PDA

View Full Version : Water locations-Woody gap to Tray Mtn Rd.

Morpheus
09-04-2008, 19:53
I have the Trail guide, but with the draught, where is water really available now through this section?:confused:

briarpatch
09-04-2008, 21:23
http://georgia-atclub.org/water_resources.html

Tennessee Viking
09-04-2008, 21:55
I was just Blood Mtn. Very dry, and very humid. The only water I saw was along the Reece Memorial blue blaze. Neels Gap and the hiking center very busy and crowded.

cool breeze
09-04-2008, 22:38
I just hiked Tray to Dicks gap and there is water in the following places:

tray moutain shelter
side trail before sassafras gap-marked with blue blaze
Sassafras gap
addis gap
deep gap shelter
dicks gap

Deep gap shelter is sweet! worth staying at.:banana

Morpheus
09-05-2008, 08:55
Briarpatch. You rock! That's an awesome resource. After I finish that little chunk (Woody gap - Tray Mtn. road) I'll have Amicalola to Hot Springs completed. Next-up: Hot springs to Erwin next year.

Summit
09-05-2008, 09:37
Looks like water conditions are more favorable than the last couple of falls. Two years ago next month (Oct) I found Tray Mtn Shelter a seep and Deep Gap Shelter's water source bone dry. Had to hoof it over a mile east on the FS road below Deep Gap shelter to a nice stream.

Bulldawg
09-05-2008, 09:42
I was at Tray mountain shelter spring on Monday. I would estimate the flow at around a gallon per minute. I filled 3 quart containers really really fast on Monday. The 10-12 inches from Fay I think has really charged up some springs.

Summit
09-05-2008, 09:49
I was at Tray mountain shelter spring on Monday. I would estimate the flow at around a gallon per minute. I filled 3 quart containers really really fast on Monday. The 10-12 inches from Fay I think has really charged up some springs.That's good to know. I'm planning a 3-day hike doing the 'Standing Indian loop' next weekend. Can't wait! :)