PDA

View Full Version : Hiking weekend of Sept 5th with storms?

darkage
09-05-2008, 10:58
I'm thinking of hiking in NE pa this weekend, tomorrow's calling for heavy rain at times with at the heaviest hour of 30mph winds ....

I've yet to deal with something like this while on the trail, so i've been planing to go and deal with the rain for the experiance ...

Now my question to the mass, is ... Stupid? Or good idea for the experiance if i play it safe?

Thanks, leaving in a few hours unless someone changes my mind.

Jason-

jesse
09-05-2008, 11:01
The only time I would say stupid, is if there were a tornado watch. Have fun. Look above you when you pitch your tent for dead or habging limbs.

Blissful
09-05-2008, 11:34
Well, if you are adequately prepared, why not? With that kind of wind and rain, and if the temps drop, watch hypothermia. It can still happen.
But this storm is supposed to be a fast mover. So probably one bad day.

darkage
09-05-2008, 12:40
Yeah, i'm ready for it ... spent the day at cabelas grabing some things heh ....

Lemme ask this, Whats the deal with aluminum hiking poles in lightning ...

In theory, it doesn't sound like a smart idea, but there rubber tip'd and grips ... I never use mine most of the time, but in the rain i'd imagine thro sections of pa they'd be an ankle saver.

darkage
09-05-2008, 12:44
Tropical Storm Hanna, Moving Up The Eastern Seaboard, Will Spread A Combination Of Wind And Rain Into The Area Tonight Into Saturday Night. Easterly Winds Will Begin To Increase Saturday Morning, Reaching 15 To 20 Mph With Gusts To Around 35 Mph In The Afternoon And Evening. In Addition, Heavy Rain Is Expected Late Tonight Into Saturday Evening. As The Ground Becomes Saturated And The Winds Increase, The Probability Of Downed Trees Will Also Increase.

bmac
09-05-2008, 12:48
I think you're more likely to fall or twist an ankle than get struck by lightning, so my vote goes to having the poles. If lightning were to strike nearby, you would probably get zapped regardless if you had the poles or not. Hope you have a good time, wish I could be on the trail this weekend.

darkage
09-05-2008, 12:52
Excellent, thats what i was thinking ....

BigToe
09-05-2008, 12:56
I had some bad moments last year crossing a bare ridge in lightning and rain. I was pretty worried about my poles and held them as low and parallel to the ground as possible. The storm came on in what I guessed was about the middle so I didn't get the choice to hold up and wait. I agree with the earlier comment that the poles will probably do more good than risk.

If it's on the warm side, I actually love hiking in the rain. My dry stuff is wrapped up in a compactor bag so I just look at it as a free shower.

canoehead
09-05-2008, 13:31
Most lilely I'll be in the Sages Ravine area doin the RR thing in CT.
No. Not Rest and Relaxation. I mean Ridge Runner stuff.
Have fun prepare for the worst.... This is NE.
LOOK UP when the wind hits.

Blissful
09-05-2008, 14:03
I was in a bad lightning storm in PA last year, a few miles south of Eckville shelter. I just pulled my hat down, put on rain gear and hiked on while telling my Maker, if it's my time, it's my time... Not much I could do anyway as there was no shelter around. :)

Tankerhoosen
09-05-2008, 14:18
Most lilely I'll be in the Sages Ravine area doin the RR thing in CT.
No. Not Rest and Relaxation. I mean Ridge Runner stuff.
Have fun prepare for the worst.... This is NE.
LOOK UP when the wind hits.

Hows the ridge running going this summer?

-Jared

horicon
09-05-2008, 15:08
Bring snorkeling gear?? Also bring other foul weather gear.

SmokeHouse
09-05-2008, 15:41
high winds means falling trees and limbs. I've been in high winds at night wondering if a tree or limb was going to fall through my tent. Be safe...

canoehead
09-05-2008, 15:49
RRing is is a great.
It's a great way to get out, and have fun working and meeting trail users. My boss is on vaca so some one needs to do it. are you a RRer?

Wise Old Owl
09-05-2008, 20:43
I'm thinking of hiking in NE pa this weekend, tomorrow's calling for heavy rain at times with at the heaviest hour of 30mph winds ....

I've yet to deal with something like this while on the trail, so i've been planing to go and deal with the rain for the experiance ...

Now my question to the mass, is ... Stupid? Or good idea for the experiance if i play it safe?

Thanks, leaving in a few hours unless someone changes my mind.

Jason-

Thanks for asking Jason, its not the heavy rain or the occational lightening. The wind brings down large branches and that's the clear killer. If you get an early start & get home while someone watches this web page I think you will be ok

Click (http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx?animate=true&location=USPA1188)

WetBottom
09-05-2008, 21:34
I too think I may hike in the rain tomorrow.

So, the general concensus is "go ahead. Watch for falling trees."?

I was hearing on the news that the previous storms have actually done a good job wiping out most of the about-to-fall trees 'round these parts. So that's good news!

Wise Old Owl
09-07-2008, 11:02
I decided to find this thread and add to it after the storm passed. Today the sun is out and its a beautiful day.

1. Over the years electrical workers & Firemen have been dramatically injured or fatally from trees & branches falling in efforts to protect folks locally.

2. Caught in such a storm with high winds get to a clearing as soon as possible and wait it out.

3. To enter the woods willingly knowing that it "remnents" of a hurricane lack good common sense.

4. There is always good weather before & after the storm and plenty of time to get out there.

I have been caught in the woods by storms where wood branches have rained down on me.

Years ago my car was directly hit by a small tornado with me in it. Right after it ripped the roof off a nearby school, simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I understand the need to go hiking in poor weather to build skills & understanding, but don't tempt fate, the rain was so bad yesterday that we have a pond in the backyard today. The winds brought down branches all around the house. As much as I wanted to go out yesterday it was better to occupy myself with other things.

http://www.nbc10.com/2008/0905/17403369_240X180.jpg (javascript:popUp('/slideshow/news/17401027/detail.html','width=1024,height=750,top=0,left=0,s crollbars');)

darkage
09-07-2008, 16:01
Yeah, its a personal choice .... I felt i could keep myself safe and i did ... I had no issues and just wanna say i'm in love with my new merrell boots ... my feet stayed dry all weekend ... INSANE! ... but i do agree with you wise old owl ... I camped in a large clearing north of lehigh gap up on the "moon" area .... The hiking towards wind gap was alittle slow from heavy rain here an there ... but overall i enjoyed my time out there, no thunder/lightning .... just heavy rain/fog and decent wind ... it was expected to be 30+ and never got about 15mph gusts ... But its good to be realistic ... and you put down what could very well happen ... tho rare ... very real.

MyName1sMud
09-08-2008, 13:53
dry socks!