PDA

View Full Version : Rehabbing old gear?

WetBottom
09-05-2008, 21:22
I am quite poor. I am also itching very hard to graduate from day-hiking to backpacking.

As you all know, gear is quite pricey. I've read through some articles on making things a bit cheaper, but some peices of gear cannot be made at home (at least by me.) and cannot be skipped.

My father used to backpack... and has some old gear. Namely, an old backpack.

Am I crazy to think I could bring a backpack from the 70s back to life, and do a couple of overnights with it?

There's also aluminum mess kits, and possibly an old stove.

I have a yoga mat I thought could be a good sleeping mat.

Chatter
09-05-2008, 21:49
Even if you're poor, you can still be a successful backpacker. All the veterans of this site can recite how grandma what's-her-name did the AT wearing nothing but a shower curtain and sleeping in an old pair of tennis shoes or something. Anyway, joking aside, there are certain basics you need to overnight, but they don't have to be expensive. All that fancy gear can come later when you're rich and famous....or at least rich.

As to making gear, that takes time and materials cost money. Don't know what you need to do to your dad's '70s pack, but gear can certainly be repaired. Nothing wrong with your aluminum mess kit and an old stove. With the yoga mat, if it has the cloth cover, you might not want to use it. Try it outside at night locally to see how it works. And, y'know....Walmart sells a perfectly functional blue ground pad for $5. I've found Salvation Army and other thrift stores to be a good cheap source for some gear and fleece/nylon clothing which will have less wear than you'll put on it your first hike.

Hope this helps and don't hesitate to ask more specific questions here and loads of people will be glad to give you the benefit of their experience.

russb
09-05-2008, 21:59
I am quite poor. I am also itching very hard to graduate from day-hiking to backpacking.

As you all know, gear is quite pricey. I've read through some articles on making things a bit cheaper, but some peices of gear cannot be made at home (at least by me.) and cannot be skipped.

My father used to backpack... and has some old gear. Namely, an old backpack.

Am I crazy to think I could bring a backpack from the 70s back to life, and do a couple of overnights with it?

There's also aluminum mess kits, and possibly an old stove.

I have a yoga mat I thought could be a good sleeping mat.

You definitely can bring some that old gear back to life. Not sure about the yoga mat, only cuz I am not familiar with them, but you can get a cheap sleeping pad from military surplus stores. Walmaert has cheap ones too as was mentioned. Definitely check out your local thrift shops for stuff and garage sales. People sell amazing stuff at garage sales for pennies. In the old days before people even backpacked for recreation... it was a means of travel. Very little in terms of gear, but heavy on outdoor knowledge

Mags
09-05-2008, 22:02
My boiler plate post on this topic.. :)

Quality Gear on the Cheap: If you read those glossy outdoor magazines, you'd think you need a $300 pack, a $300 shell and a $300 fleece. You do not need expensive gear to enjoy backpacking. Often the brand name gear, besides being expensive, is heavy, bulky and overkill for what is supposed to be for the simple joy of walking.

Though written for the Appalachian Trail, the general concepts apply for quality gear on the cheap:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=206678#post206678

Some additional information I will add is that you should invest in a decent sleeping bag. The Campmor down bag is good budget bag rated to 20F.
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=86896&memberId=12500226

If you are looking for a light, compressible and warm jacket check out an army liner jacket (mentioned in the above article, but deserves to be emphasized) : http://tinyurl.com/2dfgpk

Finally, for high altitude/desert hiking I suggest a long sleeve polyester dress shirt for the princely sum of $4 from many thrift stores. I've used this type of shirt for literally several thousand miles of backpacking. The short sleeve version works well for East coast backpacking.

WetBottom
09-05-2008, 22:05
Military surplus! That's such a good idea! I can't believe I didn't think of that.

The yoga mat is like this one http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/602-2369804-8809425?ASIN=B0000ATQFR&AFID=Froogle&LNM=B0000ATQFR|GoFit_Yoga_Mat&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=B0000ATQFR&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001

It's just a foam mat, but probably not as thick as one meant to sleep on.

It's so hard to hit the goodwill or salvation army because of their hours. They are basically only open when I'm in work. Maybe I can take a day off to shop?

rafe
09-05-2008, 22:12

In a word: No. You don't necessarily need the latest and greatest name-brand gear. Use common sense. A $10 synthetic flannel shirt may not look as hip, but will keep you as warm as a $100 fleece or down vest. Check out yard sales, thrift shops, eBay. As recreations go, hiking is pretty cheap.

WetBottom
09-05-2008, 22:16
See... I too thought hiking was cheap. Until I started to dream of backpacking. Then I read all about gear, and all the things that could go wrong... so you'll need extra "just-in-case" gear.

I don't want to die on the side of a Mountain because I didn't bring the right kind of emergency gear... but I also don't want to wait until I can afford all that gear to do some overnights.

