PDA

View Full Version : anyone got SMD lunar duo tent photos?

JamieB
09-05-2008, 03:47
I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on this tent (six moon designs "lunar duo"), but I'd really like to see some more photos. I always think it's kind of strange when manufacturers expect you to shell out almost $300, but then they only provide a single photograph to "sell" their product!

Anyway, I've been doing a ton of searching on the internet (google images etc) and have found around 10 or so images of the tent. But I'd still like some more if any of you have some sitting around on your hard disks (I think I've found all the ones which are already on the web!).

If anyone could help out that would be brilliant! :D

Thanks, Jamie

g8trh8tr
09-05-2008, 09:02
I have some that I took when I set the Duo up to seam seal it....Do you have an email I can send them to?

JamieB
09-05-2008, 23:35
Thanks g8trh8tr! I've sent you a pm with my email address, so check your inbox. =-)

ChinMusic
09-06-2008, 00:33
The Lunar Duo is a good choice for a thru. It is a bit heavy compared to solo shelters but the comfort is worth it to some. It has a fairly large footprint, so you will need more room to set it up. Site selection, compared to a solo, will be slightly harder.

I, personally, would start with a solo but could see myself switching to a duo at some point.

OutdoorsMan
09-06-2008, 11:12
I have a Solo and like it but I have had my eye on all that space in the Duo.

HeartWalker
09-10-2008, 17:34
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l82/billreyn1/Lunar%20Duo/chatoogarvrtrl007.jpg

JamieB
09-12-2008, 01:58
Thanks Bill! Pics of the tent "in use" are really helpful.

What do you find you dislike the most about the lunar duo? There are plenty of things to like about it obviously, but I'm interested in things which might be a bit of a bummer. Do you ever find it too "windy" inside the tent, or is it easy to batten down the hatches? Is it a PITA to get it pitched correctly?

The other tent I'm looking at is the Big Sky Convertible 2P or the Big Sky Evolution 2P. I've read a lot of complaints of undelivered tents, but most of those issues seem to be from a couple of years ago and most current users seem very happy. Quite a bit more expensive, and about 8-10 ounces heavier, but you get a free-standing pitch, easy setup, and don't have to worry about condensation.

Decisions, decisions. If anyone has any big sky pics they would be most welcome also. :)

HeartWalker
09-12-2008, 13:54
Jamie, as you said, there isn't much negative I can say about this tent. The only nitpicks are the holders for the poles are a little finicky and can slip out while erecting the tent. If you are not careful, the tip of your pole can punch a hole in the tent fabric. This has not happened to me but I've come close. The only other minor point is that it does require a fairly large pitch area. Of course the main reason I like it is for the room it affords me so that is a minor point. I've owned probably 10 different tents over 20 years of backpacking and this one is the best by far. It isn't even close. I recommend it without hesitation.

Terry7
09-12-2008, 14:55
I have just come off the trail after 4 months. I have the Lunar Duo and it is the best tent I have ever used. I will be taking it next year on my 1700 mile hike. If you like plenty of room, easy set up, and light weight then this is the tent.

grumpypickle
09-12-2008, 15:31
I really like my duo and it does have plenty of room, no worries there. My biggest issue was condensation, particularly in the cold weather at the beginning of my hike this year. I ended up switching to an MSR Hubba in Franklin. The other challenge you might face is the duo is not free-standing of course and setting up on tent pads in the north is kind of a pain in the arse.