PDA

View Full Version : Most remote shelters

johnnybgood
09-06-2008, 23:50
Started thinking about this after viewing so many on different folks galleries.Can be any shelter/lean-to along the AT or off the beaten path.:-?

shoe
09-07-2008, 01:49
I don't know about remote I think Whitley Gap Shelter is probably the furthest off the trail at 1.2 miles

Jeff
09-07-2008, 06:50
Cloud Pond Lean-to is about 0.5 miles off trail (further than the Handbook says), but well worth the hike. It is in a beautiful setting.

William Douglas shelter is also 0.5 off and used by hikers low on funds because there is no fee. Nearby Stratton Pond shelter charges $5.

By the way, the $5 is really a bargin. That charge gives you free access to all the other pay sites in Vermont. The caretakers do a valuable service.

Hikes in Rain
09-07-2008, 07:36
I remember reading somewhere that Tri-Corner Knob shelter (in the smokies) is considered the most remote spot in Tennessee. Or was it North Carolina? Can't tell you the about the setting, though, since everything looked like the inside of a cloud when I was there.

The Old Fhart
09-07-2008, 09:19
Gray Knob and Crag Camp near Mt Adams in the Whites, owned by the Randolph Mountain Club, are about 1.2 miles off the A.T..

fiddlehead
09-07-2008, 10:32
I think it's that Whitley Gap shelter.
Only one i've never seen I believe.
I remember reading Ed Garvey's book. He felt that he had to go to every shelter and that was a long way off trail. Don't know why he felt that way. Maybe he was the ultimate purist in that regard.

rafe
09-07-2008, 10:45
Limestone Spring in Connecticut, just south of Salisbury... it's a steep 0.5 mi. or so down to the shelter. Decent spring and lots of camping space. If I had it to do over, I'd just kept going a couple more miles and stay in Salisbury.

The Perch (in the Whites) comes to mind also, as does Guyot Shelter.

weary
09-07-2008, 10:52
Cloud Pond Lean-to is about 0.5 miles off trail (further than the Handbook says), but well worth the hike. It is in a beautiful setting.

William Douglas shelter is also 0.5 off and used by hikers low on funds because there is no fee. Nearby Stratton Pond shelter charges $5.

By the way, the $5 is really a bargin. That charge gives you free access to all the other pay sites in Vermont. The caretakers do a valuable service.
Cloud Pond may also be the shelter that is furthest from the nearest source of resupply. It's probably 25-30 miles to the nearest store. And quite a few of those miles are over private logging roads.

Weary

sly dog
09-07-2008, 14:15
Limestone Spring in Connecticut, just south of Salisbury... it's a steep 0.5 mi. or so down to the shelter. Decent spring and lots of camping space. If I had it to do over, I'd just kept going a couple more miles and stay in Salisbury.

The Perch (in the Whites) comes to mind also, as does Guyot Shelter.

just stayed at limestone in CT....wow what a climb down..and we did it in the dark but we were out of water so we decided to go down, thought we would be the only ones but found one of the prinston freshmen groups, saw about 5 of those groups this week up there.

Kerosene
09-07-2008, 21:36
I think you mean, Princeton. ;)

sly dog
09-08-2008, 13:24
I think you mean, Princeton. ;)

Sorry, I went to Penn State(cuz it was easier to spell)

Tin Man
09-08-2008, 13:41
Sorry, I went to Penn State(cuz it was easier to spell)

Go Nittany Lions!

minnesotasmith
09-08-2008, 14:03
Sorry, I went to Penn State

State Pen. ;)