PDA

View Full Version : Water in Massachusetts

astrogirl
09-04-2008, 21:50
Since I've heard that New England is having a very wet year, I haven't been terribly concerned about water for my hike that starts in about one week.

I'm hiking almost all of Massachusetts (US 7 to VT 9). Is there any issue with dry springs? Have I been misinformed about the rain?

On a related subject: what's the story with DAY time bugs? Any biters or just annoyers? I'm prepared for night time, but if I need to wear DEET during the day, I need a bigger supply.

Thanks, as always!

rafe
09-04-2008, 23:27
Partly because of the wet weather, there are some mosquitoes still. Generally they're not a problem this time of year.

Homer&Marje
09-05-2008, 08:04
Caught a few moments of black fly terror back in june, might still be a concern I like the $2 head nets. Water isn't a concern there is plenty of it, and Hannah is about to drop us a few inches probably. Might be a few floods due to rain and beavers.

WetBottom
09-05-2008, 09:00
I was just hiking in Western, Ma a few weeks ago on day hikes. It was quite wet. Bugs didn't bother us at all, but there weren't none.

I don't know what your average hikers bug threshold is though. :)

Mike.C
09-05-2008, 14:27
Just finished a section of CT and MA.

Water was not an issue for my hike. The only place you should carry a little extra will be over Graylock. The visitors center is still closed and there was little water on the south side other than the posted spring by the Mark Nopel leen-to and that spring is a little ways downhill off the trail.

As for the bugs? No blackflies or other flies to worry about but the mosquitoes were very active especially in the lowlands south east of Great Barrington. I nearly ran through that section. They were even brave enough to venture out in sunlight areas in the day.

Have fun!

Mike

camojack
09-05-2008, 14:59
Just finished a section of CT and MA.
Water was not an issue for my hike. The only place you should carry a little extra will be over Graylock. The visitors center is still closed and there was little water on the south side other than the posted spring by the Mark Nopel leen-to and that spring is a little ways downhill off the trail.
Yes, be advised that the water is OFF at the Bascom Lodge atop Greylock; they're currently renovating it.

That being said, I didn't have any problem finding water on my hike this week between Dalton, MA and Bennington, VT.

As for the bugs? No blackflies or other flies to worry about but the mosquitoes were very active especially inn the lowlands south ease of Great Barrington. I nearly ran through that section. They were even brave enough to venture out in sunlight areas in the day.
Have fun!
Plenty of mosquitoes out and about...and they seemed particularly aggressive between the Congdon Shelter and Rt. 9 in VT.

I built fires at the shelters where I stayed to drive the little buggers away...

astrogirl
09-05-2008, 19:58
Thanks for the current updates everyone!

I guess I better bring more DEET.

Homer&Marje
09-05-2008, 21:09
Gold label will get you through most mosquitos, some seem to feed off of it, oh and ChiefDaddy warned me that it melts ski pole grips:D apply and wash hands to avoid

astrogirl
09-06-2008, 20:02
What's gold label?

grnmtngirl
09-10-2008, 01:11
The water is good in most places. Like Cosmo said before, Crystal Mt. tentsite maybe dry and Wilcox N. Water at Tom Leonard is fine.

If you are going North, get water before or when you get to Dalton before going up and into Chesire.
If you are hiking North up Greylock, fill up at the spring at Mark Noepel shelter before you get to the top. If you really needed water there is an old pond at the top that they used to get water out of back in the day for Bascom Lodge. But that'd definitely need some serious sanitizing. If you're lucky a Ranger would be up top. They get water from some secret manhole/well thing.
As of Saturday (torrential rain) the flow for the stream next to Wilbur's Clearing was higher than usual, but water is there either way.
Rest of your way you should be good.
Have fun.