annie). We finished up at Rattle River on Aug. 8th. Miserable rainy weather. I'm glad to see your post here. I wish you luck with your journey and I'll keep checking on your progress. I have no doubts that you will be successful no matter how long it takes. Keep on hiking!

salves
09-07-2008, 10:19
Yo guys I'm outside of Boston right now taking a sidetrip to hang out with some friends I started out with who jumped off at Franconia Notch...Warraghiyagey and von Frick...I'm heading back to Tom's place in Dalton tomorrow and my intention is to hike 10 miles out of Dalton and hit up the October Mtn Lean-to so hopefully I'll run into some of you then...

D-Wreck I think I was about a day behind you before I jumped off...saw your name at the church in Chesire...

Take it easy guys

-Cheesewhiz-

jnetx
09-08-2008, 10:43
Anyone other SOBOs this far back?)

Hey Trip
We're still here, just a little behind you. Chill had some back problems a day or two after we saw you last. We had to do some really short miles for a couple days to get him worked out again. I think you probably passed us while we were stealthing on one of those short days. We're in Hanover right now, and you know how we are when we get in a town! We've made some modifications to his pack to hopefully help with the back problems, and will be heading into Vermont as soon as we get our stuff together.

Keep hiking, we'll catch you somewhere south of here, and yes, there are others still behind us. Several SOBOs passed us between Smarts Mt and Hanover and we've been seeing more flip floppers too.
HUGS - mokay

AaronUp
10-17-2008, 22:46
Hey all,

I was out at SNP in Va last weekend and ran into Godzilla(sobo). We hiked together for a few days and went into Waynesboro together where i had my car. So we drove around, got him re-stocked and had him back on the trail the next morn.

He had been doing 20+ miles daily, with pretty much no zeros. He mentioned many who he had met along the way who were on white blaze like red hat, doc holiday, mcgyever his gf, and im sure there were more.

corialice81
10-18-2008, 16:07
yeah there were about 12 or so of us that did maine together...the people you named plus grizzly bear (33whiskey on whiteblaze), dwreck, dakota, jason and kelly...grizzly bear and I got off and are planning on going back next year...everyone else still out there is near or just past harpers ferry....I'm looking forward to them getting to damascus!!!!

glad to hear godzilla is still trekkin on...he's a great guy!

doc holladay
(cori)

Red Hat
10-23-2008, 10:27
Dreck and the Vermont Mafia are also still out there. Anyone know where Trip is now? no journal since 8/30...

KG4FAM
10-23-2008, 12:26
Anyone know where Trip is now? no journal since 8/30...http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=254199

J5man
11-02-2008, 13:19
Anyone know a SOBO called Yo Yo from NJ? I ran into him last weekend while driving on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Roanoke, VA. He had hiked a lot up north this summer and took a couple of weeks off to go home and gain some weight he said. He hopped back on at Harpers Ferry and is headed to Springer.

salves
11-06-2008, 09:41
Haven't met a Yo Yo but does anyone know if Oreo is on the trail still. He's a cool laid back dude from Alabama. I ran into some northbound section hikers who said he was hiking with his Dad in SNP and I should catch up to him but I haven't seen him. I'm in Troutville now looking to be in Catawba,VA tonight.

salves
11-06-2008, 09:44
Also anyword on Finding Peace...haven't seen her name in the registers for ages....

-Cheesewhiz-

Lone Wolf
11-06-2008, 09:44
Haven't met a Yo Yo but does anyone know if Oreo is on the trail still. He's a cool laid back dude from Alabama. I ran into some northbound section hikers who said he was hiking with his Dad in SNP and I should catch up to him but I haven't seen him. I'm in Troutville now looking to be in Catawba,VA tonight.

make sure you eat at The Homeplace http://filebox.vt.edu/users/kdesrosi/thehomeplace/

warraghiyagey
11-06-2008, 09:53
Also anyword on Finding Peace...haven't seen her name in the registers for ages....

-Cheesewhiz-

Hey Cheese, I'll check around and see if I can see what she's up to.

make sure you eat at The Homeplace http://filebox.vt.edu/users/kdesrosi/thehomeplace/

Cheese is the man. Hoping he has a great stay in Damascus. Vonfrick and I met him in Bangor on the way up to Katahdin and hiked a good chunk of Maine/NH with him.
Good hiking instincts. If something goes wrong he just sits down and blows his whistle.:D

nightshaded
11-06-2008, 11:21
[quote=Red Hat;692649]Actually, Kirby, Alpine Stider isn't all that snobby. She hikes fast, just like you do, and probably didn't have a lot of time to visit.

going to have to disagree with that one. we met her, and she did have a definite attitude. just because you hike quickly doesn't mean you have to be rude to people.

bone lady

Chaco Taco
11-06-2008, 18:48
[quote=Red Hat;692649]Actually, Kirby, Alpine Stider isn't all that snobby. She hikes fast, just like you do, and probably didn't have a lot of time to visit.

going to have to disagree with that one. we met her, and she did have a definite attitude. just because you hike quickly doesn't mean you have to be rude to people.

bone lady

Dont think you should be talking to anyone about rudeness

Chaco Taco
11-06-2008, 18:49
Ran into Grizz, Earthworm, and Superman at Overmountain Shelter yesterday. Really cool guys that are loving NC.

nitewalker
11-13-2008, 06:51
i just got back from a small section hike. went and did from jacobs ladder to great barrington. we stayed at upper goose pond the 1st nite and mt wilcox north the 2nd nite..low 20s both nites... along the way pitdog and i ran into 3 sobo's; moss, baby steps or little feet and mpt or pmt. they have been on the trail since july. they are geting off in great barrington and skiping down to damascus.. on the way back to the car we noticed two female sobos heading into lee to beat the rain before it comes in on thursday.. also ran into a french hiker who was out for a few days....

peace out, nitewalker