WetBottom
09-05-2008, 22:17
I don't know why I capitalized "mountain"... it must be some sort of unconcious respect.

Mags
09-05-2008, 22:38
I don't want to die on the side of a Mountain because I didn't bring the right kind of emergency gear... but I also don't want to wait until I can afford all that gear to do some overnights.

But you honestly don't need expensive gear to be light, warm and safe.

Check out this link here based on a similar thread (which I can't find :() here on White Blaze:
http://www.magnanti.com/miscwritings/3hundred_challenge.htm

Also, the yoga mat is $20. The generic "blue foam pad" (Closed cell foam) is only $10. It is my pad of choice as well just because it is light and nearly indestructible. The yoga mat may be heavier.

rafe
09-05-2008, 22:39

I assume we're not talking about the Himalayas or the Andes, or even the Rockies or the Sierras here.... just the good old Appalachian mountains. I assume further that we're not talking about hiking in the dead of winter, in the snow.

In which case, hiker deaths are exceedingly rare, and deaths due to poor equipment even more so. To the extent that folks die, it's often due to poor judgment and occasionally due to violent crime.

Hypothermia is probably the most real (potentially lethal) danger you face, and for that, you need to think about how you will keep warm for a few hours in a cold rain. But even that scenario can be avoided: if you have a dry tent and a decent sleeping bag, just hunker down and wait for conditions to improve.

Finally: until you're confident of your gear and your routine, find a partner and avoid hiking alone. Always have a Plan B for getting out of the woods if things go haywire. Make sure someone responsible knows where you are and when you expect to return.

WetBottom
09-05-2008, 22:40
Ha. Can I tell you? When I saw stuff sacks and such I thought "what's wrong with a trash bag?"

Mags
09-05-2008, 22:45
Ha. Can I tell you? When I saw stuff sacks and such I thought "what's wrong with a trash bag?"

Nothing. Tyvek envelopes (such as from the post office or FedEx) work well, too! Probably have bunch in your office ready to be thrown out.

(Swing shift is killing me.... :o)

santa
09-05-2008, 22:47
craigslist. IT is the best website ever created. I have found things in my house that I was about to throw away and sold for like 10-15 bucks on there. Also people might even give you some camping stuff for free. I got a tent on there for 1 dollar once.

WetBottom
09-05-2008, 22:49
I know my chances of dying hiking are basically zero. I just want to be reasonably safe. And since this sport is so new to me, I'm not sure at which point I'm safe, and which point I'm an idiot for leaving home without my (insert equipment).

santa
09-05-2008, 22:57
I know my chances of dying hiking are basically zero. I just want to be reasonably safe. And since this sport is so new to me, I'm not sure at which point I'm safe, and which point I'm an idiot for leaving home without my (insert equipment).

Its basically camping far away from the parking lot and walking all day. Just make sure you have water shelter food and warm clothes. Thats about it. Even if you dont bring a certain gear its not normally life or death. Sometimes I dont carry a flashlight and sometimes i dont carry raingear. Just make sure you have warm clothes if its winter or something but summer time you dont really even have to worry about it.

rafe
09-05-2008, 22:58

Like I said -- it's not the gear, it's the judgment. Google on "gear list" and you'll find many sample lists. Staying warm (in cold weather) or cool (in hot weather) is top priority. Hydration is a close 2nd. Staying injury-free is up there also. Most of this has to do with common sense, not gear.

Mags
09-05-2008, 23:01
(One last post..and done for the night..woo hoo!)

Have you thought of joining an outdoor group? great way to network and meet some friends to show you the ropes.

Or you can stumble around like I did, too. :)

This doc may help if you are new to backpacking:
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&Itemid=33

Outta here... :)

SoonerTex
09-05-2008, 23:11
I can afford some nicer stuff, but I am very cheap (thrifty) and like to experiment with what others have tried. I have spent hours reading threads on this site and stealing great ideas from those that are smarter than I am. You can do it, just keep on listening to what alot of the regular contributors to this site have to say. They have helped me out quite abit. SoonerTex

WetBottom
09-05-2008, 23:12
I live in the city. I could join the local hiking club, but they hike my local woods. I've hiked these woods since I was barely born, I know them.

There's a meetup group that goes on trips to the White Mountains. I'm afraid I'd be too slow for most hikers, and wouldn't want to hold a whole group of people back.

I do hike with my boyfriend. Who is more athletic, but even less experienced.

And hey! I did join a group! It's called "whiteblaze.net". :) See, I'm proactive.

santa
09-05-2008, 23:16
Sometimes some hiking groups have a group for slower people and a group for faster people. Some will also say how hard the hike is or what to bring. Just make sure you go on a easier one first and bring a friend so that way if in the rare case you did get a bunch of loosers who wouldnt wait up for you then you can always chill back with your friend.

