PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted, please?

Jason of the Woods
09-06-2008, 08:55
I have decided to head back to the trail in early October through Thanksgiving and walk south to clear my head a little. My question is where is a good place to jump in for a good two month hike? I've got some ideas though I have never hiked it north of VA so I am looking for some suggestions.?

minnesotasmith
09-06-2008, 09:12
I have decided to head back to the trail in early October through Thanksgiving and walk south to clear my head a little. My question is where is a good place to jump in for a good two month hike? I've got some ideas though I have never hiked it north of VA so I am looking for some suggestions.?

Go south from either Hanover, NH or Harpers Ferry, WV (or perhaps Duncannon). Both are nice, pretty areas that aren't excessively rugged overall, and won't be too hot nor glacierville when you're there. Going SOBO for a section hike of that length at that time of year would moderate the weather on both ends for you.

Jason of the Woods
09-06-2008, 09:16
One of my tops is to start outside of Pittsfield MA.

Cookerhiker
09-06-2008, 09:55
All of the possibilities mentioned - Pittsfield, Duncannon, Harpers Ferry are good for the time of year as are points in between such as Rt. 22 in NY (where you can travel to by train from NYC), Bear Mountain (also easily available via public transportation), Delaware Water Gap, Port Clinton. You'll have some cold weather particularly at night sometimes but not on the scale of NH and ME. Remember the daylight hours are shorter.

I have hiked in November in NY east of the Hudson and PA from Boiling Springs to Duncannon. One caution which many don't think of: the freshly-fallen oak leaves when dry are very slippery and will slow you down particularly on steep descents in Harriman Park and other places. Example: in 2005, I hiked from Bear Mountain to Rt. 22 twice - once in June (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=102837), once in November (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=121875). Although June was hot & muggy, I made much better time (albeit with longer daylight) even though November's crisp Fall weather was more ideal for hiking.

Have a great hike!

Homer&Marje
09-06-2008, 11:15
Could start in Jersey and hike NoBo to North Adams MA, nice paced hike for 2 months, get to mass for good January winter hiking. Or, do the opposite and leave MA just in the beginning of the snows of december. Have fun

rafe
09-06-2008, 11:17
Could start in Jersey and hike NoBo to North Adams MA, nice paced hike for 2 months...

I think you meant... two weeks, no? Or make it three weeks if you want to dawdle a bit.

Homer&Marje
09-06-2008, 11:23
Did my math wrong... I was looking at Marylands mileage and Jersey at the same time... Maryland to North Adams or the reverse, be a nice 10 mile average with a few days off to "reflect"

And yes Jersey to North Adams would be a wonderful 2 week hike:D

ZeroC
09-06-2008, 13:18
Unless you want/can deal with snow you'd probably want to start south of VT. I've been skiing at killington on the first week of October before.

rafe
09-06-2008, 13:32
Unless you want/can deal with snow you'd probably want to start south of VT. I've been skiing at killington on the first week of October before.

I've skied Killy at the end of October, in man-made snow... and that was about 20 years ago. Of course, early-season snow can and does happen, but IIRC, it doesn't usually last long. The few ski areas that are open on Halloween are running limited trails and man-made snow.

shelterbuilder
09-06-2008, 13:42
Wherever you finally decide to go, remember that there will be hunters in the woods - blaze orange is a nice color choice for that time of year!

Jason of the Woods
09-06-2008, 20:31
Thanks for the suggestions. I would actually rather enjoy a bit of snow. I did spend 3 months out starting in January of this year so the cold isn't much of a concern although I don't own cramp-ons.:D

rafe
09-07-2008, 00:36
Thanks for the suggestions. I would actually rather enjoy a bit of snow. I did spend 3 months out starting in January of this year so the cold isn't much of a concern although I don't own cramp-ons.:D

Crampons are critical, IMO, if there's any significant chance of snow. In certain conditions, the trail might be impassable without them. Oddly, they're not needed in deep snow. Where they're most critical is when you get some melting and then re-freezing -- in other words, on ice.

Jason of the Woods
09-07-2008, 08:36
There were times this past winter that I wish I'd had them. Has anyone tried the bungie tyoe that stretch over your boot?

LIhikers
09-07-2008, 21:09
There were times this past winter that I wish I'd had them. Has anyone tried the bungie tyoe that stretch over your boot?

I have a pair of Stablicers and they work really well.
But don't get the ones that stretch over the shoe, they come off as you walk on uneven terrain. Instead, get the ones that use the velcro straps.

minnesotasmith
09-08-2008, 09:24

Which are the lightest ones (never mind price) that will do the job? We're going to be in some winter conditions, hitting the AT around late Jan., so this is definitely a concern...

MyName1sMud
09-08-2008, 13:57
So where do you wanna spend your time? South or North?

Jason of the Woods
09-08-2008, 15:39
I'm thinking south. I may go on down to FL and bum around there for the winter.