PDA

View Full Version : Help with school assignment? Thanks!

santa
09-05-2008, 22:09
I have a english project due on tues of next week. The project is that I have to argue a point on a topic. The topic I chose was backpacking. I have to argue my point only through pictures. How could I argue a point on backpacking. I am going backpacking tommarrow and would like to take pictures for my project while there. So If you can give me an idea for backpacking that would be great. I'm leaving at 7 am tommarrow so a speedy response that would be awesome.

Example she gave in class

Topic: Cheerleading is not a sport
or Why you should where your seatbelt

Thanks guys.

WetBottom
09-05-2008, 22:14
I'm no help, but that sounds like a really fun assignment!

santa
09-05-2008, 22:16
yeah my english teacher is pretty sweet.

envirodiver
09-05-2008, 22:17
Take photos of people wearing backpacks and the vistas that you get when backpacking that nobody else gets to see.

But, dude regardless of what you photograph you had best check your spelling or you'll get a sure F.

santa
09-05-2008, 22:21
haha yeah im not the best spelling but it doesnt bother me :) thank god for spell check.

Egads
09-05-2008, 22:22
Prove that backpacking is more fun with less weight

OHBob
09-05-2008, 22:23
Hey, all English Teachers are sweet:sun
For your topic, think about some of the "discussions" you see here on WB. Lots of topics debated back and forth, alcohol stove vs. whatever, ultralight or traditional, to use a shelter or not, to bear bag or not. Those plus several dozen other topics are raised here often, so that could get you started or that we need more trails, or need more volunteer trail workers.

Or maybe be more philosphical and prove a point about why one should go backpacking, or what one gains from being out on the trail.

hope this helps

envirodiver
09-05-2008, 22:24
haha yeah im not the best spelling but it doesnt bother me :) thank god for spell check.

I agree, spellcheck is a godsend.

WetBottom
09-05-2008, 22:24
I think it'd be pretty interesting for you to argue that people don't need to learn spelling at proper grammar because of the invention of computers.

I wouldn't agree with you, but that would be an interesting argument. Especially challenging to argue with pictures.

santa
09-05-2008, 22:30
I think it'd be pretty interesting for you to argue that people don't need to learn spelling at proper grammar because of the invention of computers.

I wouldn't agree with you, but that would be an interesting argument. Especially challenging to argue with pictures.

Interesting and pretty much true. But it would make a tough project.:-? And wouldnt nearly be as fun.

santa
09-05-2008, 22:31
Hey, all English Teachers are sweet:sun
For your topic, think about some of the "discussions" you see here on WB. Lots of topics debated back and forth, alcohol stove vs. whatever, ultralight or traditional, to use a shelter or not, to bear bag or not. Those plus several dozen other topics are raised here often, so that could get you started or that we need more trails, or need more volunteer trail workers.

Or maybe be more philosphical and prove a point about why one should go backpacking, or what one gains from being out on the trail.

hope this helps

Thanks that did help Ill look around the site for a bit. I will end up doing what you say unless someone gives me an awesome idea right here.

minnesotasmith
09-06-2008, 08:58
I have a english project due on tues of next week. The project is that I have to argue a point on a topic. The topic I chose was backpacking. I have to argue my point only through pictures. How could I argue a point on backpacking. I am going backpacking tommarrow and would like to take pictures for my project while there. So If you can give me an idea for backpacking that would be great. I'm leaving at 7 am tommarrow so a speedy response that would be awesome.

Example she gave in class

Topic: Cheerleading is not a sport
or Why you should where your seatbelt

Thanks guys.

Show pics of hikers that either A) spend their money and time on booze, cigs, motels, partying, etc, and run out of time and money and have to drop off the Trail, and B) those who don't spend their time and money on such, and get to Katahdin in a single season (without yellow-blazing). That'd take under 10 pictures to do minimally.

Alternative story lines:

A) adequately/inadequately protecting one's food while on the Trail from animal food thieves such as mice and bears

B) how unleased dogs endanger themselves and everyone around them, whereas many hikers don't mind a leashed friendly dog (outside of shelters, of course).

C) How care in selecting water sources and treatment of water tends to minimize illness on the Trail, while carelessness in those area, tends to lead to the opposite. (Anyone want a sip of Potomoc River or Southern pond water?)