Sailor (The other one)
09-06-2008, 06:41
If you are looking for a light, compressible and warm jacket check out an army liner jacket (mentioned in the above article, but deserves to be emphasized) : http://tinyurl.com/2dfgpk

The pants, too. Same site. Less than $4.

Lawn Sale
09-06-2008, 07:42
You don't need money to hike. I started hiking again after my divorce, and didn't have any money due to paying it off, which was expensive.

As such I had to learn to gather gear on-the-cheap because I "WAS" going backpacking.

Here are some places to find gear:

1) Stuff people throw away. I have gotten some great gear here, to include Gore-Tex hardshells, many tents, hiking poles, and backpacks. Sure, it needs a cleaning, but it was almost always serviceable. I had some friends that worked at the local/transfer station and asked them to look out for gear for me. After all, if it wasn't any good, I could just re-throw it away. MY most prized possession from there was a pair of Carbon Komperdell hiking poles they were using to pick up trash. Honest truth.

2) Gear that only needs "X". I have also had to become good at repairing gear, which is essential. A little ingenuity is key and a lot can be learned from websites like this. Most of the time you can find stuff for cheap because people don't want to repair something, they'd rather buy new. A torn sleeping bag is an easy fix with $2 worth of sticky nylon tape from Wal-Mart. A backpack strap is easily sewn back on with $1 worth of fishing like (I use woven kevlar fishing line). Anything plastic can be melted back together with a soldering iron, and there is no limit to what you can do with the imagination.

3) Old gear other hikers have. I have a plethora (today's buzz word, I so rarely get to use it in a sentence) of old hiking gear I won't throw away, but don't need as I've upgraded. I usually give it out to people like yourself just starting out, or the Boy Scouts since they always need stuff.

4) Goodwill and the Salvation Army. One rule is go often and look hard. I have found Mountain Hardwear down jackets for $10, MSR snowshoes for $6, Leki hiking poles for $2, and the best of all, a set of $400 Koflach Arctis Extreme boots for $10. People do the same thing here, they upgrade and don't want to throw away new, or the wife cleans out the guys closet and throws away his expensive stuff because it means nothing to her.

5) Old gear and the Military Surplus. Sure, it won't be top-of-the-line stuff, or the lightest, but you need to build your legs anyway. The basic rules still apply: no cotton and a proper fit. The rest is what you're willing to put up with fashion-wise, and to me that means little.

I winter backpack and ice climb, which is a whole different set of rules (death is always around the corner if you do it wrong), and thus different gear that's required. But for 3 season backpacking you can get by with very little as you take very little with you.

I started hiking with non-cotton gym clothes sleeping in an old cotton sleeping bag in a 30 year old tent with an old military pack. The main thing to gather here is knowledge, the gear is immaterial when you don't know what you're doing, and that is free.

There are a few websites of people that go hiking, a lot from your area. One I really like is http://www.rocksontop.com (http://www.rocksontop.com/) , another is http://www.viewsfromthetop.com (http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/) , and the last one is http://www.hike-nh.com (http://www.hike-nh.com/) There are bunches of people that go to the Whites all the time from your area. I am doing Liberty and Flume on the 13th if you'd care to go, it'd be nice to see more people out there. It's only a day trip, but it'd expose you to more people in the hiking community and help get your legs into better shape.

I hiked the 100-Mile wilderness two years ago with a guy who had a pack from 1974, a heavy leather biker's jacket, a cotton t-shirt, jeans, and work boots. He made it and had a great time. (Yes, that's a green mohawk. Stereotypes aside, he's really a nice guy, a computer science teacher at a high school who likes to hike in the summer)

http://www.fototime.com/6A395AD08D4F42B/orig.jpg

Mags
09-06-2008, 15:45
There's a meetup group that goes on trips to the White Mountains. I'm afraid I'd be too slow for most hikers, and wouldn't want to hold a whole group of people back.

And hey! I did join a group! It's called "whiteblaze.net". :) See, I'm proactive.

You are probably not as slow as you think. :)

I lead many outdoor trips of a various difficulty and length. Most people want to take frequent rest breaks and saunter along at a casual pace.

So, don't let your "slow" pace hold you back. You'll probably meet many people who are more or less your speed.

The Appalachian Mtn Club (based in Boston!) probably had some group trips.

The other sites people mentioned are probably a good way of finding some hiking partners.

Finally, why not post here on WB (as you hinted?)

I am sure they are plenty of people in the area who'd be happy to take a walk with you and others. :)

Try this forum:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73

Mags
09-06-2008, 15:46
The pants, too. Same site. Less than $4.

I use the pants for camping trips and "social backpacks", too. Always a good conversation starter! ;)

http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=17258&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=9b7269e0127675108ae6001d1d0952b4

WetBottom
09-06-2008, 17:57
I was going to go out hiking today, but I decided to see what gear I could gather in a day instead.

I'm pretty darn proud of myself.

