PDA

View Full Version : Coleman Exponent TYL X2 Tent...ne1 tried it?

Ridgeline
09-07-2008, 10:47
I've been looking around for a tent and I came across this coleman tent...to my inexperienced eyes it seems like a good starter tent for someone like myself that is just getting into backpacking....seems light enough(for the price) for me to use by myself, and large enough for when my buddy wants to tag along...just wondering if anyone here has ever used one or knows anything about them....here's the link

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2000000455&categoryid=11070

btw...they list anywhere from $179 to $149 on the various camping store sites...but I can get one brand new on ebay for slightly less than $100.

Doughnut
09-07-2008, 11:27
buy it , try it, see what you like.
As you get more experience, you may decide it's not "right" for you, but by then you'll have a better idea of what is "right" for you.
I use a very old coleman gemini free standing tent for winter camping, Yes, it is a little heavier, however, it has stood up to 60+mph winds and I like it.

doughNut

Jim Adams
09-07-2008, 13:14
Only thing that I noticed with a quick look is that the door may dump water into the tent when opened in a heavy rain. The rest looks good.
Check out a Kelty Gunnison 2.
Bomb proof 3 season, nicer features and lighter...same price range.

geek

Erin
09-07-2008, 20:42
I have always liked Coleman stuff but the Exponent was a bomb for a friend and I. We both got an Exponent (cheaper version of above) a few years ago. The foot pole broke on both of our tents. Mine was on its third use. I have never had a pole break on any other tent and I have had my Kelty for seven years now, hard use, and never had a problem.

Ridgeline
09-10-2008, 00:40
I have always liked Coleman stuff but the Exponent was a bomb for a friend and I. We both got an Exponent (cheaper version of above) a few years ago. The foot pole broke on both of our tents. Mine was on its third use. I have never had a pole break on any other tent and I have had my Kelty for seven years now, hard use, and never had a problem.

Yeah I researched that cheaper version you mentioned and every review I read pretty much said it was junk....the one I linked above had VERY good reviews every where I checked.....and just to update, I just won my auction on Ebay for this tent and I got a steal...brand new for $51.99 +$12.00 shipping....not too bad for a $160 tent!

Doughnut
09-10-2008, 05:39
hiker,
I won a Kelty Crestone on eBay and i love it too! Price was similiar to yours.

DoughNut