PDA

View Full Version : google earth overlay

dismalhiker
09-06-2008, 13:56
is there an overlay for the moutains to sea trail? have just become more intrested in this trail and would love to see it on google earth

Mr. Parkay
09-06-2008, 15:00
is there an overlay for the moutains to sea trail? have just become more intrested in this trail and would love to see it on google earth

Nope.. I don't think one exists yet.

Mr. Parkay
09-06-2008, 15:03
Nope.. I don't think one exists yet.
Although.... I'd like to see one, since I've searched around on the internet on several occasions

See Bee
09-06-2008, 18:37
I sent an email to Kate Dixon, Executive Director and to Jeff Brewer, President of the Friends of the Mountains-to-Sea Trail asking if they know of one. Kate and Jeff have always responded to the emails I send.

Strategic
09-07-2008, 12:44
In this, as in so much else, many of the lesser known trails are neglected. It actually takes a good deal of effort to construct a proper Google Earth track for a trail (at least if you care about being accurate, which everyone who wants one certainly does.) That means that we generally only see this for the Triple Crown trails and not much more.

Unfortunately, it would be good if this were otherwise; it would help to get people who might support and use these other trails to notice them and value them. It also makes the job of planning for these trails a great deal easier, since they often have only one source of info otherwise; their guidebooks, which may or may not be of the quality that we'd like due to cost, ability to produce, and a whole host of other difficulties that the local trail clubs who champion them are often saddled with. So it seems likely that what you seek doesn't exist but that it really needs to.

So what's to do? Well, do what I'm doing: I'm currently working on a track for the Horse-Shoe Trail here in PA (though it needs a good bit more work before I'd even dare to call it a beta and release it.) It needs both good maps skills (the old-fashioned kind the Boy Scouts and Army still teach) and the ability to translate that into the format of Google Earth, but that's not really beyond plenty of hikers.

So why do it? Because these lesser-known trails are often endangered (as the Horse-Shoe is) and need boosting if they're going to survive. They form a part of the great trail systems that make us so different from other countries (even Europe, where they love their trail systems) and bind together the wilderness that is still our heritage. All AT thru-hikers pass the northern terminus of the Horse-Shoe, for instance, up on top of Stoney Mountain just south of Rauch Gap in PA, but few know what it is or that they could follow it all the way to Valley Forge (yes, that Valley Forge) and then follow the Schuylkill River Trail all the way to Philadelphia without ever setting foot off a named trail. That's what we need to promote, and it's what these trails represent, the why of doing things like plotting their Google Earth tracks and getting them out there so that someone will discover a trail they didn't know and go hike it.

So, if one isn't available for the Mountains-to-the-Sea, go out and plot it! I don't mean that as a criticism of you either, but just to say that its up to those of us who care to do something about it.

Odd Thomas
09-07-2008, 13:02
So, if one isn't available for the Mountains-to-the-Sea, go out and plot it! I don't mean that as a criticism of you either, but just to say that its up to those of us who care to do something about it.

I started out this summer thinking I'd check it out, ended up beachwhacking around shore for two weeks. it's really hard to leave the outer banks! I'm thinking this is destined to be a trail full of mostly eastbounders. :p

Mr. Parkay
09-07-2008, 17:09
Well, you guys won't have to wait long for a google earth track... I'll have one finished later on tonight... or tomorrow. Plus, I'll create an elevation profile too... should be interesting

Skidsteer
09-07-2008, 17:39
Well you have my vote for WB member of the year. You are a gold mine Mr. Parkay. Thanks for all you do.

ed bell
09-07-2008, 19:20
Well you have my vote for WB member of the year. You are a gold mine Mr. Parkay. Thanks for all you do.I will second that. Mr. Parkay, thanks again.

See Bee
09-07-2008, 19:24
Since I can't second it, I vote aye to Mr. Parkay (Is it butter?)

I've hiked most of the Asheville to Clingmon's Dome portion. I live two miles from one of the trailheads at the Folk Art Center! I love MST!!!

Mr. Parkay
09-07-2008, 22:19
Here's a link to the google earth forum where I have posted the MST Track. It's not perfect by any means, but it's pretty good. I'll have an elevation profile completed soon.

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=1230831&page=0&vc=#Post1230831

Strategic
09-07-2008, 22:38
Excellent! Well done Mr. Parkay!

Now, if I can just get out and check all those dubious parts of my track on the ground...

Mr. Parkay
09-07-2008, 23:48
Here a link to a big Elevation profile for the MST: Link (http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/8/25/2065958/MST_FULL.pdf)

The profile is backwards... so it starts at the Sea and Goes to The Mountains. The first 500 miles appear to be almost completely flat, however the last couple of hundred miles are pretty bumpy.

Jim Adams
09-08-2008, 00:36
Here's a link to the google earth forum where I have posted the MST Track. It's not perfect by any means, but it's pretty good. I'll have an elevation profile completed soon.

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=1230831&page=0&vc=#Post1230831

Oh....I see how it is....your feet stop hik'in and then your fingers start!!!!!:D

Miss ya Chris.

geek

Mr. Parkay
09-08-2008, 00:38
So what's to do? Well, do what I'm doing: I'm currently working on a track for the Horse-Shoe Trail here in PA (though it needs a good bit more work before I'd even dare to call it a beta and release it.) It needs both good maps skills (the old-fashioned kind the Boy Scouts and Army still teach) and the ability to translate that into the format of Google Earth, but that's not really beyond plenty of hikers.

It's good to hear that you're out there creating tracks too! Personally, I want to see a google earth track and elevation profile for every long distance trail in America. It's nice to have the MST checked off the list!