I found my father's old Kelty backpack. And it only weighs 3.5lbs! I'm thrilled, because for some reason I was convinced an old pack like that would be really heavy.

It's actually in fantastic shape. My only concern are the metal parts for size adjustments are very stuck, and the hipbelt has absolutely no padding. In fact, my day pack has more padding than this thing.

I picked up that old yoga mat, and it was obviously too heavy.

So, we hit up Walmart. The camping section was a mess, but I think we made some good buys.

I found a sleeping bag that is a 20 degree bag, weighs 3lbs and was only $35. I thought this was the find of the century.

I bought a foam sleeping pad, that seems to weigh nearly nothing.

I bought a headlamp flashlight, a rope to tie our food up, and 1 bag for our food. I also bought some non-cotton pants, and shirts. I bought some water treatment drops, and a few other little things that I thought would help attach things to my pack.

I ordered online a water filter.

I'm fairly certain the only thing keeping me from backpacking at this point is a tent.

Lawn Sale- I'm not even sure what stereotypes are associated with a green mohawk. I think he looks adorable! That pack he has on is like a blue version of the one I wrangled up.

Mags- I do think my belief that I'm quite slow comes from watching people blow past us on the Beaver Brook trail up Moosilauke. Which now, after some reading, I do believe is a difficult trail. So, maybe I'm not as slow as I think, but I'm also not as fast as the kind of hikers who want to do the same kind of hikes I do! I'm probably a speed-demon to people who want to walk in the park and chase butterflies :)

On second thought, I'd probably love chasing butterflies.

Feral Bill
09-06-2008, 18:18
It's actually in fantastic shape. My only concern are the metal parts for size adjustments are very stuck, and the hipbelt has absolutely no padding. In fact, my day pack has more padding than this thing.

Kelty still makes external frame packs, and Campmor sells them. You should be able to find a new, nicely padded hip belt. It may take a few phone calls. I replaced a hip belt for an old pack for about $20 recently.

Metal parts should free up with a bit of penetrating oil. Sewing machine oil might do nicely.

Old Kelty packs were not made with coated fabric. Line with a trash bag for wet weather.

You do not need a tent. An 8x10 tarp, set up properly, will keep you dry. It's lighter and more pleasent than a tent, at least if it is not buggy. Even one of those blue poly tarps from Home Depot will work.

The best season is coming up. Try a trip or two with easy bail outs to start and build your experience.

Have fun!

FB

rafe
09-06-2008, 18:21
I'm fairly certain the only thing keeping me from backpacking at this point is a tent.

I'll donate my old Eureka Gossamer tent to your cause. Just PM me. It's a fine old tent and has never let me down.

WetBottom
09-06-2008, 18:26
About the lack of waterproofing of the pack. I bought that waterproofing spray. Do you think that would help? I don't want to risk hurting the pack in any way.

Terrapin- Really?? That seems like a bit much, don't you think? Hikers seem like one of the nicest groups of people I've ever met... if you ignore all those threads with people arguing over nothing, which I am. :)

rafe
09-06-2008, 18:32
Terrapin- Really?? That seems like a bit much, don't you think? Hikers seem like one of the nicest groups of people I've ever met... if you ignore all those threads with people arguing over nothing, which I am. :)

I got 18 years out of it. It's traveled about half the AT. You'll have to pick it up, and/or buy the first round when we meet.

WetBottom
09-06-2008, 20:11
So, obvously the old pack does not have bladder compatibility. I do have a water bladder, should I just shove it in somewhere, or forget about it??

What should I take instead, a two liter soda bottle??

Feral Bill
09-06-2008, 21:48
[quote=WetBottom;693454]About the lack of waterproofing of the pack. I bought that waterproofing spray. Do you think that would help? I don't want to risk hurting the pack in any way.

Dick Kelty believed that waterproof fabric just kept the moisture in the pack, rather than evaporating out. I'd not bother with the spray, as only a very few specialized packs are really waterproof any way. Line it, keep your critical things (sleeping bag, clothes) in good sacks, or get a cover. Don't worry, you'll be fine whatever you choose to do.

Lawn Sale
09-06-2008, 22:07
The next time you're in the Whites, stop by http://www.raggedmountain.com/ they make their own gear and have hip belts in stock. I have also bought many repair items from them, from Gore-Tex sheets to any zipper you can think of.

Save the waterproofing spray for the tent, if it needs it. If not, use it on some pants or a rainjacket, but I second the pack comment. I used to use trash bags and a pack cover, which are inexpensive.

As to Leatherback (the trail name we gave him), he was looking pretty ragged after 3 days of rain on the 100-Mile in that leather jacket.

Rocketman
09-07-2008, 10:41
My boiler plate post on this topic.. :)

Quality Gear on the Cheap:

Finally, for high altitude/desert hiking I suggest a long sleeve polyester dress shirt for the princely sum of $4 from many thrift stores. I've used this type of shirt for literally several thousand miles of backpacking. The short sleeve version works well for East coast backpacking.

