PDA

View Full Version : new product - worthy

Wise Old Owl
09-06-2008, 20:50
Great news, my wife found this – a chopping mat. Ultra light plastic sheets that protect surfaces & keep food clean. Knifes have little impact. I found it interesting to everyone as an ultralight backpack stiffener & as a clean workplace for food in the wild. Even if you have sat down at a Picnic Table and ate a sandwich, this place mat is worth having. Guess-, she found it at the Dollar Store! That’s right 2 sheets for a dollar ! Perfect for Freezer bag cooking or having a clean place while preparing food. I guess 14 X 12 inches

Good Old Values
Regent Products Corp
River Grove IL 60171

I am not affiliated in anyway to this company, just saw the potential for these mats in a backpack situation.

Mark

Cuffs
09-06-2008, 21:07
If you are eating a sandwich, what do you need it for? And how does it apply to FBC?

Wise Old Owl
09-06-2008, 21:14
I am thinking this would suffice as a clean working table - IE on the ground or if you lay the pack flat the plastic can be on top and keep the pack clean. As for FBC when you place things down on objects after cozy you can keep the dust & wind blown objects off or near your food. In a windy situation I would use this for an additional wind break.

sarbar
09-06-2008, 22:19
I have been known to take a bamboo sushi mat with me so I can have a "clean area" so that cutting mat is a good idea. It is nice to be able to put food down on a relatively clean surface, as well as your knife, spoon, etc. I also use mine to cut cheese on, assemble sammies at lunch, do prep work, etc. Priceless and lightweight!

Cuffs
09-06-2008, 22:33
I also use mine to cut cheese on,

I bet that gives a good resonance doesnt it!?!

Wise Old Owl
09-06-2008, 22:44
Too funny Cuffs... I not allowed to cut the cheese here at WB!

fiddlehead
09-06-2008, 22:53
A little dirt is good for you. Vitamins and Minerals in dirt. Enjoy!

mkmangold
09-07-2008, 02:02
I think a "flat cutting surface" is an overlooked essential area of packing and camping. For my multi-day pack, I put a full silicone-based cutting board in my backpack against my back. For my emergency "Go To" pack, I cut a strip about 2 inches by 8 inches. Am I wrong here, or is a flat surface while camping a necessity or what?

kayak karl
09-07-2008, 07:44
Great news, my wife found this – a chopping mat. Ultra light plastic sheets that protect surfaces & keep food clean. Knifes have little impact. I found it interesting to everyone as an ultralight backpack stiffener & as a clean workplace for food in the wild. Even if you have sat down at a Picnic Table and ate a sandwich, this place mat is worth having. Guess-, she found it at the Dollar Store! That’s right 2 sheets for a dollar ! Perfect for Freezer bag cooking or having a clean place while preparing food. I guess 14 X 12 inches

Good Old Values
Regent Products Corp
River Grove IL 60171

I am not affiliated in anyway to this company, just saw the potential for these mats in a backpack situation.

Mark

i cut up plastic milk and tea containers for alot of light weight stuff. the bottom half of a gal milk holds my cooking pot and stove and give me an extra container to wash in.
for cutting surface i use the same plastic to protect knife and clean surface.

sarbar
09-07-2008, 10:19
A little dirt is good for you. Vitamins and Minerals in dirt. Enjoy!

I think you and my Grandmother had to have been related - she lived on the coast and we'd go on hikes a lot when we were kids. Coast + sandwiches = crunchy wind blown sand. Yuck.

She'd always harp on "it's God's salt and pepper". :eek:

Lol......

fiddlehead
09-07-2008, 11:20
I think you and my Grandmother had to have been related - she lived on the coast and we'd go on hikes a lot when we were kids. Coast + sandwiches = crunchy wind blown sand. Yuck.

She'd always harp on "it's God's salt and pepper". :eek:

Lol......

Thanks, i feel honored.
I too now live on the coast and a little sand is nothing to us.
Nor are a few small ants in the food.
My wife knows which bugs are the tastiest too. (She's from Issan, in northeast Thailand and they eat some things that shock even me and possibly your grandmother too)

atraildreamer
09-09-2008, 11:55
I saw another thread at another website where these plastic mats were made into those neat little folding cups and bowls. Can't remember where :confused: (senior moment...:-?).

russb
09-09-2008, 18:31
I use an el cheapo plastic frisbee I got from some corporate giveaway. Besides being a good cutting board, it makes a good plate, fire fan, snow shovel, emergency paddle, and of course a recreational toy.

mkmangold
09-10-2008, 18:01
I saw another thread at another website where these plastic mats were made into those neat little folding cups and bowls. Can't remember where :confused: (senior moment...:-?).

Here: http://www.orikaso.com/ (domo)
I have a bowl but I'm not impressed. I have to practice folding it and it doesn't stay flat unless I tape the edges down.

Russb: I really like the frisbee idea. I have, however, now drilled holes at one end of my plastic mat and so it also serves as a strainer. Starting to multi-use with it.

NICKTHEGREEK
09-10-2008, 18:41
There's a few ifs at play here-
If you have a job-
and if it's in an office-
and if they use 3 ring binders-
if they are the type that has 2 heavy plastic sheets inside-
they make great cutting boards
if you can liberate them from rthe office to the outdoors.

mkmangold
09-22-2008, 19:36
Here: http://www.orikaso.com/ (domo)
I have a bowl but I'm not impressed. I have to practice folding it and it doesn't stay flat unless I tape the edges down.

Russb: I really like the frisbee idea. I have, however, now drilled holes at one end of my plastic mat and so it also serves as a strainer. Starting to multi-use with it.

I just picked up a foldable bowl at Petco for $2.00. I don't know it's weight since I don't have a scale that sensitive.

NICKTHEGREEK
09-22-2008, 19:58
I just picked up a foldable bowl at Petco for $2.00. I don't know it's weight since I don't have a scale that sensitive.
Use the clear plastic folding bowls from petco all the time(for the mutts) don't sweat the weight, they are virtually impossible to dry completely, those drops of water will bust yer back.