Mr. Parkay
09-08-2008, 00:39
Oh....I see how it is....your feet stop hik'in and then your fingers start!!!!!:D

Miss ya Chris.

geek

Very true!! I should be "working", but instead I'm messing around with these mapping projects all the time.

ki0eh
09-08-2008, 08:20
Unfortunately, it would be good if this were otherwise; it would help to get people who might support and use these other trails to notice them and value them. It also makes the job of planning for these trails a great deal easier, since they often have only one source of info otherwise; their guidebooks, which may or may not be of the quality that we'd like due to cost, ability to produce, and a whole host of other difficulties that the local trail clubs who champion them are often saddled with. So it seems likely that what you seek doesn't exist but that it really needs to.

So why do it? Because these lesser-known trails are often endangered (as the Horse-Shoe is) and need boosting if they're going to survive. They form a part of the great trail systems that make us so different from other countries (even Europe, where they love their trail systems) and bind together the wilderness that is still our heritage. All AT thru-hikers pass the northern terminus of the Horse-Shoe, for instance, up on top of Stoney Mountain just south of Rauch Gap in PA, but few know what it is or that they could follow it all the way to Valley Forge (yes, that Valley Forge) and then follow the Schuylkill River Trail all the way to Philadelphia without ever setting foot off a named trail. That's what we need to promote, and it's what these trails represent, the why of doing things like plotting their Google Earth tracks and getting them out there so that someone will discover a trail they didn't know and go hike it.

I've been party to discussions and heard about others in a couple of "other trails" groups about officially promoting the use of Google Earth tracks. There is a significant concern from the organizational point of view because the cash generated from the sale of such information is a major source of revenue. Placing geographic information online is viewed as a threat to this revenue stream.

For those who would promote increased use of Google Earth type technology for trail information dissemination, the challenge becomes answering legitimate questions about how the potential for increased visibility and ease of use offsets the financial dependency on ink-on-paper.

Any ideas?

Spiderman-MST
09-08-2008, 12:29
Jeff Brewer here with the FMST. I thru-hiked the MST in the fall of 2003. Google overlay - We have a volunteer that is GPS the entire MST across the state, this is a work in progress. You can view his google map and topo maps - FREE - at www.ncmst.org (http://www.ncmst.org). Thanks for all of the support for the MST, we are putting trail on the ground just as fast as we can. Go MST, GO!

Mr. Parkay
09-08-2008, 15:56
I've been party to discussions and heard about others in a couple of "other trails" groups about officially promoting the use of Google Earth tracks. There is a significant concern from the organizational point of view because the cash generated from the sale of such information is a major source of revenue. Placing geographic information online is viewed as a threat to this revenue stream.

For those who would promote increased use of Google Earth type technology for trail information dissemination, the challenge becomes answering legitimate questions about how the potential for increased visibility and ease of use offsets the financial dependency on ink-on-paper.

Any ideas?

Well, these trails certainly need good ways to finance their construction and maintenance, and I don't have any good solutions... however I don't think google earth is much of a threat. While google earth tracks are are useful while you're sitting at home on the computer, they can't take the place of guidebooks, data books or actual maps. So, in my mind google earth is meant to supplement traditional paper maps and guidebooks, not replace them.

For me, GE is most useful during the planning stages of a hike, since I can get the "big picture" of the trail in relation to the country. Plus I can zoom in to road crossings etc. if I need more detailed info. However, when it comes to actually hiking the trail, I'll always buy some kind of data book (if available).

I think the appalachian trail is a good example, since practically all information relating to this trail is available on the Internet for free, including the ATC's Thruhiker's Companion and various google earth files. Despite this, practically every hiker purchases a guide book anyway...

Mr. Parkay
09-08-2008, 17:23
Jeff Brewer here with the FMST. I thru-hiked the MST in the fall of 2003. Google overlay - We have a volunteer that is GPS the entire MST across the state, this is a work in progress. You can view his google map and topo maps - FREE - at www.ncmst.org (http://www.ncmst.org). Thanks for all of the support for the MST, we are putting trail on the ground just as fast as we can. Go MST, GO!

Excellent, thanks for the info!

Strategic
09-08-2008, 17:29

Any ideas?

I don't really see Google Earth tracks as competing. I don't copy the guidebook, by any means; I've tended to try and keep "value added" info that duplicates the guide out of it and stick to the trail and it's features. What I see the tracks as trying to do is draw in hikers from outside the area who are not likely to hear of or hike the trail otherwise. They're promotion for the trail itself, and ultimately beneficial to the trail clubs, who will end up selling more guides and getting more hikers and interest (and thus defenders, for threatened trails) from a wider area.

Definitely not trying to compete with the Horse-Shoe Trail Club (http://hstrail.org/) as they are a fine set of people trying to save a trail from extinction. Unfortunately, they can't republish the guide very often and the trail changes very rapidly, especially close to the southern end. Trying to make and maintain an accurate track just seem like a worthwhile contribution to supplement the guide, since I'm not exactly a rich donor myself.:D

Mr. Parkay
09-08-2008, 17:31

The topo maps are excellent, I wish I had known about them earlier...

Mr. Parkay
09-08-2008, 17:42
Earlier I mentioned how google earth is good for seeing the "big picture" of a trail. Anyhow, a good example of this happened a few minutes ago when I compared my the MST track with the Benton Mackaye Trail track (http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Number=670580) in Google Earth. I knew that the MST intersected the BMT... but until now I didn't realize that they actually follow the same path for over 7 miles. Anyway, I thought it was interesting.

See Bee
09-09-2008, 07:03
The overlay is great!!

See Bee
09-09-2008, 09:35
couple of pics of Benton MacKaye trail signage from my June MST Smokeys hike:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=27670&c=678
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=27669&catid=member&imageuser=16071

dismalhiker
09-11-2008, 21:51
hey thanks everyone for getting the overlay out there. i am sure it will help me and others in planning.