I wonder if you don't mean polyester/cotton blend dress shirt.

The reason is that I have never been able to find a "pure polyester" men's dress shirt. Ladies, yes, Men's, no.

rafe
09-07-2008, 10:47
I wonder if you don't mean polyester/cotton blend dress shirt.

The reason is that I have never been able to find a "pure polyester" men's dress shirt. Ladies, yes, Men's, no.

Check out blair.com. I don't know about "fashionable." But I looked in all sorts of mall stores for synthetic (non-cotton) flannel. Finally found it at Blair for $10.

Two Speed
09-07-2008, 13:06
So, obvously the old pack does not have bladder compatibility. I do have a water bladder, should I just shove it in somewhere, or forget about it??

What should I take instead, a two liter soda bottle??Either way will work. Of course two one liter bottles will work just fine, too. Pick whatever works best with the pack you have.

Also there is the $300 challenge. Sgt Rock has a good one (http://hikinghq.net/300_challenge.html) on his site, and I think that theme has come up here and on some other websites.

Random thoughts:

Not all expensive gear is good gear. I've bought some pretty pricey stuff that turned out to be a bust.

Sometimes gear is a substitute for skill. Basically, the more skill you have the less gear you need.

In the name of all that's holy DO NOT fall for the implicit theme in outdoor advertising that you need every glitzy piece of crap or your life is at risk.

Yes, you do need a basic kit, but beyond that more crap is just that many more items to keep organized. It's up to you to determine what that basic kit consists of, and to identify and aquire the skills that will allow you to hike safely where and when you get out.

Rocketman
09-07-2008, 21:12
Check out blair.com. I don't know about "fashionable." But I looked in all sorts of mall stores for synthetic (non-cotton) flannel. Finally found it at Blair for $10.

The only (non-cotton) flannel shirts for men now on blair.com are acrylic. These are what I use on a limited budget for active winter wear - when I can't afford a washable wool Pendleton shirt - "the real thing".

So, I am nowhere closer to understanding what the heck a "men's polyester dress shirt" is than when I started. Incidently, the men's department at the mall store figured that whatever was meant wasn't what was said, because he hadn't seen a men's polyester (all polyester) dress shirt in an awfully long time.

rafe
09-07-2008, 21:18
The only (non-cotton) flannel shirts for men now on blair.com are acrylic. These are what I use on a limited budget for active winter wear - when I can't afford a washable wool Pendleton shirt - "the real thing".

Right. I've got both. But let's not forget that this thread is about cheap gear. The blair shirt is $10. The Pendleton is $70.

WetBottom
09-07-2008, 21:33
I'm not sure how much I need to know about men's shirts...given that I'm not a man. So, if the fabrics recommended are easier to find in women's shirts, well then I'm in luck. :) I do already own a good amount of outdoorsy clothing, so hopefully that's not something I need to buy a lot more of.

Anyway- wild new developments in our gear finds! The boyfriend came back from visiting with his family with two new backpacks.

Now, his family has to be the least outdoorsy people I know, but for some reason they had backpacks!

One of them is this thing http://image59.webshots.com/759/6/14/52/2949614520100048447TWGQXK_ph.jpg Which is a monster, and has about 5,000 straps.

The other one is a small blaze orange older pack. Sort've looks like a cheap version of the Kelty. But it may fit me better? But then again... it may be too small for my stuff.

I should get organized and take pictures of all this stuff. I could totally do that $300 challenge, as long as you don't have to count the value of stuff people give you.

Maybe the third pack is just a sign that I should rope another unsuspecting person into woods-wandering with me.

Lawn Sale
09-07-2008, 23:35
Not all expensive gear is good gear. I've bought some pretty pricey stuff that turned out to be a bust.

Sometimes gear is a substitute for skill. Basically, the more skill you have the less gear you need.

In the name of all that's holy DO NOT fall for the implicit theme in outdoor advertising that you need every glitzy piece of crap or your life is at risk.

Yes, you do need a basic kit, but beyond that more crap is just that many more items to keep organized. It's up to you to determine what that basic kit consists of, and to identify and aquire the skills that will allow you to hike safely where and when you get out.

This could not have been said better...

Almost all the gear I have (with the exception of my winter stuff, that's a whole different topic) was bought to save weight or make life a little easier. Some of it is JUNK and I make no bones about it to anyone, including the manufacturer. There is no price you can put on knowledge.

Wags
09-07-2008, 23:57
you could just cut some of your blue pad up and duct tape it to your hipbelt for a temporary fix until you find a new hipbelt or w/e

a 99 cent emergency poncho from kmart also does a nice job of keeping your pack dry. it won't last forever, but for 99 cents what the heck

WetBottom
09-08-2008, 00:03
I probably could try to give the hipbelt some padding. It's just this narrow canvas thing.

