PDA

View Full Version : Getting from Ohio to Springer in March

clong
09-06-2008, 08:28
What do you feel the best/cheapest way to get from Southern Ohio to Springer is? I am trying to just get an idea of what I am going to have to pay and what planning it will have to take just to get to the trail. It will be early or mid March. I have access Cincinnati/Columbus/Lexington, Ky, pretty much anything in a fairly close vicinity to Dayton. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jason of the Woods
09-06-2008, 08:44
Rent a car one way. We did from KY and it was around $100. Then Drop that off at the airport and after a ride on MARTA Josh from the Hiker Hostel will snatch you from the train station. I think that everything even staying at the hostel with a send off breakfast was less than $250.

FatMan
09-06-2008, 09:06
My bet is Greyhound. I just priced Cincy to Gainesville at $77. Josh will pickup at Gainesville cheaper than Atl.

You could also hitchhike from Gainesville which would obviously be the cheapest, but it could take awhile depending on your luck.

I also regularly pass through Gainesville on my way to my Grassy Gap home. If timing is right I could get you to Springer for a nice bottle contribution for my bar. I am not a licensed shuttle so I do not accept cash.

clong
09-06-2008, 09:12
I was thinking a bus might be the best bet and then just figure it out from there, I'm only 22 so I don't know about renting a car or not

Jack Tarlin
09-06-2008, 10:43
Think twice about the bus. Amtrak recently messed up a reservation so I had to take Greyhound from Washington DC to North Georgia. The trip was an unmitigated nightmare from beginning to end. Not one leg of the trip was on time, all buses were oversold, layovers were indescribable, etc. I ended up arriving at least eight hours late. Unless you think that killing three hours in the Richmond bus terminal in the middle of the night is a good time, I would NOT consider Greyhound, nor will I ever willingly take a bus again for more than a few hours. Get a cheap flight, take the train, rent a car, or go on-line and try to find someone who's driving and share the trip expenses with them, but God help you if you decide to go by bus.

Red Hat
09-06-2008, 12:31
My trip from Texas to Maine on Greyhound went just fine (except for the flat tire in LA that meant my baggage was delayed a couple of days). From Cincinnatti to Gainesville shouldn't have a lot of overbooking. Make sure to get your luggage moved from bus to bus yourself (you can do it unless there is a flat tire on an interstate) I would take Greyhound again without hesitation. And definitely check into the Hiker Hostel. Their thruhiker special is amazing!

Kirby
09-06-2008, 21:03
If you pick an odd time of the day, you could most likely fly pretty cheaply. Just choose a week day early in the morning.

Kirby

flemdawg1
09-09-2008, 15:47
Airtran from Dayton to Atlanta is only $130.

Monkeywrench
09-10-2008, 07:48
If you leave early enough you could walk...

Boudin
09-10-2008, 08:01
We always have a big hiker party around St. Patrick's Day. If you can get to Pennsylvania, you can probably help with gas and get a ride with GEEK. He comes to Blairsville every March. Once you are in Blairsville, we can get you to Springer. I must warn you though; some hikers have had to throw up beer and tequila before breakfast and on their way to Springer. If this sounds like an option for you PM me and we can start making plans.

NICKTHEGREEK
09-10-2008, 08:13
Anybody hop a freight anymore? Best way to start hoboin'

hammock engineer
09-10-2008, 09:42
You get what you pay for. Cincy (CVG) airport is one of the most expensive in the country. Columbus (CMH) or Dayton are usually good deals.

I took the greyhound from Columbus to Bangor, ME last year. Yes it took almost a full day and yes I was never on the bus I was scheduled, but it only cost $65. Just buy 2 weeks out. Also get there early and be waiting. When I got to the bus station I was about the 6th person in line. They only had room for 4. Instead of arguing if this happens, find someone and tell them where you need to go. They stopped a bus that was leaving and put me on it. It took me out of the way, but I got to Bangor the same time the bus I was originally scheduled on got there.

The key with Greyhound for me was always being nice and asking. You will get where you are going, just might take a little longer. Same for air travel. If you pay to get somewhere, you should get there eventually.

smaaax
09-12-2008, 11:02
You get what you pay for. Cincy (CVG) airport is one of the most expensive in the country. Columbus (CMH) or Dayton are usually good deals.

I took the greyhound from Columbus to Bangor, ME last year. Yes it took almost a full day and yes I was never on the bus I was scheduled, but it only cost $65. Just buy 2 weeks out. Also get there early and be waiting. When I got to the bus station I was about the 6th person in line. They only had room for 4. Instead of arguing if this happens, find someone and tell them where you need to go. They stopped a bus that was leaving and put me on it. It took me out of the way, but I got to Bangor the same time the bus I was originally scheduled on got there.

The key with Greyhound for me was always being nice and asking. You will get where you are going, just might take a little longer. Same for air travel. If you pay to get somewhere, you should get there eventually.

Greyhound doesn't do advanced purchase discounts anymore. Flying can be cheaper.

Graystreet
02-27-2009, 04:46
If you can drive about 2 hours maybe a little less if you drive fast, I got a plane ticket out of Akron/Canton for $81.60 one way. Non stop departure on march 20th to Atlanta heartsfield .

dzierzak
02-27-2009, 13:54
From Cincinnati - Amtrak to Charlottesville, change trains, get off at Gainesville, GA. Shuttle from there.

Seems like it takes forever - 21 hours on the train with a 6 hour layover at Charlottesville. $138 one way.

double d
02-27-2009, 14:13
Just get there Clong, just get there.