I was planning on bringing heavy duty trashbags for various uses. Such as keeping things dry.

Which I'm sure will make me look classy. :)

Rocketman
09-08-2008, 08:12
Right. I've got both. But let's not forget that this thread is about cheap gear. The blair shirt is $10. The Pendleton is $70.

Finally, for high altitude/desert hiking I suggest a long sleeve polyester dress shirt for the princely sum of $4 from many thrift stores. I've used this type of shirt for literally several thousand miles of backpacking. The short sleeve version works well for East coast backpacking. And, I'm still trying to understand the above darned quote.

Thank you for your comments on the winter shirt from acrylic at blair.com, but they aren't relevant to the "polyester dress shirt" that is so good for high altitude/desert hiking.

Sounds like you say what you want to, not particularly answering a persistent question. Well, it is an election year.......

WetBottom
09-10-2008, 22:22
My water filter came today. It seems heavier than I was expecting for some reason, but it says it only weighs 11 ounces.

So, despite what curiousity did to the cat, I gathered up what I have and did a little packing of my pack.

It came in at 13lbs.

We still need a tent, which I think will weigh 4lbs. We hopefully can split that weight between us, so another 2lbs. And probably another 1lb of things I'm forgetting... lighters, matches, maps etc.

Then just add food and water... and trashbags for various uses.

I think I'm doing okay for weight... ?

Unless my pet rock gives me those sad doe eyes as I'm leaving.

rafe
09-10-2008, 22:25
A good start. It took me years to get to under 20 lbs.

WetBottom
09-10-2008, 22:30
Hey my goal is just to get under 35lbs.

How much does food per day usually weigh?

Mags
09-10-2008, 22:34
because he hadn't seen a men's polyester (all polyester) dress shirt in an awfully long time.

A thrift store tends to have clothing that is quite a bit older than what is in the mall... Perhaps if I changed it to NON-COTTON dress shirt you'd quit your kvetching? They are all petrochemical based synthetics... The article is about CHEAP gear not "persnickety people who go to the freakin' mall to buy cheap gear"

:)

But what do I know. Perhaps if I hiked more... ;)

But, wait..through the power of Google (rather than malls):
http://www.globalsources.com/manufacturers/100-Polyester-Shirt.html

To be more specific:
http://novotex.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008815580082/pdtl/Mens-casual/1005827027/Mens-Casual-Shirt.htm

Feel free to look in your thrift store OR retro shop for your 100% POLYESTER shirt (or synthetic..same fricken difference).

I paid $4 for mine...

WetBottom
09-10-2008, 23:03
Um, yeah... so anyway... I don't have a stove, and I'm not planning on buying one this fall, so I'll probably just pack dry meals. I don't know if that will weight more, or less.

For some reason I packed a mess kit in my little weighing... I guess I don't need the mess kit if I don't have a stove.

Lawn Sale
09-10-2008, 23:51
I may have a Whisperlite if you're interested...

WetBottom
09-10-2008, 23:57
We could probably afford to buy a used stove.

I just feel like a stove may push me over the edge of overwhelmed-with-gear-I-don't-know-how-to-use. Maybe that's just crazy...

I probably should talk to the man of the house. For all I know he doesn't want to eat nothing but trail mix for two days and a stove could be super important.

mudhead
09-11-2008, 08:00
Spend $15 on an Energizer headlight from Walmart. Good investment.

Quart Ziplocks, and toilet paper. Lexan spoon=$0.50. (Big size, for me.)

You may change alot of stuff, regardless of research, so get some things that you will not mind replacing, $wise.

IceAge
09-11-2008, 11:06
We could probably afford to buy a used stove.

I just feel like a stove may push me over the edge of overwhelmed-with-gear-I-don't-know-how-to-use. Maybe that's just crazy...

I probably should talk to the man of the house. For all I know he doesn't want to eat nothing but trail mix for two days and a stove could be super important.

Take a look in the homemade gear forums for information on alcohol stoves. They are often made from trash you have lying around and are easy to use!

WetBottom
09-11-2008, 13:19
I have a head lamp. My boyfriend says it makes me look like an alien... but it might be fun to pretend to be an alien in the woods.

I'll need to pick up ziplock bags and such for various things.

Maybe later tonight I'll draw up a list of what I have, and what I need. I still need a sweater or something.

I'll have to think more on the stove thing...

Wags
09-11-2008, 14:14
i often put my headlamp on when i'm trying to seduce my gf. she thinks i look ridiculous w/ mine on heheheh.

really look into make your own stove. it won't cost anything b/c there's like 5000 variations you can build, so you're bound to find one that is made of materials you already have. then you just have to buy some denatured alcohol.

just google 'build alcohol stove hiking' and you'll turn up a lot of results...

figure 2lbs of food per day per person (don't forget the most important item of all - coffee)

Mags
09-11-2008, 14:48
zenstoves.net

:)

WetBottom
09-11-2008, 20:32
Wow, that one little website is so full of info! Thanks Mags!

atraildreamer
09-13-2008, 11:57
If you live near a college, cruise by on trash day when the kids are going home for the summer. I scored a Kelty Tioga backpack, a Coleman backpack and an office chair (necessary for surfing WB :D).

Outside my apartment building, someone had tossed out an army winter sleeping bag and a backpack. :)

If you live in the northeast, check out the Ocean State Job Lot stores. They sell hiking poles for ~ $10, and often put them on sale. I picked up a 2 man pop tent there for $13. :banana They also have a lot of great socks for hunting and hiking.

Walmart, especially at the end of season, has a lot of good close-out buys in the sporting goods section. :clap A lot of Walmart's stuff is made by the same factories that make the pricier stuff found at outfitter's, etc.

For food, check out the big bargain stores, such as PriceRite. Ramen Noodles, 8 for a $1, their version of Lipton Noodles, $0.67/package, etc.

Lots of good stuff at the dollar stores.

Savers stores has a lot of good, used stuff. Got a down jacket there for $8.

You don't have to be rich to hike...just be smart in using your available $$$. You can accomplish a lot! ;)

partinj
09-13-2008, 12:15
Go to your local thrift stores like in early post the can be a gold mine.I have found stoves backpack sleeping bags ifound a msr pocket rocket still in the box got it for $3 couple days back found a REI goose down jacket with the tags ssitll on it got that for $5 look it up on their site it sell for $279.00 can get any better that that. Have fun Looking oh yet don't forget yard sales.

WetBottom
09-15-2008, 19:54
Unfortunately thrift stores have the worst hours. They are always closed when I'm available!

I went to REI today. I didn't hardly buy anything... the prices made me almost pass out.

I was thinking of getting a sleeping bag liner. You wouldn't believe how much they wanted for a peice of cloth.

They were all out of the Pocket Rocket (curiously named stove...), and the next cheapest stove cost twice as much! How can they charge so much for what looks like about $0.50 worth of metal?

I just bought some maps and that book As Far as the Eye Can See.

cowboy nichols
09-15-2008, 20:47
Unfortunately thrift stores have the worst hours. They are always closed when I'm available!

I went to REI today. I didn't hardly buy anything... the prices made me almost pass out.

I was thinking of getting a sleeping bag liner. You wouldn't believe how much they wanted for a peice of cloth.

They were all out of the Pocket Rocket (curiously named stove...), and the next cheapest stove cost twice as much! How can they charge so much for what looks like about $0.50 worth of metal?

I just bought some maps and that book As Far as the Eye Can See.
You can make a silk liner ,I bought silk fabric and sew it myself Cost under 10.00

WetBottom
09-15-2008, 20:50
They wanted $60 for the silk liner! For that I want it to come with magical properties!

partinj
09-16-2008, 12:24
Hey Wetbottom I was at walmart today they have a coleman peak 1 stove it will take the same fuel as the msr and snow peak stove they also sell the verison of the fuel can for 4.29 oh yet the stove was only $20.00 it say it will boil a 1 liter pot of water in 3 1/2 min. not bad. If you have a big Lots where you are check them out for headlamps and sleeping bag and camping gear.
:sun

rafe
09-16-2008, 12:52
Partinj: IIRC, the Coleman Peak 1 is/was the generic equivalent of the MSR Whisperlite... only a bit heavier, and with an attached tank. Otherwise, it's not a bad little stove -- but with most of the same pros and cons of the Whisperlite.

WetBottom
09-16-2008, 13:08
I think I saw that stove while I was at Walmart. It seemed pretty heavy, but maybe it was just the packaging. I could go back and contemplate it.

I'm sort've leaning towards waiting till next spring to get a stove. Or I could ask for one for x-mas!

I don't know if we have Big Lots. I've never been in one...

Feral Bill
09-16-2008, 15:00
Hey Wetbottom I was at walmart today they have a coleman peak 1 stove it will take the same fuel as the msr and snow peak stove they also sell the verison of the fuel can for 4.29 oh yet the stove was only $20.00 it say it will boil a 1 liter pot of water in 3 1/2 min. not bad. If you have a big Lots where you are check them out for headlamps and sleeping bag and camping gear.
:sun
These are heavy, about a pound and a half. They are also cranky in cold weather. For an inexpensive stove I'd look at a canister type. When you can afford it get a SVEA.

WetBottom
09-16-2008, 21:08
Our tent arrived today! It's a Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight. We bought it used off ebay for $60 including shipping. It supposedly has a 1/4 inch tear in the rainfly.

I need to locate the tear, and repair it.

I did take the tent out, and sort've set it up. Then I got inside... and squealed like a 5 year old girl on x-mas. :)

Lawn Sale
09-16-2008, 22:36
For repairs, get some of the nylon sticky-back sections in the Arts & Crafts department at Wal-Mart. Pull the pieces together on the tent and put a piece on the underside. Coat the outside along the tear with some Seam Sealer and it'll last for years. I've fixed many tents from the dump this way and it works fine. Once the patch is applied on the underside, it's permanent, so make sure you place it correctly the first time. The patches are in strips like 3" x 7" and come in a package of 5 or 6 in different colors. I think the cost was like $3. The Seam sealer can be found at most hardware or camping stores for like $5, maybe even at Wal-Mart.

The SD Clip Flashlight is a good tent, but it may be a little cramped for 2.

WetBottom
09-17-2008, 07:24
Yeah, it's not big. It's a good thing we like eachother. :) In college we spent many nights sleeping on those little single beds... and our apartment right now is about the size of most people's kitchens. I think we'll manage. We're only planning 1 and 2 night trips for anything in the near future.

I'm more concerned about how to set the tent up on a hard surface. It seems it relies on it's stakes to stay upright. ?

rafe
09-17-2008, 08:28
I'm more concerned about how to set the tent up on a hard surface. It seems it relies on it's stakes to stay upright. ?

That's correct. The Clip Flashlight is not free-standing. Needs stakes, probably four or five minimum.

WetBottom
09-17-2008, 09:17
So, no tent platforms then?

dessertrat
09-17-2008, 09:20
You can use a tent platform if you use short pieces of line to tie to the stakes, and put the stakes in the ground outside the platform, or, depending upon the platform, maybe tie the line to the platform itself.

rafe
09-17-2008, 09:22
So, no tent platforms then?

Not a big problem, really. When there's a will, there's a way. It just takes some ingenuity. Bring along some extra string or twine, and maybe some tiny self-threaded eye hooks, like the one in the upper-left of the image below. It's a bit smaller than actual size. You should be able to find these at any hardware store.

You can also jam small sticks or twigs into the spaces between the planks on the platform, and tie off to those. If you're talking about the AMC tent platforms, I'm sure the caretaker will help you out if you ask.

http://www.bestnutsbolts.com/fitting7.jpg

WetBottom
09-17-2008, 09:26
There's a caretaker?

rafe
09-17-2008, 09:30
There's a caretaker?

I suppose it depends on the location and the season. But yeah, they don't call it the "Appalachian Money Club" for nothing. Liberty Springs tent platform has had a caretaker (in summer) since... forever. I think there's a nominal fee, maybe $5.00 or so. It's been a long time since I've stayed at an AMC tent platform.

Wags
09-17-2008, 09:54
wetbottom may i really suggest you look into building your own alcohol stove before going out and spending $30-$100 on one. i was very close to buying a snowpeak canister stove and finally broke down and built a little supercat. i pocketed the money and am every bit pleased w/ the free one (got my catfood cans from local vet center and neighbors).

i have an old, 1 person version of the clip flashlight. i really like it. desertrat's and terp's ideas should take care of the tent platform issue

sounds like you're well on your way. now the best time of year for hiking is almost here!!!

WetBottom
09-17-2008, 11:13
I could fill a book of things I don't know.

I am basically all set to go out on a trip. I just need to find some time... I hope the cold doesn't come too soon!

Lawn Sale
09-17-2008, 23:30
I suppose it depends on the location and the season. But yeah, they don't call it the "Appalachian Money Club" for nothing. Liberty Springs tent platform has had a caretaker (in summer) since... forever. I think there's a nominal fee, maybe $5.00 or so. It's been a long time since I've stayed at an AMC tent platform.

I was there last weekend (Liberty Springs tent platforms) and the cost is now $8.00 a night, but it's only staffed on the weekends from now until mid-October, then it's not staffed for the winter. Bring a cold weather sleeping bag.

LIhikers
09-18-2008, 07:31
....I'm more concerned about how to set the tent up on a hard surface. It seems it relies on it's stakes to stay upright. ?

My wife and I use a tent that needs to be staked out, and as others have said, it's no problem. First, make sure each tie out point has a good length of line attached to it. I used mason line on our tent. Then, when you can't get a stake into the ground, for one reason or another, tie the line to something like a log or tree, or pull the line taught and put a rock or other immovable object on the line to hold it in place.

atraildreamer
10-08-2008, 14:16
Walmart, especially at the end of season, has a lot of good close-out buys in the sporting goods section.

Last week I found sporks on closeout for $2.48 each...I bought all 5 on display. :)

JRiker
10-12-2008, 22:51
had a clip flashlight for a while. liked the tent, but it's too big and heavy for just one, and now too small for 3 (with one more on the way, hope it's a boy). non-free standing is no problem. if you're under six feet, you can probably use your pack to hold up the foot end (don't kick it) and then you just need to tie off the head end. i would always tie off to trees or shove one of my packstays into the ground and use it to tie off to....